Page 214 of 214
Quote by michaelscofield
The problem here is, quite honestly, Mayer doesn't seem to have anything to sing about. Just not much to say. If listening to this album gives the slightest insight into what it's like to converse with John, he must be a fairly boring person. That's not a negative, he's just successful, financially independent and perhaps not very artistically motivated.

I think you pointed it out very well. Mayer didn't learn from his mistakes with the media, he just ran away and lost whatever made him unique in the process.

I like B&R because I don't mind those generic folkish songs but man that thing is miles away from his earlier work. You can't compare that to Continuum anyway but if you take Room for Squares, you can clearly see it lacks the boldness and originilaty John had in the writing of those songs.
Quote by ArtyArnaud
You can't compare that to Continuum anyway but if you take Room for Squares, you can clearly see it lacks the boldness and originilaty John had in the writing of those songs.

I disagree with that because his compositions on Room for Squares were still very complex. Neon is one of his more complex songs ever made. City Love, Why Georgia, and My Stupid Moth are all legit musically, and the lyrics on 83 are more poignant than most anything on B&R. Hell, you could even break down the music in YBIAW and see it is more complex than most things on mainstream radio.
Quote by FN77
I disagree with that because his compositions on Room for Squares were still very complex. Neon is one of his more complex songs ever made. City Love, Why Georgia, and My Stupid Moth are all legit musically, and the lyrics on 83 are more poignant than most anything on B&R. Hell, you could even break down the music in YBIAW and see it is more complex than most things on mainstream radio.

Yeah thats what I meant RFS to me is more original and complex than B&R. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
i really like his new album. his voice is much more settled, relaxed and unenthusiastic, i really like it. this is also going to get a lot of people into bob dylan which is always good.

Quote by FN77
You wont appreciate Mayer unless you see him playing live.

nah, just listen to continuum, genghis.
Click here to hear my John mayer cover out right now March 2k17
Yeah, I'm gonna break ranks here and say I love this album. The lyrics to B+R killed me-
"I still got time, I still got faith, I call on both of my brothers
I've got a mum, I've got a dad, but they do not have each other."
I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I heard that. That's the past two years of my life summed up. If I Ever Get Round to Living is a killer track too. And Queen of California has replaced Graceland by Paul Simon as my new favourite roadtrip song. Out of all of them, I'd say Something Like Olivia is the only skippable song. I was really looking forward to it, but after a few listens it's just a bit bland. I felt like it should have gone somewhere, but just kept plodding on. Loved the tone on the solo though!

So, I'd say this is my fave John Mayer release, to date. It just perfectly fits into my life right now. Gorgeous instrumentation, vocals are so great, and the lyrics are more grown up than ever. So that's my thoughts on the album. I get that all the die hard blues guys on here are pretty unhappy with it, but I honestly feel like this might be his Pet Sounds.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by laid-to-waste
i really like his new album. his voice is much more settled, relaxed and unenthusiastic, i really like it. this is also going to get a lot of people into bob dylan which is always good.

nah, just listen to continuum, genghis.

I agree with you. My mother named me after Bob Dylan and though I am not a big fan of him I do enjoy listening to a few songs.
I told my mother about the new John Mayer CD and she went out an bought it and told me it reminded her of some Bob Dylan. Glad to see someone else notices it too.

BTW: I am brand new here!
I'm just now checking out some tracks from the new album.

It's certainly not Try!...
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i really like "Face to Call Home" as well as "Born and Raised". great lyrics and just spectacular songwriting, i think.

i dig the guitar playing "Walt Grace's Submarine Test 1967". it gives a different feel in guitar playing. i think he said it's a dobro?

"Queen of California" is so easy to listen to, it's just great. I love the harmony on that.

"Love is a Verb" is just so simple yet so awesome.

i like this album. i wouldn't say i like it more than continuum yet, but i'll see how i feel in a week.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by robertreilly666
i really like him. i wouldnt really class him as blues as much as acoustic rock.

his songs are very well put together and in my opinion he is one of the best songwriters around at the molment.

You've obviousy never heard of the trio
My dad and I can't get enough of this album. If the lyrics were better, this album is on par with Continuum. I listened to both back to back last night.
meh
I think Born and Raised is his best album, but the reason I came here was to announce that I've discovered how amazing edge of desire (from Battle Studies.) It's my favourite song by John and I think it makes me forgive him for how lacklustre of the album was.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by AgainstYou
I think Born and Raised is his best album, but the reason I came here was to announce that I've discovered how amazing edge of desire (from Battle Studies.) It's my favourite song by John and I think it makes me forgive him for how lacklustre of the album was.

Agree entirely
Edge of Desire is an amazing song
I feel like I'm in the minority here but I didn't dislike Battle Studies, there are a few tracks I skip past but there's a couple on all of his releases that I do that with
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
Agree entirely
I feel like I'm in the minority here but I didn't dislike Battle Studies, there are a few tracks I skip past but there's a couple on all of his releases that I do that with

I really really hated BS when it came out- I listened to it all but didn't ever want to buy it. But after BandR, I felt like I should give it a shot. I still skip a whole bunch of songs, but there are some that are growing on me. Edge of Desire is one of them. Perfectly Lonely is another. I till hate Who Says though...
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
Agree entirely

I love Battle Studies and Born and Raised; I can listen to both albums all the way through.
Battle Studies isn't a bad album. There are some great songs from it. The rest aren't bad, they just don't develop much and there are a lot of fade outs.

I kind of feel the same about Born and Raised, other than the fade out part.
Quote by Steph Bets
I really really hated BS when it came out- I listened to it all but didn't ever want to buy it. But after BandR, I felt like I should give it a shot. I still skip a whole bunch of songs, but there are some that are growing on me. Edge of Desire is one of them. Perfectly Lonely is another. I till hate Who Says though...

I really dont get the hate for Who Says, the guitar playing is so tasty on that tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-eeOoyB-Ps
I cant understand how the same man who made I dont trust myself also made the bullshit song whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. If he's not playing the blues he should release an acoustic album, i think a lot of what's good about some songs get lost in the production.
Quote by Steph Bets
you guys seen this yet? http://youtu.be/chLFi2cFxzo maaannn now I don't know which version I like better...

I don't like that at all. The album version is so much better.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I don't know if anyone heard John Mayer's playing on Frank Ocean's new album, both on White and Pyramids. You guys should check it out. White is super tasteful.[it's instrumental]
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
wow, i'm listening to SRV's Texas Flood for the first time, and oh dear god i hear so much john mayer in his style it's unbelievable, it's as if john mayer just replicated his voice

i love them both though
Click here to hear my John mayer cover out right now March 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
wow, i'm listening to SRV's Texas Flood for the first time, and oh dear god i hear so much john mayer in his style it's unbelievable, it's as if john mayer just replicated his voice

i love them both though

Take a listen to the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50RjCGVPhbA
Ah ok. Yeah Mayer is definitely hugely influenced by SRV especially in his solo blues stuff. Lots of Hendrix influence in his rhythm playing too.

Those influences go back to Albert King, Johnny Guitar Watson, Guitar Slim, T Bone Walker and for the rhythm, Curtis mayfield, Ike Turner, Steve Cropper and other R&B/Soul fullas
Quote by carmour
Ah ok. Yeah Mayer is definitely hugely influenced by SRV especially in his solo blues stuff. Lots of Hendrix influence in his rhythm playing too.

Ha ha ha. No kidding ?
Found a few weeks ago under the carpet of my trusty old Honda an old unlabelled K7 lost maybe 15 years ago. Cool. Just love relics that pop out time to time from the past.
Slapped it in the K7 player, and .... Whoa! John Mayer ? Naaah ... impossible!
Gotta to be the Ghost of John Mayer, then. So much for originality.

Anyways, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Wq2lKv4oo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEApFkpH02Y

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Last edited by ColdGin at Aug 16, 2012,
if you want modern blues listen to the white stripes or black keys
I like some of his stuff. I have more respect for him now than I did a few years back when I thought he was just another MTV douche product. He proved to be legit. He's talented. The SRV and Hendrix influence is pretty profound.

He had one hell of a band a few years ago with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan. For me, that's when his street cred went up and I knew he was legit. I was watching them on youtube playing Jimi Hendrix's "Wait Until Tomorrow". Killer version! Pretty funny watching the reaction of these little teeny bopper girls as the band was killing it. The lamest crowd I've ever seen. They had no ****ing idea what was going on.
im a huge fan of his playing, but not always a huge fan of all his songs.

with that said, i dont understand why some people imply that he isnt doing the music he wants to. quite frankly, he is succesful enough now that if he just wanted to do stuff in the same genre as Try!, he would.

and quite frankly, though im not a big fan of his earlier bubble gum pop albums, if i could write songs like that, i would!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the live at abbey road recordings are excellent. Believe and Gravity are awesome tunes, his custom strats sound face-meltingly good!