Page 14 of 14
ishredwithnubs
507 IQ
Okay, so I have only been playing for half a year. But I will just give it a go. The first time I picked up a guitar was at my grandparents house when I was 14. It was an acoustic of some sort and the strings were a bit worn. As soon as I struck the chords. A string broke. I put the guitar down in shame and walked away. About 7 months ago. I went to my friends house.. Who plays drums. His dad had a Gibson Les Paul sitting in the corner. So I picked it up and started to play some notes and a couple chords. After that I didn't really play any guitar. I just got really into heavy metal and metalcore and post- hardcore. About 5 months ago my friend-the drummer and my other friend who plays guitar decided to jam, and when I saw them and heard what they were playing. I thought I really want to be a part of this and do something with music. I was so interested in guitar. I went to my friends house and I picked up his guitar and started playing some chords and I learned Iron man.Two weeks after I thought about getting a guitar and playing, but there was an issue I had to deal with. I am missing the very tips of my index and middle finger on my left hand, and I play left handed. So I thought that I will never be good at playing guitar, but this didn't stop me. I thought that it doesn't matter, and I will do whatever I can to master guitar even if I have this "issue". A month later I got a mini squier from my friend that had the last string missing. I started playing anything I could on it, not knowing anything about pentatonic scale or the basics of guitar or writing music. I came on here and started looking at tabs and tried playing along with them. At first I was unsuccessful. So I looked on how to read guitar tab, and when I figured it out. I started to look up more chords and tabs and started practicing for hours everyday. Four months ago, I got my first guitar ever bought for me for my birthday. A B.C. Rich Warbeast Trace, black. I started to play on this and had it re-strung and messed around with different tunings and tried playing heavier metal. A month after I traded it in for my B.C. Rich Bich Tobacco Sunburst. At this time I only had a little peavey amp and this awesome sounding guitar, in my opinion.I started to write a song, that was fairly easy. In a week I had it done and was somewhat satisfied. I never practiced it though, and I only remember little parts of it now. I couldn't deal with my amp though anymore so I put it aside. A month and a half ago I bought a Line 6 Spider lV 75w and it sounds great. I have noticed my playing skills getting progressively better and I have jammed a bit with my friend that drums. Just the other day I got my new Ibanez RG4EXQM1 Transparent grey with tremolo which is in the shop getting re-strung. I have never taken any lessons. I have been teaching myself, researching a bit on the internet, referring to these forums for information, and looking at tabs on here. I have noticed my guitar play progressively getting better, and I am currently writing a song. Trying to start a band as a lead guitarist and really getting into gigs and such.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
I came, I saw, I sold out. Not in that order.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Brainpolice2
UG Board King
358 IQ
Things are such that I can't really outline a year-by-year narrative, because the milestones aren't really yearly, it'd be tedious to cover two decades that way, and my early childhood is a bit of a blur. But here's an attempt at my "story" as a musician. It'll be longwinded.

My earliest memories of myself in relation to music, other than watching the Beatles's movie for "The Yellow Submarine", is when I played series of instruments that I didn't continue with, roughly during the time that I was in elementary school and due to the insistance of my mother that I be involved in "the arts". Roughly between the ages of 6 and 10, I recall playing alto saxophone and viola in the school band, and later taking piano lessons at the Cleveland Music School Settlement. Piano was the instrument I took furthest at the time because of the formal training. I remember playing a few recitals for simple classical pieces. But I didn't stick with it.

This was around the time (ages 10-11) that I started paying attention to what was on the radio. It was 1994. Kurt Cobain had just died. My actual musical taste at the time was mainly influenced by the "grudge" and "alternative" that was everywhere then, although I also began to become aware of metal. I recall stealing a tape of Metallica's "And Justice For All" and listening to it a lot. At the same time, partly due to my parent's influence, some classic rock began to seep in as well, such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimmi Hendrix, The Doors, and so on. I embraced it all.

I had a friend who was the son of family friends at the time who played drums. When I was 11, I basically copied my friend and insisted that my parents get me a drumset for christmas. They did. I also got a dumbeck on the side (fun instrument!). This was the beginning of my developement as a musician in terms of my actual interests, rather than something more foisted upon me by my mother or in the context of school. I briefly was in a sort of alt rock band with a guitar player when I was 12, but it didn't last. I played drums a lot and soon started taking drum lessons from a local teacher who was quite good. His name is Kip Volans. I took lessons from him pretty consistently up until I was about 18.

I can't underemphasize how much Kip influenced me as a musician and a music listener overall, not just as a drummer. Over the course of those lessons, he turned me on to old progressive rock bands like Yes, King Crimson, and UK (the solo from "In The Dead of Night" was the first time I heard Allan Holdsworth). He turned me on to Frank Zappa, who's music I practically obcessed on as a teenager. He got me into fusion and jazz, latin stuff, and middle eastern music. I became an advanced drummer very quickly with his help, which included the practise of site reading charts. Extensive use of polyrythm and odd time signatures were common.

There was a point later on that Kip basically told me that I was better than him in certain areas, and lessons became more focused on improving my ability to play straight-ahead jazz (which was always a weak spot for me; I more intuitively did fusion and latin stuff) and a little bit of "going back to basics" to tighten up rudiments. My last "lessons" with him amounted to listening to music and shooting the shit with him. I could tell that I was one of his students that he felt it was time to "pass on" to a university or more generally let loose. So I stopped going.

Other things were going on during the time that I was taking these drum lessons. When I was 14, I also got my first guitar (a cheap Washburn) and started playing it on the side, through a cheap Crate practise amp. My basement ended up being a jam pad of a sort in which my friends would come over and we'd just do open improvs, with everyone switching instruments in a circle (others would bring a bass and bass amp sometimes). I was into all sorts of music, but most of my friends at the time were mainly into metal, and for whatever reason I developed an interest in death metal at the time. Lots of heavy music came out of that basement.

My early history as a guitar player is odd. For approximately the first three years or so of my playing, I would just sit the guitar on my lap with it facing the ceiling, and use only my thumb on my left/fret hand, sliding around the neck and exploiting open strings. I have no idea why I did this, but I developed it as much as I could at the time. My guitarist friends found it odd, but they were surprised that I was actually able to play some single-note lines and solos this way. One of the guys who worked at the local Sam Ash would joke to me that he was going to put up a "No Thumbs" sign in place of the "No Stairway To Heaven" sign. When I was about 18, I flipped the guitar over and started playing it "properly".

I went through various kinds of gear during this time. I remember having some kind of Fender Telecaster and selling it later on (and I want it back now!). I got an LTD and that was my main guitar for the rest of this period. When I was about 16, I got a Crate Blue Voodoo 120H Halfstack. The thing is still sitting in my dad's basement with the tubes blown, which happened a few years later. I remember bringing it in to a local music shop to get the tubes replaced, and taking it home and having them mess up again almost immediately. I gave up on it and went back to the old practise amp, only with a Roland GP-100 FX Processor going into it.

So as I got out of highschool, I was basically both a drummer and a guitarist, but most of my friends wanted me as a drummer. Some of my guitar player friends clearly resented me playing guitar. I started going to an open mic night in Cleveland Heights in which I would play both drums and guitar at various points. One day some regulars from that area saw me play drums and basically walked up to me and said "you're our band's drummer". So I joined a deathmetal band (Neonatal Death) as a drummer, and I also ended up being in another band as a drummer that was more of an indie/experimental-rock kind of deal. They didn't last much more than a year. I basically quit the deathmetal band because they wanted more commitment from me than I was willing to give and I wasn't that into it.

I ended up going to a local community college (Tri-C) for music when I was 20-21, and by this time I had started to focus a lot more on guitar than drums. So my musical instrument of choice there was guitar, and I took guitar lessons from the head of the music department who also happened to be the guitar teacher, Richard Holsworth. He was steeped in jazz and classical, and also a Berklee Grad who went there the same time as Steve Vai. Speaking of which, I was starting to really get into Vai at the time and bought what is my main guitar up to today, an Ibanez Jem7v.

The college-for-music experience was definitely useful at a number of levels. I took music theory classes that got heavily into counterpoint, with a lot of focus on the music of Bach. I also was in the Afro-Carribean ensemble, which basically did latinized Jazz standards, and my guitar lessons were geared toward jazz. I learned to use lead sheets for comping and playing over changes. I also learned that I was partly confused by stuff relating to music theory that I had jumped ahead and looked into myself on the internet. It may *seem* impressive to be able to go up to your music teacher talking about lydian dominant and such, but I didn't really quite know what I was doing.

After college, I pretty much focused entirely on guitar. As in I stopped playing drums altogether. Most of this time has been spent as an at-home guitar player, practising and improvising to backing tracks, occasionally trying to record something. I haven't been in a band since that deathmetal band. That's getting close to a decade ago. My guitar playing has certainly improved a lot over the course of such extensive at-home practising, but I started to feel isolated. My friends had asked for years, "why aren't you in a band?" and I had no good answer for them other than "I just don't have the connections", which is pretty much true.

I started breaking out of the at-home deal last year, when I checked out some local musician's jam nights and started playing at them immediately (I also upgraded my gear and got a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12, and am lovin' it). I've become a regular at them. I definitely feel welcome, and it's given me the oppurtunity to meet and play music with some of the best and most well-known musicians in the Cleveland area. I've actually mostly been focusing on the *blues* scene, even though I'm not particularly a traditional blues player at all (I tend to bring more of a fusion element to it, and sometimes that's clashed with some traditionalist elements, but I've mostly felt accepted as someone different who can hang with the blues cats).

I'm currently at a point where I'm working on getting a band together, with the intention of making it a diverse instrumental band with a bit of a fusion thing going on. I have a bassist and a keyboard player who are interested, and they have further connections for other players (especially the one thing that's been hardest to find: drummers). I've been jamming with a decent rock-based guitar player who might want to form another, separate project. So that's basically where I am at the moment. I'm tapping the connections from these open mic nights and elsewhere to try to really get a stable gig going.
Fenderexpx50
380 IQ
Maybe this will make you feel a bit better about how your life is going.

I started at 10 because I had nothing else to do. My uncle had a lot of guitars and I picked up a Gibson SG and was noodling on it. He got me some lessons and it took off from there. I was never a social person. I didn't have any friends, I don't care about sports at all, I keep to myself all the time, so it was a perfect thing for me. I would spend all day playing. I did that for about 4 years before I formed a band with two good friends who had been playing as long as I had. We rehearsed a lot, practiced covers, and worked on some original material. We did our first gig when we were all 16. It basically took off from there. We were playing quite a few venues. In addition to that, I gave lessons and repaired stuff for people. When I was 18 I started to help out on friends demos. I recorded a lot with other people while still gigging and giving lessons. I never got to do my own demo though. Everyone kept telling us we should, but we never felt good enough for that. After that, the band split and I went to college. I developed a pretty good drinking habit and barely played for 4 years. Eventually, I couldn't afford to go to school anymore. I was about to be kicked out anyway. They don't take kindly to .87 GPAs. I started off with a 3.8, so you see how far I slid. So I was drinking a lot, not playing, and not going to class. Well I moved into my own place and got a job. I couldn't find anyone to play with so I just didn't play. Eventually I had a kid and now I'm stuck working at Wal Mart. No connections to anyone, no bandmates, none of my good gear (I sold it to pay for school).

So here I am, 13 years later. I lost all the momentum I had built up. My 8-12 hour practice routine for 8 years has gotten me nowhere. I'm not even half as good as I was. It's like I'm starting over. I can't find any bandmates to play with. I'm stuck with a full time job that gets me maybe 13,000 a year. I can't afford anything other than rent and my bills. I get to eat once a day. I have no chance at a good future anymore. I'm stuck in this loop till I die. Fun huh?

I just stopped caring about anything. Work, guitar, food, nothing really holds any importance to me. I can't even play much anymore because I'm constantly injuring my hands at work. So eventually this job is going to rob me of guitar too.

So if you think your life is bad, it's not. Be grateful for what you have. Always keep working towards something. You never want to end up like this. It's a hard pill to swallow.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Sep 3, 2011,
zachlloydmusic
21 IQ
Year 1 (2006-2007): Started playing guitar as a hobby after I graduated high school. Practiced sporadically during my first year of college.

Year 2 (2007-2008): Almost quit during late summer of 07, but I stuck with it and started practicing a little more when I went back to college in the fall.

Year 3 (2008-2009): This is when things started getting serious. I decided in the Summer of 08 that I wanted to practice 4 hours a day, almost every day, and I did. I found justinguitar.com in the middle of the summer and that basically quadrupled my progress. Kept practicing 4 hours a day during my junior year of college.

Year 4 (2009-2010): Bumped it up to 6 hours a day and started writing some of my own stuff after I got Pro Tools LE 8. Recorded my first Youtube cover ("Shoot To Thrill") in May of 2010, just before I graduated from college.

Year 5 (2010-2011): Decided to take some time off to pursue music full-time. I started learning to sing and play piano, I started writing my own lyrics, I recorded a ton of covers for Youtube, I briefly played with a band, etc., etc.

Year 6 (2011-2012): I've finally started releasing some original music on Youtube (see the link below). I've also been performing solo a lot recently. I'm going to law school next fall because I don't think a career as a professional musician is for me, but up until I go, I'm going to keep recording and performing music.
SpillyMcKid
I like music...
147 IQ
Age 10:
My friend started playing guitar and wanted to form a band with me and another friend. Neither of us had even touched a guitar before but we decided to learn anyways. My parents bought me an acoustic and my friend taught me 3 basic chords (G, C, and D). From there I learned on my own with a chord booklet i somehow obtained. As a recommendation from a friend I bought the album The Wall by Pink Floyd (im sure youre all familiar with it). That's what really inspired me to start playing.

Age 11:
I was still learning but getting a little better. Me and my friends would sit in a room with an mp3 player and record us doing improve over a chord progression. That summer i got an electric guitar and an amp for my birthday. I was starting to get alot better by the end of the year and our band was starting to get serious.

Age 12:
I was finally starting to get pretty good. I could play most of Master of Puppets by Metallica (a little sloppy mind you). We started jamming and wrote one song (which we still play 3 years later although different lyrics).

Age 13:
Our band found a drummer and i was better then ever (imo ... which has changed alot) and i discovered metal ... i think, maybe it was the year after. We played two songs at a school dance where i was the singer and rhythm (i believe my voice is shit although i can it the right notes). We also played a 7 song setlist at the end of the year trip to a local park. People enjoyed our warm up more then our actual setlist (considering that was all they stuck around for). I started learning drums later on as well.

Age 14:
We started getting really serious after a bit of a hiatus (6 and 1/2 months due to us all being grounded). After a show at a school dance (where after 2 songs out of a 7 song setlist we were asked for an encore) we realized our drummer wasnt taking the band seriously and didnt particularly enjoy the music we played. It was a unanimous decision that when he left the band it was the best decision. So now we had no drummer. I had aquired a double bass peddle and was apparently becoming really good at drums so they decided i should become the bands drummer.

Age 15: The present day
We all started smoking weed alot. We always jammed high and it produced some of the stuff that we're most proud of. Ive apparently gotten extremely good at drums and really good at guitar although ive started thinking the opposite. Ive rediscovered my love of Pink Floyd and started really enjoying Radiohead and my music tastes are very eclectic. On my ipod youll find Rap, dubstep, house music, pyshcedelic music, metal, grunge, indie, alternative, and punk. I've started writing alot of lyrics (some of which im proud of others ... ) I still play guitar alot and i enjoy it so much but drums are definitely my forte now. My bandmates and i work in sync alot. Our guitarist wrote a song referencing a spider as a metaphor and so did i. They were a metaphor for the same thing too which is odd. I really love just working with other people in music and im really looking foreword to finding a singer and playing gigs.

And that is the story of my musical life as of today

TL;DR

I was a guitarist now i play drums in my band.
If you're traveling in the North Country Fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to the one who lives there
For she once was a true love of mine
Beat Poet
21 IQ
1999 - Started playing, taught myself.
2000 - Began recording online, which helped me improve my playing immensely.
2001 - Went to music college, started playing in bands. Played my first gigs.
2003 - Graduated from music college with a diploma.
2003-04 - Joined my first proper band, in Germany. Recorded an album.
2006-08 - Joined my second band, back in the UK. Played over 70 gigs, recorded 3 EPs, national airplay and press.
2010 - Joined my third band. UK tour, pro video shoot, national airplay and press.
2011 - Became a professional session drummer.

Didn't want to bore you with a novel!
rubbert
94 IQ
My dad has always been into music, so he had some guitars and basses lying around, so when i was a kid i picked up a guitar and started strumming, i've always thought bass is boring...

so i taught myself to play chords and stuff...then got online and learned even more stuff, even learned songs by ear...

1998 bought my first electric, a cheap ass Ibanez GRX
1999 went to take some guitar lessons from some lesbians...i dropped because they were teaching me stuff i already knew...

been playing guitar since then...been in a bunch of bands, and i still think i suck but i always try to improve

right now i do vocals in a hardcore band and guitar in a symphonic metal band...
Last edited by rubbert at Jan 7, 2012,
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
10+ years ago: awful
5 years ago: awful
2 years ago: barely passable
now: meh

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ccannon1
Band Geek
1,331 IQ
Year 1 - 13 y/o Get guitar for christmas, learn how to read TAB. Spend 6 months playing 6 hours a day (learning Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Weezer, Greenday), 2 months later start up my first band as lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist, play a few gigs write a few pretty good songs.

Year 2 - 14 y/o Continue work as a rhythm guitarist/singer/songwriter, known as music geek at my school, become snobby about my musical tastes (thinking they are superior, i was into Alternative like Radiohead, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr), my lead guitarist turns into an idiot and thinks he's a rockstar and tries to take credit for my work, tension within the band begins to rise. Beginning of 9th grade school year, get invited to play guitar in my highschools Senior Jazz Band (composed of mostly 11-12 graders, i'm the 2nd 9th grader to ever make it in) and begin recording my first demos with my band

Year 3 - 15 y/o Still music geek/snob. Quit my band because my guitarist was immature, couldn't take constructive criticism, and anything I wrote that wasn't mainstream he'd shoot down, was a close-minded metal head... begin learning theory, improve vocal range to that of a female alto, and begin writing more complex music, but struggle with inspiration and vocal melodies. Been working on assembling a new band.
Lateralus32
1,564 IQ
2008, age 20. Bought a $30 blue acoustic guitar on the internet, learned open chords, basic strumming.

2009, age 21. Got an entry level electric guitar, learned the minor pentatonic scale, started discovering blues.

2010, age 22. Progressed onto the major scale, started taking lessons and learning Mel Bay chord theory. Began basic jazz work, developed a crude fingerstyle technique. Started learning the harmonic minor scale. Gave up on the harmonic minor scale.

2011, age 23. Continued with blues, mixing in rock influences. Began practicing vocals and imitating Bob Dylan, put electric guitar aside and developed vocals.

2012, age 24. Major breakthroughs in vocals, chord understanding, rhythm playing, lead playing, emotion, performance skills, note understanding, note control, scale understanding, and technique happening all at the same time. Learned some classical techniques such as hammer stroke, escapement stroke, and mute, but I don't have any desire to grow out the nails. A bit overwhelming at times. Learned how to play piano by intuition at the local college, just by sitting on the stool, sometimes playing the keys and sometimes just staring at it.

Present, Spring of 2012. Learned how to begin anticipating pitches and harmonies before they are played and thinking ahead. Developing contacts with veterans and working artists in the industry. First unsolicited audition for lead guitar into a professional band coming in April. Started making progress on a project with versatile female vocalist who has a decade of training. Starting to forget music theory. Everything is moving fast and at exponential rates, seemingly spiraling outwards into infinity. But I'm still grounded so its all good =)
Last edited by Lateralus32 at Mar 26, 2012,
lildudenikki
This DJ rocks your ass
467 IQ
Age 14: I wasnt very interested in music just liked chart music and doung Art. I played guitar hero at butlins and I really enjoyed it ( spending most of my money on it). So I decided to learn guitar, which I got for christmas. My first song ever played was Smoke on the Water by deep purple.

Age 15: This was a big year. Made up a band which was failing because people couldnt be bothered. learnt pentatonic scales and abit of music theory. Got into metal, hip hop, reggae, ska, alternative and punk. And started writing songs ( I made 97). My mom only let me go on the guitar about 3 hours a week so I started to take guitar lessons, which was terrible cause the teacher was rubbish so I ended up teaching other people. I also Started learning Metallica, Pantera and classical songs on guitar, which I started to amaze people. Then I got so much into music I ditched Art and started doing music technology at school.

Age 16: started learning keyboard and bass. Developed a love for Dubstep, eletro, dance, house and drum & bass music, so I learned pendulum and skrillex on guitar. Thankfully, my band started getting somewhere as we are beginning to practice. also im currently taking music technology and will start IB music and performing arts soon.

Thanks for reading.
Meh
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
318 IQ
Well, let's start way back when, when I was a short person;

Some 6-8 years ago;
My dad's friend gave him a used Squier Strat, which I didn't like, as it was heavy for my small child arms. He bought a much lighter Squier Bullet sometime later. Both of these collected dust for quite some time.

7th Grade Year;
I heard the Utah Symphony and I decided that I wanted to learn how to play the viola. My parents unsuccessfully attempted to talk me out of it because they thought I wouldn't like it. I started off on 5th stand viola, with my stand-partner being my future teacher, Mr. Ben. Mr. Ben taught me how to read music, and we enjoyed some big songs, like Bailes para Orquesta, which was a very technically difficult song for a beginner. My lifelong friend, Ms. Amanda, also signed up for orchestra for the same reasons I did, although I advanced faster than she did.

8th Grade Year;
This year, things were different. Well over half of the violas were gone now, as most of them were going to high school (Utah system is 7-9 in Middle, and 10-12 in High), including Ben. I held section leader for the first half of the year, and made considerable progress. Ms. Amanda however, got a hell of a lot better in a short time, so she had section leader for the rest of the year, with me being the second viola.

Pre-9th Grade Year - Summer;
This is when I decided to learn to play the guitar, as I figured that it wouldn't be much harder than the viola, just with more strings and a bigger neck/body. At this point, I was an avid metalhead, and ready to start playing. The first song I learned was Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica. This would be an event that would effect me throughout the rest of my musical life. During this time, I also discovered Joe Satriani, which I became a huge fan of. He was (and still is) an idol to me and my musical experiences.

9th Grade Year;
At this point, I could almost play Welcome Home from the beginning to the end. However, I never told anybody that I was a guitarist, as I was afraid of being judged. However, a the first of four talent shows that year, I played Welcome Home (Sanitarium). I had only been playing for six months, much to the amazement of all of my friends and acquaintances. I tried out for the second and third, only to be cut down from both. Shortly before the third's tryouts, I discovered tapping, which was shown to me by my friend, Mr. Andre. Mystified, I began to pull at the strings of this particular technique, culminating to the performance of Midnight by Joe Satriani during the final week of school. Throughout the year, I stuck with the viola, and stayed as the second chair violist for most of the year. Because the back of the section needed more tonal strength, I was moved to third chair, where I met my good friend and fellow Satch enthusiast, Mr. Tayte. He was the guitarist in the first band I was a part of.

Pre-10th Grade Year - Summer;
During this time, I began to show an interest in extended range guitars, and the bass guitar. This is also when the free-hands tapping method (pioneered by Emmett Chapman) was beginning to develop and when I began to show a renewed interest in classical music. This culminated in the purchase of a used RG7321, already modded out with DiMarzio pickups. I broke contact with my lifelong friend, Mr. Brayden, and began to develop my various playing techniques. I began to arrange music for the viola, one of which is Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci, who fueled my interest in the seven string, and I made great progress in playing the various instruments I now had in my repertoire. I left Mr. Tayte's band because of high school and musical differences, but we still have jam sessions with our drummer from time to time.

10th Grade Year - Now;
My tenth grade year was tumultuous, both in new band drama, and in orchestra performances, which dominated the Spring. This is the time I went on my first tour with the orchestra, to the city of Seattle. During this time, my section leader Mr. Micheal, who I had known since seventh grade, instructed that I began to learn the piano, to help with pitch accuracy in the section. On guitar, tapping still improved, and lead me to the talent show tryouts. I was rejected because of lack of stage presence in the end. I purchased two more guitars, a Carvin SC90 and Ibanez ARZ307, both of which remain my favorites. Recently, I began selling instruments and equipment to afford a Carvin DC800, my first eight string guitar. Ms. Amanda is still with me throughout this, as we have always gone to the same school (coincidence? I think not), and we've never really had an argument. We are currently stand-partners (just like old times) on second stand viola. I also began to 'bite off more than I can chew' with music theory, and have started to write original music.

Wow. I never really realized how far I've come since the beginning.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Apr 25, 2012,
RamblinMan2450
360 IQ
Beginning from age 6ish, and below I used to go hiking with my dad... On the way back he played Simon and Garfunkel, and that's where I realized how amazing guitar was, such a versatile instrument. In 4th grade, my dad bought me my first crappy $100 acoustic gig pack type guitar, Ibanez. I tried playing some stuff, I saw on Youtube, and did play it, but I didn't do much.
The next year in 5th grade my teacher, who knew/knows some guitar, played a song. I nearly cried to how beautiful it was. I asked him how he played it, and he gave me a small book on chords. Literally, on the bus ride home, I opened the book, and started memorizing chords with my guitar. I became extremely fluent in transitioning simple chords, like Am, C, G, D, Dm, and others.
I forget when but around 7th grade I guess, or 8th, I got a new acoustic guitar. Also Ibanez. It's an acoustic electric though. The amp costs more than the guitar, and I experimented with that. I still use it frequently. I mainly played chords, to country, as was my music obsession.
In the recent years, my gf broke up with me, for the stupidest reasons, and got me really depressed. I started listening to country/Classic Rock, and soon enough, I ditched country all together, because it was nothing compared to Classic Rock, and it sounds more like pop to be honest (yucky).
Though the years I've really just been making up my own songs. I know music in other areas, such as Cello, and trumpet, and I'm currently learning the piano, but otherwise I've always composed my own music, without a lot of guitar knowledge.
Ever since I got my recording gear, and electric, I've been doing a lot more with the wonderful music-Rock.
I'm 16, working on my first album, and I really need to be taught some Music Theory!
webber243
346 IQ
Only started playing guitar 2 and a half years ago when i was 18, quite literally because i couldnt think of anything else to get for christmas!! my parents got me a crappy cheap strat but since then its changed my life. i listen to totally different music now and my whole lifestyles completely different.

i pretty much dedicated myself to the instrument for 2 years, with a few half hearted attempts to find a band. then this december me and my mate (who fancied himself as a singer) got drunk and arranged to play a local open mic night (he would sing with me on acoustic). so without any rehearsing we turned up and played 3 songs that he knew the words to and i knew the chords to. we got so much praise afterwards (my mate also discovered that he actually could sing) and we felt like absolute rockstars.

riding on our success, we decided to continue doing this and started practicing above a local pub, adding more songs to our setlist. we played another open mic a few weeks after, by which time i'd already met a bassist who'd played for 12 years whilst i was having a fag outside during a practice session. he watched us at open mic and liked what he saw (we'd even written our own song by now) and came to our practice, along with another guitarist who i used to know from school. he'd also been playing for a long time.

after pretty much religiously practicing a setlist of songs that me and the singer chose, we were in desperate need of a drummer. we searched for a while and explored different avenues with no luck. i then remembered chatting to a kid a few years younger than me who was a singer-songwriter but he had mentioned he could play the drums. i gave him a ring and luckily he'd just split from the band he was in so i was able to persuade him to join as a drummer.

this was 2 months ago and weve kept it going (despite my other guitarist having a kid in the this time) and weve got our first gig this week, followed by 3 or 4 gigs over the next few months in some of the city's top venues.

not bad for 2 and a half years!!
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
2,041 IQ
I wanted to play guitar when I was about 7 or 8 and my moms friend (who looked like black carlos santana) said he'd give me one....then he died....I never got that guitar. But when I was 12, I touched my friends guitar and like a lightning bolt it hit me; I NEED to do this. I signed up for the guitar class for next year, got a guitar for my birthday and began my journey. The first year was me learning Green Day stuff while I learned to write my own songs. I was the only one in the class who was really dedicated and it showed in my progress. The teacher was super awesome too. I strarted playing bass soon after I started guitar.
I high school, my friends brother played metal and I learned sweeping mostly through watching him and his friends play Trivium covers. After I got into playing metal, I just went through the most common techniques and started learning them. I started playing drums too, but didn't get really into that until 11th grade. My first real performance was 9th grade when me and a freind played a song I wrote. Then we played unholy confessions. We jammed abit and kinda fell apart (musically) because I started getting more technical and proggy and he stayed abit in the generic metalcore stuff. By this time I'd been learning to write and produce and I got pretty good at it, but I didn't have any real friends to play with seriously.
In 11th and 12th grade all the metal guys graduated and I started playing drums more seriously, but I never got a drumkit because guitar was still my main thing, but I played drums for ALOT of school functions using the school kit.
After I graduated I went into college but being HyperShy I have little to no social skills and made no new friends, still don't have any but I used craigslist to try to form a band or join one, but it took along time, but I kept honing my writing and composing. Finally this year me and my previously mentioned friends older brother got together, met a badass drummer, learned songs I already wrote and made new ones. Then we got a bass player and finally a screamer. We are about to play our first show in july and we all click really well and there's a certain something thats been happening that seems special, but who knows.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
ivd11
1,074 IQ
YEAR 1 - I was 12 years old and I envied my relatives on how good they could get in playing the guitar. So I hesitated to buy one. I learned the chords easily and moved into tablature (tabs)

YEAR 2 - So I started printing out the song that I practice and binding it into a book. So now I have 7 books 4 years later.

Year 3 - Got bored of the modern then I tried practicing classical songs.

YEAR 4 - Got bored again till I saw great guitar lickers and wanted to try one. I am now 16 and still improving my standard skill in guitar licking. \m/
Brian Krashpad
168 IQ
I started playing acoustic in the early '70's, when I was in junior high school. In high school I got a crappy electric. The only times I played in semi-public were at Young Life meetings, an interdenominational group that met in people's homes and we played acoustics and everyone sang.

In the late 70's I went to undergrad and didn't play much guitar. After I got out I taught school for a year and bought a decent amp and much better electric, and joined my first band in law school, in the Fall of 1980.

During the '80's I was in a bunch of informal "party bands" with friends that played all kinds of rock and punk and new wave covers, with the very occasional club gig. In '89 I made the switch to my first originals-band, with emphasis on playing local clubs. I've been in gigging originals bands most of the time since, frequently in more than one at a time. In the mid '90's I started playing in church too.

Rock Bands:

The Atomics guitar, vocals (1980-83)
Special Guest guitar, vocals (1984)
Generics guitar, vocals (1985)
Band of Fools guitar, vocals (1984-86)
Grandfathers of Punk bass, vocals (1986)
Tycho bass, vocals, guitar, keyboards (1985-86)
Camp 7 guitar (1989-90), vocals (1989-91), bass (1990-91), keyboards (1990)
Smart Bomb guitar, vocals (1991-93)
Allen Wrench bass, vocals (1994-95)
Crash Pad guitar, bass, vocals (1996-present)
Sick Dick and the Volkswagens (c. 2000?, one show only) guitar, vocals
Jetsam Bass, Vocals (2000-2001)
Hoyt and the Hotheads Bass (2002, and occasionally thereafter as needed), lead guitar (2003-2011), backing vocals
Cinnamon Hill Mandolin, Guitar (2009-2011)
Pedagogy Bass, Guitar (2010-2012)

Church bands:
Abiding Savior Luth. Ch. (c. 1995-2005) Guitar, bass, very rarely banjo
First Things First (First Luth. Ch.) (c. 2009-present) Guitar, occasional backing vocals, occasional mandolin, very rarely banjo or bass
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
My musical career started at age 12 when I got a really cheap Strat copy, like everyone does, and using an amp which had almost literally no overdrive, however, that was generally because the pickups on the guitar were terrible, so for the first month or so, I played through exercises and songs without overdrive (I had lessons from the first week I bought the guitar).

One month in, my granddad came over with a present; My first overdrive pedal, and when I whacked it on for the first time, I felt that I was ready to get on stage with Iron Maiden, that was truly an incredible feeling hearing that growl come out of my low budget gear, if I heard it today, I'd probably laugh at the tone, but back then, that tone was the best thing ever.

From there, I got more into my metal playing and even tried out a few easy solos, but my big breakthrough came six months in when I had to learn a solo piece for my GCSE performance which was set a year after; I was determined to learn Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name. That week, I sat down and powered through it, note for note, and because of this week of solid practice, I could finally play challenging solos, as I had the solo almost perfect, and I was extremely proud. From that I got the confidence to start a band with a friend of mine where we played covers, and we had our first concert where we played The Trooper, by Iron Maiden, and it went incredibly, my vocals left a lot to be desired, but it was such a buzz. At that gig, I fancied myself as a bit of a guitar monster (Only 8 months into my playing <_< until some guy got on stage after us and played Yngwie's Trilogy. Needless to say, I was stunned.

From there, I checked out more Yngwie, bought a metronome and practiced for hours and hours, wanting to get his scale runs up to speed. I was way ahead of myself, I asked my teacher to teach my Michael Angelo Batio's No Boundaries, and we spent weeks on a metronome, trying to get it to a decent speed, and we did, I learnt a three string scale run at full speed and I couldn't be happier. That was when I knew I wanted to be a neoclassical guitarist, so with an Ibanez RG and a Line 6 Amp, I was up for conquering the world, as I gigged around with that band and had a brilliant time playing many great concerts. I steadily progressed over the next year and a half until I could play most of Yngwie's songs, and was starting to try out some Dream Theater, to little success at the time.

This progression carried on until the summer of 2010, when I started year 11, and bought a Schecter 7 string to go with the Peavey Valve King that I had bought a year before, and I was so happy to be away from Floyd Roses. By then I was a skilled guitarist, and I was getting better with this new guitar, and so I carried it through my last year of Secondary school. In this time, my band fell apart, but I didn't care, because I had a college audition to work for. For this audition, I played Overture 1928 by Dream Theater, and after a lot of work, it was note perfect, and I couldn't be happier with my progress, my audition was successful and I was in!

In that summer before college, I met the best vocalist I've ever met, and we arranged a practice, as we'd met online. We got on immediately, and while the other members that came to that practice didn't stick around, me and her decided to keep writing music, she started to come over every week, and we'd work on songs, starting a band called Celestial Wish, a Symphonic Metal band, and we started to look for other members.

After an unsuccessful member search, we decided that we could write the music ourselves, as I'd recently purchased EastWest Quantum Leap, an orchestral package worth 1000 pounds, so we got all of our drum, bass and orchestral sounds from that. She then one day invited her friend over to see what we've done, and it turned out she played guitar too, so we chose her to fill the rhythm guitar position, she'd later become a 2nd lead guitarist after her ability became apparent.

Meanwhile, I had joined an established Hardcore band for extra money, but because of a lot of lies and misinformation, I left. Didn't even get paid. This summer just gone, I played in Hyde Park for the London Olympics in a tribute to The Doors, and once I got back from London, I went straight into recording with Celestial Wish, and made some brilliant recordings, so we were ready to search for members.

Now, in October, we're in talks which an extraordinary drummer who has toured worldwide, and currently searching for a bassist, and because of recent alliances formed with bands in the unsigned metal scene, and promoters, we're ready to storm the scene and get to fantastic places!
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
Spaztikko
2,246 IQ
Dude. You crank some mean beats.

I started playing a year ago, just shitty parts. I met my best friend who played with me in 3rd form, and he's better than me, so it pushed me to limits. I'm still improving, its amazing. I still have the same shit gear as when I started, but now we've cemented ourselves together so that we'll be like a core pair around ever changing members. It's pretty sweet.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Well I tried to learn guitar at age 11 in school, but that never really worked out, because I didn't like the way it was taught in the big group and also trying to learn sheet music that I'd not had any experience with or what we were actually learning, so the guitar got put down until 2 years later in another music class, when we were persuaded to go in groups to learn some song as a "band." Well, nothing actually came of this session thing, but being in a room with a couple of friends with instruments persuaded me that I wanted to learn the guitar properly. So I got a guitar for Christmas that year (2004) and started learning. I started out with the easy stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana, and took a few lessons to get me started.

The following year, me and friends decided to start a band, the problem being that there was no bass player. So in the summer, after getting my first and only "proper" guitar amp for my 14th birthday, I used some of the extra money I got from my birthday to buy my first bass. It was a £60 Jazz copy from Thomann. Really, I should have got a 5-string, but I spent the extra money on a cheap bass amp which I ended up selling anyway. So that is how I started out on bass. I also decided to stop with the guitar lessons at this point, since I decided I'd learned the basics and could do the rest myself.

I ended up getting a 5-string not long after and I was in and out of a couple of bands with friends for the following couple of years, and even ended up playing a couple of shows(!) in March of '07 on the bass. I think there is still an embarrassing video of the show I played and sang at our school hall somewhere. In September '07 I was booted out of that band even though I had helped set it up. Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose.

The starting out on drums was a different story. It was all about firstly getting the money together to buy it, and also convincing mum and dad that it was a good idea. What happened was that I ended up getting a bit of money together as a sort of combined "birthday and well done for passing your GCSEs" from my parents, which I used to buy some hardware. After getting some very cheap or free cymbals from shops and friends I decided to get lessons on that as well since I didn't actually have a full kit at home still. Then, as yet another Christmas present, I ended up with some proper drums to play on, and that was the beginning of my journey on drums.

I formed a band in summer '08 with me on drums and lead vocals and this guy I had found from an advert on guitar, and when my friend declared he was taking up bass in early '09, I recruited him for the position. We named ourselves Her Fatal Legacy We did a lot of practising, but never actually played any shows or anything, and finished with that at the end of '09. Me and the bass player friend tried it on with another band during the very end of that year and early 2010 but never really got anywhere with that. In September of that year I joined university in Manchester and auditioned for a couple of bands during the first year but never really got anywhere with any of them. Unfortunately, Manchester's music scene seems to be all indie and britpop and not really the heavier side of things that I was looking for. Not to mention they're all in places like Oldham and Wigan, rather than actually being in Manchester like they said on their advert! I am digressing now though.

This summer we got HFL back together. Sadly, it didn't last long since we were all at uni in different places but we did play one show, which was fun. So that is pretty much me up till now. I have also written and recorded a lot of music in the last 7 years and have my own solo facebook page, EddieHimself
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
cooda314
32 IQ
I started off in England a few years ago just writing lyrics and poetry, whilst vaguely learning the keyboard. I absolutely hated the routine learning system that the teacher put down, but fortunately a friend of mine showed me this glorious program - tuxguitar (basically guitarpro).

Tuxguitar allowed me to write all the ideas I had for instruments that I don't have, and most of the time they were awful because I didn't like to learn petty things like keys or time signatures.

I kept plowing forwards pretending I was still ignorant, getting great ideas and failing to establish them. Until eventually, now owning a guitar on top of my keyboard I was able to get things working as songs. Not everything I wanted, but enough to play things and invent.

The same friend who introduced me to tuxguitar brought my attention to Ableton Live and POD farm - meaning I could actually record ideas and gently lose limitations in tux. After a while I found that my catalogue of lyrics came to nearly 200, so I was able to convert a few into rudimentary, generally experimental songs which I had the gall to release onto bandcamp as 'Gather No Moss' - barabajagal.bandcamp.com/album/gather-no-moss

A short 5 song piece, highlighting my lack of ability in the studio, my inability to sing and my not complete knowledge of keys through dischords. The general sound was Joy Division/Syd Barrett/Frank Zappas bottom end. It was listenable, but very clearly a first attempt.

After this I wrote plenty of songs, of much better quality, which ended up being completed in New Zealand and released onto bandcamp as Marmite. barabajagal.bandcamp.com/

Marmite was released with the intention of being much more me and having a lot of different genres in one album, hence being love it or hate it on a song by song basis. I can't be sure whether people love it or not, but it certainly gets listened to - being 2nd most listened to in Otago and Dunedin, and making top 20 in New Zealand on bandcamp. But perhaps it is just bandcamp - no one has heard of me :p

Either way, I've started doing live shows, but due to the fact I am just me I can't perform songs on the album as they sound, I have to simplify them and thus ruin them on guitar.

As of now, I'm playing weekly at open mic nights and am recording for another album, probably called Imaginary Menagerie, and it's shaping up to be better in my view than Marmite.

Thanks for reading this far and thank you further if you followed the links
cjb2293
2,192 IQ
When i was a young tyke, my cousin used to come down and he'd bring his guitar with and play all kinds of stuff, and i thought "Oh man, he must be the coolest man alive and get all the girls".

Picked up my grandma's old acoustic and played it religiously for 8 hours a day during a summer (I had no friends haha). Learned a lot of green day, nirvana, easier rhythm stuff as well as some picking like "Under The Bridge" - Chili Peppers

Slowly started to accumulate gear and just kept playing all through high school. Now that i'm graduating college with a degree in music industry I am still playing guitar, as well as many other instruments, and have been working on writing my own original tracks.

When summer comes around, a band i'm helping out with will be going on an east coast tour. Pretty pumped!
KPareja93
10 IQ
Started playing the guitar when I was 18, was encouraged by an ex girlfriend to buy an instrument( she plays the drum) and also by Metal and rock bands like Metallica,Pink Floyd, guns n Roses etc plus I was growing tired of being a hardcore video gamer spending hours playing on a screen. After a while I taught myself how to play just by looking at tabs and I was progressing well but realized if I wanted to improve more quickly I would need a teacher, instead of playing songs all the time.

Its been a year and a half now since I started, I got a teacher and its pretty awesome and fun learning something every lesson . I'm looking for some people to play with so I can learn and it would be cool just to jam or even bigger plans. I just want to get good at playing the guitar
chriscobonham
UG's Feminist bastard
582 IQ
Started "playing guitar" at like 12, never really practiced or put any time or effort into it. Started putting in an honest effort towards making music at 15, gradually started opening my mind towards actually getting better at my instrument (I used to be a really big 3 chords and the truth guy, just ask thePTOD) and now I'm actually trying to push myself to be somewhat of a player in the local music scene, as anemic as it is in my hometown.
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
Remebol
Always Sleepy
206 IQ
I started this thread how many years ago? I NEVER would have thought that I would get this many responses still this day.
meow :3
kjcv
116 IQ
Started as an acoustic player. In my 2nd, I shifted to alternative rock and stayed there for several years. Decided to learn the blues in my 9th year and still doing it until now. It's my 11th year of guitar playing.
MikeBmusic
Never enuf guitars
76 IQ
First guitar was a $40 Aria acoustic I bought wiht birthday money from my grandfather when I was 15.
Still have the first electric guitar I bought new in 73 - a 72 Fender Telecaster. Played in a high school band, then let things slide during college years.
Post-college played in a classic rock band and started writing (and playign out) originals. gave it up in late 80s when it stopped being fun and gigging got tough in the area - bands were playing 1 hour sets with 2-3 other bands per night at clubs.
Playing/writing became a 'once a month' thing until my wife got me a Guitarport that let me plug my Tele in the ocmputer and use all the FX I had never had before. Then I played at a priate party gig with some friends in 2010 and I realized I really missed playing in front of people.
By 2011 I had recorded and released my first CD - 40 years after starting guitar, so named it "40 Years of Life, Love, Happiness and all of those things". 2nd CD released in 2013. Played in a couple of bands in the last year+, currently running a regular open mic while looking for an acoustic band that needs another guitar/voice.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
FrankDeets
45 IQ
I have been playing bass since middle school so for 14 years and have gone back and forth on upright versus electric bass. but ive done show tunes, classical music, jazz, pop etc but finally chose free improve because I love improvising all the time. I really love to be soloing on the bass so that was the life I chose but wanted to focus on something other than classical.
Northernmight
UG's Churchburner
1,352 IQ
Wellurh! Back when i was fifteen, i got a girlfriend who played guitar - nothing especially amazing, just some chords and that, and she played with some other people in some sort of youth-program thing - for SOME reason, this made me want to play, it must have intrigued me, cause she really wasn't that into it. I was already VERY into music, more for art and lyrical content than musicianship in itself, since i didn't play or understand music at the time. My fave artist was Marilyn Manson. Actually, still is. Rather unorthodox, but there ya go.

So i told my old lady, who happened to work at a boarding-school kind of thing for troubled youths, and she referred me to the guy who ran the music program at her school. So i went to him and got a few lessons, learned some basic chords, but after very few lessons, the guy, sadly, moved away, and i went lessonless for a long time. But in this time, i kept practicing, i learned the typical basic things from a few mates, such as Metallica rythm-parts and yada-yada.

Then at 17, i started at a school for weirdoes that don't fit in anywhere (Gotten kicked out of every school, ever) And since i played some pretty basic guitar, and i've always been a fairly bright and humourous guy, i managed to befriend a tattooed, longhaired fellow, who had been playing in tons of bands for decades, since he was a teacher at the school. Pretty much that whole year, all i did in school, every day, was go to the music room, and be taught guitar by this guy. 8 hours a day. It was awesome.
I was very into extreme metal at the time, still dig it, and this guy made me appreciate stuff like Neil Young, Gary Moore, Zeppelin and all kinds of stuff - he taught me pentatonics, the major scale - and at home i played constantly and figured out how to apply the scales and their relation to eachother by myself.

Also, at 17, i recorded a Black Metal album, being into that stuff, and being good friends with most of the TRVE KVLT people from back in the early 90ies who started that stuff in Scandinavia - so i recorded in a studio of a semi-famous friend (As famous as you can be in Black Metal, i suppose :p)

At that time, my girlfriend left me (The same girlfriend from the beginning), and that completely ****ed with my mind, and i grew very depressed - to be honest, a state i never managed to snap completely out of. That's when i started playing alot of very deprissive, sad, acoustic and clean songs in my room, and played with effects such as reverb and delay alot.

Then, i went to a boarding school thingy, where i met a guy who was the most INSANE shredmachine i've ever met, and a great friend. This guy would literally play Yngwie Malmsteen songs as WARMUP. And he introduced me to his, and since then, my own biggest guitar-hero. Buckethead. I fell completely in love with Buckethead, his ways of playing and his style and melody. So i got alot into technical guitar, and practiced it constantly. I am sad to say, i never became a shredmachine. But i became.. Better. Aloooot better.

Age 19, a new year, a new boarding school (Told ya i got kicked out everywhere), this one specialized in music - i applied as a guitarist, and i did learn alot while i was there (Till i was kicked out...), but probably the biggest change in my musical life happened then. Turns out i was a pretty ****ing amazing singer. And i just never realized - never seriously sang before. And i ended up singing with a ton of musicians on that school, and lending vocals on a handful of records for people who needed it and such.

The last few years are abit of a haze honestly. Guitar, songwriting..
Here i am, at the age of 22. And the last couple of months, i've completely stopped practicing guitar in the way i used to, my interest have strayed from playing great solo's to writing great songs. Or atleast try to. I spend my time writing riffs, lyrics and vocal melodies for a three-piece band, where i sing and play guitar at the same time (Which is hard as ****.. imo) We play alot of different stuff. I'm very based in 90ies rock, i guess, with my love for stuff like Manson, Smashing Pumpkins and Type O Negative - our Synth/synthbass dude is a total indiehead, and infuses everything with radiohead-esque ambience. And our drummer is a prog-rocker. Tbh, probably the best drummer i ever played with. He is amazing.

The only sad thing is that my voice have has ****ed up alot lately. I'm a chainsmoker. Been smoking 2 packs and then some, every day, since i was 12. so that's 10 years - i am finally beginning to feel it, with everyday breathing problems, and now it's affecting my voice too.

So my plan for the future is to try and pack in the smoking, keep writing songs, and attempt to become adept at playing and singing at the same time, i find the multitasking thing INCREDIBLY hard. Also, at the ripe age of 22 i have developed a teenage-esque obsession with The Smashing Pumpkins, especially Billy Corgan. Am i the only one to realize that he's probably GOD of the vocal melody? Frickin' immense!

This was long, and i doubt anyone actually cares about it, but i thought it would be fun to write it out, just to remind myself. And it was!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Remebol
Always Sleepy
206 IQ
I started this thread 8 years ago and you've been playing guitar for 7 years. I started this thread a year before you thought about picking up guitar. Hot dayum.
meow :3
Last edited by Remebol at Jan 9, 2015,
esky15
Tab Contributor
860 IQ
I was probably 10 or something. My brother took some basic guitar lessons from a teacher at school, and he and some friends had a cover band. I always thought it was cool, but I was never allowed to touch it because if obviously break it haha. Then the oldest brother(3 of us) started to play a bit.

12 years old. Then one day I was home alone(small town, not uncommon for a young kid to be home alone) and went into his room and plugged it, and I sat there making DJ noises with the side of my hand on the strings. I think I did it a couple more times and he noticed stuff was moved or caught me, I don't remember, and he said just be careful and don't wreck anything.

So my oldest bro was playing in the living room one day and I asked him to teach me. He taught me the Intro(using tabs) to between angels and insects by papa roach. I was hooked. Started playing all the time, saved up a little cash and I got a squire strat. I would sit and read tabs and learn songs for hours whenever I could. Sum 41 was my favourite band at the time, blink 182, easy stuff like that, then I started to listen to and play static x and a little heavier stuff and eventually Metallica.

2003(13) started to jam with a buddy of mine who played guitar as well. Played tons of Rammstein and Turbonegro. 2004ish we started to jam with the drummer of my brothers band, and Russell ended up switching to bass. Had a little 4 piece band going, guitar bass drums singer.
My brothers band's bassist quit just before they had a little garage gig, so they asked Russell to fill in and I tagged along as an extra guitarist(at this point I was on the same level as brother, maybe even a little better.) so after that show they kinda broke up and we asked bro to play with us, and we had a big party we were throwing, a rock fest kinda thing, and our singer was planning to go to the east coast during that time so we kicked him out and I took over singing(terrible singer.)

2006. The band was together for about 2 years, didn't play much live shows, maybe a couple a year, never any paying I don't think. Our drummer moved away and brother wanted out as he and I were the more dedicated of the two.
I was eventually asked to join a thrashy death metal kinda band which was tons of fun. I played with them for about 2 years, but they lived 2 hours away so travel sucked, so I left.

2008. Both brothers and a friend of ours and myself started jamming, and my brother switched to drums because we needed a drummer, and we needed a bassist, so the other brother decided to do it. Great, we have a band going, but none of us can sing(I couldn't sing still.) So we ask Fallon. We knew she could sing and liked the classic rock and stuff that we were playing.

We had about 8 or 10 songs, and there was a band playing at a bar a couple towns over. It was the teachers band(first paragraph) so we asked if we could play between one of their sets. He came and gave us a listen and liked what he heard.

Later that year, and a summer filled with learning music, we had our own PA system, and our first solo gig at the local bar for Halloween. For the next couple of years we started to get a lot of gigs, expanding our set list, and starting to get comfortable.

2014 I was asked to join another local band because their guitarist was starting a new job and couldn't commit 100%, so I was a third guitarist, but he quit shortly after because he was having another kid.
End of 2014 and the singer and rhythm guitarist left to pursue here solo folk stuff(basically just an acoustic playing chords below everything, it sounded terrible imo.) leaving me as the sole guitarist which is a nice change from the 5 piece of the other band.

We were out our singer though, which wasn't bad. I have developed a decent voice these days and get better at singing every day. Our drummer has a nice deep powerful voice as well. I thought we could pull off a 3 piece and we share the singing(we already sang a few songs each) but our bassist figured we needed a singer again, so she asked a friend without consulting is. It worked out just fine though.

I kind of got caught up in the moment and just wrote and wrote so I may have gotten off track of what I should have been on, but whatever! Enjoy.
nobbers
79 IQ
So I started when I was 9, taking lessons over the summer with my fourth grade school teacher, who would always play songs with his guitar. I had a crap Yamaha with no electronics.

Went over basics, learned how to read music, etc. Started playing actual songs, and I caught on insanely fast compared to other people.

After the summer ended I no longer had time, but I kept playing, but I was learning slower because he wasn't there.

5th grade I kept going, and I played with my teacher at our school stage playing christmas carols to everyone for around an hour (My first gig came quickly, lol) I started on an acoustic without electronics, so I wasn't amped and nobody could really hear me, but hey, its a start
Christmas, I got my first electric guitar and amp. It was a Fender Squire (Like a mini-strat, but crap) and I had a tiny solid state amp that I still have

6th grade was uninteresting, but there was a crappy concert elementary school band program that I had interest in but didn't join because I couldn't.

Before jumping into middle school and High school, I had also learned really childish drum set, consisting of only rock beat.

Now onto 7th grade.

From my elementary school, you could go to two different middle schools, most of them went to one, and I was one of around 10 people who went to the other one, so most people were new to me.

I joined the school concert band as a percussionist, again catching on really quickly, but I never did my assigned practice records and playing tests
I also played guitar for the jazz band, which was pretty solid for the two years I was there. I learned all my scales on guitar, pretty much mastered barre chords. Theory wise, I grew a lot, learning ideas for chord progressions and such.
At the same time, I took lessons from a really good guitarist at my local guitar center for the blues genre. I don't feel like there was much I could pull from that experience, probably because blues isn't my thing playing-wise

8th Grade
Continued concert band (Which, for 8th grade was named symphonic band). I became the section leader for percussion, was the only one who could:
-Play a buzz roll
-Play diddles
-Sightread
-Use a 4 mallet grip on keyboard instruments
So, things were pretty good for me.
Along with that, I played at our middle school fundraiser (Titled "The Spaghetti Dinner") which included what was basically an open mic, people usually sang along to a backing track or played their instrument as a solo. I was unique, picking up my guitar and playing "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. Nobody knew I sang, and I didn't have any confidence in my own abilities because nobody ever gave me feedback because nobody knew.
So, at the audition, I made my music teacher cry because it's kind of a sad song.
Of course she said a lot about me the next day after that happened, and everyone was pretty much in disbelief
The day before the actual event, my teacher asked if anyone would like to perform their solos so that they get used to the pressure. Naturally, everyone wanted me to play, so I did.
I made 3 of my friends cry, and one in particular made me feel really bad because she was completely breaking down because her father died not even a month before
And of course, the actual performance went great, had a bunch of people coming up to me afterwards and congratulating me and stuff, and that really hooked me into this, because now I found what people think of it and I found confidence in it.

Before I transition into High School, we had an event called Pep Night where we go to a football game with the High School Marching Band, and we see their field show, and I was in awe as to what I was going to get in to.

High school: Freshman Year (Almost to the present)
HIGH SCHOOL!
The time of mediocrity and stuff like that.

I did Marching Band, Concert Band, and Winter Percussion. All I have to say, ****ing amazing. I played 5th Bass in the drumline for Marching, 4th Bass in Winter

Marching Band:
Undefeated NCBA Season (General and in High Percussion)
8th in WBA Grand Championships
Not to mention, lots of fun
Our Show: (Titled "Mysteries of Ancient Egypt")

Concert Band:
Sucks. Concert Band always sucks compared to the marching activities.

Winter Percussion:
Undefeated season.
1st time competing in WGI (World Guard International) as an open class ensemble
- Won 1st at Fresno (Not that much of a big deal in terms of the whole scale of WGI)
1st place by 6 points (Thats actually a shit ton) at Northern California Percussion Alliance Championships

Our Winter Percussion Show (Titled "Diary of a Madman")

Now we are in the present, I am section leader for the Bassline

On the guitar side, I began making recordings that were mediocre at best, and I pretty much fell in love with Damien Rice's music, I just absolutely adore the way his lyrics flow and his simplicity in music writing, not to mention it's dense with metaphor and there's always some good story with it.
My cover of Volcano by Damien Rice

I played Tears in Heaven again for our school talent show, and I played Broken Angel by Boyce Avenue for our solo recitals (mandatory for freshmen) along with a Snare Drum solo