Page 255 of 255
Looks like the correct place to ask, I've got a Dean ZX guitar and it will just not intonation.

The guitar needed a new nut so I got a few different ones from Graph Tek, Black TUSQ 6060 and 6010.

The 6060 one gave me sitar sound on high E and when amplified that string was dead and I tried raising the nut and other various things but I wasn't able to fix it.

The 6010 has slightly wide E-E spacing, no sitar/dead strings but no matter what I do the strings are all quite sharp at the 12th fret, especially G string. Playing a chord with a open G string sounds absolutely horrible.

I've adjusted the truss bar to the point where the neck has a slight upward bow and the bridge is currently in position for semi-high action, more than I'd like but I've tried all sorts of positions with no success.

New strings each time.... 9-11-16-24-32-42

Been at this for about 2 weeks an not really sure how to fix this problem, any help would be much appreciated.
Quick question, so on my Epiphone Brent Hinds Flying V the neck humbucker is kinda loose and rattles against the body, Basically what I did to kind of fix it is put a foam earplug inside the guitar to keep the pick-up from touching the body. I suspect the springs are kinda weak/short so I went to StewMac but don't know what height of spring to order do I want the 13/16" or the 1/5-8" inch length springs?
anthonymarisc The longer the spring is, the more load you're going to be putting it under when you set the pickup height. Given that you think the existing springs aren't securing the pickups to the rings properly because they're not strong enough, then buy the longer springs and see if that helps.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE

I wasn't exactly good at Math back in school lmao, so I want the 13/16"?
Another quick question, I'm restringing my Flying V and the frets are a little discolored and dull looking and I am planning on trying to polish them. I weary of Steel Wool and thought maybe NevRDull would be good choice but I'm reading mixed opinions online. Of course I am planning on masking off the board with some low tack tape.
Quote by anthonymarisc
T00DEEPBLUE

I wasn't exactly good at Math back in school lmao, so I want the 13/16"?

Springs are cheap. Just buy a bunch of them and see which one fits the best.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Another quick question, I'm restringing my Flying V and the frets are a little discolored and dull looking and I am planning on trying to polish them. I weary of Steel Wool and thought maybe NevRDull would be good choice but I'm reading mixed opinions online. Of course I am planning on masking off the board with some low tack tape.

Nevr dull is fine. It's essentially a wool-like material saturated in brasso. 1500 grit sandpaper will do fine too.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Nevr dull is fine. It's essentially a wool-like material saturated in brasso. 1500 grit sandpaper will do fine too.

Cool, so I masked off the board and polished up the frets, you wouldn't believe how much black gunk came off those frets they're super shiny now but, I've created a really tiny problem. I used a razor blade to score the tape to reveal the frets for polishing and in doing so I created very subtle hairline scratches in the fretboard. They're not really noticeable but it's really bugging me. Am I able to use something like a fine grit of polishing paper from stewmac or something to buff out the scratches? Next time I'm probably just lay the tape parallel to the frets instead of cutting it.

I didn't use tons of pressure with the razor blade thank goodness but these scratches are really gonna bug me.
Why didn't you just cut the tape to width with scissors before sticking it on the guitar?

Putting tape on the fretboard wasn't really necessary anyway.

You're not going to be able to sand the scratches out easily.
Quote by Axelfox
T00DEEPBLUE Any ideas or should I just live with it? It's really not that bad.
anthonymariscLive with it and learn from your mistakes. You can try and sand them out but it'll be a bitch to get them out since the scratches are right adjacent to the frets.
Quote by Axelfox
I'm trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my SG right now. I got some new strings a couple of weeks ago, and even after breaking them in, my intonation and stuff is all whacked out on the G string. It's always been a tad bit sharp (the tunomatic is as far back as it goes), and it hasn't given me much trouble. Well when I got the new strings and broke them in, now my G string's intonation is crazy.

I always stick to Hybrid Slinky's, so I didn't change what type of strings I use. I tried messing with my truss rod a bit, because it's helped me in the past, and it doesn't seem like it does much. I either can get a Csus chord to sound good and a D chord is out of tune, or vice versa. I also tried playing with the action, as the truss rod adjustments get me fret buzz here and there. Those chords sound fine, but then I also have fret buzz, so I try raising or lowering the action, and then my intonation is messed up again.

I've been trying to figure this out for the past 3 days, and it's getting on my nerves.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
How to string a guitar..... personally on a string through body I just do a string at a time and tone as I go usually, same thing with Floyd rose.... except I'll make sure the fine tuners are in a position that I won't run out of threads on the fine tuners for minor tuning tweaks
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my SG right now. I got some new strings a couple of weeks ago, and even after breaking them in, my intonation and stuff is all whacked out on the G string. It's always been a tad bit sharp (the tunomatic is as far back as it goes), and it hasn't given me much trouble. Well when I got the new strings and broke them in, now my G string's intonation is crazy.

I always stick to Hybrid Slinky's, so I didn't change what type of strings I use. I tried messing with my truss rod a bit, because it's helped me in the past, and it doesn't seem like it does much. I either can get a Csus chord to sound good and a D chord is out of tune, or vice versa. I also tried playing with the action, as the truss rod adjustments get me fret buzz here and there. Those chords sound fine, but then I also have fret buzz, so I try raising or lowering the action, and then my intonation is messed up again.

I've been trying to figure this out for the past 3 days, and it's getting on my nerves.

Hi Horsedick. <3

If the action is as low as it'll go without any significant fret buzz for the way you play, the neck relief is correct and you still cannot get the bridge to intonate, then you might need to resort to buying a new bridge that has a greater intonation range. If all the saddles are generally leaning towards the tailpiece end of their range, then that strongly indicates that the bridge was installed by Gibson a bit too far forwards at the factory. Which sucks.

But you can get replacement Nashville-style bridges with a longer intonation range than the stock ABR-1 that'll fit Gibson posts.

What type of bridge is currently on the guitar? Can you send pics? IIRC it's easy to tell Nashville from ABR-1 because the Nashville style don't have a retainer wire.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Hi Horsedick. <3

If the action is as low as it'll go without any significant fret buzz for the way you play, the neck relief is correct and you still cannot get the bridge to intonate, then you might need to resort to buying a new bridge that has a greater intonation range. If all the saddles are generally leaning towards the tailpiece end of their range, then that strongly indicates that the bridge was installed by Gibson a bit too far forwards at the factory. Which sucks.

But you can get replacement Nashville-style bridges with a longer intonation range than the stock ABR-1 that'll fit Gibson posts.

What type of bridge is currently on the guitar? Can you send pics? IIRC it's easy to tell Nashville from ABR-1 because the Nashville style don't have a retainer wire.

I actually have an Epiphone, so would those bridges still fit?

Here's an image of the stock bridge:

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I actually have an Epiphone, so would those bridges still fit?

Here's an image of the stock bridge:

It's actually a good thing it's an Epiphone. I think all modern Gibsons use the Nashville style bridge stock, so if you were to still have intonation problems on a guitar with that kind of bridge, finding one with an even longer intonation range will cause a headache.

All Epiphones use the ABR-1 style bridge w/ the retainer wire. So a replacement Nashville-style bridge may very well fix your problem.

What you need to bear in mind is that while the location of the studs between the Gibson and Epiphone bridges look very similar, they are not exactly the same. The reason being that Gibson, being 'Murica fuck yeah', use imperial measurements. Epiphones use metric. Also the studs on the Gibson style TOM bridges use smaller diameter posts without a slot cut into them like the Epiphones have. So if you want to buy a new bridge, be sure to search for Nashville bridges that'll specifically fit Epiphone guitars. There's lots of companies that'll sell you such a thing quite cheaply if you shop around.

I hope this helps.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's actually a good thing it's an Epiphone. I think all modern Gibsons use the Nashville style bridge stock, so if you were to still have intonation problems on a guitar with that kind of bridge, finding one with an even longer intonation range will cause a headache.

All Epiphones use the ABR-1 style bridge w/ the retainer wire. So a replacement Nashville-style bridge may very well fix your problem.

What you need to bear in mind is that while the location of the studs between the Gibson and Epiphone bridges look very similar, they are not exactly the same. The reason being that Gibson, being 'Murica fuck yeah', use imperial measurements. Epiphones use metric. Also the studs on the Gibson style TOM bridges use smaller diameter posts without a slot cut into them like the Epiphones have. So if you want to buy a new bridge, be sure to search for Nashville bridges that'll specifically fit Epiphone guitars. There's lots of companies that'll sell you such a thing quite cheaply if you shop around.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, I ordered a Gohtoh bridge after seeing them being popular for replacing stock Epi bridges.

Also in regards to the US using the Imperial System, after living in the U.K. for awhile, I do find it funny seeing Brits complain about Murica using it. Even though you guys are kind of wishy washy with it. I thought it was weird still seeing miles for roads, and truck heights being measured in inches/feet. Oh and beer still being in pints.

Still <3 you Mac
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Nov 7, 2016,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Thanks, I ordered a Gohtoh bridge after seeing them being popular for replacing stock Epi bridges.

Also in regards to criticizing the US using the Imperial System, after living in the U.K. for awhile, I do find it funny seeing Brits complain about Murica using it. Even though you guys are kind of wishy washy with it. I thought it was weird still seeing miles for roads, and truck heights being measured in inches/feet. Oh and beer still being in pints.

Still <3 you Mac

Yeah the UK only started using the metric system as the standard by the mid-60's. So there still exist some relics of the imperial system around in everyday life. They should really be abolished.

Good to know you bought a replacement. The Gotoh bridges are nice indeed. Though it might come supplied unslotted so you may need to cut the slots yourself.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yeah the UK only started using the metric system as the standard by the mid-60's. So there still exist some relics of the imperial system around in everyday life. They should really be abolished.

Good to know you bought a replacement. The Gotoh bridges are nice indeed. Though it might come supplied unslotted so you may need to cut the slots yourself.

Well I'll keep that in mind for the slots.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
What would you say is the most common problem? I never seem to get it quite right...