On my new guitar there is a very small chip out of the top coat finish that is thick enough to catch your finger nail. I suspect it is from the guy who set the guitar up because it is right at the edge of the backing plate for bridge access.

I am ocd enough to find this minor issue, but I'm not really stressed about it. My question is should I just let it be or should I apply something to the area to keep it from spreading? We are talking something the size of a BB or smaller.
I'd just leave it, i've never in 18 years of playing noticed a chip that spread so I should think it will be fine in that respect. And besides, it's on the back so it's not like it's going to be seen much.

I do understand though, I'm really quite precious about my guitars too and my RR3 went about 7 years before it received its first ding in the paint. And that's without being in a case 99% of the time, it has done well!
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
I'd just leave it, i've never in 18 years of playing noticed a chip that spread so I should think it will be fine in that respect. And besides, it's on the back so it's not like it's going to be seen much.

I do understand though, I'm really quite precious about my guitars too and my RR3 went about 7 years before it received its first ding in the paint. And that's without being in a case 99% of the time, it has done well!

Thanks for the advice. I am going to live with it haha.
It depends... How new is the guitar? If you just got home from the shop you should be headed back for a return. If you've had it a while then just live with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It depends... How new is the guitar? If you just got home from the shop you should be headed back for a return. If you've had it a while then just live with it.

A valid point actually, I didn't notice the the TS said new guitar! Two hours sleep does not make for a well functioning brain.
It was probably chiped because the tech used a hard object (probably a flat screwdriver) to get the cover off. Many covers will stick and be hard to remove with out a little persuasion when they are new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It was probably chiped because the tech used a hard object (probably a flat screwdriver) to get the cover off. Many covers will stick and be hard to remove with out a little persuasion when they are new.

This is what I am guessing. This guy is really nice though and setup the guitar exactly how I wanted, so I will just live with it. It is very small. I will keep an eye on it and as long as it remains small I will live with it.
If it bothers you, take clear nail polish and put a drop on the chip. It will level itself and dry hard.