Page 62 of 62
Compared to my friends Dual Rec solo head my Roadster is warmer/darker sounding his head is brighter than my 2X12 closed back combo both amps are playing through Celestian V30s.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 15, 2016,
Guess I'll jump in too. Here's my Stiletto.

Been reading through this thread the last few days. It's kinda funny to look back at the posts around '07-'08 and see all the rumors and hype about the Mark V, and now it's been out for several years.

So, for all the Stiletto guys, do you find yours to be overly bright? Maybe it's just me but it's almost too much at times. I've done plenty of tweaking on it, and I've had to use some fairly extreme settings compared to what I'm used to in order to tame it. Just wondering if others had the same impressions and what you might have done to cope with it. Here's the settings I'm using at the moment.

Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by Fumble fingers
thanks

No problem I also have a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Patriots 2 Texas Heats and 2 Swamp Thangs that I use for my Peavey 6505+ we hooked his Dual Rec Solo and My Roadster up to it with the same result, I may be biased but I prefer the Roadster, my friend does too and is looking to sell his Solo head so he can get a Roadster head!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 16, 2016,
Quote by BCKRedBaron
Guess I'll jump in too. Here's my Stiletto.

Been reading through this thread the last few days. It's kinda funny to look back at the posts around '07-'08 and see all the rumors and hype about the Mark V, and now it's been out for several years.

So, for all the Stiletto guys, do you find yours to be overly bright? Maybe it's just me but it's almost too much at times. I've done plenty of tweaking on it, and I've had to use some fairly extreme settings compared to what I'm used to in order to tame it. Just wondering if others had the same impressions and what you might have done to cope with it. Here's the settings I'm using at the moment.

I've had the Trident for quite a while now and I wouldn't call it overly bright. It has a nice high-Mid that really cuts. I haven't had the chance to look at the preamp tubes in it but a lot of folks here like the JJs to give it a darker tone.
It does sit really well in a mix, which I guess is where it really matters. I'm probably also just used to darker amps. Aside from my Splawn, which is bright but not as much as the Stiletto, all I've had is Peaveys.

I had JJs in it at one time. Now I have a mishmash of vintage stuff, not sure exactly what's in it. Power tubes are JJ 6CA7s. Those sound killer in a Stiletto. Truthfully though, the Stiletto doesn't react as significantly to tube changes as a Splawn or a Marshall. Changing even one tube in those amps tends to yield a noticeable difference, but it's very subtle in the Mesa.

Looks like I may need to make those pics smaller...
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
As I have stated on this forum before, I have been a Mesa Boogie player since 1987 with my 2 rack mounted Mark IIIs all the way up to my dual Triple Rectifiers split by an isolation transformer to run a stereo setup with 2 H3000s, TC Electronic 2290 digital delay, various stomp boxes in a rack drawer, and all controlled via MIDI including amp switching with a Rocktron/ Bradshaw switching system. My speakers are 4 straight 4x12 Recto cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s.
Anyone who says that Recto's are too bass heavy should not be playing Mesas in the first place. One of the many perks of having a Triple Recto is that the large transformers and massive output power pays great dividends in having a great clean tone with lots of headroom.
I play Tom Anderson Grand Ams which are used at the Boogie factory in Petaluma to test the voicing of their amps among other guitars as well. If you play Les Pauls and other dark voiced guitars you may want to roll the bass back, but these high gain amps are made with scooped mids with the bass and treble being forward as in the modern metal of today.
I love all of my Boogies and I like many other amps such as Reeves Super 78, Friedman's
Double J and Dirty Shirley, and the Mezzabarba M Zero, but my all time favorite is the Road King 2. Nothing is as versatile as this amp and I don't mind tweaking it to get what I want out of it (That's kinda what I do!) This amp rewards the patient individual with many different amps out of one, something that Vox is trying to do with its valve modeling AV series, but it ain't anything like this. There is no modeling here, just an array tube variations and configurations that make many different amps come to life in an organic and elegant fashion.
So get down...Boogie oogie oogie!!!
About to grab a Lonestar Special in the near future (when I get enough money/sell some of my current gear).

I've been back and forth with either the lonestar or a Fender Deluxe Reverb and just wanted some peoples thoughts who have played it/owned it
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CSV Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Schecter C7 Blackjack
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Has anyone compared the newer JP-2C with the usual suspects? Dual Rec, Mark V, Roadster, any of the smaller versions (although I'd prefer 3 channels)? I know watts isn't the same as volume, but which one would handle best as a bedroom / low volume option? The JP-2C has nice tone shaping options with the dual EQ, but that's the most $$ out of the bunch.
Quote by black_box
Has anyone compared the newer JP-2C with the usual suspects? Dual Rec, Mark V, Roadster, any of the smaller versions (although I'd prefer 3 channels)? I know watts isn't the same as volume, but which one would handle best as a bedroom / low volume option? The JP-2C has nice tone shaping options with the dual EQ, but that's the most $$ out of the bunch.

I'd grab one used and if the price was right. I like how they tweaked an already iconic amp with amazing tones and the original has held its price well.

I'm not sure what low volume means but I play the Mark V loud, not soft; otherwise, what's the point?
Quote by black_box

There is a quite a bit of NADs, discussions and comparisons of this amp on Rig-Talk FYI.
what do EL34's sound like in a MK V compared to the 6L6 ??...... anybody ever try it ??..... I need to try something different in the MK V
Quote by black_box
Thanks, I haven't really ventured outside of UG I think the first review I found sealed the deal, although probably a rectifier 2x12 instead of the 4x12.
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=178801

Arrived today with a vertical 2x12. There was a small amount of panic before I discovered that the power cable was not seated properly inside the amp
Wanna start a new thread but whatever.

I have a 2x12 Roadking II combo. Speakers are both Mesa C90s; good-great for cleans and breakup to light crunch sounds, but as of late Ive been finding the high gain to be lacking, probably due to the amp being 3/4 open or the speakers themselves. Just not tight enough even with a booster and sometimes the lows flub out on me on higher volumes.

I checked Craigslist for a seperate 2x12 cab for hi-gain tones only (Roadking II allows me to use two cabs for different channels). Found a Mesa 2x12 horizontal for $400 and an Avatar 2x12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs for $300. Owned the Mesa 2x12 before so I know what it can do. But the Avatar is cheaper, just dont have any experience with the Swamp Thangs.

Have you guys have any experience with Swamp Thangs with Mesa amps, specifically Rectifers? I want tighter low ends.
The EVM is THE guitar speaker. Perfect for pretty much everything.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
2014 Dual Rectifier, all in o'clock:

Channel 3
100 watts
Modern
Presence: 10:00
Treble: 12:00
Bass: 10:00
Mids: 12:00
Volume: 10:00
Gain 11:00
Loop off
Bold/Diode
Stock 6L6

Schecter w/ EMG 81 --> Analogman Tube Screamer (Level on full, Drive on zero, Tone halfway) --> Amp --> Rectifier 2x12 vertical with a homemade Clearsonic style baffle. Sounds huge.
Last edited by PB26 at Aug 8, 2016,
Well guys, I'm bumping this thread to show off my latest purchase, because I am needy and want attention.

But seriously though, I was hoping someone with some RoadKing experience *cough*Ippon*cough* would chime in with a pointer or two on settings and such. I've spent a couple hours today fiddling around on it, and I got some good tones all around. Still working on it of course.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Aug 13, 2016,
I go on to YouTube and look at the various demos Mesa's produced of the different Rectifiers. This forces me outside the box and trying things that I wouldn't necessarily dial in in my own.

Plan B is to put all the EQ/gain knobs at 12:00. Sometimes I get carried away tweaking and this is a useful reset. Most channels/modes will produce a very usable sound with the EQ/Gain in the 11:00 to 13:00 range.

To keep everything simple... I'd start on 100w mode, diode w/ 6L6s since that's the baseline Recto sound, then experiment with vintage on tube rectifier for leads.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Aug 13, 2016,
^ I did look at a couple YT vids but neither posted settings. One was Ola Englund's demo. I wish he had showed his settings because it sounded pretty killer. I know he was using Ch4 Modern on EL34s. Another one was SungHyun Kim's cover of On the Backs of Angels, which got pretty close to that Mk V tone, but again, no settings. You mentioned on my NAD thread about the presence settings on the lead channels. Right now I have them kinda backwards. Ch4, my lead tone, is on vintage mode, presence just above noon, and it's a bit smoother. I don't know how it's gonna sound in a mix yet. Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to find out. One other thing you mentioned is that t75s will sound harsh up top, which is what I have in my 4x12 cab, and a Recto cab will smooth out those highs. Those cabs have V30s, right? Or at least the Mesa version? I have a couple V30s laying around, plus my Stiletto cab has one in it. I might try that next. Thanks for the tips!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Thanks I'll check that out. I tried my other two cabs today, one a Peavey 112 with a g12h100 (which sounded great), the other a Stiletto 112 with the Mesa v30 (which sounded awful). My Legacy 412 came with v30s so I may swap a couple back in to see how it reacts. Plus I swapped modes on ch3&4 to match the intended presence sweep. I'll just have to make the mental note that my solo tone is ch3 now. Getting closer!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I find generic V30s can get a bit icepicky in the room, but an SM57 loves them. The Mesa V30s are a bit smoother with a rolled off top end (relative to G12Ts) and have less upper mid spike (relative to regular V30s), so they sound a bit more even across the mids.

I'm not really a fan of 1x12s. Most are simply too boxy.
Some good tones in that video. It seems like it's gonna be a neat little amplifier. I especially like the built in speaker load and headphone out.

What I'm curious about is where this amp is intended to fit into Mesa's lineup. What are they trying to do from this amp that they aren't with, say, the Mark series or whatever?

Personal opinion: I guess it's just what's in style now, or the way high gain amps are marketed these days, but it seems to me like everything's so focused on getting a 'tight' tone for metal. Don't get me wrong, I dig how tight this amp sounds. The guy from Monuments (Browne?) had the best tone in that demo IMO, but sometimes I just want my amp to bulldoze my house down instead of punching a bunch of holes in the wall. /Rant
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
There's like 3 people on Rig-Talk that have bought/ordered one already along with some other demos and info found. Also, there's a guy (Steven Seawall) who talked to Randy about the amp some time back. It is not classified in the Rectifier, Mark or R/A type series. Those amps seem to have a love/hate relationship with people. Seems he wants to define a new category. The cleans and modern metal tones were very good. What I didn't really hear yet is that 80s hair metal crunch or brown sound if you will. If it doest that convincingly I'd consider buying one used.