Page 1 of 23
NY_FootBall49
UG's White Ordell Robbie
1,105 IQ
Pretty cool band. Vocals can be an acquired taste but besides that here pretty good. There recording right now got a few demos up right now. Not really sure what genre they belong to my friend showed me them he didn't know. A few things on there page me think they were -core. Whatever there good who cares. Start with Light and Walk those are the best songs.

http://www.myspace.com/periphery
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Nov 28, 2009,
nutinpwnsgibson
1,125 IQ
join my group (link in sig). they're a great band. not so much a hardcore act though, but definetely an up and coming band in today's metal scene. i've seen them live twice
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I really like them.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
pwnd
23 IQ
I heard theese guys on Metal Injection, sounds real good...
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,405 IQ
Liked them more before they had vocals. And even then I wasn't really that into them.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by recklessnick
i lost my lunch in my pants is the only good song

That song's hilarious. Bulb is definitely one of the more talented guitarists of this generation of music. I think Periphery is overlooked a lot because the Djent trend has obnoxiously skyrocketed and so many bands are playing off that sound. Bulb's leads and sense of melody really set them apart though.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by saxaxe
That song's hilarious. Bulb is definitely one of the more talented guitarists of this generation of music. I think Periphery is overlooked a lot because the Djent trend has obnoxiously skyrocketed and so many bands are playing off that sound. Bulb's leads and sense of melody really set them apart though.

backed
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
The only problem with this band is that the singing reminds me of Finger Eleven or another generic radio rock band.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
MustangMan311
Cody
2,113 IQ
Quote by nashawa
The only problem with this band is that the singing reminds me of Finger Eleven or another generic radio rock band.

I don't really like the band overall, but I agree that this is something holding them back.
slorggetti
Skree!
401 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Yeah I was genuinely confused when the OP said the vocals were and acquired taste...
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
slorggetti
Skree!
401 IQ
Quote by NY_FootBall49
The clean singing is an acquired taste for me at least.
I don't know I just see acquired taste vocals more along the lines of Swarrrm or something

(PS: I ****ing love Swarrrm)
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by nashawa

I agree at times. I really miss Casey's vocals, but Chris is a great dude and does an incredible job live.
NY_FootBall49
UG's White Ordell Robbie
1,105 IQ
Bump.

Band rules.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
BGSM
Banned
1,269 IQ
i can't really get into this band, but am i think only one that gets pissed off by the whole "djent" thing? such a stupid word. vocals are absolutely terrible on letter experiment, i had to stop it 20 seconds in.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,405 IQ
Yes, I hate that word.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
NY_FootBall49
UG's White Ordell Robbie
1,105 IQ
Quote by BGSM
i can't really get into this band, but am i think only one that gets pissed off by the whole "djent" thing? such a stupid word. vocals are absolutely terrible on letter experiment, i had to stop it 20 seconds in.

What does that even mean anyway.

Quote by RU Experienced?
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,405 IQ
Periphery coined it, it's their style of playing. With the downtuned guitars and odd time signatures and Meshuggah-style single-note riffs.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by NY_FootBall49
What does that even mean anyway.

Quote by Bulb
Guitar noise onomatopoetia.
The sound you get when you palm mute with razor tight, high gain tone.

"DJENT! DJEN-DJENT!"

Not to be mixed up with the ordinary "chugga-chugga" or "dun! dun-dun!".
Metalhead #1: Dude, did you hear Peripherys new tunes?
Metalhead #2: Yeah, what a great djent on the guitars!

I love the sound and music of djent, but hate the trend that it's launched. I mean even TDWP have djenty parts now.
ride-the-spiral
Crocodilus Pontifex
179 IQ
To be honest I've never heard the "Djent" sound. Like, I know what djent music sounds like, but I don't hear the onomatopoeia.
I quite like the vocals to be honest, anyone heard the song Heliovoice? I'm not sure whether it's the same guy singing but I'm pretty sure it is, great melodic song a bit like Light.

Really can't wait for the full length. And I'm not really seeing why this is in the Hardcore forum?
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by Unourrit01
they are a meshuggah cover band with a different style vocalist

Except the fact that 75% of their music sounds nothing like Meshuggah.
ride-the-spiral
Crocodilus Pontifex
179 IQ
Alright that makes sense. Still an awesome song.

Quote by Unourrit01
they are a meshuggah cover band with a different style vocalist

They have a similar approach to rhythm in alot of cases but in terms of melody harmony and overall songwriting there isn't much of a comparison.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,405 IQ
I like it more than I did with their other vocalist. I'd probably like it more without any clean vocals, but whatever.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Internal Chaos
D.I.Y or D.I.E
1,464 IQ
Icarus Lives! With Casey is their best. And the album sampler has Buttersnips in it! Sick, will be getting this.
zezimathehero
pretentious wankstick
168 IQ
i just do not care for this new vocalist.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Liked them more before they had vocals. And even then I wasn't really that into them.

Pretty much this.

Ok for an occasional listen but nothing really interesting IMO.
Tim Remains
Dixienormous
975 IQ
Saw them last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZnpuNs6XHU

He said he was really sick
"We wanna have fun and we wanna get wasted." - Andrew W.K.

Quote by baltour;39385525
I think devildriver, lamb of god and killswitch are the best black metal probably ever.

Quote by andyq777
the clean vox weren't bad a lot

XBL: Tim The Hero
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by Tim Remains
Saw them last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZnpuNs6XHU

He said he was really sick

Just judging from this performance, I definitely prefer Chris. But I can understand a crappy performance if he was sick.
Rufiothebandito
540 IQ
All New Materials is amazing, I've been learning the first 40-50 seconds and it's really difficult, my fingers needed some stretching.
Also, I don't see the Meshuggah correlation apart from the 7-string bit, to me, they were muddy as hell and not so much prog as they were experimental but periphery is pure prog djenty mettle
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Quote by Rufiothebandito
All New Materials is amazing, I've been learning the first 40-50 seconds and it's really difficult, my fingers needed some stretching.
Also, I don't see the Meshuggah correlation apart from the 7-string bit, to me, they were muddy as hell and not so much prog as they were experimental but periphery is pure prog djenty mettle

Polyrhythms, chugga chugga, low tunings.
Sounds like Meshuggah to me.
Rufiothebandito
540 IQ
Quote by Magero
Polyrhythms, chugga chugga, low tunings.
Sounds like Meshuggah to me.

That group of characteristics describes so many other bands and they too are not like Meshuggah. It really feels like a desperate attempt to compare one thing to another(like most people do with bands), but Periphery sounds truly unique and to say they are "just like Meshuggah" I feel like that's grasping at straws, they sound nothing like each other imo.
Also, I think Peripherys production, whether you think it's good or bad definitely sets them apart from other bands with any hint of djent in them.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus