Page 19 of 19
Guessing you caught them with Frank? I'm hoping I manage to the next few times I see them, seen them twice with Frank and once with Bill. I mean Bill's vocals are good enough but there's nothing quite like Frank on stage one of my favourite front men haha

Hoping there's a bit more grit to the production come February when the album's released.
Yeah, it was with Frank. He said that people were misreporting the extent of his departure from Suffocation's tour schedule and was planning on coming out pretty often regardless.
The way I read it was that he'd be touring for around 1 or 2 months of each year, then the odd festival or one off show which is still a substantial amount of shows
That was pretty forgettable to be honest, and the production sounds generic as shit
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
That didn't sound too bad to me, though the transition to the 3/4 part could have been smoother... I might also feel a bit warmly towards this because I'm exceptionally blazed, though. C'est la vie.

Okay, so the Mass Obliteration-esque hardcore riffs towards the end were awesome, but slightly out of place... as was the Doro song that just came on in the Soundcloud player, which had an almost identical sounding mix to the Suffo song (especially in regards to drums)
Last edited by Steve08 at Dec 14, 2012,
Bit too thrashy sounding to me. Usually they have those really good thrash breaks like in Thrones of Blood but that new song seems just built around them instead so there's not as much impact when one does show
Quote by zzzHillzzz
Bit too thrashy sounding to me. Usually they have those really good thrash breaks like in Thrones of Blood but that new song seems just built around them instead so there's not as much impact when one does show
That's an excellent point. On the older material, there's usually one or two skank beat parts in a song, adorned with such prime riffage that one must absolutely mosh; I realized this when they played that song when I saw them (as well as many others). Still, this song isn't too bad, though I need to listen to it more to form a better opinion.
Yeah there's just so much more emphasis when one kicks in in the older material. Wish they would add a bit more grit to the production as well getting a bit sick of a lot of my favourite older death metal bands going for the cleanest production they can.
Quote by zzzHillzzz

This, this and this. I'm holding out hope but I really miss Doug Cerrito.
Yeah, the exception quality of Suffocation's 91-98 output can not be attributed solely to Hobbs, I would think; as Cerrito wrote three songs on Hate Eternal's full length, which sound like Suffo to an extent, but are not so cheap as to be wholly derivative of them, and indeed, eclipse the bulk of the material composed by Rutan for that album. I wonder what he's doing these days? Last I heard he declined to take part in the reunion because of work commitments, or something.
Yeah, we have mutual friends that told me he has a sweet job so he pretty much left the metal world. It sucks but you can't really blame him.

What songs did he write for Hate Eternal? I know he wrote 'Nailed To Obscurity and 'Dethroned'. There were more?
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Dec 19, 2012,
It does suck but I can totally understand why he'd want to as he probably makes a much better living off of work than playing death metal, not everyone can be 20 years old with nothing to lose forever, ya know? When I saw them recently Frank even said he needed to work full time to support his family and such, with Suffo being his immediate second priority in life.

And yes, one, Spiritual Holocaust, though I believe he wrote lyrics for those three songs, as well.
Yeah, I saw them at their hall of fame induction show (the one where he had that infamous interview with that retard from Horns up that doesn't know shit about death metal or any of the bands he interviews) and again at a small bar in Brooklyn. The second time he gave the rundown on how he was still going to play all of the east coast shows for the most part so I'm unaffected. haha
I can't believe I never realized that was him too. All of his songs are great tracks.
New song is shit. Suits Nuclear Blast down to a tee.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
New song aside, Suffocation is one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed their set with only three post Despise The Sun songs. They know where it's at.
Yeah, they're still amazing live, and always play at least 70% classics material. Can't argue with that.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but does anyone know where one can find the correct and full lyrics for "Liege of Inveracity"? Because I have been to several different lyric sites and they all have the same incomplete and/or incorrect lyrics.

The lyrics on all the sites start out like this:

Forced into your mind, passed down through the centuries
Cultures will collide, holy wars for what?
Holy book of god, holy book of lies

Chanting scriptures in vain
Hoping to allow to rest
Hopeful peaceful life
Compassion all but gone

Effigy of what's to come
Hopeless, worthless dreams
Sorrow scars your brain
End the weak, all is dead

When I try to read the lyrics while listening to the song, the first paragraph ("Forced into your mind... holy book of lies") matches up with what I hear but during the second riff the lyrics do not match up to the vocals. When they start to match up again its at the second paragraph of the lyrics ("Chanting scriptures... compassion all but gone") during about the third riff of the song.
That's just the way Frank does vocals. When I learned Catatonia to cover with my band I had to go over the lyrics line by line to see which words he skipped or combined into new words that don't exist.
'With the torment and regret of man now deceased
Ghouls are released to destroy the race
Which we call human beings'
-Becomes-
Torment regret man now deceased
Ghouls are released to destroy that
Which we call human beings