Page 4 of 4
Quote by Jes Johnson
Blue Cheer is a band that doesn't get enough attention. They were making heavy music even before Black Sabbath. There's also Cactus, Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, Captain Beyond, and Pentagram.

totally agree. add Uriah Heep, Humble Pie and Lucifers Friend (1st album)

for the record the Yardbirds didn't write Train Kept a Rolling it was originally done in 1949 by a piano player (can't remember name). the first rock version was done in the late 50s by the Jonny Burnette Rock n Roll Trio.
I'm not sure if the Grateful Dead is a good example, considering the huge Dead Head culture they left behind. But I don't know of a whole lot of people who know a thing about them who wouldn't call themselves a Dead Head. It seems that they're either life-long dedicated followers, or don't even know of their existence. As far as I can tell, few people fall in between. They were great though, very influential and they looked to have a great time playing. I'd say they were talented guys.
Quote by bub366
I'm not sure if the Grateful Dead is a good example, considering the huge Dead Head culture they left behind. But I don't know of a whole lot of people who know a thing about them who wouldn't call themselves a Dead Head. It seems that they're either life-long dedicated followers, or don't even know of their existence. As far as I can tell, few people fall in between. They were great though, very influential and they looked to have a great time playing. I'd say they were talented guys.

as my friend put it, people who don't like the Dead simply haven't heard enough of the Dead
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
as my friend put it, people who don't like the Dead simply haven't heard enough of the Dead

That's a good way to put it! Nice profile picture by the way.
Quote by romencer17

heard tons had total dead head friend. still not a fan. sorry if it doesn't do anything for you then more won't change that.
quicksilver messenger service...God I love California bands of this era.
Did not have the heart to go through all the pages so heres mine although they may have been repeated.

Todd Rundgren and Utopia.

Chicago during he Terry Kath years.

Faces.

Robin Trower

Johnny Winter
One really unique, foot-tappin' group that stands out in my memory: Booker T. and the MGs. Remember "Time is Tight"? Man, these guys could GROOVE! Turn up your volume and check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbBcXvKvB08

Another was Sly and the Family Stone. Can ANYBODY listen to "Dance to the Music" without moving just a little?

Another old favorite is Badfinger. Awesome, classic vibes on "Baby Blue."

Others are:

Donovan (Sweet Caroline, Sunshine Superman)
Herb Alpert and the Tiquana Brass (many!)
Crispian St. Peters (Pied Piper, You Were On My Mind)
Bread (Guitar Man)
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Last edited by Ruark at Nov 26, 2013,
Quote by monwobobbo
heard tons had total dead head friend. still not a fan. sorry if it doesn't do anything for you then more won't change that.

Same here. I think the Dead thing is more of a cultural phenomenon more than a musical one. I've had many Dead albums going back to 1968, and tried a hundred times to "get it," to no avail. They're about as interesting as watching paint dry.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
The Eyes - these guys are seriously good garage rockers.
The Creation
The Chocolate Watchband
The Starfires
The Sonics (though you still hear about them a lot)
The Litter
The Troggs
The Alarm Clocks
The Zakary Thaks
The Downliners Sect
Q65
The Del-Vetts
The Drag Set
The Count Five
The Kult
The Seeds
Shadows of Knight
The Gentlemen
THe Rats (Rat's Revenge)
THe Jujus
King's Ransom
Loot
I've found that Bebop Deluxe are a very underrated band from the 70s. Check out some of their albums like Sunburst Finish and Axe Victim.
Peter Gabriel-era Genesis is quite often overlooked as well. King Crimson also don't get quite enough attention.
As for guitarists, people like Rory Gallagher and Roy Buchanan honestly don't get half as much recognition as they should. For example, many people tend to ignore the Peter Green-era of Fleetwood Mac and only look at Rumours. If any of them even bothered to do some listening they'd find that the Green line-up produced much better music. Another name I'd like to use here is Jeff Beck. I know he's one of the most renowned guitarists in the world and all, but I always see people wanking over people like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page who don't have a clue about Jeff Beck. Compared to others, Beck does not gain nearly as much attention.
Uriah Heap ---Bow down to the Gypsie Queen, people! Was the heaviest thing I had heard as a kid. Was pretty sheltered. but it still rocks!
Quote by Rickholly74
Bloodrock

Great live band from Texas. I saw them open for Three Dog Night at Madison Square Garden in 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwDvtp-PAA

Played DOA live in the first band I was ever in... Got great reactions for the song and the theatrics we put with it.
Mostly 70's...some have been mentioned already..

Buffalo
Night Sun
Bang
Starz
Axe (late 70s anyway.)
Budgie
Kingdom Come
Iron Maiden (different band)
Blue Cheer
Slade
Geordie
Lucifers Friend