MurderWorship
Frustrated Guitarist.
297 IQ
I've heard both extremes. I've heard it is the best next to the Original Floyd Rose. I've also heard it is horrible. Have any of you used one? How well does it keep the strings in tune with whammy bar use?
Tensorspencer
1,841 IQ
Its terrible, the worst of all trems, if somewhere you've heard that it was even NEAR the quality of a original floyd rose then you were gravely misinformed,
Although the ORIGINAL edge pro is very near an original floyd rose in terms of tunning stability and quality, but the edge III is an abomination of metal formed into the shape of a trem to fool you into believing it could keep ANYTHING in tune. Just look at all the posts in this forum from users of cheap or lower end Ibanez guitars that are all equipped with the Edge III, and how they want to cry since they can't even GET the guitar into tune, never mind keep it in tune if you use the whammy bar.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
Good; Edge, Edge pro, lo pro, some other Gotoh trems made for ibanez.

Reason for all evil in the world; Edge III and Edge II
bono_b
1 of those sept 04ers'
174 IQ
Quote by Tensorspencer
Its terrible, the worst of all trems, if somewhere you've heard that it was even NEAR the quality of a original floyd rose then you were gravely misinformed,
Although the ORIGINAL edge pro is very near an original floyd rose in terms of tunning stability and quality, but the edge III is an abomination of metal formed into the shape of a trem to fool you into believing it could keep ANYTHING in tune. Just look at all the posts in this forum from users of cheap or lower end Ibanez guitars that are all equipped with the Edge III, and how they want to cry since they can't even GET the guitar into tune, never mind keep it in tune if you use the whammy bar.

that is a bit extreme. you do not even own a edge III and your flamming on it like its rubbish, I own an edge III and it has been in drop C, drop D and standard and stayed in tune pretty well, although not as great as a top of the line floyd rose.
Ibanez RG350ex
strq010
Banned
218 IQ
always seemed like a good system. see for yourself. its on the JS model and i think some other models. go to the ibanez website and see.
chris_libby_88
I are educated.
473 IQ
Quote by MurderWorship
Alright then. Would an OFR drop right in or would it require serious adjustments?

hmm...its probably gonna require some routing. im not 100% positive, but i dout its going to fit in an edge III trem cavity.
Tensorspencer
1,841 IQ
Quote by bono_b
that is a bit extreme. you do not even own a edge III and your flamming on it like its rubbish, I own an edge III and it has been in drop C, drop D and standard and stayed in tune pretty well, although not as great as a top of the line floyd rose.

Hahahah I have owned an edge III actually, I don't flame anything unless I can formulate my own personal opinion on it, and personally I've tried many trems and it is the worst I've ever encountered.
ALSO, just look at the multiple posts per day from users who just CANT get their guitar in tune with an Edge III. The odds are stacked against you bro, sorry to burst your bubble. If you lucked out and got one of the Edge III's that stay in tune and can stay in tune after divebombing, then congrats to you!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Martyr's Prayer
Hates his username.
3,584 IQ
I own an RG with an Edge Pro III. It was bearable for awhile, but lately its just got worse and worse. And as if the low quality wasn't enough already, some guy I let show me a different stringing technique tightened my lockings nuts down so tight that I stripped the middle one almost completely trying to get it loose. Imagine playing 3 to 4 shows a week with that. And I use the whammy bar a lot.

Its sort of grown into a junky first car kind of thing, if you will. Almost everyone had that POS Ford Fiesta or Geo Metro that barely ran and looked horrible. But they still loved it because they knew what to do to coax it into starting, and they knew when its about to run out of gas even though the gas gauge is missing, and now how to shift past second gear which doesn't work. Like noone else could possibly drive that car, but it's 16 year old owner could and still loved it. Thats my guitar lol. I'm sure you won't believe me, but I'm able to keep it in tune almost the entire set. I just know how to.

Ofcourse I'm gonna replace the trem as soon as I have enough money though lol.
We're only strays.
Axeman99
195 IQ
I have an Edge III and it stays in tune if you use the right tremelo springs. Usually they come with springs that aren't very good. Having said that I don't use it very much but it sits there and stays in tune fine and works OK for the odd bit of divebombing.

If I used the trem a lot though I'm not sure it would hold up.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
sethp
8,402 IQ
to the thread starter.
yes and no, an ofr will SORT OF fit in. the when mounted on the pivot posts, and the tension springs in place, the strings will line up as should. if you get a picture of an ofr, you will see that the baseplate has more to the outside of the right pivot post notch as compared to the outside of the left pivot post notch. this will give the look that the whole tremolo unit will be off center in the routing cavity, which it is, sort of. the base plate will be off center. it will rub against the right side cavity wall and will leave a gap on the left side. but it will work
in addition, the ofr's string locking screws will extend beyond the recess routing on the guitar's body.
if you do this, i wouldn't bother routing out more space in case you ever want to sell it or something.
there is a simple fix for the second issue. you can mount it all up. get your intonation set, measure how far the string locking screws extend beyond the recess cavity. then take them to a hardware store (make sure you bring the string lock-block that it screws into, in order to work the threads back in while you're there).

on the other hand, an edge or edge pro will fit exactly in place with only the issue of the string locking screws.

if you choose to replace your edge III you can pm me and i'll walk you through it.
Attachments:
IMG_1833.jpg
Last edited by sethp at Jun 26, 2007,
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi
1,292 IQ
It is bad.

I have one on my Ibanez- loads of people one here said they crap out after a couple of months, mines lasted quite a while so i thought maybe only a couple of them are poor.
But the bar slides out on reverse divebombs, and it rips up the inside of where it goes until a bit comes out- now the hole is too big for the whammy bar, and it comes out every time.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
fatboythin
needs a Jackson KV2!!
1,062 IQ
^Exactly the prob i have with my 6 month old Ibanez. Damn it! Otherwise a great guitar.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Minseito
11 IQ
I've got one on of these on a lower end Ibanez. My problem hasn't been with the trem mechanism as such but with the pivot posts which were so tight that they both scraped when trying to alter the action. That's cost me £25 in spares so far. The trem itself seems reasonable enough, but I don't use it in reverse and that is where quite a few units have the problems. Let's face it guys, you pay lower end, you get lower end.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
the big problem is that people see "edge" and assume all edges are the same, then parrot their newfound "knowledge" around the forums.

this is just not true.

the edge, edge pro and lo-pro edge are good. the edge II and III are not.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

THURG
119 IQ
Meh. I've got an Ibanez RG370DX and it doesn't give me any problems...

Except when I tune down to CGCFAD or lower and the whole bridge sinks into the body, so all I can do with it is down-bends. It can only cope in standard, drop D or BADGBE/BEDGBE.

So not great, but not as bad as it's made out to be.
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi
1,292 IQ
Quote by THURG

Except when I tune down to CGCFAD or lower and the whole bridge sinks into the body, so all I can do with it is down-bends. It can only cope in standard, drop D or BADGBE/BEDGBE.

Way to dig up a necrothread.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
Quote by THURG

you can compensate for that with the springs in the back of the trem, that's not a fault. the mystery alloy which the knife edges are made of is.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

hatecrew2006
10 IQ
Know this is an old thread but anyway

I just got an Ibanez RG370DX for christmas and it has the edge III in it

I had the guitar setup by the shop I bought it from for DGCFAD and it's fine the only problem is the bar tension adjuster is a bit difficult to get at but it works fine if you get it setup properly make sure the nut is nice and tight and it should work great
Mathamology
noise. MOAR NOISE!
3,731 IQ
My Ibanez has an Edge III, and it is indeed a nightmare to get in tune. After playing around with the springs in the back, I managed to get it to my preferred tuning, although the fine tuners had to be adjusted a fair amount to achieve this!

As for staying in tune, I hardly ever divebomb with the wammy anyway, so I've not encountered much of a problem.
StoreyTimeMofo
10 IQ
To the people that are having trouble with the edge III's trem arm falling out, the hex key hole underneath the arm hole adjusts the depth of the arm, if you drop ur trem down with the strings being slack, ul notice under the lo profile saddles theres a hole for a smaller hex key, this one adjusts how tight the bar is in the hole. sorted! but as for the edge III, it's basically suitable for people who like playing with a floating trem but dont use vibrato at all. I've had my rg tuned from e to b at the lowest, and the tuning has kept fine. it's when you started whammying away it goes rediculously out of tune. you will be lucky if you get one divebomb without the tuning going out. It's a piece of shit, but you get what you pay for.
Mudhippy2011
Call me Chase
229 IQ
Mine works just fine, but I had my Xiphos professionally set up the second I brought it home. I play in C standard, and I can do any Slayer-ish divebombs without going out of tune. I think if you take care of it, it can work. It has worked for me for about a year now.

Also, I did have the problem of the trem bar being too slim for the hole, and it rattling around when I used it. I fixed that by putting a little electrical tape on the arm.
Life Sucks, And Then You Die

So make the very best of it

My Last.fm Profile

Please check out my Youtube, and friend me if you like it. I do C4C, and I gladly will crit anything if you ask me.

I <3 My Xiphos
notryt
65 IQ
Quote by Axeman99
I have an Edge III and it stays in tune if you use the right tremelo springs. Usually they come with springs that aren't very good. Having said that I don't use it very much but it sits there and stays in tune fine and works OK for the odd bit of divebombing.

If I used the trem a lot though I'm not sure it would hold up.

Buy a set of extra tension springs... It definitely makes a difference in going out of tune after dive bombing... however plan on spending a good hour or more getting it set up with these springs.... Once its done don't ever, I mean never, come up with an idea to put heavier guage strings on it. I found that if I dont use 9s I cant set it up.. either I cant get the trem to lay flat or I cant get the proper intonation.
Last edited by notryt at Jan 26, 2013,
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore
903 IQ
whoa....
this thread was originally from 2007...
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.