Page 1 of 2
It has no effect on either. How could taking the back cover off improve the tone?

The reason they take it off is to make it easier to access the springs in the back when one needs to.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
In mycase I changed out hte tone block and it's just a little too long for the cavity. If I have the cover on, the springs push it out.

So I left it off and I'm happy with it like that.
I don't leave mine off just because I'm paranoid that a spring will pop out and hit me in the c*ck.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
I don't leave mine off just because I'm paranoid that a spring will pop out and hit me in the c*ck.

Have you considered shortening your strap?
Some people claim it helps tone but I never noticed anything. I was just too lazy to put it back on after blocking the trem.
how often does one change the springs in the back of a guitar?? i can see adjusting it when you change strings but its not often enough to keep it off

i keep mine on cuz my guitar stand's back support would be holding the guitar right where the springs are and it would **** up my guitar. and shirt or pants can get caught in there, also looks better with it on

apparently its suppose to affect the tone in some way. something about the plastic absorbs some of the tone or some shit like that.some people believe it some dont .....
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
To my ears it has a subtle (though I can't say better or worse) effect on the tone. For whatever reason I've chosen to leave mine off so I guess it sounds better without.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I leave it off because it's more comfortable that way. I don't think there's any tone difference, just an aesthetic and comfort choice.
Quote by Rocketface2112
how often does one change the springs in the back of a guitar?? i can see adjusting it when you change strings but its not often enough to keep it off

i keep mine on cuz my guitar stand's back support would be holding the guitar right where the springs are and it would **** up my guitar. and shirt or pants can get caught in there, also looks better with it on

apparently its suppose to affect the tone in some way. something about the plastic absorbs some of the tone or some shit like that.some people believe it some dont .....

It's not so much about changing the springs as adjusting them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
On my guitars with back plates (All Floyd's, but same thing), I have them velcroed on, that way, I have easy spring access, and the plate can hold my spring mutes in place.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I remove the trem cover because I wear my guitar rather high and it's uncomfortable against my ribs.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by oneblackened
It's not so much about changing the springs as adjusting them.

ok but why is there a need to ever constantly be changing the tension of the springs? like i said its normally done when you change strings, one time, its set its done. of course if you change string gauges. thats different, but still you only set it one time.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
ok but why is there a need to ever constantly be changing the tension of the springs? like i said its normally done when you change strings, one time, its set its done. of course if you change string gauges. thats different, but still you only set it one time.

Different tunings. Some people change it up alot and don't own multiple guitars to compensate.
Mojo. A Strat with the back cover on can't let out the maximum amount of mojo.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by seabear70
Quote by ProphetToJables

Have you considered shortening your strap?

Well, if he doesn't do that, and a spring DOES pop out and hit him in the c*ck, both of his "straps" will be shortened.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I keep it off because it's useless and can only serve to annoy me. That's the same reason I often leave truss rod covers off.

Plus, it's a Strat. I don't even think a strat should be clear coated. To me it's just a workhorse guitar.
They take off the cover so that it is easier to lose. This way, when they sell it to Guitar Center, they won't be able to find the trem cover.

That's why practically every ******* used guitar at Guitar Center has no trem cover. It's a global conspiracy, I tell you!
Quote by Rocketface2112

Quick! someone make a back plate out of mahogany! knowing guitarists they would sell out in a heartbeat
Quote by Addonexus408
Quick! someone make a back plate out of mahogany! knowing guitarists they would sell out in a heartbeat

Give your strat a more rounded tone with our hand made imported mahogany back plate,
Get that dark les Paul tone for only $200 hahaha
all back covers and truss rod covers off on every guitar i own. they are perfectly indexed for each guitar in a Ziploc bag.

i just like it that way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Easyness for string changes is why I do it. The way my trem is set up it's kinda hard for me to reach the block holes to put strings through/take them out if I have the back plate on, so I just keep it off.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
i have a couple of guitars where the holes in the trem cover don't line up with the string slots on the sustain block when i have the trem set up the way i want it, so I just leave the cover off, to avoid having to unscrew it every time i change strings.

i always keep the plate and the screws neatly tucked away in the case.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Guys, just look at all the used Strats on ebay/CL with the back plate missing. Ask the seller WTF happend to it and they always say they lost it. I have been told "Strat players leave it off because it improves the tone." And of course they lost it so if you buy the guitar you have to go scouring ebay looking for parts.

Personally I would never leave the back plate off a guitar, I'm paranoid one spring might pop out and I'd get injured. Just the other day in fact I was making some adjustments on one guitar and one really did pop out! Back plate saved my life!
I took the hidden back plate off of my Tele after reading this thread.

It's ruined now. Thanks.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 4, 2012,
The manual that comes with new Strats says the leaving off the trem cavity cover improves your playing ability by 8%. I tried it. Its true.
Well, I do notice some difference in tone when I take the cover off. And it's much more practical.
Don't take it off!!!

You'll let all the tone out!!!
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I can't play naked with the back plate off anymore since I got my wiener caught in the springs
If they take them off to perform a task on the instrument and replace them when finished (or at least before they sell said instrument, especially to me...) I have no problem with it.

If they take them off and leave them off, it's because they are lazy, useless, illiterate, mechanically inept, syphilis infested twats!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by W4RP1G
I can't play naked with the back plate off anymore since I got my wiener caught in the springs

Redneck Prince Albert.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by W4RP1G

Your belly hair might get caught in the springs! Ouch!
Quote by Huge Guy
Your belly hair might get caught in the springs! Ouch!

Depends on how long the strap is....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ProphetToJables

Amen, if the back is off my RR and I'm sitting, the springs are right next to my boys so if I'm playing like that I put a pillow behind the guitar.

On my RR I just use 2/6 screws for ease of access and the rest have easy access back plates. I think a worn out Strat without out a back plate looks cool but I'd never keep mine off permanently.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Redneck Prince Albert.

And a completely different kind of Wangcaster!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I think it may have started way back during the early days when the b-bender and hipshot tremolo devices were coming on the scene. I remember one old guitar I seen and it had a lever bolted to the sustain block so the player could use manipulate the tremolo without using the bar.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
And a completely different kind of Wangcaster!

Miami (d)Ink
Quote by Axelfox
Page 1 of 2