Page 272 of 272
Some various stuff I've been making recently. IQ isn't great as these were sized for instagram but

Ranch It Up ///////// 'Sup Mello?
Sooooo macro lens adaptor is great fun, the DOF is razor thin but with a bit of moving in/out and using the focus ring I got it mostly right. Live view is a godsend when focusing manually but it does make me wish I had an articulating screen as I had to skip on photographing any violets because they were too low down and the ground is still pretty squishy.

Some stuff from the garden and from the woods today in the spoiler tags. There's some pink tree blossom (idk what tree), Hawthorne blossom from the woods, wood anemone with a pollen beetle, a bit of fern, pansies and crocuses from the garden.

No editing for these ones, all straight from the camera.

Where does everyone post their photos online (if at all)? So far I've been keeping imgur posts private but wondering if it's worth tagging them and making public, in which case, are watermarks needed?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

^ Oh wow, nice.

I thought I was the only one who took pics of flowers. Some crocuses out so far and a few daffodils (in the garden, not the new ones in pots yet). Haven't taken any pics yet though. That macro lens seems pretty good, I think I need to get one since currently I have to just manually zoom way in with the stock kit lens

I'd guess ornamental cherry tree for the blossom, but I could be wrong. They're nowhere near out here (Northern Ireland) yet I don't think.

My photos generally live on the memory card inside the camera
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc yeah we have daffodils out too but the depth of field just made most of it out of focus in my photos. Because it's so flat and my town was built in the 70s/80s, the only things to photograph are flowers and the marshes. Even the woods are boring most of the time because it's all coppiced and full of hawthorne.

Opteka Achromatic 10x Diopter Close-Up Macro Lens for Canon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GBCYF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8GeXybMKCT23W

Is what I bought. For £20 it's pretty neat (cheapest tamron macro lens is £349 and canon macro lenses start at £350) and just attaches to my 18-55mm kit lens. Although I found out that I somehow have 2 deep scratches on the kit lens. For something that I've only had for a few weeks I have a suspicion that it came like that because I don't see how it could have got scratched.
Quote by Renka

OddOneOut Oh right so it's just a cheap adaptor? That might be worth considering What's putting me off getting any more kit is I know next to nothing about photography so don't want to spend tons, but even the "cheap" stuff is dear enough that I don't want to buy something crappy. But £20 is cheap enough that that's not really an issue. Thanks

Anyone else want to chime in on whether that adaptor is worth £20? And more importantly, can a dope like me destroy my current lens (or camera ) trying to attach it?

That sucks about your lens having a couple of deep scratches I'd be suspicious too.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
OddOneOut  Oh right so it's just a cheap adaptor? That might be worth considering What's putting me off getting any more kit is I know next to nothing about photography so don't want to spend tons, but even the "cheap" stuff is dear enough that I don't want to buy something crappy. But £20 is cheap enough that that's not really an issue. Thanks

Anyone else want to chime in on whether that adaptor is worth £20? And more importantly, can a dope like me destroy my current lens (or camera ) trying to attach it?

That sucks about your lens having a couple of deep scratches I'd be suspicious too.

you could experiment with extension tubes first if you like, should be able to get a set for more like £1 from China, as they don't have any glass.
I love photographing plants/flowers. Bummer that nothing is in bloom here yet. 
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
^ Didn't you post some nice ones last year I think? I seem to remember some nice foliage plants (bugle or something like that), but maybe it was someone else.

Quote by Diamond Dave
you could experiment with extension tubes first if you like, should be able to get a set for more like £1 from China, as they don't have any glass.

Thanks. £20 is cheap enough that's it's no problem, just as long as it doesn't damage anything else on my camera or lens
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 11, 2017,
Quote by OddOneOut
Where does everyone post their photos online (if at all)? So far I've been keeping imgur posts private but wondering if it's worth tagging them and making public, in which case, are watermarks needed?

flickr is not what it used to be (I joined long after its strong photographic community apparently got chewed out by Instagram) but its still a very convenient place to post photos IMO.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 11, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Didn't you post some nice ones last year I think? I seem to remember some nice foliage plants (bugle or something like that), but maybe it was someone else.

£20 is cheap enough that's it's no problem, just as long as it doesn't damage anything else on my camera or lens
I heard about extension tubes as Diamond Dave suggested, but seeing reviews about them getting stuck on the body as well as losing aperture control put me off!
The lens screws on exactly like a filter so I'd say it's about as risky as screwing a filter on. It's a pretty solid metal/glass construction. I'm not sure about drop in image quality due to the glass as I haven't really done a comparison with it on/off, but can take a couple of quick shots tomorrow and upload if helpful.

Also, turns out they're actually called "close up" lenses, or filters.
Quote by Renka

Quote by Diamond Dave
flickr is not what it used to be (I joined long after its strong photographic community apparently got chewed out by Instagram) but its still a very convenient place to post photos IMO.

Eh?

also thanks for your advice a few posts back
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh?

also thanks for your advice a few posts back

well flickr used to be the place for photography, before Yahoo bought it or Instagram existed/took off. There's hardly any interaction on there nowadays, even groups that people are still actively posting images to haven't had active discussions for like 5 years in a lot of cases.

there's still shitloads of users and photos going up, but its basically just high res image hosting, there's no real community any more.

and no problem, talking about it kind of replaces the fact I haven't been able to go out and try to do it for real for a while lol.
Quote by Dave_Mc

This one?

I love when those bloom, that's what I want a picture of most with that 35mm prime. That was taken with a regular digital camera, but I'd like to get one with my D40. Won't be able to though, moving before then.

Fitted on canon 100D. Shutter speed 1/30 f8 ISO 6400
With close up lens

Without close up lens, taken at minimum focusing distance

100% crop

Quick comparison with and without the close up lens if anyone is interested. I don't think there's a noticeable drop in image quality, they're both noisy as fuck (other than focus issues and a slight drop in colour saturation), I think the difference would be more pronounced with a better lens though.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Mar 12, 2017,
^ The link doesn't seem to be working for me.

Quote by OddOneOut
I heard about extension tubes as Diamond Dave suggested, but seeing reviews about them getting stuck on the body as well as losing aperture control put me off!
The lens screws on exactly like a filter so I'd say it's about as risky as screwing a filter on. It's a pretty solid metal/glass construction. I'm not sure about drop in image quality due to the glass as I haven't really done a comparison with it on/off, but can take a couple of quick shots tomorrow and upload if helpful.

Also, turns out they're actually called "close up" lenses, or filters.

Thanks

How risky is that? I haven't messed with filters yet either.
Quote by Dreadnought
This one?

I love when those bloom, that's what I want a picture of most with that 35mm prime. That was taken with a regular digital camera, but I'd like to get one with my D40. Won't be able to though, moving before then.

Yep that's the one

Some irises out today that we planted in the autumn Too dark to take any pics though.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc fixed! I couldn't figure out changing privacy settings from mobile and too lazy to start up laptop.
As long as you can screw something on straight you'll be fine :P
Quote by Renka

^ Thanks

It's maybe slightly noisier with the macro but there's not much in it. I reckon for £20 it's worth a try.

And that's a heroic assumption that I can screw something on straight
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Thanks

It's maybe slightly noisier with the macro but there's not much in it. I reckon for £20 it's worth a try.

And that's a heroic assumption that I can screw something on straight

if you managed you mount your lens in the first place you should be able to handle it lol
^ Ah ok, lol. Thanks

OddOneOut: I suspect those blossoms probably are cherries- I'm not that well up on tree blossoms (and a lot look pretty similar, like apples, etc. but I think it's far too early for them, I think apples are May EDIT: of course a day or two ago I confidently claimed it was far too early for cherries here, so maybe bear that in mind ), but I was out today for a walk and the cherry blossoms are trying to come out here too now (nice weather for the past few days).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 13, 2017,
Quote by OddOneOut

Fitted on canon 100D. Shutter speed 1/30 f8 ISO 6400
With close up lens

Without close up lens, taken at minimum focusing distance

100% crop

Quick comparison with and without the close up lens if anyone is interested. I don't think there's a noticeable drop in image quality, they're both noisy as fuck (other than focus issues and a slight drop in colour saturation), I think the difference would be more pronounced with a better lens though.

i actually prefer without the filter but that's just my opinion 

i take it this filter allows you to use a much narrower field of focus though?

edit: I think you could probably improve the results substantially by using a tripod and a lower iso, perhaps even a flash to help illuminate the petals a bit more
Quote by Dreadnought
You can't read very well can you

oh my bad I forgot you were a shitty clone of an already shitty user who contributes nothing but trash LOL my bad
Last edited by kalypto at Mar 13, 2017,
Quote by kalypto
i actually prefer without the filter but that's just my opinion 

i take it this filter allows you to use a much narrower field of focus though?

edit: I think you could probably improve the results substantially by using a tripod and a lower iso, perhaps even a flash to help illuminate the petals a bit more

Yeah it just reduces the minimum focusing distance.
Oh yeah, lots of things I could've done to make those images better but just wanted something quick to show the difference it makes. As far as I know, proper macro lenses don't have such a narrow field of focus (as well as a better image quality) but can't justify the price for the amount of use.

If I liked insects more I'd probably take pictures of them, but the thought of a giant bug on my screen makes me cringe so much.
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
Oh yeah, lots of things I could've done to make those images better but just wanted something quick to show the difference it makes. As far as I know, proper macro lenses don't have such a narrow field of focus (as well as a better image quality) but can't justify the price for the amount of use.

If I liked insects more I'd probably take pictures of them, but the thought of a giant bug on my screen makes me cringe so much.

the depth of field is still razor thin, that's just a matter of physics.

macro shots with say a whole bee in focus are generally done with bugs that are caught, frozen, and posed (yep, you read that right lol) and then a technique called focus-stacking is used to combine the in-focus regions of a dozen or more images into one in photoshop.

the main benefit of a "proper" macro lens is you can get even better reproduction ratios and have an easier time with the autofocus.
Quote by OddOneOut

haha ditto
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Diamond Dave
the depth of field is still razor thin, that's just a matter of physics.

macro shots with say a whole bee in focus are generally done with bugs that are caught, frozen, and posed (yep, you read that right lol) and then a technique called focus-stacking is used to combine the in-focus regions of a dozen or more images into one in photoshop.

the main benefit of a "proper" macro lens is you can get even better reproduction ratios and have an easier time with the autofocus.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Edit: that's really helpful to know though, helps my manage expectations of my photos. Like the first time i found out about Photoshop and airbrushing models.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Mar 14, 2017,
4 rolls Ektar 100, 6 rolls Superia 400, 1 roll Ilford HP5 B+W, and 1 roll Ilford Delta 100 B+W.  A pretty hefty investment, but I want to make a big dive back into film.  
JustRooster Good for you bud
I really regretted not having an articulating screen when taking these. Was hard to compose (not the best but I'll take it) and get focus right but at least no breeze.

This ain't perfectly in focus but i like the highlights on the water droplets.
Quote by Renka