Page 640 of 640
Today marked exactly 2 years since I took delivery of the M235i, and also just a few days over year 1 with the NB Miata. Thought I'd do a long term review.

Very short version: LIVING DA DREAM!!!

Longer version:

Both cars are absolutely superb. They're a constant highlight of my day. Let's start with the M235i: It perfectly balances rawness and refinement, especially after the exhaust upgrade last summer. The exhaust note is so so good, so full, so satisfying, and reasonably below ear shattering levels while still maintaining more than enough presence. Parking in garages is a blast, where you can hear the echo chamber feeding back the sonority of the exhaust. The car itself still impresses with its dynamics and versatility. I've moved houses with it (partially), I've gone on 4 person roadtrips with it, I've wrung it out on back roads. Whether I'm unwinding slowly on a rainy day or seeking a bit of inadvisable exhilaration, it's finely tuned to whatever I'm in the mood for, and that's amazing. Excellent balance, good feedback for today's standards, and very controllable when breaking the rear tires loose. The restrained technology hasn't aged yet, with nav and infotainment still very usable. For me, this car does it all and with great style. After the terrible experience with the 328i, I'm thankful that this car has been rock solid...although it's only 22k miles in. 2 years later it still looks as good and performs as well as new.

As for the Miata: this car is a revelation. It's analog perfection. The truly instant direct cabled throttle, the supremely tactile steering rack and Nardi wheel, and the razor sharp handling. This is THE everyday car. It makes every drive an event thanks to its unfiltered character. I feel sorry for anyone who's not an actual racecar driver who says this is a slow car. The connectivity of this car brings a kind of speed that's not just pure velocity, but heightened sensory perception. Whereas the M235i feels like a high tech mech suit by comparison, the lightweight, simple, balanced Miata almost disappears around you, connecting you directly to the road. For some reason, this car keeps egging me to go faster, past 85...90...100, while the BMW tells me I should probably not do that for too long. There is virtually no better driving pleasure than going around a good corner in the Miata. It's not as theatrical as the BMW in sound or style, and I've wrestled with this a lot, but I think at the end of the day the Miata is slightly more fun and satisfying to drive, and is arguably the better car for that reason.

For weaknesses, I have to get nitpicky. The BMW throttle is not as responsive as the Mazda, and it's just overall not as connected. But not much I can blame BMW for that, given today's requirements. The turbo'd engine loses steam at the top of the powerband, making it not as satisfying to fully reach redline sometimes. The throw on the Miata shifter is surprisingly long, and it can be a bit of work to throw into 5th. Purely for gas economy, it'd be nice to have a 6th gear but I realize that would take away from the urgent character of its lower gears. The clutch may be the biggest disappointment, too spongy and fickle, so I still occasionally struggle to get a consistently smooth start in 1st and 2nd.

I'm well inclined to agree with the cliche "You know you bought the right car when you can't help but look back every time". Every. TIME! For both. They're just that good. I'm very fortunate to have both of these treasures, and look forward to a long life with them.

Some numbers:

F22 M235i:
- purchased: Feb 23rd, 2015
- current mileage: 21,158
- total fuel costs: $2,511.89
- average MPG: 23.6 (93 oct)
- total service cost: $2,153.97
- mods / work: cosmetic, high flow downpipe, muffler delete, mid-maintenance interval oil changes

NB Miata:
- purchased: Feb 6th, 2016
- current mileage: 72,458, total tracked miles: 10,180
- total fuel cost: $991.04
- average MPG: 25.6 (89 oct)
- total service cost: $5,404.53 (looool )
- mods / work: Kosei wheels, replaced rear bumper, replaced vinyl roof with new cloth top, major interval service

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Today
The more and more I research a second car the more it becomes clear that Miata is the answer.

Also, 8 months into my Si and I've put on 28,000 miles. Is that enough for a long term?
Da fk did you spend $5400 on the Miata for?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by JustRooster
Also, 8 months into my Si and I've put on 28,000 miles. Is that enough for a long term?
holy shit that's a lot of driving

Quote by Acϵ♠
Da fk did you spend $5400 on the Miata for?
mostly covered in the "works" section. Someone rear ended my bumper in the parking lot, but no witness and was a no-fault state on private ground, so I had to pay for a replacement + paint out of pocket. $1000. The roof replacement was another $1000. The major service was $1700. etc etc. This car is much more expensive than I anticipated...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Today
well i mean thats just bad luck, not typical at all
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Yea, in theory the cost curve should die down. The major interval service, no way to avoid that, but it should cover me for a good while.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
So we have this rare beauty standing in our offices:

And then I take a gander inside....

Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Today
^lmao

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana