All and all, pretty good. There's bound to be awkward lines approaching the modulations, but you're mostly there. If I had to suggest anything, it'd be to try to do some walking basslines over the changes to really solidify where chord tones are located. Regardless, good job!
Nice lines, very tasty. I wanna say it kinda felt stagnated after a while, but you at least tried something different every now and then. Still, after a couple of rounds, it seemed like you kept going when you showed just about everything. I'm maybe suggesting building it a bit slower, taking some longer breaks to let it breath and get crazy with it at the end. Otherwise, it sounded like you played the changes pretty nice, I dug it, though I'm a total amateur myself so wouldn't put too much value on my opinion.
Last edited by Sanitarium91 at Nov 28, 2012,
Quote by Sanitarium91
Nice lines, very tasty. I wanna say it kinda felt stagnated after a while, but you at least tried something different every now and then. Still, after a couple of rounds, it seemed like you kept going when you showed just about everything. I'm maybe suggesting building it a bit slower, taking some longer breaks to let it breath and get crazy with it at the end. Otherwise, it sounded like you played the changes pretty nice, I dug it, though I'm a total amateur myself so wouldn't put too much value on my opinion.

thanks for your critique and I do put a value on your opinion, you are correct this is the challenge of this tune follow the changes and also make it melodic and interesting. when I improvise this tune I have to 100% focused because the changes are flying by really fast and many times I feel like the changes have the upper hand which lead me to just hit them instead of creating more comprehensive and melodic statements.
Aminor251 thanks for the video, In the beginning when i first tackled the tune. I played with lots of the digital patterns of 1-2-3-5 but it didnt work for me it sounded like an exercise. I think the tough part of the tune is to improvise it melodically. although John coltrane colo over this is genius I prefer his son's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseGhJbgIxo which is much more melodic to me
Hey man whatever works for you go with it, only you know what works. The link was just to provide different insight, take what you can and make it yours! I prefer that solo as well.
woah congratz for even attempting to play this tune, really hard to pull off, i think you did well

just a little comment about your tone, why the chorus/reverb effect ? clean jazz guitar sounds so much better for me

suggestion:
i learned a lot about this tune from this book http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Steps-Guitar-Six-Stringers-Mastering/dp/1423430093 it could help you
Quote by jayx124
Scott 10x for listening, I checked out you versions nice interpretations. you certainly got the chops

Thanks man! I appreciate that you listened!