Page 471 of 471
Dude in the IRC (that place you all oughtta be) linked this today:

Note the year (1979)

Thoughts?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
One of the most important bands in the Italian scene. Paul Chain brought Goblin's atmosphere to metal, and it paid off. Synth heavy at times coupled with occultism. Death SS basically forged the Italian heavy/doom/black scenes. Coincidence that those three genres are Italy's strongest output? Likely!

Sounded a bit like I was doing an interview for MTV in an alternate dimension, but I cannot applaud their work enough.

Run After To I also think had a huge part, but they don't have the clout that death SS do

I mean, ultimately Goblin werection still vastly more important than Death SS were.

Italian metal is beautifully unified and orchestrated thematically.

CHAINS

OF DEATH

CHAINS

OF DEATH
Yeah Death SS is great. Especially the old stuff... and the new stuff is fun too.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Always stuck with the Paul Chain stuff. Otherwise I think they're ok. Definitely not Paul Chain'saw baby by any means, but those just happen to be my favourite works.
First 3 Death Ss albums are also amazing. Forgot to put them on my phone goddammit
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
This thread needs some Sargeist. Just cause. Who the fuck doesnt like Sargeist. fite me

Let The Devil In is chock full of memorable riffs. Vocals are whatever, good but eh. Feeding the Crawling Shadows had better vocals to these ears. Overall I think Let the Devil In was just better quality. Riffs sounded so pure and perfectly oriented with their sound on Let the Devil In.

Finnish scene are pretty good regardless. Behexen's Ritual of Flesh and Blood still lingers in my noggin after all these years.

Love those melodies. They're simple, but scary effective.
Certainly, it isn’t difficult to sing laurels of the old classics, nor is it especially hard to pull down new bands for their glaring deficiencies. But it leaves me at an impasse: just what is it that I want from black metal?

This was a question presented by Old Disgruntled Bastard and it made me think about the role of black metal in the scene as a whole. What makes black metal great (again)?

I find myself at a total loss as to what constitutes great black metal.

Death metal was a continuation of thrash metal that was gradually morphed from Metallica to Slayer to Possessed to Morbid Angel. Black metal and death metal on the other hand have a different relationship, like the orcs and elves from Tolkiens work that evolved into different beings after being torn apart at an early age.
Last edited by Ozzy87_2 at Jan 29, 2017,
Black metal is minimalistic and atmospheric, but unlike ambient tends to base this on abrasive sounds. Hence, bands like 1389 which draw on this can be among the most effective. Conversely, more 'melodic' or 'symphonic' bands like Hellveto can gain more space from the black metal tendencies, which cut out potentially disturbing background noise and allow you to focus. Tracks like 'The Dark Reflection of Your Soul' by Melancolia can also draw on this, with the atmospheric aspect serving to isolate the listener. The general tendency of black metal to create a sense of a 'location' can be effective in other sub-genres, as for instance in Stendor's 'King of Winter' which occasionally draws on black metal sounds. As sub-genres go, it can't be wholly discounted, although it can often be quite simplistic.
But when all Space has been beheld
And all Dominion shown
The smallest Human Heart's extent
Reduces it to none.
If you tried to answer my post I'm not sure where you're getting at. The question was what makes black metal great (again)? If you try to portray black metal as minimalistic you sure do have a point but that is not the whole truth.

ODB asked what do we want from black metal? To say that it's all about the athmosphere is kinda dull. I want some aggression and thrashy riffs a'la Darkthrone as well. I want also layers of sound like Burzum and meditative sections of Beherit.
I didn't say merely that it was atmospheric, rather that it was so in a way which would be compatible with such things. It can be liked for similar reasons to death metal, as you seem to note, but it is distinct in some ways. Hence, it can be diluted by viewing it in such terms.

It seems that black metal's compatibility with atmospheric music is renowned, and in a way different from other sub-genres. While it is 'boring,' it is so because this aspect of it is often exploited and recognised. It also occasionally leads to connections with ambient music, or landscape-oriented music. Obviously mentioning bands like 1389 implies that this can be controversial, and their 'aggression' is often less appreciated.
And all Dominion shown
Reduces it to none.
A comparison of Satan and satraps could go on all day. I hear that a precise ratio was formalised in the Council of Nicaea.
And all Dominion shown
Reduces it to none.
Quote by Haytham
It can be liked for similar reasons to death metal, as you seem to note, but it is distinct in some ways.

It seems that black metal's compatibility with atmospheric music is renowned, and in a way different from other sub-genres. It also occasionally leads to connections with ambient music, or landscape-oriented music.

How about trance/house-music?
Quote by landry9
sam b

Man has to make a living. Besides his daughter is a qt3.14 aryan.

his daughter is like 4 wtf
Quote by sam b
his daughter is like 4 wtf

not that one

http://i.imgur.com/CCCjxNK.jpg