Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
It all comes down to this...

No matter how fast, articulate, brilliant, your playing is...no matter how incredible your tone, your gear, your guitar, how many hours you've practiced...

If you are a jerk, egotistical, full of negativity, short-tempered, abusive, mean-spirited, irresponsible, disrespectful...no one will care how you play...

The number one thing to strive for, in becoming a great musician, is to be a person of integrity, character, honor, and respect...period.

Because, ultimately, you may revolutionize the guitar world, but if you were a hostile person, your legacy is tarnished forever...believe me, many big name greats have passed on, who were unbelievably horrid towards their fellow man, and THAT is what people still talk about...

If anger is something with which you struggle...look into it...get to the bottom of your rage, and overcome it, so that it doesn't overcome you...

Being angry in and of itself isn't unhealthy, but what you DO with it, how you treat others...DOES have an unhealthy effect on you...

Consider that you are the center of a certain sphere of influence, a vessel, and that you can do anything you want with that...change the course of people's lives with who you choose to be...with that, consider how you might be a benefit...NOT a thorn...on those to whom you come into contact...however possible it is for you to live at peace with those around you, take responsibility for it, and do so...

Do this first, consider this above your playing...and you will go much further, and in the end, without any regret...

I learned along the way, from personal tragedy (my 1st wife died of cancer when she was only 37, I was 31--back in 1997), that life guarantees us no length of time, so do what you can to leave a positive mark on this earth while you are here...

I've also learned from my own mistakes, don't misunderstand, I've NOT lived perfectly...but now that I am more aware, now that I pay attention to these things, I do try harder...

So, no "preaching" intended here, I just wanted to share from my experience...

Peace,

Scott

1,57$
Another Registered User
62 IQ
Yes, that's why whenever I play guitar, I make sure I'm very nice about it.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
+ 1 to that entire thing. most of my music is pretty uptempo and kinda pissed off, but i'm pretty openminded and chill. never diss someone elses ability. if they are "worse" than you, just try to remember we all learn at different speeds and EVERYONE who has ever picked up an instrument was there at one point.

don't ever get your ego super inflated either . its one thing to be able to admit to being good, its another to think you're gods gift to music (and a totally better thing is to accept a bit of humility and realize there are always others better)

i've known plenty of people who fit the egotistical frontman and didn't even have the skills to back it up. theres nothing more annoying than the "my way is the right way, your way is crap because its not my way" attitude.
Keegan560
36 IQ
I agree fully.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
National_Anthem
Quite the toff
554 IQ
The egotistical, angry attitude works for some - look at Beethoven. But to be fair, he was widely misperceived. Thanks for the post though, it showed insight and it's very true.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,300 IQ
Quote by National_Anthem
The egotistical, angry attitude works for some - look at Beethoven. But to be fair, he was widely misperceived. Thanks for the post though, it showed insight and it's very true.

Aren't you forgetting YJM?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by z4twenny
+ 1 to that entire thing. most of my music is pretty uptempo and kinda pissed off, but i'm pretty openminded and chill. never diss someone elses ability. if they are "worse" than you, just try to remember we all learn at different speeds and EVERYONE who has ever picked up an instrument was there at one point.

don't ever get your ego super inflated either . its one thing to be able to admit to being good, its another to think you're gods gift to music (and a totally better thing is to accept a bit of humility and realize there are always others better)

i've known plenty of people who fit the egotistical frontman and didn't even have the skills to back it up. theres nothing more annoying than the "my way is the right way, your way is crap because its not my way" attitude.

Absolutely.

And man, you can play intense, aggressive, razor-sharp music as a preference, and STILL treat others with respect.

In the end, you will be more remembered for how you treated people than for your playing.

I've never been to a funeral where, in the eulogy, someone said: "he could really sweep-tap a bad-ass minor9 arpeggio."

It's usually stories about that person's interaction with others.

SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!
115 IQ
That does sound kind of preachy, but it makes perfect sense. Nobody likes assholes.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That does sound kind of preachy, but it makes perfect sense. Nobody likes assholes.

I've got no one to preach to here. I don't know you guys that well. i'm just throwing some stuff out there, based on my own mistakes and experiences with others, trying to save some of you guys trouble as you go along. You might reflect back on this post, and choose the better path in a given moment, saving yourself gigs, relationships, etc.

Yeah, man, no preaching here. Trust me.

SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!
115 IQ
I know your just being helpful, and I respect you for doing that. You should write an article so people outside the musician forums see it.

Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by SmElLy KiD
I know your just being helpful, and I respect you for doing that. You should write an article so people outside the musician forums see it.

Yeah, I've been getting that from fellow forumites.

I'll look into that.

SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!
115 IQ
I just saw in your profile that you were on the Grammy finalist list, so I am going to talk you message more to heart because you you must have been around and know many things. Edit: You also have some great music on your profile.

Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by SmElLy KiD
I just saw in your profile that you were on the Grammy finalist list, so I am going to talk you message more to heart because you you must have been around and know many things. Edit: You also have some great music on your profile.

Thanks for checking out my profile, digging deeper into things. There's MUCH more stuff on my myspace page, if you're ever bored or can't sleep.

I'd be glad to help anytime.

Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
cheers to that. I write tons of metal but categorize as extreme metal. I dont' sing about death, killing or violence.

the more decency we can spread, the better for everyone whether you pursue fame or not.
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
Damascus
The Insect King
307 IQ
Quote by Scott Jones
I've got no one to preach to here.

The choir?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
demonofthenight
UG Spammer
976 IQ
I mostly disagree to everything in this thread. Being successfull has to do with either massive ammounts of skill or if a general audience that likes what your doing or luck. Mostly that luck factor. None of your audience needs to meet you in person, they couldnt care about your personallity. Just play really great, or play something popular at the time, or be lucky enough to play in the same room as a happy drunk promoter/producer.

And Scott, some of your threads dont really belong in MT, as they are not about Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.
Avedas
yoloswag420
673 IQ
Quote by demonofthenight
I mostly disagree to everything in this thread. Being successfull has to do with either massive ammounts of skill or if a general audience that likes what your doing or luck. Mostly that luck factor. None of your audience needs to meet you in person, they couldnt care about your personallity. Just play really great, or play something popular at the time, or be lucky enough to play in the same room as a happy drunk promoter/producer.

And Scott, some of your threads dont really belong in MT, as they are not about Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.

Did you miss the point completely?

Bad interactions with bandmates will get you NOWHERE.

Also, way to be a dick with your last line.
RichieJovie
My ass bleeds for you
1,669 IQ
Being successful has more to do with who you know not what you know.

Personality and character traits have very little to do with it.

The bottom line is there is generally no formula to it at all.

As a human being you should strive to be nice to people anyway irrespective of whether you are trying to attain success for yourself.
lethalagent14
Bibliophile.
224 IQ
Playing in the same room as a happy or drunk promoter won't do you much good if you start swearing at him/her though, will it? Maybe your target audience will never meet you in person, but you still have to interact with other bandmates, management, sound technicians, recording engineers, and many other people. Luck most certainly does play a factor in success, but anyone who can't even pretend to be nice for 10 minutes won't get very far.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
rich2k4
Musician
2,352 IQ
i agree completely.

no one wants to play with someone who is an asshole.

you have a session gig, and during the gig if you are demanding, disrespectful, etc. no one is going to bother calling you back if they have another project where they need a guitar player.

no one will reccomend you to others, because your an asshole.

if your the type of person that likes to talk behind other musicians back, about how much they suck. then that gets you nowhere fast.

as a musician you have to have respect towards others.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
Quote by demonofthenight

demon, normally i give you props but i think you're a bit off here. if you're an a$$hole your fans will find out (generally when the band breaks up because of a ridiculous ego, scott weiland / axl rose anyone?) granted being extremely successful (going platinum, getting grammys etc) has to do a bit with really getting recognized and writing a good tune, you'll probably never get there if nobody can stand to work with you cuz you're a dick.

secondly, this guys in the industry. regardless of what forum this belongs in, i think maybe we can learn all learn something from the experiences of someone in the music field who is/has been successful. i for one have no problems listening to advice from someone who's been doing what most of us aspire to one day do. i don't think most anyone else in here has a problem with it either.
metal4all
Always tripping
922 IQ
I think there's a better attitude to become succesful. Being absolutely determined. You showed that that's what you were in that one thread. Every successful guitarist you hear about talks about how they practiced so much and devoted their lives to it and it ended up paying off. So for becoming successful, wouldn't that be more important than being a good person?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
^ but again, a badass who is a prick still plays with himself..... all puns intended. sure you might pique someones interest if you're incredibly good and a jerk. but you have a far better chance for success if you're nice. success can come in many forms, from being a metal superstar to scoring a soundtrack to simply writing jingles and getting paid.
bluesrocker101
Danny
997 IQ
While it does come across as preachy, I think that is excellent. I think lots of people need to know this, and act a bit more humble. And this point not only goes for music, but for every aspect in life. The rewards of being nice, and caring, and humble, are truly amazing.

To be successful, you have to be ambitious AND humble at the same time.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Kanthras
Boogerman
905 IQ
While I do think you listed some excellent guidelines to being a nice musician.. I'm not sure I agree with you.

For example.. Axl Rose was hardly a darling, but he's quite succesful. Steven Tyler is a bit of an asshole too (Mustaine said so. Wait, he was a dick too...).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by Kanthras
While I do think you listed some excellent guidelines to being a nice musician.. I'm not sure I agree with you.

For example.. Axl Rose was hardly a darling, but he's quite succesful. Steven Tyler is a bit of an asshole too (Mustaine said so. Wait, he was a dick too...).

Not everyone turns out to have that kind of "rock star-rebel" career.

I play in a band with a drummer who was a complete dick to the to audio/tech guys at a VERY well playing club. They banned him from the club.

Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
I thought I'd revive this thread for the sake of further discussion. It still applies to how I approach my career and life.

So, to reiterate, showing kindness and respect to others throughout the industry, will very much benefit you as a musician in the long run.

food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Kindness and respect don't bring you recognition or success in their own rights, but they are necessary to establish before you're able to make a name for yourself.

It's just another way to say "professionalism." No one cares that you're professional, you just need to be or else people won't work with you. It's simply an expectation.

Really being successful is all about having the diligence to make a product worth selling and being able to intelligently and persuasively market your product. It's a simple concept really, but there's a lot that goes into that. Some people just don't have the opportunities. Others don't have the skill or mindset. Others just may not want it enough.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 6, 2013,
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
It's actually shocking how many players I run into, who aren't aware of these principles.

A favorite of mine: "There is no hope of success for the person who repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of power, and power is attained, in large part, through the cooperative efforts of other people." Napoleon Hill.

AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
being successful doesn't have a lot to do with attitude.

attitude is EVERYTHING. hard work, kindness, and the remainder of the necessary components all stem from that.

as a very wise man in my life once said, "negative attitude? negative bank account." that's the way it's going to work, in music, in business, in life.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
955 IQ
Quote by AeolianWolf
being successful doesn't have a lot to do with attitude.

attitude is EVERYTHING. hard work, kindness, and the remainder of the necessary components all stem from that.

as a very wise man in my life once said, "negative attitude? negative bank account." that's the way it's going to work, in music, in business, in life.

Agreed.

Perfectly stated.