Page 249 of 249
Hey math nerds, I have a stats question. I've kind of forgotten some details to do with understanding NHST results, but have an article to read with p values and unfamiliar stuff everywhere.

If someone performs a hierarchical multiple regression analysis, does following up with a series of univariate ANOVAs to clarify mean group differences increase Type I error rate? I imagine it would, but I've never read an article before in which someone took these particular steps.

If yes, would an alpha correction (Bonferroni or something) reduce likelihood of a Type I error?
I thought Bonferroni was for Type II

idk it's 1 am so I may get back to this question or completely forget about it

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I have no idea but ill bump and hope someone else does. Tbh i hate stats
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Can any of you guys explain Dark Matter and Energy to me? It confuses the hell outta me.
Well, you see. There's matter and energy and then there's dark matter and dark energy.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by jhelkaa
Can any of you guys explain Dark Matter and Energy to me? It confuses the hell outta me.

scientists have observed movements of objects in space that indicates there is a gravitational influence which is not accounted for in the universe, so there must be some kind of mass out there which we have not detected yet. Matter and energy are the same thing (e=mc^2 tells us this) and so dark matter is basically just the account of all of this miscellaneous energy.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I''m now a doctor of chemistry. Come at me with your questions
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond

how many dicks did u have to suck to get where you are today
Quote by laid-to-waste
how many dicks did u have to suck to get where you are today

0. You just need to sacrifice your mental health and the prime years of your life to further someone elses career
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
0. You just need to sacrifice your mental health and the prime years of your life to further someone elses career

i am currently going through hell trying to complete my masters degree in pure math. after you went through an analagous amount of pain doing your postgrad degree, what on earth made you think it would be a good idea to continue this masochistic way of life into your best years?
Quote by laid-to-waste
i am currently going through hell trying to complete my masters degree in pure math. after you went through an analagous amount of pain doing your postgrad degree, what on earth made you think it would be a good idea to continue this masochistic way of life into your best years?

I went straight from a 4 year Bsc into my PhD
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Ippon
Congrats! How fast did this go?

4 years 5 months I just submitted my final hardbound thesis to the library yesterday
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond

How do you calculate the cross linking density of a BPA-E + DETA blend with an over index of 0.05 on the BPA side? Also balance the reaction and compensate for 0.02% excess epichlorohydren. 

And FYI, I have a BS in chemistry with years of experience in the polymer world. Nice to see that someone else loves chemistry enough to get a degree in it. What was your focus? 
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Hey math nerds, I have a stats question.  I've kind of forgotten some details to do with understanding NHST results, but have an article to read with p values and unfamiliar stuff everywhere.

If someone performs a hierarchical multiple regression analysis, does following up with a series of univariate ANOVAs to clarify mean group differences increase Type I error rate?  I imagine it would, but I've never read an article before in which someone took these particular steps.

If yes, would an alpha correction (Bonferroni or something) reduce likelihood of a Type I error?

wow.. I am a bit rusty on stats, it's a few years back, but maybe this read on ANOVA can help you out?  Getting more false positives via Type 1 error  - have you thought about chi-squared testing?
^ is it... eggs?
Quote by laid-to-waste i am currently going through hell trying to complete my masters degree in pure math. after you went through an analagous amount of pain doing your postgrad degree, what on earth made you think it would be a good idea to continue this masochistic way of life into your best years?

holy shit   ouch
Last edited by Masquirina at Jul 15, 2017,