Page 1 of 2
WTmission
460 IQ
I guess everyone has had bad experience with low quality items. So I suggest we make a list of items that we should not buy unless we have no other choice.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Poor idea. This will simply turn into a list of things people don't like. In addition, ALL manufacturers produce lemons, even batches of lemons, and not just in this area of the market. And when you buy something at a price, you do so acknowledging that there are certain things to expect at that price.
JustPhil
Not beautiful
195 IQ
inb4 Behringer.

On a serious note, they do cut corners in production to cut costs and this can show on some products. Amps have a tendency to break down, they lie about the power output and their pedals are made from plastic and have to be treated with exceptional care, there's some products that are worth getting because they're so damn cheap but just don't expect them to last if you treat them like the rest of your gear.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Quote by JustPhil
inb4 Behringer.

On a serious note, they do cut corners in production to cut costs and this can show on some products. Amps have a tendency to break down, they lie about the power output and their pedals are made from plastic and have to be treated with exceptional care, there's some products that are worth getting because they're so damn cheap but just don't expect them to last if you treat them like the rest of your gear.

They don't lie about the power output. They do, however, use a measurement which isn't RMS (and RMS is different in different countries), within a certain frequency range with a certain THD tolerance. The same happens with a lot of surround sound amps, they give the power rating of one channel driven from 20-20,000Hz. The truer measurement would be the power output of a channel when ALL channels are driven, using the full frequency range of a Blu-ray soundtrack.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Poor idea. This will simply turn into a list of things people don't like. In addition, ALL manufacturers produce lemons, even batches of lemons, and not just in this area of the market. And when you buy something at a price, you do so acknowledging that there are certain things to expect at that price.

I have to agree with Ben here. This is going to end up looking like an argument clinic quite quickly. For instance, I don't like Thunderbirds, even the Gibson one's but that doesn't mean if someone really finds them satisfactory for their playing that they aren't worth the price for that bass player. Though if Justin Meldal-Johnsen ever decided to give me his, I wouldn't mind.

Quote by red_hot_chili18
Drummers, all of them.

Your drummer is either really poor or you're going to have issues in every band you ever play in.
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.
1,105 IQ
Quote by anarkee
I have to agree with Ben here. This is going to end up looking like an argument clinic quite quickly. For instance, I don't like Thunderbirds, even the Gibson one's but that doesn't mean if someone really finds them satisfactory for their playing that they aren't worth the price for that bass player. Though if Justin Meldal-Johnsen ever decided to give me his, I wouldn't mind.

Your drummer is either really poor or you're going to have issues in every band you ever play in.

Or I'm joking?
Spanner93
333 IQ
It's all a matter of opinion. I for example would tell everybody to never-ever buy a fender, but that's just my preference. Whereas someone else will tell you to never buy an Ibanez (and then they deserve to be shot :P).....

All of these threads, barring the technical support ones are purely based upon somebody's opinion.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by Spanner93
All of these threads, barring the technical support ones are purely based upon somebody's opinion.

I agree that this thread might become a useless flame war, but i completely disagree with this. This threads are purely based upon somebody's opinion, and they always were. There's nothing wrong with that. You may have had bad experiences with fenders, and it's great that you can share that with us, so at least when we think of getting a fender, will do being warned and that could make us make the best choice for us. Others experiences and opinions are useful, and this is what forums are all about. At least, that's what i think.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
P basses
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by King Of Suede
P basses

See this brings up my point exactly. My next purchase is going to be a MIA Precision and I love them to death.
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Bite me =P
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
OtamotPuhctek
10 IQ
Quote by WTmission
I guess everyone has had bad experience with low quality items. So I suggest we make a list of items that we should not buy unless we have no other choice.

I'd suggest avoiding the 1974 Ford Pinto.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
I'd suggest avoiding the 1974 Ford Pinto.

You don't like cars that explode? Where's your sense of fun?
OtamotPuhctek
10 IQ
Quote by anarkee
You don't like cars that explode? Where's your sense of fun?

Lost my asbestos lined jammies in a card game. Never been the same since!
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Behringer, Laney, Boss, Cort, Mexican Fenders, Affinity Squiers, Talkbass Fads.

My own personal hate list.
Spanner93
333 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Behringer, Laney, Boss, Cort, Mexican Fenders, Affinity Squiers, Talkbass Fads.

My own personal hate list.

OOOOOOOOOOH, was waiting for someone to do this.

Anyway, my turn.

Fender, Gibson, MXR (not bad gear, but it's overpriced), Laney and above all Squier (ALL SQUIERS).
Quote by Karl Marx
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by Spanner93

Anyway, my turn.

Fender, Gibson, MXR (not bad gear, but it's overpriced), Laney and above all Squier (ALL SQUIERS).

Classic Vibe Squiers are amazing.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Quote by anarkee

Maybe we're just getting old snd sagely, Tam
dark Mass
ZORK
523 IQ
I hate Behringer, Accugroove cabs, DNA cabs, Digitech, Ampeg, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Gibson, and Rickenbacker.
Tostitos
caffeinated
868 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Talkbass Fads.

But all those fads include both loving and hating just about everything at the same time. Oh the paradox!

I'd suggest people avoid Eggo Pancakes, cheap mandolins (of the slicing variety), store-brand tools, and non-fabric band-aids. Besides Behringer, bass gear is all so personal and subjective, everything has it's fans and haters.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Maybe we're just getting old snd sagely, Tam

I concur.
Sliide90027
368 IQ
What was the Boss and Digitech beef(s)?

Just asking. No argument will ensue
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Boss is over priced.
Quote by Banjocal
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
647 IQ
Quote by Spanner93

Anyway, my turn.

Between my bass and guitar rig I have three mxr's pedals and I dont have a problem with any of them. Proves to show its all subjective haha
On topic I dont like schecter basses but I love my c-1 plus
Drmckool
Self-proclaimed doctorate
2,739 IQ
The only things on my "never buy again list" are cheap patch cables and Floyd Rose bridges (for Guitars), everything else is personal preference.

Also FYI to anyone who cares, I'm buying a Rickenbacker 4003 tomorrow, and it's going to be awesome.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
WTmission
460 IQ
Yeah it's ok that you share this information ,but maybe you should say ( write ) why you don't like these items ( I hope you write something reasonable as a reason )
Spanner93
333 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Classic Vibe Squiers are amazing.

Meh, they're OK but extremly overpriced: For 400eur there are MUCH, MUCH better basses.... such as Ibby ATK's, spector performers etc. I mean 400eur for a ****ing squier, I'd expect it to be passable.

Quote by fudger
Between my bass and guitar rig I have three mxr's pedals and I dont have a problem with any of them. Proves to show its all subjective haha
On topic I dont like schecter basses but I love my c-1 plus

I like MXR, I just don't like MXR prices.....
Quote by Karl Marx
consecutive e
draws 'til death.
1,471 IQ
^ Maybe you're just a tightwad?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
jonathan.keeler
1,864 IQ
Just from my experience. i got a five string epiphone thunderbird pro, but there is bas strap button placement making the headstock plummet to the ground. it weighs a ton. meh tone. frett rattle, loose pickups and a very weak finnish (seriously, i once dropped my guitaralele on it and took out a chunk about 1.5cm squared).
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Quote by jonathan.keeler
i got a five string epiphone thunderbird pro, but there is bas strap button placement making the headstock plummet to the ground. it weighs a ton.

Sold my LTD MD-500 for this single reason. So annoying to be playing while having to hold the instrument up like that. Makes too much stress for the left hand.
Also the reason why I don't like thunderbirds.
Quote by Banjocal
Spanner93
333 IQ
Quote by consecutive e
^ Maybe you're just a tightwad?

Possibly, although I've recently been buying EHX pedals....
Quote by Karl Marx
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by Spanner93
Meh, they're OK but extremly overpriced: For 400eur there are MUCH, MUCH better basses.... such as Ibby ATK's, spector performers etc. I mean 400eur for a ****ing squier, I'd expect it to be passable.

Funnily enough, I've had two Ibanez ATKs, a Spector Performer AND a Classic Vibe Precision Bass AND a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass AND a Vintage Modified Precision Bass.
(Ask the regulars here, I've had pretty much every bass you can get for less than £1000. The Classic Vibe Squiers are amazing; the build quality was at least as good as the Spector and ATKs, not to mention that these are completely different styles of bass.

For £400 they're amazing, you just need to avoid being put off by "Squier" and "Made in Indonesia." Unless you're paying over a grand, whatever you're buying is going to be made by underpaid immigrants anyway.

That felt good.
Spanner93
333 IQ
Matter of opinion mate

I have never liked any Squier I've played including the CV Jazz, I can understand why people like them but they just ain't my thing.

On the subject of ATK's, I'll be buying one soon
Quote by Karl Marx
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by Spanner93
Matter of opinion mate

I have never liked any Squier I've played including the CV Jazz, I can understand why people like them but they just ain't my thing.

On the subject of ATK's, I'll be buying one soon

If you like Precisions and Jazzes then you'll like CV Squiers, if they aren't your thing then the quality won't matter.

I love the ATK300 series, sadly its been discontinued. The GATK looks like a hell of a project bass.
Spanner93
333 IQ
That's the thing mate, both my current basses are active humbuckers, If I was ever to buy a jazz I'd get a second hand Sandberg. Not a big fan of P's anyway.

Yeah, probably getting an ATK800 for 380eur used. Gonna go look at it early next week, price seems a little too good tbh.
Quote by Karl Marx
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Good work guys, I would have predicted that this thread would go down in flames like a Viking Death ship.

Personally--the only things I think are just consistently poor in our world are Dean basses and Behringer.