Manjinken
851 IQ
ive been singing and playing at the same time for a while. I even do it with songs where the singer isnt even the guitarist or bassist, just for 1)thew sake of being able to do it and 2)so i dont seem as unentertaining when playing without a band.

but anyway what are some hard songs to play and sing at the same time? I wanna perfect this art.
Axis777
201 IQ
i think any van halen song should be a challenge
muse-ik
Unregistered Abuser
397 IQ
through fire and flames.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Gu1T@r_H3r0
Paper Champion
3,133 IQ
Master Of Puppets - Metallica, James Hetfield is God-like when it comes to doing that sort of thing.

Stuff by Megadeth can also be really challenging to play and sing.

Try some tech-metal stuff like Sikth or something by Between The Buried And Me.
Zero_Mike
54 IQ
A lot of Megadeth is real hard.

Wrong Side by Strapping Young Lad is really though too. (At least the sweep picking part)
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Zero_Mike
54 IQ
Quote by MetalMilitia212
You guys are kidding, right?

Dream Theater
Outworld
Necrophagist
etc.

Can't believe I forgot Dream Theater. Good luck with that...

Lamb of God can be hard too.

Master of Puppets isn't that hard.

Trivium's Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation is intermediate.
Gear:
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
JvL
Banned
641 IQ
woke up dreaming by Joe Bonamassa
Manjinken
851 IQ
my bad, i know i said songs that the singer isnt even the guitarist for, but it would help alot better if people didnt just post any random hardest song they know.

lets start a little basic(er). What are like the hardest songs to play and sing by bands such as, Muse, White Stripes, Coheed, Police, even trivium or bodom(considerign they play AND sing), metallica maybe.

Im not looking to sing while playing fast leads, that can be done the second your fingers remember the notes, but rather im looking for songs with the vocals on odd timing with the riffs or chords, to help isolate my voice from my hands.
MetalMilitia212
Band
2,757 IQ
Quote by Manjinken
my bad, i know i said songs that the singer isnt even the guitarist for, but it would help alot better if people didnt just post any random hardest song they know.

lets start a little basic(er). What are like the hardest songs to play and sing by bands such as, Muse, White Stripes, Coheed, Police, even trivium or bodom(considerign they play AND sing), metallica maybe.

Im not looking to sing while playing fast leads, that can be done the second your fingers remember the notes, but rather im looking for songs with the vocals on odd timing with the riffs or chords, to help isolate my voice from my hands.

Necrophagist and Nile are probably the toughest, but start with stuff like Black Label Society and Coheed and Cambria.
Dickless.
sonixon
title and registration
3,160 IQ
A few notable songs where the guitarist is actually the one singing when they play these songs live would be:

FCPREMIX by the Fall of Troy
The Backend of Forever by Coheed and Cambria
Zero_Mike
54 IQ
Gunshot and Like Light to Flies by Trivium are a little challenging.

Try some Lamb of God. For a while I was screaming and playing Black Label by them. Can't say my throat liked it much, but it was good practice for keeping voice and fingers separate.

Maybe The Spy Hunter by Project 86?
Gear:
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Hops44
In Between Outlooks
332 IQ
Burden in my Hand by Soundgarden is pretty hard to sing and play
The softest of blankets is six feet of soil.

Upcoming Shows:
Sasquatch! Festival - May 2013
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.
2,353 IQ
Battery - Metallica.

James Hetfield is a hell of a rhythm player/singer.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Metallica
Children of Bodom
Necrophagist
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
MFZBen
216 IQ
Rufio - Above Me

I don't even want to try and play the main riff whilst singing
Gear:
Washburn X50 PRO
Roland Cube 60
No pedals
stwb
10 IQ
Quote by The Eyebrow
Sad But True rhythm guitar?

totally true. it's so completely different to the melody. master of puppets on the other hand, i always thought was quite easy because most of the singing comes over chuggy parts.
MmmCesium
250 IQ
Through The Fire And Flames. Not even DragonForce can do it!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Dyers
Banned
72 IQ
Quote by metal_dan
anything by the fall of troy

i saw some live vids and the thom sucks at playing guitar while singing
greg_705
10 IQ
I know this doesn't fit the heavy metal suggestions everyone else has, but check out Dave Matthews' solo version of the stone, pretty tough one to play and sing...
ConnorBrennan
244 IQ
Children Of Bodom ~ Cry of the Nihilist
The timing is so hard to get down with the singing. That and the riffs are jumping all over the place and strangely timed.
perplexedEmb
21 IQ
i remember a clinic paul gilbert had near my town

he talked about this very subject, and he recommended trying to get the intro to ac/dc's tnt with all the 'oi!'s in time as a damn good exercise for this sort of thing
Rickholly74
1,258 IQ
I have to say a number of things listed here I have never heard of so I'll direct my answer to types of songs that are difficult to sing and play simultaneously. You mention the Police. Many Police songs are hard to sing and play at the same time for a number of reasons. Let's look at "Roxanne". It has strange (but awesome) chord inversions and the reggae beat and rhythm of the song is pretty difficult to play without singing. The vocal melody doesn't match the rhythm pattern so you have to know either the guitar part without consciously thinking about it or be able to sing it without thinking. It's very hard to do both. I know people will point out that it's Sting singing and Andy Summers playing guitar but there are live examples of Sting doing it by himself on guitar on YouTube and he does it effortlessly. If you perform live by yourself or work in a band where you both sing and play guitar these things come up quite often. It's often a challenge but something you just learn to do.

I'd add "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. You have to fight not to sing along with the guitar riff.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 10, 2015,
reverb66
30 IQ
Quote by Manjinken
ive been singing and playing at the same time for a while. I even do it with songs where the singer isnt even the guitarist or bassist, just for 1)thew sake of being able to do it and 2)so i dont seem as unentertaining when playing without a band.

but anyway what are some hard songs to play and sing at the same time? I wanna perfect this art.

Raul Midon, Bruce Cockburn acoustic solo material ( Slice of Life album), Monte Montgomery, Hendrix - They are all exceptional guitarists who also sing while playing - Hendrix will be the most accessible.

If you want challenges, you'll find them there.
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
2,974 IQ
ConnorBrennan, This thread is from ****ing 2008. TS isn't checking this thread 7 years later. Don't revive threads from 2008. Idiot.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 10, 2015,
mabbamam
95 IQ
Vinnie Moore - Last Ride Home. Got to nail the HEY in it around 3:21