Page 14 of 14
What are you into?

Short stories of Anton Chekhov and J.L Borges.
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
Journey To The End Of The Night by Louis Ferdinand Celine
Any of Charles Bukowski's work, short stories novels poetry.
Poetry of Cesar Vallejo
Poetry of Pablo Neruda
Poetry of Arthur Rimbaud
Poetry of Sylvia Plath
Poetry of Anne Sexton
Poetry of Robinson Jeffers
On The Genealogy of Morals by Frederich Nietzsche
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Ask The Dust by John Fante
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson
Hollywood by Charles Bukowski
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley
U.S.A by John Dos Passos
For Whom The Bells Toll by Ernest Hemingway
Collected Stories of Paul Bowles
Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

If You can't find something out of that list you shouldn't read.
Quote by JonAAAthunder
In the Court of the Crimson King is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I've heard their other stuff is good too. What other albums by them would you guys recommend?

Sorry, I'm kinda late to this, but all their material through the 70's is essential. After In the Court I would agree you should listen to Red, then Lark Tongues in Aspic, then Starless and Bible Black, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and Islands in any order. I believe they are all on youtube right now, and they are all remastered for sale on Amazon.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I find Islands to be quite underrated. Sure there are a few duds on there but Formentera Lady and the title track are fantastic.
Trey Gunn and I played together in the San Antonio scene in the 80's. He played on a song I wrote and released called "Carving Knife" and recorded by the Vamps. Great guy, very intelligent , down to earth, and a musical theory icon.
My girlfriend got me Red for christmas, because I told her I was getting into prog. I'm getting a few albums by different bands in about a week. What would be the best album by King Crimson. I know In the court of is their most famous, but are there any hidden gems I should be looking for?
Quote by beer bear
My girlfriend got me Red for christmas, because I told her I was getting into prog. I'm getting a few albums by different bands in about a week. What would be the best album by King Crimson. I know In the court of is their most famous, but are there any hidden gems I should be looking for?

Red is a good one to start with. My favorite is Lizard atm
I'd say the "hidden gem" would be Starless and Bible Black.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
I'd say the "hidden gem" would be Starless and Bible Black.

Definitely this. Sometimes I feel it's missing something really affecting (eg. Starless or Epitaph) but it's got the perfect mix of jams and songs, not to mention fantastic lyrics and some of John Wetton's best bass work.
Where the hell do I legally buy music from fripp and co? I boyght a second hand Crimson conpilation vinyl the other day even though it had a scratch just because it's the only KC record I've ever came across.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Nevermind I jus' found the vinyl reissues for Larks, Red and In The Wake on their site. I'm gonna preorder Larks and get one other right now. Which do I do!? Red or Wake? i'll probs grt both at some point anyway
Quote by ErikLensherr

If you don't have Red, get it!
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
I don't have it on vinyl. I do have it dl'd and love it to bits. I'll see. Pretty gutted I missed out on the ITCOTCK vinyl reissue.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
Nevermind I jus' found the vinyl reissues for Larks, Red and In The Wake on their site. I'm gonna preorder Larks and get one other right now. Which do I do!? Red or Wake? i'll probs grt both at some point anyway

I don't really care for In the Wake all that much. Which is weird because I love Greg Lake.

Cool to see some activity in this thread. I've found King Crimson records in record stores here. This is a pretty big music city though
It felt like a miracle to find just a KC compilation (the Young Persons Guide one). They're probably my fave prog band although I see them as something more than typical prog, none of those lame cheesy keyboard solos.

I've not heard every KC album but I'm yet to hear a bad one. I've heard ITCOTCK, ITWOP, Larks', Red. Discipline and The Power to Believe (which is awesome, really need to look into more of the recent stuff).
Quote by ErikLensherr

i for the life of me can't get into red. i only own two king crimson albums, itcotck and red, and i absolutely love every second of their debut but for some reason i don't get what the big deal is about red.

i really want to like this band, halp :/
Quote by whywefight
i for the life of me can't get into red. i only own two king crimson albums, itcotck and red, and i absolutely love every second of their debut but for some reason i don't get what the big deal is about red.

i really want to like this band, halp :/

In the Court is easily their most widely appreciated album. The rest of it requires a certain taste.

You don't like one more red nightmare?! That songs my favorite on Red
I don't listen to Red that much. Never liked the title track, Fallen Angel is ok..One More Red Nightmare is a fun song. Starless is a masterpiece. Lizard is probably my favorite album at the moment
Last edited by hamett91 at Oct 9, 2013,
Red's awesome. The weakest track is probs Red though.

My Larks' vinyl has been dispatched woop
Quote by ErikLensherr

Red is an absolute masterpiece. Heavy as shit, awesome title track, and Starless is just flawless.

I'm sure I've said this before, but with KC it's all about context. Back in the 60s when they first came out, literally nothing was as heavy as Schizoid Man. People like to credit Sabbath for inventing metal, but (and I say this as a Sabbath fan) their early stuff was essentially downtuned blues with Hammer Horror lyrics. Schizoid Man set the true metal template by being completely divorced from blues, having proto-Thrash rhythms, and lyrics about children bleeding, barbed wire and napalm. War Pigs doesn't have shit on that. Then you have that middle section where they essentially laid out the template for Drum And Bass decades before Drum And Bass was a thing. I don't think any one song has ever been so forward thinking or had the blueprints for so many other genres.

Fast forward to Red, and once again, the band shows how ahead of the curve they are. It's easy now post Grunge/Industrial to overlook the record, but back in the early 70s, Red was about as heavy as it got. No other record I can think of from that time period sounds as harsh, abrasive and dark as the opening track. I know it was one of Kurt Cobain's favourite records, and I'm pretty sure it had a key influence on Industrial music as well.

Also, Radiohead totally nicked the middle bit of the track Red for the opening of OK Computer.

For me though, it's all about 80s KC. Discipline for me is the highlight of their catalogue. It's got all the intricate music theory bollocks of 70s Prog, but with none of the fat. It's got songs in 5/4 and 7/8 you can dance to. It's got lyrics about post-modernism and existentialism rather than fire witches and moon children. And Tool owe pretty much their entire success to that album. You can actually hear them stick the riff from Frame By Frame into their cover of No Quarter on Salival. Even Rage owe something to that album. Adrian Belew was out Morelloing Morello before Morello was even doing his thing.

Any other fans of 80s Crim? Beat and TOAPP are both also magnificent albums, and I really think that trio of albums are the best 80s prog has to offer. The other prog bands all went to shite, but KC are the only ones who I think genuinely got better going into the Eighties.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Yeah man 80s Crimson still got it. My Larks' Tongues in Aspic sounds so ****ing great and crunchy.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Great band and their lyrics are still relevant to-day, "the fate of all mankind is in the hands of fools."
Last edited by Cing Krimson at May 10, 2014,