Page 83 of 83
public property
Steve Vai
302 IQ
I believe james hetfields large forearms are due to this.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
grrrr
694 IQ
can u guys give me some exercises to build endurance on my picking hand? I can pick at 150 bpm 16th notes for a few minutes and get tire. I kept doing this but it's not getting strong. And are you suppose to like work on this everyday or give a few days to rest so muscle can recover?

BTW, im not using tension because I used to play with tensions before like couple months ago and i couldnt even play it at 140 with tensed up arm. Thanks
Shreddin 4 Life
Neo-Classical Fanatic
449 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
It's not semi-hollow... It's a full hollow.

damn Resi, how many guitars do u own?
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
MaltedMilk
234 IQ
Quote by beadhangingOne
My right hand gets tired really fast from downpicking stuff like master of puppets, am I doing something wrong or is that just a matter of getting used to?
Innit, how the fock does he downpick that fast?
pistols
i no longer like chicken
1,403 IQ
Quote by pistols
sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but i'm not searching through all these pages to find it...

i never understand when i read about how i should mute the strings when i sweep (so they don't ring out afterwards)
i read something saying that some people use their thumbs to mute the strings after they pick them, but i just don't get how that works.

so can someone explain to me some methods of muting the strings / link me to videos of some of those techniques in practice?

thanks

please?
anything...my sweeping hasn't progressed since a couple of weeks after a started, it still sounds ****e
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
5150)Ed(5150
Pre-Banned
425 IQ
Quote by pistols
please?
anything...my sweeping hasn't progressed since a couple of weeks after a started, it still sounds ****e

Start out with just a simple 3-string sweep. It doesn't even matter if it's an arpeggio, just make up something comfortable to play. For your right hand, drag the pick across the strings up and down. On your left hand, remember to release the note you are holding down after you pick it. This is a good muting technique. I think mute with my right hand after picking the note too, which makes up for the other unwanted noise.

There are loads of videos on YouTube about sweeping, check a few of those out as examples.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
For sweeping, I've finally started adding those pulls to the highest notes; i.e. for something like this...

e|-------12-15p12-------|
B|----13----------13----|
G|-14----------------14-|
D|----------------------|
A|----------------------|
E|----------------------|

... what I used to do was alt pick the three notes on the top string, which slowed me down and broke up the whole sweepy-sweepy flow. Hence now that I've got used to adding that pull, I've even began on sweep tapping, i.e. stuff like...

e|-------12h15t19p12-------|
B|----13-------------13----|
G|-14-------------------14-|
D|-------------------------|
A|-------------------------|
E|-------------------------|

Feels totally dodgy to sweep over the fretboard, but the tonal quality of such large intervals does sound cool. And after all, I do love my tapping.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jul 10, 2007,
pistols
i no longer like chicken
1,403 IQ
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
Start out with just a simple 3-string sweep. It doesn't even matter if it's an arpeggio, just make up something comfortable to play. For your right hand, drag the pick across the strings up and down. On your left hand, remember to release the note you are holding down after you pick it. This is a good muting technique. I think mute with my right hand after picking the note too, which makes up for the other unwanted noise.

There are loads of videos on YouTube about sweeping, check a few of those out as examples.

yeah, i can do the 5 string sweeps, and release the note after i pick it, but when i release it still rings out...i guess i'm probably pulling off without meaning too.

i dunno...i'll try to mess around with that to make it a bit more quiet, but in the meantime can anyone describe some right-hand muting techniques?
i read about it somewhere but can't figure out for the life of me how i'm meant to do it
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
brendan666
UG Board King
187 IQ
First of all, I would only like educated responses please. Mainly from those who use this picking style and are sure they are doing it right. I'm just asking this because I asked a few months ago and only got responses from people who weren't sure.

I understand that the motion behind oscillation picking is the same feeling as knocking on a door. I've also been told that it is the same feeling as placing the pinky side of your hand on a desk, having your thumb in the air, and moving it back and forth like a fin. I checked out some old threads but they haven't been helping me. One educated person posted 2 pictures of Shawn Lane using the technique but the links are dead.

How can I be sure that I am doing oscillation picking right? It seems really awkward when trying to use a pick. I've watched quite a bit of videos from Shawn Lane and it is difficult to tell how he is picking during speed runs.

I am asking because I am trying to improve on speed and I thought it would be smart to immediately start practicing with good technique so I don't have to restart. If I can't figure out how to do it I'll go back to practicing unanchored wrist picking.

Thanks for any help.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
You can be sure you're oscilliating when you're using the same muscles involved in those movements, it's as simple as that. If you're using mostly those muscles, you're oscil picking.
brendan666
UG Board King
187 IQ
Quote by Freepower
You can be sure you're oscilliating when you're using the same muscles involved in those movements, it's as simple as that. If you're using mostly those muscles, you're oscil picking.

Do you have any videos or pictures that could help? I understand what muscle to use but I don't see how to use it when picking.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
New forum for this stuff guys, so from here on please post all your technique related issues etc in here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

You better contribute FP ¬_¬ Perhaps there's something in it for you.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
thefoldarsoldar
UG Fanatic
1,840 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
New forum for this stuff guys, so from here on please post all your technique related issues etc in here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

You better contribute FP ¬_¬ Perhaps there's something in it for you.

cool!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
But what will happen to my beloved thread?

And more importantly, why can't i fill this new forum with pedantic nonsense? It seems as if i cannot access the post reply or new thread buttons. If this is a mod joke, it's the cruelest thing anyone has ever done to me, without exception.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Freepower
But what will happen to my beloved thread?

And more importantly, why can't i fill this new forum with pedantic nonsense? It seems as if i cannot access the post reply or new thread buttons. If this is a mod joke, it's the cruelest thing anyone has ever done to me, without exception.

Yeah, you can't post in it yet, I'm not sure why but it has been brought to Rankles' & Cas' attention.

This thread will be moved to the archives.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously though, it makes more sense to have separate forum for technique questions than asking them here.

Lock?
Herman-Ri
Banned
40 IQ
Quote by Stratwizard
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously though, it makes more sense to have separate forum for technique questions than asking them here.

Lock?

Or import this thread into the new forum?
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
This twas a pretty epic thread.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
Yeah, we need to archive this. Just so UG never forgets me, even when I forget UG.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Kailoq
498 IQ
Quote by Herman-Ri
Or import this thread into the new forum?

That'd be pretty pointless. We now have a whole forum for technique questions...which is what this thread is about! And unfortunally it's a bit too large and un-organised to use a sticky/FAQ thingie...unless someone (or preferably multiple persons) were to summarise/write little articles about frequently asked questions or things they feel should be common knowledge. For example: a quick summarise of pick motions and a big disclaimer noting that they aren't miracles! Or something about anchoring or using the whole arm for picking. If we could get decent articles like that we could link new topics popping up about the same old questions, to that sticky (if those posters somehow managed to miss the sticky, like lots of MT posters seem to do) and we wouldn't end up with a thread where half of the posts are plain stupid, wrong and the other half good, but kinda half-assed because it's been covered so many times.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
raysoh8
101 IQ
Almost a year ago when i first posted in this thread my alt picking speed was a miserable 7 nps. Now my alt picking speed is around 8.6 nps. Thank you technique thread.

Im still progressing like a snail, though. wtf.
Bob Sacamano
441 IQ
I've been looking at reworking my right hand. I just don't have the speed I want (which isn't a lot) and don't seem to be improving.

My alternate picking speed is weak. I can play certain licks in 16th notes at 100bpm and can "freely" play in 16th notes at about 80. Above 100bpm it just falls apart.

I watched several videos on YouTube and compared my picking to what I saw. In every case, I noticed that my thumb and index finger hold the pick and the remaining three fingers just stick out and flail around while I pick. Usually, when I see someone else picking even moderatly fast, their fingers are curled into more of a fist. Their fingers don't just hang out there like mine. I have a feeling this may be what is slowing my hand down. Not having them in a loose fist probably creates resistance when alternate picking at higher speeds.

I'm not really talking about anchoring -- my fingers don't touch the guitar, they just hang in the air. Occasionally, I wil "touch-off" a string as a reference point, but I don't keep my fingers grounded to anything.

Does anyone else pick with an open hand? I have been trying it close handed for about an hour and it feels uncomfortable -- and my picking takes big steps back. Do I need totally rebuild my right hand technique beginning with how I hold the pick? Picking like this effects everything. I have always been able to palm mute very easily but with closed fist, it's suddenly very hard. I lose the big part of my hand I use for muting.
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

--

http://www.purevolume.com/bobsacamano
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
I also pick with an open hand, but I don't have problems picking fast. If I curl my fingers it just doesn't feel good. Maybe it's just the lack of practice. How long have you been practicing your picking? I mean it took almost 4 months for me to get my picking fast.
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
I've started curling my fingers rigidly kinda like el Gilberto. It gives my hand a sort of stiffness which makes for that favourable 'bouncy' attack off the strings.

For a long while I used to relax the fingers completely (i.e. Lane) so as to reduce every tiny bit of tension, but that led to them fanning outwards (i.e. Hammett and Lynch) under exertion when I picked faster and harder – and I just loathe that splayed-out fingers look big time. I have this thing about my picking hand looking 'good' whilst playing. If it somehow looks dodgy, I work on fixing it (usually the unused fingers) until it looks the way I want it to. Silly mentality, but it's one of my quirks.
WarForTerritory
28 IQ
So when you pick in rotary, your pick should be moving in a circle (the tip)
and when you're oscillating, it should be kinda going in a curve?

) <---- Like this, with the apex (so to speak) where the pick meets the string)