Page 3 of 3
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Black Flag is very simple... at least their bass parts are i guess greg is king of the sloppy solos so that makes them pretty technical.

The bass lines on their later records, especially Process of Weeding Out are very hard to play.

Quote by GuitarGod610
Real punk doesn't exist anymore. I'm talking about where it all started with the Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols. The punk ideals at that time were about being different from everyone else and not giving a **** if people liked the music. The music wasn't for the audience anyway; it was for the artist. It wasn't about making money and being successful.

What does being technical have to do with being famous?

I'll have you know, The Ramones were as simple as they were for 2 reasons:
1.Johnny Ramone was a terrible guitarist
2.All punk has something it stands against. In The Ramones' case it was mid-late 70's prog rock, which emphasized over-indulgent playing. They were always trying to get a hit single.

In the case of The Clash and The Sex Pistols, they weren't playing shows because they thought they weren't good enough until they met Johnny Ramone backstage at a club. He told them to just play and not worry about it. All 3 bands are nowadays quite famous.

Black Flag got technical because they enjoyed playing, and hated bands like the Anti Nowhere League because they thought they posed out for the crowd, made no bones about being terrible musician's, and yet still were loved. They wanted to evolve and play the music they liked. That's no different from why The Ramones chose not to play their instuments.
VodkaPunk
Banned
322 IQ
I think I'm the only person here not impressed with Pull My Strings.
daveTFS
12 IQ
real super late on this. a wilhelm scream.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by daveTFS
real super late on this. a wilhelm scream.

Dude, this thread is almost 5 years old
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
So tempted to rock that DSNF avatar.
I'm an asshole.
99valentines
12 IQ
punk is about self-expression. true punk can be almost anything
AlbinoPeacocks
32 IQ
I'm not sure if they'd really count as punk, but The Blood Brothers have some really fast, demanding riffs, in both guitar and bass. Not to mention some crazy rhythms.
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,049 IQ
Check out the albums Normal and Abnormal by Bumblefoot, they're like punk rock meeting mindblowing guitar shred.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I hate Hot Cross...
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Clashfan69
120 IQ
Far From Finished, they're songs are pretty complex. The Clash's songs were pretty complex. If you've heard of the Menzingers, theyre songs are pretty complex. I dont know. I think you can have complexity, as long as you still get that garage feel from it ya know?
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Wow Hot Cross sure sounds like another one of those bands that tries to be Fall Of Troy.

Not punk. Can't really hear anything other than them playing power chords at a moderate tempo but that's kind of universal in music these days.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Maybe not technical, but the Ergs are quite technically proficient. Not to mention Mikey has to sing too.
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
I always love how this argument always comes up with punk circles even though the whole point of punk was to never ever worry about this stupid pointless and irritating argument.

In other words I hate you all you are the reason punk sucks now.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Clashfan69
120 IQ
Punk doesn't really suck now though. There are A LOT of good punk bands nowadays...
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
Be fair neidnarb. It died in '79

Oh, and as far as technically proficient punk goes, James Williamson showed some real chops on Raw Power.

edited to remove embarrassing typo.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jan 15, 2011,
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
(I was just fuckin' around, yo)

*James Williamson, and no doubt.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by axeslash
Wow Hot Cross sure sounds like another one of those bands that tries to be Fall Of Troy.

Can't tell if trolling....
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Can't tell if trolling....
Then I did my job.
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Nash hates Hot Cross? but whyy??

I don't see why they'd be discussed in this forum anyways though.
I'm an asshole.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by lookpizza
Nash hates Hot Cross? but whyy??

I don't see why they'd be discussed in this forum anyways though.

I also hate TFoT. You know this.

Just because something has skramz cred doesn't mean it gets an auto-pass.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Mav-16
UG Senior Member
372 IQ
Check out the band NoMeansNo. Killer Jazz-Punk fusion-awesomeness from Canada.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Quote by nashawa
I also hate TFoT. You know this.

Just because something has skramz cred doesn't mean it gets an auto-pass.

Yea but TFoT hate is far more justifiable than Hot Cross hate..
I'm an asshole.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
What about DEVO, "Jocko Homo" is in 7/8, plus Fripp & Eno liked them. That's some serious prog cred, right?
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah
3,358 IQ
Propagandhi, Anchors, Protagonist, No Trigger, NOFX has some pretty intense bass lines, and so does Anti-Flag.
Joseph Kimbrell
AC - Always Chillin'
21 IQ
Probably about 10 years ago there was some band called Sick Shift that may be worth looking into, very punkish but had some metal influence, heavy guitars. I haven't listened to them in years though!
Vitne
http://
Last edited by Joseph Kimbrell at May 6, 2013,
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
Why did people have to pull this thread up and remind me what a dumb person I was 7 years ago?