Page 3 of 3
Born Headless
874 IQ
The Melvins Saturday night and Primus Sunday night in Memphis. I'm psyched.
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Holy dead thread Batman.

Three posts up is me from almost two years ago.

Melvins rule by the way. Has anyone heard stuff off of the split LPs they're doing?
soundgarden1986
vaporwave queen
1,340 IQ
Quote by iwannabesedated
Holy dead thread Batman.

Three posts up is me from almost two years ago.

Melvins rule by the way. Has anyone heard stuff off of the split LPs they're doing?

I have not but I woke up in a Melvins mood and listened to In the Freaktose the Bugs are Dying and I'm still halfway through See How Pretty, See How Smart. What's up with the split stuff? I still haven't heard all of The Bride Screamed Murder

Man, The Maggot is a friggin' fantastic album
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at May 5, 2012,
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Quote by frankv
I like (a) Senile Animal quite a bit, but other albums/songs have never quite stuck with me. I have a feeling it might if I tried a little harder and willingly though. Badass band.

(A) Senile Animal is their best album since the early 90s without a doubt. One of their best overall as well.

Ozma, Bullhead, Lysol, Houdini, and Stoner Witch are the best of the rest. Houdini is probably their easiest to get into.
soundgarden1986
vaporwave queen
1,340 IQ
My opinion hasn't strayed too much since I was a retarded 16 year old. My top 3 are Hostile Ambient Takeover, Stag, and Honky

According to Wikipedia, on June 5th, a new album will be released. It's gonna be Buzz, Dale, and Trevor Dunn. I haven't seen that dude's name mentioned in ages
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at May 6, 2012,
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Quote by soundgarden1986
My opinion hasn't strayed too much since I was a retarded 16 year old. My top 3 are Hostile Ambient Takeover, Stag, and Honky

According to Wikipedia, on June 5th, a new album will be released. It's gonna be Buzz, Dale, and Trevor Dunn. I haven't seen that dude's name mentioned in ages

It's weird, because they're doing that album as "Melvins Lite", then they're working on another one with the Big Business lineup, and on top of all that they're doing those split records with 10 bands.

Melvins are the hardest working band I've ever seen.
Gorelord666
Lone Buffalo
80 IQ
Freak Puke? Nope, maybe within the next couple of weeks. Heard it was alright.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
BenRaah
zebra
676 IQ
Picking a favourite Melvins album is too hard, but Stoner Witch is up there for sure
hungBunny
12 IQ
I've been reading a lot of threads, here and elsewhere, on which Melvins album is the best.

'Best' is subjective, but I imagine it would rely heavily on whether you could listen to the album, front to back, and have urges to skip a song the least number of times.

Given that metric, I am surprised how often Houdini is suggested as their best album. More on that one momentarily.

Two albums come to mind when using the aforementioned metric: Lysol and (a) Senile Animal. I have Lysol in my car, and have let the CD repeat several times before opting for the radio.

Of the two, I might offer that (a) Senile Animal is superior. While both have no tracks you'd look to skip, and both provide continuous aural pleasure, Animal offers 10 varieties, each with substantial length. I've heard of a term used for fans of Tool, called 'Toolgasm'. This is defined something to the effect as, a moment in a passage in a Tool song where the pleasure centers of your mind light up. I'm sure you could think of some of these moments (I'd be shocked to learn that there are fans of Melvins who don't care for Tool. But that is neither here nor there.) (a) Senile Animal has several of these -gasms, and one might argue that the tone achieved on Buzz's guitar given the production quality of the album, leaves you in a trance of this pleasured state. Also, the two drummers layering percussion is a definite boon over the albums mentioned already.

As for Houdini, a simple test can be conducted as follows: listen to ...Animal in its entirety, then follow up immediately with Houdini. Very difficult to switch gears, or even maintain a zone of aural equilibrium. Houdini has its place, but it is more of a hard rock album.

Stoner Witch is a close third. While it has some amazing songs, it also has a number of tracks that prevent it from being a front-to-back candidate. In places it sounds like a precursor to the work on ...Animal, but it also has something of an identity crisis, featuring hard rock rather than sludge. Sludge is Melvins wheelhouse.

One other note- I am surprised to see that Eggnog is as recommended as it is. I don't find that album very listenable. It may be because I put it down quickly and haven't revisited it in a while.
BenRaah
zebra
676 IQ
Stoner Witch, Houdini, Stag, A Senile Animal and Bullhead are my top 5. I couldn't order them beyond that though.
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
I was thinking about this pretty hard recently for some reason.

Gotta go:
1. Stoner Witch
2. (A) Senile Animal
3. Houdini
4. Bullhead
5. Stag
6. Lysol

After that...it's their early stuff and their experimental stuff. Which is all interesting, but really isn't their best.
BenRaah
zebra
676 IQ
May 07, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 1 (playing Lysol, Eggnog and Houdini)
May 08, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 2 (playing Bullhead and Stoner Witch)
May 10, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 1
May 11, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 2
May 13, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 1
May 14, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 2
May 16, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 1
May 17, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 2
May 19, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 1
May 20, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 2

uugghhhhhhh

Hopefully tickets aren't too expensive. It'd be so great to see Bullhead and Stoner Witch in London
Doctor.Dolittle
Meme-o Friend-o
385 IQ
Favorite Melvins album, huh?

Gotta go with either Bullhead or Houdini
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
BenRaah
zebra
676 IQ
Every time this thread pops up I just wanna post repeatedly about how fucking cool the Melvins are
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Me too.

Gonna see them May 28th here in Columbus. My second Melvins show. Should be awesome.
Toadvine
Obviously, not a golfer
819 IQ
I've never really listened to the Melvins before, but they are coming into town in July, and I'm considering catching the show. Where would be a good place to start with them?
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
soundgarden1986
vaporwave queen
1,340 IQ
Quote by Toadvine
I've never really listened to the Melvins before, but they are coming into town in July, and I'm considering catching the show. Where would be a good place to start with them?

Stoner Witch and Houdini are probably their most accessible, so you should probably start with those. My personal top 3 are Hostile Ambient Takeover, Honky, and Stag. (A) Senile Animal might be good to start with too. They got a little more strange in the mid 90s to early 2000s

Here's one of my favorites from Houdini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA2GFPsi2k0
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Quote by Toadvine

Houdini is generally considered their most user friendly album. It was their first on a major label. Songs like Hooch, Night Goat, Honey Bucket, and Lizzy are fan favorites. So I would say start there, then move on to Stoner Witch, Bullhead, Lysol, their mid-career stuff.

Either that, or start with (A) Senile Animal, which was their first album with their current lineup featuring Jared and Coady of Big Business (another band worth checking out).

^Basically what he said.
Toadvine
Obviously, not a golfer
819 IQ
Thank you fine folks, much appreciated.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."