Page 256 of 256
Quote by alexanderjarvis
Thanks, so I have played around and gotten the perfect set up for myself. Now I am trying to set the intonation, and its coming in a bit sharp for almost every string. Seems like no matter how much I tighten the screw, the intonation is not really changing. How close should it be?

The closer, the better.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Hi, thanks for this thread. I'm looking to set up my guitar(s) for the first time but I have a few worries.

I've always tuned my guitars using the 5th fret method, after getting the low E in tune with a pitch pipe, piano, or most often, a recorded low E. Occasionally the chords would sound a little off, sometimes not, but the guitar was never unplayable.

I recently bought an electric clip-on headstock tuner. I tune each string chromatically at 440hz, and the chords always sound good when I tune this way.

However, my problem is that when I get the strings in tune via the tuner, and then do a quick recheck using the 5th fret method, the 5th fret method is always out of tune. When I tune the strings with the 5th fret method and then go back to the tuner, the tuner shows the strings out of tune. Sometimes it is different combinations with the 5th fret method, i.e., it's never just the low E and A that don't match up. Somedays they'll be good, and it will be the A and D that don't match up, etc.

So, what's the problem, if the electric tuner can get my guitar in tune (meaning the intonation is okay) but the 5th fret method is always off (meaning the intonation is not okay). Is the 5th fret method not really that accurate, and just used as a quick check?

I should note that on the second guitar, the 5th fret method does work after tuning with the electric tuner except for the B and high E, which never match up perfectly using the 5th fret method after tuning with the electric tuner. So I'm thinking the intonation is (more) off on the first guitar.

I would like to hear some feedback before I start messing with the bridge saddle lengths and really screw up the intonation. Please feel free to ask questions if something is unclear with my problem. The strings on both guitars need to be changed, and neither have been set up recently, and I would like to do a set up (if necessary) when I do the string changes.

Thanks!
I read a lot about set-up, now, I have this old guitar i messed up long time ago when I had no clue about set-up and how to do it right, I want to try get it up and running again, what would be the direction I need to go? as in, what to do first?
I assume its adjusting the neck with the trust rod first and then moving on to action & intonation. right?
T00DEEPBLUE Its an Ibanez GAX30.
My Gear

PRS SE Custom 24 2016
Ibanez GAX30
Ibanez Tune Blaster X 30R
M-Audio Fast Track USB
Boss Metal Zone
Hi there,

I've recently started playing our electric guitar, after it stayed unused for about 7 years. We bought it for my husband, back then, but he hardly ever picked it up. So I decided to learn myself how to play. No musical background, not much time (about 30 minutes, 3 of 4 times a week), so (very) slow but sure... I hope.

Anyway, we have a Squire Strat and besides tuning it everytime before I start playing, nothing's ever done with it. Never cleaned it, never got new strings, nothing at all. The only good thing (I imagine) is that we've always kept it (and still do) in the gigbag that came with it.

I've got three questions that I feel need to be answered to impove my guitar playing experience:

1. I'm still hanging around the challenge of changing the first three chords I've learned from the Fender DVD: the E, A and D 2-tone power chords. And I hear a buzzing or singing of the string, especially at the A string. In the beginning I didn't notice it, or it didn't occure, not sure. And by now it's getting on my nerves everytime I hear it. I've read several articles, including the starting topics here, but I feel uncomfortable about what to do (except visiting the local shop), since I'm not really sure what causes the buzzing and I'm not skilled enough to know if there are more problems with buzzing/singing strings/frets.

2. As we've never done anything with our guitar, I wondered if I might be a good idea to change the strings. Today I noticed some colouring on the G sting, which I could remove with my fingers. I can't find any strange colours on the other strings, but it's hard to see on the lower three strings. Might it be possible that changing the strings also reduces the buzzing sound? Even though hardly used, they're at least 7 years old and have been on the guitar all that time... If it's not necessary at this moment, how do I know when to change the strings?

3. I've got troubles finding the 1st - 3rd strings during strumming. Those strings are thinner than the lower three, so they kind of "dissappear" from sight. And hand... Besides that, I've noticed that the bridge is higher on the lower strings, which makes the difference even bigger. I'm wondering if it would be easier for me to strum the three higher strings (especially any combination that contains both the 3rd and the 4th string, which is by far the hardest) if they were more "in-line" at bridge level, with the lower three. If so, do I need to lower the bridge of the lower strings, or higher the bridge of the higher strings? And do I need to adjust anything else if I start to adjust the bridge?

A lot of questions, I know, I'm sorry.
It would be great if anyone would be able to answer them for me in as easiest words you can think of. English is not my native language and even though I'm learning, a lot of guitar stuff you all talk about, is still abracadabra for me!

Thank you so much,

Maritvs
So, no opinions / advice for my post, even if it's just to clarify the 5th fret tuning method should work with correct intonation?