Page 64 of 64
The thing were you put the bar on is broken on mine, I not sure why. I've reattached it several time, adjusted it, etc. but it comes of after a couple f days of use which is really annoying so unless I find another solution I want to buy a new one. Also, this is a cheap Licensed Floyd so the upgrade to an original may be worth it
when/how do i know if i need new springs because currently i have 3 in the /|\ position with the claw as far in as possible with the bridge still being pulled up a little.

also, when restringing/tuning, do i remove the block from the cavity after restringing? or after tuning?
I have a problem with an Edge Zero II bridge.

While looking at adjusting the action during a string change, I noticed one of the knife edges had slipped off the post completely and was resting lower down the post. I guess it had been doing this for a while (the tremolo isn't used though) so I removed the springs and the bridge to be able to judge any damage on the post or knife edge, and while it had removed the finish from the post, it didn't look too bad.

I re-installed the bridge, after setting the action on the posts, and tuned the guitar up with the trem blocked. When I removed the block, the bridge was sitting very high and I started to add spring tension when I suddenly ran out of adjustment. The problem is that the Edge Zero II doesn't have the usual FR springs and claw that screw right into the wood, but a wheel that you turn to adjust tension and no room to add more springs.

What to do? The guitar is fully playable now, with the blocked bridge, but I'm a bit lost about how I would get enough spring tension now. I use 9-42 strings, so I haven't changed the gauge and I can't understand why this happened.

I'm new to setting up floating trems though, so any advice appreciated. (I may have overlooked something completely obvious.)

Thanks in advance.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I think setting up a Floyd Rose is very difficult if the person don't know the proper way. So this will help who need a guide for setting up a Floyd Rose.
I'm having trouble setting up my FR guitar, I blocked the Floyd because the springs are worn out and because the Fr is a cheapie. But I can't get this sucker set up! Neck relief is good, but on the A and D strings, I have dead notes on frets 15-22 (approx). My Bass E string is too high and the next two are too low. G is little buzzy but manageable, B and E are ok. So whats up? I heard this problem can be related to the nut not being conformed to the radius, and this guitar has a compound radius(12-16 I think). Every note below the 15 fret is perfect on all strings.

Thanks!
I managed to finally get some new strings on my Ibanez. I tried 9's but didn't like how they felt, so i put in 10's like i use in my other guitars. It took a while to adjust the bridge properly, but i got it in tune and the bridge is level. The only issue i'm having is fret buzz on the first 3 frets on all strings. Not sure if it needs fret work or a truss rod adjustment.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Silent Jay at Dec 16, 2014,
Tremolo Swap -
  • Ibanez Edge III route accepts----------------------- Edge Pro, Original Floyd Rose, Gotoh LFR
  • Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro Edge route accepts------- Lo Pro Edge, Edge Pro, Original Floyd Rose
  • Ibanez Edge Pro/Edge Pro II route accepts--- Original Floyd Rose
  • Original Floyd Rose route accepts---------------- Edge, Lo Pro Edge, Gotoh LFR

keep in mind that these are immediate drop in. Changing the studs might temper the fitting minutely and requires some drilling or routing.

Headstock Area -
Make sure the nuts are aligned properly and that you set the retainer bar at proper level so that when you lock the nuts, it wont go out of tune so violently. You just need to tighten the retainer bar till the string is lower than the nut level.

Tremolo Arm for Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro Edge/Edge Zero/ZR//ZR-II/SynchroniZR -
To prevent the plastic bushings from damaged, make sure you insert the arm properly.

Miscellaneous -
Ibanez ZR Tremolo - Engaging the ZERO Point System for ZR
Ibanez ZR Tremolo - Removing the ZERO Point System For Full Floating Mode
Ibanez ZPS3 - Engaging the ZERO Point System for Edge Zero
Ibanez Edge-FX/Edge-III-FX Bridge Angle
Kahler 2200-2300 "Pro" Setup Page

Helpful References & Videos -
Very Helpful Restringing/Setup Video
Floyd Rose Official Site
Restringing Video
Ibanez Rules Setup Page
Jemsite Setup Page
Youtube Setup References
Kahler "Pro" Setup References
Kahler Traditional-Vintage-Modern Instruction Manual

Things to Keep in Mind -

• Don't unleash the fury by swinging your guitar like Yngwie unless you have sufficient practice or professional training, you might end up hurting yourself.
  • Floyd Rose system is very dangerous, keep your distance.
  • Stringing ball-end first at the tuning posts prevents you from accidentally puncturing major arteries.
  • Don't use glass cleaners to clean your guitar.
  • Keep away from extreme temperature

______________________________________madpickin03®________________________________________

~credits to members of jemsite.com, pics vary either from jemsite.com or from my own, special thanks to nuno and Rich~

STANDARD BRIDGE/SETUP QUESTION - GOES HERE

^ The big problem is that someone posts a sticky and then maybe goes AWOL for a while (and only mods can edit other people's posts). In some of the other stickies, they're closed to prevent them from being spammed up- and again only mods can edit posts in closed threads (doesn't affect this one but affects some of the stickies I helped to write).

But yeah ideally they'd be kept up to date. Big problem is it's a massive job.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Hey, I have a question about my whammy bar. I'm pretty new at Floyd Rose and all that so I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but I recently changed string gauge from 09-42 to 10-52 so I could down-tune.

Everything works fine and it sounds great but my whammy bar is really hard to use. I didn't change any springs while restringing and I've got three on there right now, so I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to make it easier?
Hey everyone! I have a quick question:

So, I'm trying to get my Floyd Rose bridge parallel with the body, but to measure the level of the bridge, should I look at the fine tuners or the part where the brand of the Floyd Rose is written?

You see, if the part where the brand is written is in parallel with the body, the fine tuners tilt slightly up, but if the fine tuners are in parallel with the body, the part where the brand is written is sinking a bit down.

I assume that I should be looking at the part where the brand is written, but I want to be sure.
You want the base plate parallel with the face of the guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You want the base plate parallel with the face of the guitar.

Thanks man!
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
One more question. The bridge is now parallel to the body, but the action is too low even for my taste and besides, when I pull up, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th hit the frets. That is because the action is too low right? I have no fret buzz at all, so the truss rod is fine, I guess I just have to adjust the action at the bridge.

I read that to adjust the action you should loosen the strings first in order to not to tear down the knife edges. Can I just hold a dive bomb to release string tension and adjust the action or do I have to release string tension at the machine heads?

I know how to tune a floyd, in fact it is tuned right now, but if the dive bomb trick works, then I don't have to go through the tuning process again.

As a matter of fact, it is a Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo. The guitar just arrived today and needed a full bridge set up out of the box.
Last edited by DanyFS at Apr 7, 2015,
What about whatever the hell you call the Floyd Rose Tremolo that's on an Ibanez RG220B?!? it doesn't lock at the bridge. the strings feed in through a shaped tube that's where the allen screws you normally WOULD tighten to lock the strings in on a standard floyd rose tremolo....
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Hi, this is my first post here but I am a long time lurker.

I am having trouble restringing my guitar with 10s on a floating bridge Floyd rose special.

The low E string will simply refuse to be 'clamped' into place in the saddle. What is happening is the cube inside the saddle that clamps the string into place is not moving across the opening where the string sits. The bolt that moves this cube ends up just turning on the spot without pushing it any further.

I do not have this issue with the other 5 strings and suspected something was wrong with the bolt or the saddle, but when the string is not in their it fully 'clamps' just fine, moving across the entire opening.

Apologies if I am not clear, but am hoping someone might be able to suggest a way around this
Hi. I have an Ibanez rg1570 and the saddle on the D string will not move even when I remove the mounting screw all the way...any help?
I bought a generator . I have some help about user guide . I need practically information that's why I am posting here . my model is western house 7500 .if you have any one here please help me . I don't wanna disturbing you but acyually I need help to use it .e help me . I don't wanna disturbing you but acyually I need help to use it .
Hey, I have an Ibanez RG1570Z, which the Edge Zero trem. It's been around two years with this guitar, and up until recently, it played like a dream. I prefer Standard-low action, .09-.42 string guage. Whenever I had to restring, I gave it to someone from a music store nearby (the only one in town) to do so. And if ever the action seemed to get bad and way too high, he fixed it for me by tightening the action studs at the bridge. Little did I know he was doing it wrong.

After playing for a couple of days, the action went way too low with a lot of string buzz and choking. SO I went over to the store once again and he told me it would have something to do with the truss rod. So he adjusted my neck, but the action got way too high and uncomfortable for me. So he worked with the action studs again and set it up for me.

When I came home and read about it, it turns out you have to use a smaller allen wrench and first loosen the stud locks inside the bolts prior to setting up your action. Well I guess the guitar tech from the store didn't do that and now when I tried it myself I can't do it. It's like the stud locks are stuck. The guitar is playing alright but it gets out of tune really fast now. And the action could still be lowered down (which would my more comfortable to me) but now I just don't know what to do. It turns out the guy doesn't know jack***t about edge trems.

Also, the tremolo's way too tight and rigid now, it's like I can't even use it.

What should I do in order to get the inner stud locks back to how they should be and to loosen the trem so that it can be used? And also, there's still some chokes that I'm experiencing on the 17th/18th frets, whenever I bend. Help me out anyone?
Hey! I've just purchased a new guitar with FR special. I've never had guitar with FR before. I want to install a 11 string gauge with standard tuning, but my bridge is just never parallel no matter how I set the springs. It works with lower tunings, but I want standard. What should i do to solve this problem?
I have a floyd rose trem. It's almost perfect. The 22 fret dies out when I bend up. It's subtle, but's it's there. The previous owner put 10's gauge (my personal fav's) I heard that floyds operate better using 9's could this help? Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.
Quote by jammonster
I have a floyd rose trem. It's almost perfect. The 22 fret dies out when I bend up. It's subtle, but's it's there. The previous owner put 10's gauge (my personal fav's) I heard that floyds operate better using 9's could this help? Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.

Either the action is too low or the truss rod is not properly adjusted. Or a combination of both.

Also check if the Floyd is parallel with the body.

Floyds operate good with any string gauge, you just have to do a proper setup.
I have a problem with action on the 1st fret. The action on it is too low, guitar is equipped with Floyd rose, the truss rod and bridge adjustments doesn't help. Any suggestions?
When I play an open 6th string it buzzes strongly. Is it possible to raise an action on 1st fret?
Last edited by BigYankBAll at Mar 19, 2016,
Did you always have the problem with fret? If you just change to new strings.. maybe you inadvertently messed with the action or your guitar just needs to be set up.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Also, those are not Alllen wrenches. They are Hex wrenches. Allen is a trade name for K-D tools. Like Rollerblades. They are not Rollerblades [unless they actually are], that is a trade name. They are in-line skates. This drives me nuts.
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, I hope some kind person who has experience with floyd rose can help me.

So the thing is, my luthier changed the Floyd Rose Special on my LTD-M300FM to a Schaller Floyd Rose like 6 months ago and at that very day I noticed that when I pull up the trem' and release it back, every string goes sharp, like 15-20 semitones. but after I do a big dive every string always goes back to perfect pitch. I immediately asked my luthier about this, he said that it's a perfectly normal behaviour, like only ibanez tremolos would stay in perfect tune after pull ups. Then I was satisfied with his answer and i was using my guitar as usual, but recently I've watch a youtube video (here to be exact at 3:44 ) where the guy said that this issue could happen if the floyd's height was adjusted while max string tension and it can cause that tuning instability.
I've already had this issue the day I got the guitar as I said and I'm not sure how my luthier adjusted the height when he was working on it. I asked him about it, and he said that too, that never adjust the posts during tension, so...
I've tried to lube the knife edges with white grease (we don't have chapstick around here, though I'm not sure if any brand would do), checked if the locking nut is properly attached to the neck, the locking nuts aren't grooved and everything seems to be fine, the saddles and the tremblock, everything is snug but the strings still go sharp after pull ups and go back to perfect pitch when I dive.
Anyway, what are your thoughts about this?