RiffsanBridges
UG's mentally challenged
510 IQ
I'm getting a mandolin soon, so I've been wondering, which songs are almost essential to learn?
"Since the comprehension of sweet sound is our most indefinite conception, music, when combined with a pleasurable idea, is poetry. Music without the idea is simply music."
- Edgar Allan Poe
TheHydra
421 IQ
There are no "essential" songs for any instrument. What do you like to listen to?
RiffsanBridges
UG's mentally challenged
510 IQ
Quote by TheHydra
There are no "essential" songs for any instrument. What do you like to listen to?

I wrote almost essential, as in songs that are very common. But I like folk rock, some bluegrass and folk metal/viking metal.
"Since the comprehension of sweet sound is our most indefinite conception, music, when combined with a pleasurable idea, is poetry. Music without the idea is simply music."
- Edgar Allan Poe
RiffsanBridges
UG's mentally challenged
510 IQ
Quote by TheHydra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJH0ETi8D4

If you haven't already set your sights on it.

Yeah, I was thinking about learning that one and Going To California.
- Edgar Allan Poe
ffaf12
290 IQ
rem looseing my religion was my first song tis always a good jam
Elderer
UG Member
1,208 IQ
Fellow mandolinist here. Fun instrument and has gotten me few studio sessions and live gigs.

Search on youtube Hoedidle(middle section) and Down to the River To Pray by John Paul Jones.

Id recomend to start with Going to California.Basic slides and doublestops in there.

Nonesuch solo is good to wrap your head around lead parts.
Whiskey Before Breakfast is fun little tune.
xonty
1,500 IQ
Battle of Evermore and Going to California is what i started off on. Theres other stuff like losing my religion and you can kind of learn any violin song on mandolin cos its same tuning.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Suggest a song thread.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud