Page 1 of 2
Dae1337
20 IQ
Hi folks,

I'm the leader of a coverband that's had a few gigs and we're going to write our own music as well. We always have a lot of fun playing together but still we can't manage to get people to really respect and like us. Often friends will tell me that we were 'the best of the evening' and stuff like that, but still it just doesn't 'seem' to me that the crowd really likes and respects our music.

The crowd never dances to our music and they do to the other bands playing. Bands similar to us (friends) get more likes on FB than we do. Why do people say that we were the best and still, the way i see it, those other bands get more respect?

What could it be? Thanks for helping out!

Dae

Oh and PS. one other thing: tonight i played with some other guys for the first time. They told me they were playing their own songs but it turned out they played all kinds of covers and i didn't know the songs.. They weren't better musicians or anything but i just couldn't find a way to 'get involved'. I just played some stuff randomly, they didn't tell me what to do and i did not know the songs: it was awful. I feel like i screwed up and i could feel they thought i was a rediculous musician. This is not my fault right? Why didn't it work out that well?
SharkSandwich
20 IQ
To your first point, you did mention that the reassurances you received were from your friends, perhaps they were being nice. Or the crowds havent been kind to you because youre the wrong genre for them, or youre playing covers people dont like.
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
143 IQ
If you want people to me more interested in you, be more interested.

It depends on how good they expected you to be. Some people can hop in and make stuff up, most people can't.
Carl LOG
41 IQ
If you get any videos of you playing then feel free to send some to me I'll have a look and listen... I'll think of it.. it could be anything.. the genre, the songs.. maybe even the fact that you are playing covers not your own stuff? it could be (im not assuming anything im just suggesting things) that your playing is just.. too sloppy? or maybe singing (important part of music when people listen to songs... to them its 50% vocals 50% music.. while for real.. to musicians it's 20% vocals, 20% guitar, 20% bass drums blah blah.. whatever..) it also could be the fact that you maybe arent giving enough energy or interaction to the crowd? many things are important.. remember it is a SHOW and people come to SEE you live not only listen Hope I helped...
HotspurJr
82 IQ
Quote by Dae1337

The crowd never dances to our music and they do to the other bands playing. Bands similar to us (friends) get more likes on FB than we do. Why do people say that we were the best and still, the way i see it, those other bands get more respect?

First thing first - watch these other bands. Listen to them.

Be honest and compare yourself to them.

One of the hardest things you'll have to learn in any artistic endeavor is how to be objective about the quality of the work you're putting out.

If your as good as they are musically, how good are you from a charisma point of view, connecting to the crowd?

We can't tell you since we haven't seen you (although if you can point us to a youtube clip of one of your live performances, we might be able to offer clues).

Oh and PS. one other thing: tonight i played with some other guys for the first time. They told me they were playing their own songs but it turned out they played all kinds of covers and i didn't know the songs.. They weren't better musicians or anything but i just couldn't find a way to 'get involved'. I just played some stuff randomly, they didn't tell me what to do and i did not know the songs: it was awful. I feel like i screwed up and i could feel they thought i was a rediculous musician. This is not my fault right? Why didn't it work out that well?

It's your fault.

If you don't know what to play, DON'T play until you do know what to play. Don't play until something demands to be played.

It's hard to integrate into what a group of other musicians who all know each other are doing. The first thing you have to do is not be shy about talking. "Hey, what are you doing there?" Communicate.

Then you have to listen. You have to listen and really hear what they're doing, and hope that inspires you to do something cool, too.
Sakke
Chaser of 'Tone'
120 IQ
Quote by Carl LOG
If you get any videos of you playing then feel free to send some to me I'll have a look and listen... I'll think of it.. it could be anything.. the genre, the songs.. maybe even the fact that you are playing covers not your own stuff? it could be (im not assuming anything im just suggesting things) that your playing is just.. too sloppy? or maybe singing (important part of music when people listen to songs... to them its 50% vocals 50% music.. while for real.. to musicians it's 20% vocals, 20% guitar, 20% bass drums blah blah.. whatever..) it also could be the fact that you maybe arent giving enough energy or interaction to the crowd? many things are important.. remember it is a SHOW and people come to SEE you live not only listen Hope I helped...

While I agree with you that people come to see bands and not only listen, I'll rather have my audience moved by the music in mind rather than moving around by the beat.

Thing is though, you have to be interested in what you're playing. You can sound right and you can play it "meh, this again" and it can go great. But it still won't look like that you're in it, cause you're not. You have to show that you're in it 110%.

What else do I have on my mind.. Well, if you didn't know what to play since they didn't tell you what they're playing, to me that sounds like a total nightmare. I could imagine myself backing up for someone and then I wouldn't have any idea what I'm going to play. It would surely send shivers down my spine. What's more, I'm not really into that "life's full of surprises" thing. If I get told "we play originals", they better let me just listen to them.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 13, 2012,
6-String_Madman
20 IQ
Dae,

Having this kind of mentality of wanting to have your audience like and respect your band could lead to a lot of negative results. If you play music to be liked by the crowd, they will know it and to their ears it will sound preconceived and pretentious.

What you and your band should do is to do your best on stage and not to give a single **** about what anyone else would think. Just give it your all. In my several years of performing on-stage, my lesson learned is... you can never please everybody. Yes, performing on stage is a form of entertainment to listeners but it is always better to look at it as an art, in which, self-expression is the one and only purpose.

It would really help if your band could finally perform the songs you have written to make the overall performance more real.
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned
10 IQ
Once a cover band, always a cover band. It also matters what type of music you play. Changing your demographic or what you play sounds like the problem.
rickyvanh
10 IQ
The people that you're playing for should respond to cover songs better than originals simply because of familiarity.Playing obscure cover songs is not much different than playing originals.Putting together a list of cover songs that are fun and relatable is key.Try not to be too serious with it.Pink Floyd,Rush,Metallica,etc. are all great bands,but covering these bands at a bar,party,wedding,etc. usually doesn't go over well.Play songs that everybody knows.Pick stuff from different styles,don't just play rock or pop or whatever.The idea is to put together a fun show,not to try to impress people with technical stuff.You may find yourself playing songs that you personally hate.If you can get the girls dancing by playing some old disco classic,the guys will follow,even the ones in the Slayer t-shirts.Check out other cover bands,and what songs the crowd responds to.Check out The Dan Band,They were in that Starsky and Hutch movie.They are the ultimate cover band.They quit their day jobs a long time ago.Good luck ...
Last edited by rickyvanh at Nov 13, 2012,
jetwash69
244 IQ
Quote by C0FF1NF33D3R
Once a cover band, always a cover band...

The fun thing about statements like this are the obvious exceptions.

Like Metallica.

Were the Garage Days before or after lessons from Satch?

On topic, I've found people more likely to dance to stuff that the crowd can move to. The the most dancing I've seen from the stage was when we cover Blood Red Shoes with "Boring by the Sea"--not a really well known song. Next is probably "7 Nation Army."

I've also seen the same basic crowds on different nights react differently to the same songs based on the stage banter leading up to the song. Seems like they get a lot more into it when we take the effort to make it a participatory experience for them. Like encouraging them to clap for "I Love Rock n Roll".

Genre is a huge factor, like someone said. If the crowd's into country/southern rock, don't take it personal if they're not into your metal or alternative, or whatever else you're playing.

It also matters a lot if you have personal connections with the people in the crowd, or if they've invested in you by buying your merch. You can even pass out cards with a link to where they can get a free download of one of your originals.

Hang in there and ride it out. This is just part of what they're talkin' about with "paying your dues"
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Yeah a +1 to the "who cares what people think" school of thought. Play for yourselves. The audience will dig that more.

And for the second problem, about the jam, I would say that if you are going to jam actual songs then you need to learn them first. Thats the standard way. It should be "Hey man... learn song x, y, and z then come jam with us"....

...so dont get to freaked out about that.... many if not most would have found that situation impossible...

Side note alluded to above... Metallica were a covers band that played obscure covers.... people thought they were originals!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
Two parts to your question, I'll address them in turn:

Quote by Dae1337
I'm the leader of a coverband that's had a few gigs and we're going to write our own music as well. We always have a lot of fun playing together but still we can't manage to get people to really respect and like us. Often friends will tell me that we were 'the best of the evening' and stuff like that, but still it just doesn't 'seem' to me that the crowd really likes and respects our music.

What could it be? Thanks for helping out!

The purpose of a cover band is to play popular material. The bar does not have the cash to hire the original artist so they get you instead. I have a grand suspicion that your band is playing songs that you like, rather than what's popular. You choose Tool covers over Carly Rae Jensen. That's not choosing popular music, it's more jerking yourselves off, at the expense of a dance floor.

On dance floors. There's a simple logic to it. Guys follow girls. Girls like to dance. The girls hear a song that they like and go to dance and the guys follow. It's rare to see a single group of guys dancing on the floor while the girls sit on the side (unless the guys are exceptionally wasted).

So the question is, are you playing the songs that the girls like? This goes back to the idea of "popular". It's not for you to decide, all you have to do is look through the top 40, your setlist is already written out for you.

Argue what you want, but if the audience is dancing to everyone except you, on the same night, you're obviously not the best band. You could be not tight, but it's just as likely that you're picking the wrong songs.

So that's point one, cover bands play popular music. If they aren't they may as well be playing originals.

Quote by Dae1337
tonight i played with some other guys for the first time. They told me they were playing their own songs but it turned out they played all kinds of covers and i didn't know the songs.. They weren't better musicians or anything but i just couldn't find a way to 'get involved'. I just played some stuff randomly, they didn't tell me what to do and i did not know the songs: it was awful. I feel like i screwed up and i could feel they thought i was a rediculous musician. This is not my fault right? Why didn't it work out that well?

Firstly they should have told you what covers they were doing, or given you links to their songs in advance so that you could learn them in advance. So that's point one.

As for the other stuff, a foundation in music theory and learning songs by ear (rather than tab) will help you understand your instrument better and improve to the point where you can learn new songs quickly, and have the tools to write original parts for them.

Is it your fault? Nope. They knew what they were going to play, and they didn't tell you. It's quite possible it wouldn't have worked out regardless, but they should have told you anyway.

Why didn't it work out? You didn't know the songs, and don't have the tools to learn them quickly.

How to avoid this in the future? Ask for the songs before you meet up. Learn music theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Dae1337
20 IQ
Thanks for the very helpful replies guys!

I'll PM some of you with a youtube vid.

I'm not sure what i want to do.. We could play the popular songs, but i don't think I want the image of 'pop group that 15 y/o girls dance to'. The band of a couple of friends of mine doesn't really play popular songs, but somehow they manage to get everyone jumping and mosh pitting all over the place. I guess i'll have to let go the mentality of 'wanting everyone to like me', but in the end, isn't that why people market their groups? Isn't promoting your stuff on facebook the same as shouting 'Like me! Listen to me! Watch this!'?
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
^^^^ Such is the life of the cover band that doesn't play popular music.
Soundcloud
Erra93
erriuyai
284 IQ
Quote by Dae1337
Thanks for the very helpful replies guys!

I'll PM some of you with a youtube vid.

I'm not sure what i want to do.. We could play the popular songs, but i don't think I want the image of 'pop group that 15 y/o girls dance to'. The band of a couple of friends of mine doesn't really play popular songs, but somehow they manage to get everyone jumping and mosh pitting all over the place. I guess i'll have to let go the mentality of 'wanting everyone to like me', but in the end, isn't that why people market their groups? Isn't promoting your stuff on facebook the same as shouting 'Like me! Listen to me! Watch this!'?

If it's metalcore, just play Parkway Drive - Carrion.

But really, start working on originals, good originals. Keep going, eh!
6-String_Madman
20 IQ
Quote by C0FF1NF33D3R
Once a cover band, always a cover band. It also matters what type of music you play. Changing your demographic or what you play sounds like the problem.

One does not simply

start a band by
playing originals right away.
rickyvanh
10 IQ
I'm going to give you the best advice I can.Don't go off half-cocked.What I mean is don't be in too much of hurry to play out.If people are not responding to your band it can only mean one thing.I played in a band in high school with a guy that was trying to get gigs before we had one song down.He couldn't wait.He made a fool out of the whole band again and again.Within six months of practicing every day,we had about twelve songs down and sounded good and had all of our gear figured out.But since this poser needed attention so badly,everyone had already seen us play a bunch of times when we sucked.He did this again and again with other bands.If you want people to like your band your band cannot suck.It's that simple.What you play really doesn't matter as long as you do it good.Good luck with your band.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
Quote by 6-String_Madman
One does not simply

start a band by

Here are your options mate:

1. Originals band

- Write songs
- Perform songs and gain fanbase slowly
- Hire venues, charge door price for people to see you play

2. Covers band

- Learn pre-written songs
- Venues hire you to entertain the audience with songs they know (fanbase doesn't really apply to cover bands)
- On basis of performance, venues hire you again and again

3. Covers band that then changes music to originals

- Follow covers band steps above
- Then play songs that the audience doesn't know
- Audience leaves, venues get angry and don't hire you
- Then follow original band above

So it's best to keep the two separate.
Soundcloud
Dae1337
20 IQ
Hi! Some of you suggested me to send some vids of my group playing so you could give some tips.

These are some vids, the first one i was really ill so i did not sing well. It also isn't a song we play that often because it isn't really dancable, but sometimes we can really surprise the crowd when we pull out that harmonica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45YBgJwb3jo&fea ture=plcp
This is a song the lead guitarist and me sing together, so the singing quality isn't that great because he can't really sing well yet It's quite an awesome song though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k04h5U-meuc&fea ture=plcp
Now these two songs are not really the usual kind of songs we play, most of the times we play upbeat danceable songs but somehow we don't have any video's of them :P
Just judge us by playing, normally we play these kind of songs: (in this case the crowd was drunk so yes they were jumping, still 90% of the times the crowd doesn't).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJZdUSeWxgg&fea ture=plcp

I'm going to give you the best advice I can.Don't go off half-cocked.What I mean is don't be in too much of hurry to play out.If people are not responding to your band it can only mean one thing.I played in a band in high school with a guy that was trying to get gigs before we had one song down.He couldn't wait.He made a fool out of the whole band again and again.Within six months of practicing every day,we had about twelve songs down and sounded good and had all of our gear figured out.But since this poser needed attention so badly,everyone had already seen us play a bunch of times when we sucked.He did this again and again with other bands.If you want people to like your band your band cannot suck.It's that simple.What you play really doesn't matter as long as you do it good.Good luck with your band.

Thanks! It's true, a couple of our first gigs didn't work out that well. But even bands like Queen admitted that their first gigs sucked terribly..?

By the way, these are the songs we play!

1) Free - All Right Now
2) Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
3) Bill Wither - Ain't No Sunshine
4) Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride And Joy
5) Paul McCartney - Twenty Flight Rock
6) The Beatles - Back In The USSR
7) Supertramp - Bloody Well Right
8) The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
9) Pearl Jam – Alive
10) The Black Keys - I got Mine
11) Herman Brood - Saturday night
12) The Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash
13) The Rolling Stones – Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
The White Stripes - You Don’t Know What Love Is
Mountain – Mississippi Queen
The Who – The Seeker
The Raconteurs – Level
Wolfmother – Joker and The Chief
Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Child
Kings Of Leon – Molly’s Chambers
Tame Impala – Half Full Glass Of Wine
Lenny Kravitz – Are You Gonna Go My Way
LMFAO – Sexy And I Know It
Pink Floyd – Young Lust
Cage The Elephant – In One Ear
The Black Keys – Gold On The Ceiling
Sex Pistols – Pretty Vacant
Johnny Thunders – Pirate Love
The Rolling Stones – Love In Vain
Jimi Hendrix – Manic Depression
Last edited by Dae1337 at Nov 15, 2012,
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
Your band is good, but out of those vids you posted only one song was a hit while the audience was still alive. And that was the only song where they were dancing.

It's simply the wrong song choice for your audience.

As for the longer list, it's a list of lesser hits from older bands. You should go for the bigger hits if you opt for the older guys.

However I am sure that if your audience consisted of people in their 30s-50s they would have enjoyed it a lot more.
Soundcloud
HotspurJr
82 IQ
I have to say, I thought your vocal intro to "Level" was terrible - the sort of thing that will actively drive audience members away. You're NOT nailing your pitches and your intonation is terrible.

If I walked in at that moment, I would have turned around and walked right back out.

THe rest of the song is MUCH better, but good god that intro is horrible. The way you guys play the guitar part is abraisive, but then the vocals come in and it just hurts.

You're better than that.

If you've got a full dance floor, and you do that, you'll have an empty dance floor and you might not get it back.

I'd look hard for more moments like that in your set. What are the spots where you are driving an icepick into your audience's ears? Eliminate them.

I'm shocked at how bad that moment is, especially compared to how good you guys are on the rest of the track. But that off-key caterwauling sounds like you actively have contempt for your audience. Given that you guys are otherwise pretty good, you know this, right? You can hear what I'm talking about?
rickyvanh
10 IQ
Alright man,I watched some of your vids.Your list looks good to me.Just practice as much as you can.As far as working the crowd,spread the songs out that get the best reaction strategically.Start strong,but don't blow your load right away.But don't save all the best for last.How to manipulate the crowd is an art in itself.Your band is pretty good,but you can tighten it up a whole bunch.Don't be afraid to dump certain songs that just don't work.You have to find songs that suit your style and vocal range.That takes trial and error.You guys are on the right track,just keep it up!Cheers...
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
160 IQ
Quote by 6-String_Madman
One does not simply

start a band by

My band has apparently done it wrong
Though we tried to learn covers, it just didn't pan out. It was easier to write new songs.

OT, the song choice may not be as big an issue as a much as you going in thinking that the heavens should part for your band alone. The crowd can feel when you harbor a sort of animosity towards them for not dancing to a song that they may not know or may not like. My original band has had new fans dancing, moshing, head banging and all that and we've only played 6 shows so far. We go out with the intention of having a great time and having the audience have a great time, no matter how familiar they maybe with us. Between cover bands and original bands, the similarities are far more numerous than the differences and some people don't recognize that it comes down to you being a performer and giving the audience a good show.

Point is, don't go out with expectations of everyone loving every second. Original bands are up for 30-45 mins. We have a short period to make a big statement and the energy has less time to fizzle away, you guys are up for much longer than that and there is time for you and the crowd to get tired and weary. First few shows won't be awesome for every band, but the whole point of show business is to work out a great show.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
Quote by 6-String_Madman
One does not simply

start a band by

I did. We had CD's available at our very first gig and everything.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
Quote by 91RG350
Yeah a +1 to the "who cares what people think" school of thought. Play for yourselves.

SOOOO wrong-headed. You want to play for yourselves? Plug in in your basement and play for yourselves. Don't bitch that people aren't digging you, because you're playing for yourselves.

You want an audience to like you? Give 'em what they want! That is such an unbelievably simple formula that I can't believe it needs to be pointed out for people.

You are entertainers. You entertain audiences, not yourselves. F*** me.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
@dae1337 - Can't listen on this computer, but looking at your setlist, it has potential. It's certainly better than a lot of bands' setlists out there.

That said, it does seem more targeted at older people. Some of those songs were old when I was 17 and playing in bands.... in 1987. Now they're yet another quarter-century older.

This is something that I'm currently struggling with. That is, finding out what, exactly, IS the demographic that goes out to see live cover bands. I'm sure it varies from venue to venue, but then you have to figure out which venues to play at, because the one that draws your forty-and-fifty-something guys and gals is probably also more of a "hang out and drink cheap drafts" kind of place too. Of course, at that age, the people going out to see bands in bars are probably either musicians (who are notorious for not dancing) or divorced (who might actually want to get up and dance, because hanging out by the pool tables is a bad way to meet chicks - even if they are over forty.)

The venues that draw a younger audience probably means that the average age is about 23, meaning most of them were born somewhere around the time Nirvana's "Nevermind" came out. Stones, Mountain, Free.... man, what's next? The Four Tops?

It really is a tough call.

More productive than wondering why the other bands are getting more people on the dance floor might be looking at what songs people are actually getting up and dancing to. Those ones will be the winners.

I'd guess your Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Kings of Leon are going to be your grabbers, but I'm not sure all of them are the most "obvious" choices. Like, why not "Sex on Fire" for instance? Even among the classic rock artists, you have some more songs that are more like "B sides" that could easily be replaced by other "known quantities." Like "Young Lust" by Floyd. Yeah, sure, good tune. But there are lots of other Floyd songs that are more recognizable to the average person who is not a musician or over 40. (and yeah, that's kind of a tricky one because if you're going to do Floyd, you can't really do "Another Brick in the Wall" unless you do it better than Floyd. But you could do Brain Damage, or Money, or Mother, or Wish You Were Here, etc.)

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 16, 2012,
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
SOOOO wrong-headed. You want to play for yourselves? Plug in in your basement and play for yourselves. Don't bitch that people aren't digging you, because you're playing for yourselves.CT

They an go that way if they want... but they also need to go down the originals band route...

Else.... top 40 covers band stuff.... theres no in between it seems...and I think thats probably right
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
Even if it's all originals, I think it still holds. We've all heard the indie-rock band that just churns out blasts of tuneless, dissonant, sludge with jarring and unpredictable rhythms (so unpredictable, in fact, that not even the band can seem to predict it very well), and then try to pass it off as "we're artists, man... We make our music on our terms. We ain't never gonna sell out."

You can't say that in one breath while b!tching in the next how nobody comes to your shows or gets up and dances or buys your CDs or whatever.

... and yet... a lot of them do find a way to obliviously moan about the paradigm they have created for themselves...

CT

91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Yeah true.... the thing about being an originals band is...youve got to have good songs.... and theres a bunch of drivel passed off as art out there for sure...

Did we just agree..?

Weird....and in MT too....!
Quote by AlanHB
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ

CT

Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.
50 IQ
You won't necessarily know who is going to turn up to a venue to see you. You'll have a better idea, possibly, if you've played there before. Eitherway, if you are a covers band you'll have a repertiore (and you already do) but I would suggest that you need to react to the crowd i.e. swap songs around, drop songs, add songs as you go to try and play what they want you to play.

Example: You've played a couple of tracks, not much is happening on the dance floor. Then you play a track and people are getting up and having a dance. Damn, the next song is a slow ballad. Think, we'll move that song up the set and play other track that should keep those people up and dancing.
cheapr2keepr
10 IQ
I wasn't a fan of the setlist. It was too all over the map. There was a lot of old stuff that'd be great for the 40-50 crowd, but they'd be scratching their bald heads at the other stuff. Conversely, the fresh stuff would be great for a young crowd, but their ADD would send them out for a smoke during the deep classic stuff.

Our band plays mostly covers, and we will spike an original into the mix here and there. As Chris stated, it gets really tough to figure out how to target the audience demographic. I love 80's hard rock/hair metal. It's fun to play and seems to be all about getting drunk/laid. But there are too many out of shape clowns out there wearing wigs, eyeliner, and spandex ( as if it's L.A. circa 1988. As a result, we play 80's hair metal stuff sparingly.

And really obscure covers might as well be originals, or even worse. If only 5 people (including band) know the song, then maybe it wasn't as good a song as you might have thought.
jetwash69
244 IQ
Quote by cheapr2keepr
I wasn't a fan of the setlist. It was too all over the map...

How 'bout this set list?

Hole to Fill
Breaking Out of Hell
Shining Light
Feed My Animal
Trainwreck Zombie
Unbroken
Sold Out
Supermental Beatdown
Soul Exchange
Crazy Love
Angry MF

axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
None of those titles even sound familiar to me. I'd assume you were an original band. If people came out to party and have a good time, they'd be gone before you got all the way through Shining Light. If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.

CT

jetwash69
244 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
None of those titles even sound familiar to me. I'd assume you were an original band. If people came out to party and have a good time, they'd be gone before you got all the way through Shining Light. If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.

CT

Just a little joke, there CT.

That's some of the songlist off cheapr2keepr's MP3 page, hence the lurk smilie.

I thought it was funny how cheapr2keepr was characterizing the 40 - 50 y/o crowd and figured I'd poke a little fun his way.

Edit: BTW, cheapr2keepr's stuff is pretty cool for what it is, IMHO. OK results, all things considered, with really basic recording setup.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Nov 29, 2012,
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
.....If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.....

Would they? What about uber-obscure deep cuts? They wouldnt know the difference....

Not specifically disagreeing with you...just interested in exploring that idea a little....
Quote by AlanHB
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
230 IQ
Okay, so if you came out to see my original band and we pulled out "That's Life" by Helix, you would likely not recognize it.

Unless we told you it was a cover, you would have no way of knowing otherwise, no?

Now fine, if we did that with one song and the rest of our songs were original, that'd still be pretty cool with most people. "Oh, they threw a cover in there and I didn't realize it. Haha. Neat."

But if you came out to see my original band and you found out our whole set list was covers that nobody recognized, would you not feel somehow cheated? Like we misrepresented ourselves? I mean, your intention was to come and see my original band - not my cover band, no?

And if it was your intention to come out and see my cover band, by the time we got to our third song or so and you found yourself not recognizing a damned thing, would you not wonder what the hell we were doing? Sure you would!

CT

91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
50 IQ
Thats my whole point though... Ive got no desire to play in a top 40 covers band..... I'd rather learn a bunch of weird arsed songs with the band while we are developing our own material. I certainly wouldnt claim them as originals.... but nor would I claim to be a covers band and then play material nobody knows....

I guess the bridge between the two types of bands is clear.... write a setlists worth of originals... with maybe a cover or two in there...
Quote by AlanHB
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
^^^ It really depends if you want gigs/cash or not.
Soundcloud
Page 1 of 2