Page 270 of 270
Local shop has a really good deal on an open-box RX100 II, thinking about buying it so I can have something smaller and more pocket-sized than an A6000 to carry around day-to-day, but that has manual shooting, optical zoom, raw shooting, and other nice things camera phones don't. Thoughts?

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
I'd be interested in a RX100 for exactly that purpose, but that would be to complement a big chunky DSLR... depends how cheap it is but the A6000 is already on the smaller side, maybe doesn't offer a huge point of difference.
It's smaller, but it's not pocket-sized small. If I want to carry it around with me day-to-day, I'd have to bring a bag around specifically to carry it, which kinda defeats the whole idea.

I actually bought a tiny credit card-sized point and shoot for this exact purpose over the summer for $30, but it only has full auto and 480p video, so that's a bit too underpowered

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Diamond Dave, I'd love to visit Skye some time. No excuse really, it's a lot closer to me than to you but not being a driver makes heading to the highlands a bother.

I'm looking for an affordable wide angle lens for my Nikon D5300 - all I have currently is a 35mm. It'd be partly for doing landscapes and hopefully at some point trying some astrophotography.
I see the Samyang 14mmand 16mm are a decent price (~£250 used).
The 14 is fulll frame wheras the 16 is crop sensor, so on my camera the 16 would actually give a wider view, right? (no use getting the 14mm if it's equivelant to 24mm)

Anything else in this price/wideness range worth looking at?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Diamond Dave, I'd love to visit Skye some time. No excuse really, it's a lot closer to me than to you but not being a driver makes heading to the highlands a bother.

I'm looking for an affordable wide angle lens for my Nikon D5300 - all I have currently is a 35mm. It'd be partly for doing landscapes and hopefully at some point trying some astrophotography.
I see the Samyang 14mmand 16mm are a decent price (~£250 used).
The 14 is fulll frame wheras the 16 is crop sensor, so on my camera the 16 would actually give a wider view, right? (no use getting the 14mm if it's equivelant to 24mm)

Anything else in this price/wideness range worth looking at?

well why we were away we did the whole thing on public transport except the highlands because we got the impression it would just be too hard. I actually noticed heaps of buses in all sorts of seemingly unlikely places though, down all the single tracks and everything. Not sure it would be ultra-convenient but maybe it is possible?

hard to imagine living in Glasgow and not having been up there, but then again there are a tonne of places in my own backyard that I've never been to either, easier to put off I think.

about the lenses first I'll try to give you a crash course in focal lengths, crop factors and 35mm equivalents. So the first thing to remember is that focal length is focal length, but more on that in a second. The difference between your DX 35mm and a full-frame 35mm is the size of the projection on the sensor. If you mount them both on your D5300 they will both give you (near abouts) the exact same field of view, ~52.5mm 35mm equivalent. That is to say a 35mm lens on a DX body will give you a similar field of view to a 50mm lens on a full-frame body, and that's where this "full frame equivalent" term comes from (because the field of view you get on 35mm film/full-frame with a particular lens is what people have been accustomed too since the Leica I days). Alternatively if you mount them both on a D810 or 5D MkIV or something you get what is kind of the "standard" 35mm field of view, with the caveat that the DX version will have heavy vignetting, as it doesn't project a big enough circle of light out the back.

so with that in mind (ask me anything if its unclear, not the most thorough explanation) the 14mm lens is wider than the 16mm lens and they will have approximately the same field of view (35mm equivalent) as a 21mm and a 24mm lens respectively. 24mm is the widest lens I have, which I use on a full frame so its similar to what you're looking at with the 16mm

21mm (the 14) is significantly wider

I tried to pull some more images but most of the people in the 20mm flickr groups are shooting on DX bodies so the images look more like 30mm which is not that wide at all. Something you always need to be careful of if you want to check out lenses on flickr.

the long and the short of it though is that going ultra wide on DX is pretty hard, and shooting ultra wide is hard too. I have no idea what it might cost you, but you could have a hunt for a secondhand Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II as that's meant to be quite good and gets you quite a bit wider. I think I would really just recommend the Samyang 14mm though, anything wider than that 20mm range starts to become quite special-purpose territory and its very easy to push those landscapes too far away. Just make sure its in good condition as they're not made to the same standard as the good Nikon or Canon stuff, but image quality wise they do punch above their weight.

EDIT: uh, update with a warning, the Samyang lenses won't meter on your D5300, the Tokina should though, and it has autofocus.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Dec 6, 2016,