Page 110 of 110
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
the cover is dope as ****, pretty excited for the album
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
I definitely like it better than the cover of the Hunter, which was cool in it's style and everything, but it was kind of plain and the whole goat/horse head thing got a bit played out through the videos and stuff. I actually have the limited edition of The Hunter with the black background an some artistic flourishes, I much prefer it.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
The record is out, where the **** are you people?

First impression: like it, not love it. But the more I listen to it the more it grows on me, same as The Hunter (already like this one better than TH). Truth be told, I didn't find CTS to be all that brilliant the first couple of times I listened to it, either. Probably because they were coming off my favorite record of all time, and the one that defined my personal perfect brand of metal.

This record, like The Hunter, is much more fun and rewarding if you don't fall into that angry, nostalgic "this isn't Leviathan Pt 2!" mindset. Just listen to it and let it breathe on you and the grooves start to burrow into your brainstem and crawl down your spine. The flourishes, particularly in the drum department, start to float to the front and charm you into thinking "sorry I said those things about you, Mastodon, I still love you". The vocals grow on you more and more, too. Brann is more prevalent on this record, and Brent seems to take a less noticeable role. When you get past the fact that you could never imagine Brann singing anything on "Remission", is lighter, punky vocals start to really grow on you. And while Troy rarely screams anymore, I can't help but be impressed with how he's cultivated his actual singing voice. It's still somewhat harsh (not "brutal"), but he really can carry an interesting melody with it. Brent is still Brent - wailing, slightly drunken-sounding stuff, much like The Hunter. I don't mean that as a bad thing, I've always liked his style, though I admit he is inexplicably terrible at replicating it live. Then there's Bill, who still isn't singing, but is carrying the rhythm behind Brent in the guitar department, and doing an awesome job, I think. The riffs here are what you might call "sludge-light". There's some good Drop-A stuff on here, and Bill carves out some pretty fun, buzzing grooves behind all of Brent's flourishes and Brann's tight fills.

Even writing this half-assed review right now, without listening to it during, this record continues to grow on me. I think I'll go listen to it again.

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker
1,594 IQ
I agree, when I first listened to it I had my doubts. But it has definitely grown on me, I think I've listened to it about 20 times by now. It's a strong record, although I am still secretly hoping they are going back to something a little more like a concept-album. To me, that's when they flourish, creating a strong, cohesive album with a crazy narrative.
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
I'm glad they got over the Hunter's awkward transition and have pretty much embraced the fact that they're a pop band now
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by ctfod
I'm glad they got over the Hunter's awkward transition and have pretty much embraced the fact that they're a pop band now

Wut?...

Ironic Maiden
Shia-Kazing
1,303 IQ
Quote by Jehuty
Pop band? lol

Despite being a Mastodon fan still, they are indeed a pop band now.
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died
160 IQ
I keep hoping they'll make a return to the Leviathan album sound once they get the hard rock/pop thing they're doing out of their system, but I don't think it's going to happen.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."

Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
Yep, it wasn't derogatory. I like the album, but it is pop dressed up with a few guitars.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
I don't get the pop band thing. They've added elements of pop, sure, but they aren't just a pop band with guitars all of a sudden. I think it's closer to them being a metal band with some pop structures. Look at Ghost - they've got lots of pop elements, but they're not really a "pop band". Idk, maybe we have different definitions of pop.

Quote by Bladez22
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
yea its definitely not pop dressed up with a few guitars, they're adding pop and all that but its not as drastic as that

couldn't agree more on the taking some growing but after multiple listens i thinks its a pretty good record for mastodon, better than the hunter for sure
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Nah, that's how I was taking it after ctfod explained. The Hunter was all right; this seems a bit better.
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
The motherload and Diamond in the Witch House are probably my favorites
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
469 IQ
Well, this is the kind of record only Mastodon fans can really like. It's like Trivium's In Waves; not really an album that metal listeners would enjoy unless they were fans of the band already. Really poppy album with nothing that sticks out and, while it's got some cool riffs, the songs are really repetitive.

Still not a Mastodon release I can like, oh well. And before anyone asks: No, I do not like Mastodon, but due to the amount of hype and buzz this albums has created I decided to check it out.
BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
Quote by jimihendrix6699
The motherload and Diamond in the Witch House are probably my favorites

Title track is my favorite so far. When it just melts into Troy singing "once more round the sun we go againnnnnn..." Is ****ing delicious.

Quote by Bladez22
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
Quote by Jehuty
Just got home from seeing them, they opened with Hearts Alive. Mother****ing Hearts Alive, how epic is that?

Thats awesome i wish theyd come to stl, i havent seen them since crack the skye
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker
1,594 IQ
Well apparently their current gigs are not a part of the Once More Round The Sun tour, Someone who went to a different concert of theirs told me that apparently they will hit the road again later this year to tour that album. So you'll probably have your chance.
BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
Asleep in the Deep has been blowing my mind all da, and Halloween is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's weird, all the review I read, while positive, seem to pick on the tracks that throw back to their proggier, sludgier stuff, while semi-lamenting the change in direction. I saw one that called the intros to Aunt Lisa and Halloween boring and reminiscent of arena rock. Like seriously? The Lisa intro sounds like it could've been taken right out of The Last Baron, and the Halloween intro sounds like it could be the start of a missing track from the back half of Blood Mountain. I don't understand how you could simultaneously love and hate different tracks from this record. Also seeing a lot of hate for the Coathangers' brief appearance. I understand that it seems a bit out of place for mastodon, and it isn't exactly subtle, but it sounds GOOD to me. It's a perfect example of trying something new and not overdoing it, letting it stand out on the record and making it memorable.

Quote by Bladez22
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker
1,594 IQ
It sounds a lot more genuine than The Hunter to me. I don't know, The Hunter definitely has some great tracks and I'm not hating on it whatsoever, but for some reason I really enjoy OMRtS a lot more in its entireity.
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
^ the intro riff to aunt lisa turned me off at first because its brent playing it safe. It is boring for mastodon standards. They could take off the intos to a couple songs on the record and it wouldnt be any different if not an improvement.

With that said, once those songs pick up they great especially in the vocal department.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode