Page 7 of 7
I also have not revisited Haggard since then. Couldn't have been that amazing. I imbibe in substance and am often way more fond of particular sounds the first time I hear it only to have that appreciation fade posthaste.

Nice try though.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I also have not revisited Haggard since then. Couldn't have been that amazing. I imbibe in substance and am often way more fond of particular sounds the first time I hear it only to have that appreciation fade posthaste.

Nice try though.
That's unfortunate, I do think you should revisit them!

I guess we should get back on topic though.
I've really been digging Summoning's newest album!
Hell yea so glad whenever we talk about summoning we bring up lugburz. such a class album. Dat flight of the nazguls....
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Personally, my favorite Summoning album will likely always be Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

It was the first album of theirs that I listened to. I went on a walk in the forest near my house in the middle of Autumn and spun it, and was utterly blown away by it. It was perfect, and a perfect way to listen to it too. It's sentimental and not necessarily based on actual quality, sure - but no other album of theirs has managed to evoke a stronger reaction since.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Often the first one is the best. My first one was Oath Bound and it still has some sentimental value to me although it is also a great album. I remember having a flight from Finland to Canada with Oath Bound in my mp3-player and spinning it like 3 times on the journey there. That was my first exposure to Summoning.
So, thoughts on Lugburz?

I think I've said it many times over the years that it's likely my favourite Summoning album, even if it's kind of disjointed in places. Save a few tracks off Oath Bound (Land of the dead is only tears for me, and Might and Glory).

I don't think metal deserves a band like Summoning.
I've been doing a whole lot of Stronghold and Lugburz as of late. Lugburz has just an all around great performance on all ends, my favorite drums of any Summoning album! Flight of the Nazgul is one of the most exhilarating tracks to play on your own gear, it sounds great no matter what is in your hands. Raising With The Battle Orcs is like an old school German Speed/Power Metal album breathed through Mordor breath. Fucking love that album beginning to end and it's one of those albums where when people call it "disjointed" I guess I enjoy it for that reason (another album being Dark Medieval Times!)

I can go on and on about Summoning. Hail.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Lugburz is great but you can tell that they hadn't learned how to blend their keyboard/symphonic stuff with the core music very well yet. They mostly used it for intros and interludes like many other bands. The presentation isn't as wholesome and atmospheric as their following albums. You have more aggressive riffing to make up for it though.

Dol Guldur + Nightshade Forests, ideally in a single session, is my favorite Summoning experience.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Lugburz is definitely disjointed haha, but I don't think it should be a point of pride , Flight of the Nazgul being a prime example (albeit my favourite track on the album), it's just cut up and while each individual sections are prime god damn material, it just feels cut into slabs and then placed into a 7 minute track.

I do not have that same feeling with Nightshade Forests oddly enough. Just listening to it this morning, think it's growing on me for sure. I think today might be a Summoning day.
Lugburz "disjointedness" works for me! Flight being a prime example. It's not the same hypnotism of Dol Guldur and I don't think it ever meant to be, like a built in interlude. I can dig it. This thread actually got me on a Dark Medieval Times kick this morning with all the disjointed talk.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
haha fair enough, can't fault you if you enjoy it as I do too, just a mere remark on the nature of the track. If it's any consolation, it clearly works for the album. Now let's blow dis joint and go talk about something else.

Flight of the Nazgul still holds the mostly beastly riffs I've heard.
That sad face line totally read like something from LISA dialogue. Like Percy, Terry or a random lackey might say much to the chagrin of others. Beautiful.

So every Summoning album has an intro. Which intro holds most sway over your hearts?

For myself I believe it's a contest between Angbands Schmieden, Rhûn, A New Power Is Rising and Bauglir. I'm at a loss as to how to pick one. A New Power is Rising and Bauglir both carry that blazing red majesty and Tolkien might that makes me all a-blubber, but Rhûn has that Wagnerian melancholy and beauty that drives home a deep nostalgia for something unobtainable and perhaps fantasy. Angbands Schmieden is everything Dol Guldur does right, a singular atmosphere that is fully developed and realized.

I just realized I asked a question I was not posed to answer so confidently.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 16, 2016,
I dunno if I can pick an intro but I want to report in that I am also a big Lugburz fan. Different beast from the rest of their albums, but I always loved the riffs + production on that one.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Haven't listened to Summoning in awhile, but A New Power is Rising is probably the obvious choice for me, but I'm quite partial to Evernight from Old Morning's dawn.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Only recently gave them a proper listen...Stronghold to be precise. will be checking all the other stuff too.
They are 100% on their releases. I don't think there's a single point of weakness that can't somehow be turned into a positive to suit their albums.

Also might have to pick up that Minas Morgul hoodie. Fuck I love that album. One of the bands where I "get" an album, listen to it, then listen to the next album and am just as blown away.

The imagery through their lyricis is impressive, so much so that I feel engrossed by it. Each story is beautifully matured, and each travel is worth your time.

All Hail Summoning.