Page 9 of 9
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Shadows Of The Sun is in fact my favourite Ulver record, broodingly dark yet soothing and mesmerizing.

If anyone could point me towards anything that sounds like it, I'd be grateful
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
Quote by Dylar
Just because you're too stupid to look past surface instrumentation to actually listen to music doesn't mean the rest of us are. Ulver is the retard version of every genre they pollute, and all their songs are the same.

Facts: learn to deal with them.

Hmm, sweeping generalizations, and elitist faux acumen. Show me proof of your claims, I've listened to all of the older albums and most of the newer stuff, and I do not hear three recycled melodies. If you don't like the band, that's fine, but at least provide evidence for your argument. You don't even have to provide song links, just tell me which ones you think exemplify your point and I'll go do all of the leg work!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
2,379 IQ
Quote by Kepulix
Shadows Of The Sun is in fact my favourite Ulver record, broodingly dark yet soothing and mesmerizing.

If anyone could point me towards anything that sounds like it, I'd be grateful

Perdition City. More specifically, the first three tracks from it, and Nowhere - Catastrophe capture broodingly dark atmosphere very well.

And the newest record too, actually.

Regardless, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Perdition City is my favorite from Ulver. Has the perfect mix of their dark brooding moods, and electronic and other stuff.

Shadows isn't all that special I dont think; it's fairly monotonous.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Cambyses
Insulter of BICH CHRIST
159 IQ
Quote by Burning_Angel
Perdition City. More specifically, the first three tracks from it, and Nowhere - Catastrophe capture broodingly dark atmosphere very well.

And the newest record too, actually.

Regardless, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Perdition City is my favorite from Ulver. Has the perfect mix of their dark brooding moods, and electronic and other stuff.

Shadows isn't all that special I dont think; it's fairly monotonous.

going to agree here, the thing with shadows is it sounds like they are all about to fall asleep other than the solitude cover which i think is fantastic. if they had put some more life into the vocals i would have enjoyed it a lot more
i am the moonstar
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
2,478 IQ
I thought the vocals where fine, especially when they first come in on Eos. I just love how laid back and chilled out the whole album feels.
slopi
39 IQ
Bergtatt owns black metal and Garm is an angel)
jibran
UG
145 IQ
Slopi, you'll get a lot of wankers (me included) who'll disagree with you. I'm just less vocal and tosser-y about it. The others will predictably say something involving the word 'false' and make an allusion to gay anal sex. That said, I love the hell out of Bergtatt.
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden
482 IQ
Bergtatt is a monumental work, no qualms.
Philosophy > Life
Dylar
Dr. Communazi, Ph.D
286 IQ
Quote by The Virtuoso
Hmm, sweeping generalizations, and elitist faux acumen. Show me proof of your claims, I've listened to all of the older albums and most of the newer stuff, and I do not hear three recycled melodies. If you don't like the band, that's fine, but at least provide evidence for your argument. You don't even have to provide song links, just tell me which ones you think exemplify your point and I'll go do all of the leg work!

Virtually every Ulver song uses the same basic pop format, disguised and elaborated with random intro, outro and bridge material (none of which provide any direction or serve any particular creative purpose: they're included solely to provide contrast and the illusion of novelty). Ulver's melodies are almost invariably 3-5 note minor key noodling of the sort that stupid people call "melancholy" and the rest of the world just calls "gay." Vocals typically follow the dominant rhythmic pattern in the singsong patterns usually reserved for children's songs or bad radio music, and the whole package has always been a pander to the vanity of the sorts of people who think that metal + flute = innovation, or who like to pretend that their affection for effeminate lounge music disguised as electronica somehow indicates a preference for the arcane and dangerous.
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden
482 IQ
Err, didn't he ask for specific examples instead of a "sweeping generalization?"
Philosophy > Life
Dylar
Dr. Communazi, Ph.D
286 IQ
Quote by MoogleRancha
Err, didn't he ask for specific examples instead of a "sweeping generalization?"

When an artist uses the same basic approach over and over, one doesn't need "specific examples." Literally any Ulver work can be picked and random, and found to exhibit all or most of the traits outlined above, because all their songs are the same.
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden
482 IQ
Humor me then. Pick two at random for me, if you don't mind, and expound upon your point.
Philosophy > Life
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
Quote by Dylar
When an artist uses the same basic approach over and over, one doesn't need "specific examples." Literally any Ulver work can be picked and random, and found to exhibit all or most of the traits outlined above, because all their songs are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QagTUjDX5_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pPK9LIa34

As usual, the profundity of your acumen is astonishing Dylar, they're completely similar.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
romencer17
Take it easy, but take it
1,928 IQ
you'd understand if you only knew anything about anything
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
Dammit! If only I could see past my own insignificance!
Quote by Senor Kristian
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS
2,988 IQ
new album Messe I​.​X​-​VI​.​X can be streamed here :

http://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/messe-i-x-vi-x
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
duncang
Popular British sitcom
4,352 IQ
Ohhh boy
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Frankly the album's a bit underwhelming. Perhaps my expectations were too high. A lot of it sounds like modern film score (in both good and bad sense), especially Glamour Box and Son of Man. I've listened to it through three times now and Mother of Mercy is without a doubt my favourite.

I guess I'm hoping too much for them to go full-on Shadows of the Sun again.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
Quote by Kepulix
Frankly the album's a bit underwhelming. Perhaps my expectations were too high. A lot of it sounds like modern film score (in both good and bad sense), especially Glamour Box and Son of Man. I've listened to it through three times now and Mother of Mercy is without a doubt my favourite.

On the upside, they're closer to your wishes than mine. I'd love for them to do something like Bergtatt or like their earlier BM output, - but that's a pipe dream if there was one.

"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS
2,988 IQ
Quote by Kepulix

yea ive got to say the album as a whole is a bit underwhelming although it has some reaaally good moments. i was expecting the whole album to be like the live video they put out, but they kinda blew their whole load in that one video lol. mother of mercy is great though.

then I listened to Perdition City and i was like why even bother with anything else
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.