Page 21 of 21
Ok thanks...I'll probably be back in this thread in the future, going away so I probably wont fully decide which one to buy in a few weeks time.
Quote by al112987
I've never had a problem with a single channel amp going from clean to overdrive. Just use your guitar's volume knob. A big part of why Marshall tube amps are so revered is their response to different playing dynamics and the different sounds available by changing your guitar's settings or changing your picking style.

it does depend on how much gain you use/need, though. That works with classic rock levels of od, not so much with brootz.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Well I mainly play A7X (shockingly), Metallica, GnR and Stone Sour. So I thought the JCM would manage that, A7X said they exclusively use it now. I sometimes play the likes of Trivium, BFMV but im not a gain freak.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind any opinions on the JCM 800 Reissue either!
Last edited by Steve635z at May 11, 2011,
hey would i be able to play stuff like bullet for my valentine, dream theatre and george benson on a tsl100 and 1936 cab?
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
you could but it wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

hey guys. i have a question. what kind of transformer would i need to replace the one in my VS100R? i think mines been damaged and im looking to fix it up. anyone know? thanks!
Any clue which model would get me close to RHCP, Radiohead, Modest Mouse...and then I guess stuff as heavy as megadeth, kyuss, etc (or if it takes pedals well, that'd probably work)?
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Well, RHCP's stuff is the Marshall Major but that won't get you Megadeth tones.

You could check out the Silver Jubilee, Frusciante used those for a while as well, I think.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd suggest a JCM800, and a fuzz pedal for Kyuss. You'll have to play with the controls a bit for the lower gain stuff though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
here's the situation with my Marshall. i had it plugged into the schools stage way back when and it cut out on me. the amp got hot, the sound cut out and it would crackle and pop when i cut it on. took it to a repairman, said it blew the fuse, a couple resistors and a couple transistors. well, about 10 hours of playtime at home the same thing happened. now i have a friend looking at it and said it COULD be the transformer causing the problem, and its been replaced before. it still had a price sticker on it. so maybe someone put the wrong one in?
which jcm 900s have two channels? and how is the clean channel? does it distort a lot at high volume?
Well, I finally done it!! I got my dream amp a Marshall 2555SL
Can' wait til it gets here. I've been drooling over this amp for 4 long years!

Of the $1000-$2000 tube amps, what would you recommend? I am currently aiming to buy a Vintage Modern. I have an American Strat and play 70's and 80's hard rock (AC/DC would be pretty much the minimum amount of gain I use unless the song is played cleanly) and a little bit of metal (nothing past Metallica in terms of distortion). Oh and I'm aiming for lower 1k prices.
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 1, 2012,
I prefer to stay away from clones. Idk, I guess I'm just picky :P
If I spend a lot of money, i want the real deal.
^ problem with that is some cloners make better marshall copies than marshall attempts to make at the real deal.

the quality and tone is just there anymore.

That Slash Sig JCM 800 2555 up above there is probably the last great Marshall ever made. That was roughly 1996. The Vintage Modern and JVM are 'OK' but they are not made like they used to be and they don't have the same Marshall tone you are after.

I know you had a thread going not to far back. If you 'have' to have a Marshall get a used one that has been modded. That is my suggestion. Jose modded. Cameron modded. FJA modded. Splawn modded. etc

Edit
*sorry Marshall fan's, I know this is the Marshall thread - but it had to be said*
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 2, 2012,
i'm guessing the thread was made before the class 5 was released.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by StratR96
I prefer to stay away from clones. Idk, I guess I'm just picky :P
If I spend a lot of money, i want the real deal.

The real deal? I think I should take offence to this. What makes you think a process worker in a factory does better work than an experienced tech building clones? A lot of clones are heaps better than "the real deal." They tend to be built by enthusiasts who use better quality components and do better work. "Real deal"? Blow me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 23, 2012,
If it don't say Marshall, I ain't havin it. You Aussies don't git it k? Go grill somthin with ur barbies or whatever. Yeeeeehawwww
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If it don't say Marshall, I ain't havin it. You Aussies don't git it k? Go grill somthin with ur barbies or whatever. Yeeeeehawwww
Well aren't you an advertiser's dream?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think he's trolling you cath (not the first guy, the ibanez dude i mean)
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I know; hence the
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hhahahahahaha

Cathbard I feel lke if I ever met you I'd give you a huge hug. So be ready for that....O_o
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Cathbard
The real deal? "Real deal"? Blow me.

you go girl.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by Cathbard
I know; hence the

ah i missed that
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

How much is a good condition TSL122 worth? It looks like these were quite expensive when new 2000+. I have read about them being not so reliable. There is one I saw locally for $500 but it is about 175 miles away. It looks very nice but I want to know if it is worth it. I want another big tube amp for "stereo" sound.
A halfstack... Like this?

It's a Late '70s 2204. Has a very sharp cutting sound with a very open and uncompressed response even on higher gain settings. Which is useful because It's actually ridiculously thin sounding unless you run the preamp gain on a very high setting and use the volume control on the guitar to adjust the level of gain. The bass really opens up at about 7-8 on the gain knob. Below that, it just sounds kinda weak, even with the bass turned up to 10.

It's not my amp, I've been borrowing it on and off since february though. It's not really the kind of sound I go for, but I can't deny that it's perfect for my classic rock covers band - it allows me to go from slightly edgy clean tones to full on hi-gain leads and everywhere in between by just using the controls on the guitar - no need for pedals.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
I disagree on the MG Series... I've owned many different amps (not just Marshall) I've had tube amps and solid state amps and while tube amps definitely bring special elements to the table, there is something to be said for a good solid state amp as well.... I had little MG practice amp once. Of course by it's self it wasn't much but mic'd through a PA it sounded AWESOME!

I'd say that the poor quality in some MG's is not so much in the amp itself but in the low budget speakers that Marshall sometimes uses in their cheaper models. I would highly recommend an MG head... perhaps on a different cabinet however.

The lead guitar player in my band played an MG100 half stack years ago and wishes he still had it... He claims that he got a sustain from that amp that he has NEVER gotten from any other solid state.

Most "tube snobs" talk smack about solid state amps in order to justify spending three times more on a tube.... I will agree that tubes is nicer... but they aren't a THOUSAND dollars nicer! lol

I don't get where the MG series is overpriced either. They are pretty much in line with other solid states on the market.

If you can afford a good tube amp then go for it... but don't underestimate how a great a solid state amp can be.
Quote by jerald_smith
I disagree on the MG Series... I've owned many different amps (not just Marshall) I've had tube amps and solid state amps and while tube amps definitely bring special elements to the table, there is something to be said for a good solid state amp as well.... I had little MG practice amp once. Of course by it's self it wasn't much but mic'd through a PA it sounded AWESOME!

I'd say that the poor quality in some MG's is not so much in the amp itself but in the low budget speakers that Marshall sometimes uses in their cheaper models. I would highly recommend an MG head... perhaps on a different cabinet however.

The lead guitar player in my band played an MG100 half stack years ago and wishes he still had it... He claims that he got a sustain from that amp that he has NEVER gotten from any other solid state.

Most "tube snobs" talk smack about solid state amps in order to justify spending three times more on a tube.... I will agree that tubes is nicer... but they aren't a THOUSAND dollars nicer! lol

I don't get where the MG series is overpriced either. They are pretty much in line with other solid states on the market.

If you can afford a good tube amp then go for it... but don't underestimate how a great a solid state amp can be.

prepare for a shitstorm. ok you are entitled to your opinion. you'll forgive me if i ? your lead guitar players ears. ok he couldn't get good sustain from other crappy SS amps what does this prove exactly? sorry but amps like a Peavey Vypyr will mop up the flor with an MG for less money.
Quote by jerald_smith

Your definition of awesome is obviously different to mine

Quote by jerald_smith
I have heard many MG's through a 1960A and no, they still sound shit.

Quote by jerald_smith

It is as good as any other solid state amp is hardly a recomendation. I'm a snob because I value tone, have the money to spend on it and do? Seriously, just fuck off.

Quote by jerald_smith

Vypers, Valvetronix, Mustangs and any number of cheap, shitty SS amps are both better and cheaper.

Your poverty has nothing to do with the tone, cry all you like but a cheap, shitty SS amp is just a cheap shitty SS amp - even if its all you can afford. That's your problem, not ours. If I want to spend a couple of grand, I fucking well will and who are you to judge me on that?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lol cathbard I thought it was you that made the mg support post. I was thinking your trolling skills had achieved their final form.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jerald_smith

It's not "tube snobs" criticizing the MG, and the criticisms have nothing to do with the fact it's solid state, and everything to do with the fact it's a poor quality amp with brittle and sterile clean tones and harsh unmusical bees in a jam jar distortion. That is not what a good solid state amp sounds like.

Also, not all tube amps cost 3x as much as a Marshall MG, especially when you buy used. Last year I got a 1976 Fender Bassman 100 head for the same price as a brand new MG head

If I'd spent the same amount of money on an MG, I'd certainly be feeling the need to try to justify/validate the amount I had paid for it. I'd probably start by labeling people with better amps as "snobs"...
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Hello everyone,

I have a 1997 Marshall Bluesbreaker amp. It's not the 35th anniversary white edition. It's the 50 watt black version, and I'm having a bit of a hard time getting some information on my amp, because most of everything I find, is for the 35th anniversary white edition, not the black version. I bought it used and don't have any real documentation to go with it.

My question is if it is hand wired? The serial number is M-1997-40-0834-A. From my research of Marshall serial numbers is, that, it was built in England in 1997 around August or September I believe. On the amp, there are certification stickers with the name of the person who wired it, along with the name of the person who inspected it. To me this tells me it is in fact hand wired. Is this correct or not?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall Bluesbreaker 1962