Page 36 of 36
TomSawyerRush
55 IQ
I highly respect Steve Vai as an amazing guitarist. I can watch the videos of him with that three neck all day long.
H.I.Shredder808
388 IQ
Favorite artist by far. The most impressive thing about mr vai is his creativity. How someone can come up with "windows to the soul", "for the love of god", "touching tongues", or "warm regards" is beyond me. High creativity and professor quality musical knolwdge are keys.
Mastering music itself and having the ability to write for orchestras and all of its instruments is another reason also.
Technically, hes great.....but not the best. Legato, unique phrasing, fast multiple finger tapping, tremolo mastery, little nuances, odd arpeggios for sweeping, vibrato, arpeggios, and incredible use of a wah pedal are some of his strong points. He is shadowed in comparison to mr gilbert in alternate picking and string skipping though. Have you heard "the gargoyle or almost anything off of Fuzz Universe?
But artists that have their own style have no need for extreme proficiency in certain techniques like speed with alternate picking or speed in general.
Steve in my opinion, is the greatest guitarist/musician in the rock virtuoso class alive. Of course theres Becker, gilbert and petrucci, abasi etc, but he has all of the qualities that make a musician extraordinary. Plus I just like his music on many levels...as well as pauls.
LTD Deluxe H1001Fr STBC
Modded Fender Stratocaster HSS mexican
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Last edited by H.I.Shredder808 at May 26, 2012,
Zanon
Commander Fluffy.
701 IQ
So i got to see Vai when i was out in Orlando about a week ago, it was amazing. He played a bunch of new stuff and had this weird light up costume and the guitar from the cover over the Ultrazone for the title track, the mobile nutty drumkit from 'Where the wild things are' was back too. They played for about 2 and a half hours all together, it was an incredible show !
Baroque_and_Rol
UG's Giant Stepper
615 IQ
Just so everybody knows, I'm eventually going to end up working for Mr. Vai in some way, shape, or another, at some point in my life. Calling it, keep an eye out, it's happening.

Even if it's cleaning his toilets...
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
I'd clean Vai's toilets if it got me near his equipment when no one was looking...
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
RobGLA
87 IQ
Vai's show at Club Nokia in L.A. was fantastic!

Great show, he played for 2 1/2 hrs, performed a lot of new material from the excellent Story Of Light album and a nice mix of older tunes spanning Passion & Warfare onwards. Especially enjoyed 'Rescue Me Or Bury Me' from the Sex & Religion album, one of my favourite Vai albums.

The concert was shown on AxsTV which I think is the new name for HDNET?
Hopefully they will re-run it so fellow Vai fans can DVR.

Let me also say that I love many different styles of music and when I go to a Vai show I'm not looking for perfect Dumble tone or tasteful blues phrasing, I go to see Vai be Vai which he does brilliantly.

I really dig his compositions too and I think he deserves a lot of credit for his unique voice on the instrument and for maintaining a long productive career.
Guitar Instructor For TrueFire - Classroom 'Guitar Babylon'
Author of 'Jazz For The Blues Guitarist'
website
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
I saw Vai two days ago

Jeremy Colson is a seriously loud drummer. I don't think the snare was even being sent to the PA
M.V.
299 IQ
I saw Steve at the same concert. It was the most beautiful day of my life. I also got his beautiful pick.