Page 1 of 2
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Hi, I'm looking for a head upgrade to my V100. I play metal so the obvious choices would be the 6505 or the 5150. But I wanted something a little different. I thought of either Hughes and kettner or a whole new cab and head. Thoughts? Price isnt a huge issue, aiming for around 1500 or less. I live in Australia
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time
103 IQ
Hello. Answering these questions will help everyone to help you. You'e answered some of them already.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Also just for reference the 6505 and the 5150 are the same amp, just as the 6505+ and the 5150 II are the same amp. 5150 is the old name. Peavey just had to rename them when Eddie Van Halen left.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Alright, I didn't know that so thank you.

I play metal. My budget is around 1500 and live in Melbourne Australia. I currently run an LTD MH400, LTD TE202 and a PRS Navarro signature. I have a line 6 HD300 and shure wireless system. I use 10 to 52 gauge strings. The amp will be used for rehearsal and gigging. My current amp is a peavey valveking 100 and I'm looking.to upgrade either the head or the whole half stack, whatever would be better. It's not that there's anything really wrong with it, but the head does go through a few fuses. And I wouldn't mind an upgrade.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
New or used doesbt bother me. Id prefer new though
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Going through fuses normally means that the power tubes are dying.

There seems to be a quite a few 6505 heads within budget on ebay atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Will a 6505 head go well with the valveking cab tho?
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
XXX/JSX would be good options, as well as the 5150/6505, but they aren't as flexible.

i you could find a deal i would say mesa, but i everybody says they are priced insanely out of the US. if you can find a two channel dual rec, or tremoverb you could take that route. another is a mesa mkiv or mkV, i like my MKIV, take a while to get dialed in but they are solid amps.

if you can find VHT/Fryette for a decent price i love my sig:X i paid like $1050 or $1000, and i really like it. three good channels, very flexible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
You still haven't told us what you're playing. Saying you play metal doesn't mean anything. Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are a hell of a lot different tonally than The Black Dahlia Murder and Cannibal Corpse.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Well I consider metal a matter of opinion but we are called metal by everyone who hears our stuff. Imagine a blended test tube baby of parkway drive, bullet for my valentine and a day to remember. That's the best I can describe it.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Genre boundaries are largely opinion, yes. That's the point, that's why you have to tell us specifically what bands you want to sound like.

Anyway, that's pretty cut and dry 6505+/5150 II. Easy peasy.

I know stuff costs a lot more in AU, so keep an eye out for an Orange 4x12 or a Marshall 1960AV. I think those are two you don't get ridiculously upcharged for. Basically anything with V30s will do. Some Line 6 cabs have them and they are very well priced over here.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Yeah I know the peavey range is pretty much the way to go. I was looking at different brands tho such as mesa, crate, Hughes and kettner etc. Most people use orange, line 6 and peavey so I wanted to prove you can get a good guitar sound out of something different. However, in saying that, if those brands are the best way to go, I don't want to sacrifice quality for individuality.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
I'm mainly looking for a head that might match the peavey cab that's better than the VK100 but if a whole new setup is a better option, id rather go for that. If that makes sense
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I have learned this firsthand and I stand by it - your playing makes you unique, not your gear.

I often use the band Gojira as an example, as IMO they're a great one. They use(d) the most common gear for metal you could possibly find. 6505s. JB pickups. Yet because of their playing style, they have one of the most unique tones in metal.

Another band I use is The Dillinger Escape Plan. They use Mesa Rectifiers and EMGs. Along with 80% of all bands that play metal. But their style is unique, which makes them sound unique.

Get gear that gives you a sound you like. Play uniquely to set yourself apart. No one in the audience knows or cares about the difference between amps, only that half stacks are "cool". MG or a Splawn, makes no difference in their eyes. So get whatever works for you.

I know a lot of people want to stay away from 6505s, because a shit ton of bands (usually metalcore*) that use them all sound the same. But that's cause they're all playing the same shit, not necessarily because they're all using 6505s.

*Not going to start a fight about metalcore, I used to be totally into it and I get it, just stating an observation.

EDIT: Stuff.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 26, 2012,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Genre boundaries are largely opinion, yes. That's the point, that's why you have to tell us specifically what bands you want to sound like.

Anyway, that's pretty cut and dry 6505+/5150 II. Easy peasy.

I know stuff costs a lot more in AU, so keep an eye out for an Orange 4x12 or a Marshall 1960AV. I think those are two you don't get ridiculously upcharged for. Basically anything with V30s will do. Some Line 6 cabs have them and they are very well priced over here.

+1

This is more or less exactly what I was going to say, only probably more succinct
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
I asked for advice, the last thing I'm going to do is argue. Haha. I agree completely with what u say. A lot of bands atm play the same guitars with peavey or orange amps, treble all the way up, break down after repetitive breakdown and do that on the spot trot thing for stage presence. Gee it annoys me and that's why I didn't want to go that same amp. I did some research and peavey is the only one that I can afford realistically. But will a 6505 head mmatch the valeking cab okay?

You can YouTube my band to hear the sound if it helps. Pandoran Sky is our name.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
You'd be surprised. A lot of people come on here asking for advice, then end up arguing every single thing anyone says to them. I don't even.

Actually, check out the Peavey Ultra as well. Just the regular Ultra, no the Ultra Plus. I saw one hardcore/metalcore band use one a long time ago, and remember being pleasantly surprised by their tone. I usually don't recommend Ultras for modern metal, but I only really have experience with the Ultra Plus. You may want to check it out. They usually go for quite cheap.

The ValveKing cab will work fine. Just make sure to match up impedance, as always.

How did you get the tone on your recordings? Having owned a ValveKing in the past, I seriously doubt a VK could pull that off.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
I'll have a look at the ultra plus now. Thanks for your help.

I didn't record that with my VK, it was plugged straight into a feeder or something and.the.guitar tone was programmed. We recorded it in my loungeroom with an LTD MH350NT and a PRS Paul allender.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Lol look at the Ultra, not the Ultra Plus.

You can look at both though. You never know what you'll like til you listen.

Good luck~

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by digseed
I asked for advice, the last thing I'm going to do is argue. Haha. I agree completely with what u say. A lot of bands atm play the same guitars with peavey or orange amps, treble all the way up, break down after repetitive breakdown and do that on the spot trot thing for stage presence. Gee it annoys me and that's why I didn't want to go that same amp. I did some research and peavey is the only one that I can afford realistically. But will a 6505 head mmatch the valeking cab okay?

You can YouTube my band to hear the sound if it helps. Pandoran Sky is our name.

If you want to look at some stuff other than the 6505, you can check out the JSX/XXX and the Ultras, as mentioned. Other options you could check out for something a little different are:

Jet City JCA100HDM
Egnater Vengeance
Egnater Armageddon
EVH 5153 (5150 III) Mini
Marshall DSL100 or DSL50 (The JCM2000 Series, not the New DSL C series)

Keep in mind, I'm from the States and I'm clueless about availability and prices down under. I'm sure one of the other guys will correct me if any of these aren't resonable options for you (please do, so I can familiarize myself with what's available there).

The Jet City is Zacky Venceange's (of Avenged Sevenfold) current amp. It'll get pretty heavy on it's own, throw in a boost and you can do Metalcore on it.

The Egnaters are excellent. I can do Metalcore with no issue on my Vengeance. I've never thrown a boost in front of it, but I'm sure if you wanted it any tighter, you could boost it to that. The Armageddon is it's "big brother". I went with the Vengeance because I liked the features more. It tends to be slightly darker than the Armageddon, but I think that might be more of a difference in cabs than the heads themselves.

The 5153 is nothing like the 6505/5150 series from Peavey. It just has a completely different sound to it in general. It's worth checking out if you want to strat away from the 6505 sound.

The DSL's will do Metalcore with a boost. They're all-around great amps. Hatebreed uses the TSL, but I don't recommend it due to their tendency to melt themselves on the inside. The DSL is the better option.

Those are all amps to consider if you want to stray away from the standard of a 6505. In case you aren't aware, when I refer to "boosting" an amp, you take an overdrive pedal like an Ibanez Tubescreamer (or clone) and turn the level to maximum, gain to 0 and tone to taste and run it in front of the amp. It tightens up the response a good bit. The most cost effective version is the DigiTech Bad Monkey, but there are tons of good versions or different options.

In addition to the amp head, with any of the amps recommended, you should factor in the price of a complete re-tube of the amp, to get the best tone out of them. Usually, that will run around $150 - $200. If you have leftover cashafter buying your head and tubes, you could also upgrade your cab. That one will work fine, but you'll probably want to upgrade it at some point.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
If the VK cab has VK speakers then I'd replace that too. I can't even imagine what a 6505 would sound like through a stock VK cab. Focus on getting a new amp first. Try it with your cab and then make a decision. Then come back with a cab budget. I know it is not very 'metal' looking but I'd rather have a really good 212 cab than a mediocre 412 cab. Just sayin'

Otherwise - I agree with what all of these guys are saying.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If the VK cab has VK speakers then I'd replace that too. I can't even imagine what a 6505 would sound like through a stock VK cab. Focus on getting a new amp first. Try it with your cab and then make a decision. Then come back with a cab budget. I know it is not very 'metal' looking but I'd rather have a really good 212 cab than a mediocre 412 cab. Just sayin'

Otherwise - I agree with what all of these guys are saying.

Honestly, though, 4x12's are so much easier to come by used and even new. They're in much higher demand usually, and the price is rarely that much more. I regret buying a 2x12 for these reasons. 4x12's are generally easier to sell and more sought-after. 2x12's also limit the speakers you an use a lot more. I mean, don't get me wrong, 2x12's are somewhat cheaper and definitely more portable and easier on the back while taking up less space, but I would still prefer a 4x12.

I don't know if the deal is still on there, if you guys do the Black Friday thing, or if Musician's Friend is even a thing in Australia, but there is an absolute unreal deal on a Randall 4x12 with Celestion G12T-75's:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/randall-4x12-guitar-cab-w-celestion-g12t-75-speakers

If you can get that, do it asap. You won't get a deal like that again any time soon.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Looks don't bother me at all. Just want good sound. What about a Marshall JVM205H with a 1960A cab?
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
^Don't do it. Some people really like the JVM but I would not get one based on what has been discussed so far.

Plus I've played them and do not like
Quote by Blktiger0
Honestly, though, 4x12's are so much easier to come by used and even new. They're in much higher demand usually, and the price is rarely that much more. I regret buying a 2x12 for these reasons. 4x12's are generally easier to sell and more sought-after. 2x12's also limit the speakers you an use a lot more. I mean, don't get me wrong, 2x12's are somewhat cheaper and definitely more portable and easier on the back while taking up less space, but I would still prefer a 4x12.

I don't know if the deal is still on there, if you guys do the Black Friday thing, or if Musician's Friend is even a thing in Australia, but there is an absolute unreal deal on a Randall 4x12 with Celestion G12T-75's:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/randall-4x12-guitar-cab-w-celestion-g12t-75-speakers

If you can get that, do it asap. You won't get a deal like that again any time soon.

That's a great deal. Not my top pick in speakers but damn good deal. My only point was that if everything boiled down to you getting a good 212 vs a mediocre 412, I'd take the 212.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 26, 2012,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
The 1960A is a fine cab. It's essentially the Marshall version of the one I posted, although the 1960A is angled, iirc.

The JVM I'm not familiar with, but I will say that the consensus that I'm aware of is that Marshall hasn't put out a good amp since the JCM series. Most people that like any modern Marshalls are in the minority, as far as I'm aware.

Just curious, are the list of amps I made in Post #19 available where you're at? I would venture to say that any of those would suit you much better than the JVM.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Some them are but mainly second hand. Jet city is hard to come by though except for eBay, which I obviously have to pay postage for. I read a few reviews and most people say the JVM us good but JCM and DSL are better.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
The only two amps exclusive available down where I live in Victoria and are in my price range are Marshall and peavey and even they are limited. We do have behringer and Roland but I don't think I'd go in that direction.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0

Black Friday in Australia refers to a catastrophic bushfire in 1939 that killed a heap of people. Your black friday follows thanksgiving - we don't have thanksgiving. I had to google "black friday" to know what you guys were talking about.
Musician's Friend does deliver some things to Australia now but unfortunately that cab isn't one of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Black Friday in Australia refers to a catastrophic bushfire in 1939 that killed a heap of people. Your black friday follows thanksgiving - we don't have thanksgiving. I had to google "black friday" to know what you guys were talking about.
Musician's Friend does deliver some things to Australia now but unfortunately that cab isn't one of them.

Thanks, Cath

I know that Thanksgiving is a 'Merica thing, but I wasn't sure if Black Friday was or not.

That sucks about the cab and lack of other availabilities. Sometimes it's easy to forget some of the little things we take for granted here in the States.

TS, if you have Marshall, look for a JCM2000 DSL100 or DSL50. That plus an OD pedal as a boost should serve you well if you're dead set against a 6505.
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
I'm not so much against the 6505, just wanted to try something different if it was possible. But I might look at either a second hand Marshall DSL or JCM with matching cab or a new 6505, depends what comes up.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
A JCM isn't going to get you anywhere near the tone on your recordings outside of a studio. A JVM could, but they're kind of weird and fizzy IMO. I wouldn't use a Marshall period for what you want to play if you're not going to biamp it with anything heavier.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
splawns are getting pretty cheap around here. i have owned both of mine for two years, both the promod and nitro were under a grand.

you can find them at that price in the us. if you could find one in australia you would have it covered. hell if you get one for $1000 in the US, shipping and customs would likely put you at less than your budget. and it would be better than any marshall or peavey (IMO)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
I've never even heard of a splawn. I might do some research. I'm a bit funny about transporting heads from overseas though.

As for the Marshall brand, I would be putting a tube screamer in front of it for sure. I know a few guitarists who use JCM for heavier music with a tube screamer in front of it and it sounds pretty cool.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Maybe an SL-X or a TSL.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
The SL-X would be okay, but the TSL I would avoid, as the have a tendency to melt on the inside.

+1 avoid TSL.

i haven't played an SL-X but supposedly they are extremely similar or identical to the JCM800's. a non modded JCM800 even with boost will not make modern metal if you are aiming anything high gain like a 6505 or JSX/XXX or a mesa dual rec.

don't get me wrong, they sound good, but i don't think its what you are looking for.

could you list some bands you like (i may have missed them so i apologize if you did). metal generally can be iron maiden, acid bath, trivium, children of bodom or cannibal corpse. all very different tones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
EVH 5150III mini
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 avoid TSL.

i haven't played an SL-X but supposedly they are extremely similar or identical to the JCM800's. a non modded JCM800 even with boost will not make modern metal if you are aiming anything high gain like a 6505 or JSX/XXX or a mesa dual rec.

don't get me wrong, they sound good, but i don't think its what you are looking for.

could you list some bands you like (i may have missed them so i apologize if you did). metal generally can be iron maiden, acid bath, trivium, children of bodom or cannibal corpse. all very different tones.

Nah, man. The SL/X has an extra preamp tube. Much higher gain than an 800.
TSL's melt themselves, SL/X's melt your face.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
digseed
Banned
481 IQ
Top three bands are parkway drive, story of the year and a day to remember.

What about hiwatt and blackeart