Page 148 of 148
Jet Penguin
One of the songs alternated between Am and this chord, not quite the same situation, so would be Fmaj7/A.
However it's interesting what you say, so a song like this for instance which is basically Gm with the 5th raised to b6, to maj6, and back down again (also with the 2nd and 4th as melody notes, plus the 5th in the higher octave against the b6) ... Could/would you call that progression Gm, Gm(b6), Gm6, Gm(b6), etc?

Quote by NSpen1
Jet Penguin
One of the songs alternated between Am and this chord, not quite the same situation, so would be Fmaj7/A.
However it's interesting what you say, so a song like this for instance which is basically Gm with the 5th raised to b6, to maj6, and back down again (also with the 2nd and 4th as melody notes, plus the 5th in the higher octave against the b6) ... Could/would you call that progression Gm, Gm(b6), Gm6, Gm(b6), etc?

It's Eb/G. I just can't hear the G as the root of that chord.

Regarding 80s music, I think this is a good example of what I would call a mb6 chord (not a maj7 in its first inversion).

e|-----------------
B|-----------3-----
G|-----0-------0---
D|---4-----4-----4-
A|-2-----3---------
E|-----------------

Though it sounds like the Rhodes in the background is playing a Bm7 chord, so that would make it Bm7b13 I guess.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I can't hear the b6 as a chord tone

Whitesnake: G over Bm7 as a pedal from the Em7 preceding
Vixen: D-C-Bb-A-Bb-Bb descending melody over G-Eb-G, strong notes D and Bb in melody. G-Eb-Bb = Eb/G
^Yeah.

You only every really hear the minor chord with (b6) as part of an ascending line cliche like that. It's not really a standalone harmony per se, just an eleaboration of the regular minor chord.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by NeoMvsEu

Whitesnake: G over Bm7 as a pedal from the Em7 preceding

Yeah, makes sense, and that's also what I thought. Kind of similar to x 5 4 0 3 0 - I wouldn't analyze the open strings as actual chord tones.

In the Whitesnake song the G could also be kind of an "anticipation" for the C chord because it's played just before the chord changes.

I just thought that was a good example of something that actually sounds like a minor chord and not like a maj7 chord in its first inversion.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hi, Help please?
Chas Mccombs There can be only one-- live version

A chord with the notes d, b, e
EADGBe
XX0430

Follows on from D (XX0232)

What is a name that will work in UG?
Last edited by beatboy65 at Oct 29, 2016,
Quote by beatboy65
Hi, Help please?

A chord with the notes d, b, e
EADGBe
XX0430

Follows on from D (XX0232)

What is a name that will work in UG?

The song only has four chords in it (if we forget about extensions and different voicings), D, G, A in the verse and D, G, E and A in the chorus.

The bass plays a G over that chord. I would call it a G6.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115