Page 10 of 10
Originally posted by Logz
Im always using lights lol, ive got 8s on at the moment.

I love my strat bridge... i couldnt be doing with those fine tuners and other stuff

Strat bridges don't have fine tuners
lol hence why i said "I couldn't be doing with all those fine tuners" and whatnot
Been away, am back
lmao, imma gonna be installing some grover locking tuners with 18-1 ration tuning, for that added realiability
Been away, am back
^ lol indeed it does

Im thinkin bout buyin that guitar neck with the LED's in it....its tempting.
Been away, am back
is this 2 steps down or what. i know the letters but i need to know how man steps down to get it right.

C#-G#-E-B-F#-C#
i am rick james....almost
C# -- Down 1 and half steps
G# -- Down 1 and half steps
E -- Up a whole step
B -- Up 2 whole steps
F# -- Down 2 and half steps
C# -- Down 1 and half steps

I can explain how to tune to that as well if you want.
Been away, am back
Originally posted by YlwThunder87
To go to standard from drop C you just match your 5th fret low E to your open A.

To tune B F# B E G# c#:
Match 11th fret E to your open 440hz A
Tune your 4th string to match the 2nd fret open 440hz A
Tune your 3rd string to match 7th fret 440hz A
Tune your 2nd string to match 11th fret 440hz A
Tune your 1st string to match 16th fret 440hz A
Then match the 7th Fret 6th string to your open 5th string

i'm trying to play a Slipknot song that calls for drop B tuning "(low to high) B,F#,B,E,G#,C#". i found the above explaination earlier in the thread but i don't understand how to use it (440hz A?). if anyone can explain it and put up with a lot of stupid questions, please e-mail me or something
Z: destroy my bass. i dont care
L: who are you and what have you done with Z?
Z: i've slit his throat and drank his blood and now im drinking his mountain dew

Play the 2nd fret A string, and the Low E string open. Match the Low E string to sound like the 2nd fret A string.

Play the 4th Fret D string, and the A string open. Match the A string to sound like the 4th fret D string.

Play the 5th Fret A string and the D string open. Match the D string to sound like the 5th fret A string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the G string open. Match the G string to sound like the 5th fret B string.

Play the 4th fret High E string and the B string open. Match teh B string to sound like the 4th fret B High E string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Match the High E string to sound like the 5th fret of the B string.

The person who wrote it with 440hz etc is using an electric tuner. Dont bother with that way if you dont understand it.
Been away, am back
1) Play the 4th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 4th fret A string.

2) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the 5th fret A string to match the D string open.

3) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune teh G string to match the 5th fret D string.

4) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B String to match the 4th fret G string.

5) Play the 5th fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E to match the 5th fret B string.

6) Play the 12th fret Low E string and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E to match the D string open.
Been away, am back
I tuned my guitar to G A B D E G

(Eu3 As Bd3 Gd5 Bd7 Ed9 )

The E and G strings sound very wobbly because they are down so low. Anyway to stop this? I need them this low for 'Teenage Riot'- Sonic Youth.
I think theres only two ways to stop them being so loose, the first is getting alot thicker strings. like 14 or higher if you can get them, and the other is getting a longer neck.

you could also palm mute them a little, but that seems a little impractical.
Been away, am back
Im trying tune down half a step and im not to sure how... I found this and dont quite understand it... If some one could tell me what to do in a simpler form I would love you forever!

Tuning down your guitar means to tune each string down to a different pitch. When you tune down a half step, you tune each sting one half step lower than the standard tuning (A half step is the same as 1 fret). This means going from
E A D G B e to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb ('b' means 'flat', which means a half step lower than usual).

This sounds easy but without a chromatic tuner it can be difficult. Here is a technique I use to tune down a half step...

· Fret the 1st fret of your low E String. Tune this note to an E.
· Fret the 1st fret of your A String. Tune this note to an A.
· Fret the 1st fret of your D String. Tune this note to a D.
· Fret the 1st fret of your G String. Tune this note to a G.
· Fret the 1st fret of your B String. Tune this note to a B.
· Fret the 1st fret of your high E String. Tune this note to an E.

Once you have done this, your open strings will sound the notes Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, and eb and you are now tuned down a half step! This is particularly useful if as a vocalist, you struggle to sing in the key of E. If it is easier for you to sing in the key of Eb, I would definitely reccommend this.
Do you have a digital tuner? If you have, then just fret the first fret on every string and tune your guitar like you would normally having in mind that you keep your finger in the first fret. If you have a chromatic tuner just tune to the Eb tuning and if you have a digital/analog tuner check if theres a sign which looks like 'b' and press that once and just tune your guitar.
I think theres only two ways to stop them being so loose, the first is getting alot thicker strings. like 14 or higher if you can get them, and the other is getting a longer neck.

you could also palm mute them a little, but that seems a little impractical.

Thanks, Logz, but I decided to create my own version of the song, in standard tuning. I might try getting some different strings for it though, after all it is my 'expiriment guitar'.
1) Play the 4th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 4th fret Low E string.

2) Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.

3) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

4) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

5) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

6) Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E to match the 5th fret B string.
Been away, am back
Originally posted by DorkusMalorkus
Thanks, Logz, but I decided to create my own version of the song, in standard tuning. I might try getting some different strings for it though, after all it is my 'expiriment guitar'.

ok then! Good luck with your song!
Been away, am back
Im trying to tune my new guitar, it has a floyd rose bridge, with the clamps at the top, i tune it, tighten the clamps and it goes out of tune again.

will it sort itself out when the strings stretch, or am i oding it wrong?

also the tremolo lever socket is wobbly, how can i tighten it?
if there new strings as well, you will need to slacken the strings, then pull them at teh pickups while placing your other hand at different points on the fretboard. In other words, just pull your strings. Then retune it to standard, tighten the nut, then see if it stays in tune.

As for the bridge, is it at an angle to the body?
Been away, am back
no, its fine, apartfrom the strings (which are the ones from the factory) go out of tune quickly
Originally posted by Ape Of Death
no, its fine, apartfrom the strings (which are the ones from the factory) go out of tune quickly

Humm, try what i said previously and see if that helps. It could be you need to tighten the screws in the cavity at the back.

How do I get this tuning? [A-E-A-D-Gb-B] Greatly appreciated thanks.

1) Play the A string open and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the A string open.

2) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the 5th fret A string to match the D string open.

3) Play the 12th fret Low E string and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E string to match the D string open.

4) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

5) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

6) Play the 5th fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E to match the 5th fret B string.
Been away, am back
Last edited by Logz at Jul 16, 2005,
Ok i don't understand this drop D tuning, do you just drop the one string down or do you drop all, a small detailed description as to how to do this would be much appreciated
Remember when i used to dance.....Man all i wanna do is dance.
well, basically, with drop D, you only downtune the Low E strnig to a D.

If you downtune the Low E to a C (two whole steps down from E), you have to downtune the rest of the strings down 1 whole step.

If you downtune the Low E to a B, (downtuning two and a half steps), you have to downtune the rest of the strings but one and a half steps.

Does that help?

EDIT:

How ever many steps you down tune the Low E, you take one step of that and thats how many steps you downtune the rest. So the Low E is always one step lower than the rest of the strings
Been away, am back
So with a drop D i just downtune the low E to a D and leave the rest of the strings?
Thanks, it sounded too simple to be right, guess it wasn't
Lol, its the other drop tunings you gotta be careful about, IE Drop B
Been away, am back