Page 1 of 3
MY previous thread is nowhere to be found.

Tax time is coming around and I will finally be able to get another Amp after tight money times.

I've pretty much decided bewteen peavey 6505 112 and Peavey xxx 112.

I was wondering if you guys could give some pros and cons for both. Will be playing metal alot of the time. If there are any other suggestions thats cool too. Id like to keep Budget under 500. I have a month or two to decide. xxx ive seen 300-500 different wattages of course. and the 6505 ive seen for as low as $300. Ive heard the 6505 has a shitty speaker. But other than that I dont know much. Thanks in advance.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
What type of metal?

Have you had the chance to play either?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I can't really vouch for the 6505, played the head once in a store for around 5 minutes. IMO, it just seem to lack something when I played it.

I own the XXX head. I use it for anything with gain, mainly Thrash, prog metal, and djent. Way too much gain for my needs, I never go past 12 o clock on either gain channel. They didn't take a TS at all either, and it can get pretty noisy.

I'd say that if you're going to be doing more modern metal, go 6505 (it's the standard for it), if it's just general metal, I think the XXX would be a better suit.

Edit:
The Vyper has models after both of them, use those for a base as to which you think would be better for yourself, and then try the real thing that you prefer.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Last edited by thebestjoe at Dec 13, 2012,
Well, the XXX will have better cleans, and the 6505 has that modern grind you hear in Metalcore-style music. It basically comes down to personal taste, and, as we aren't you, we can really decide for you. If you've got it between two amps, you basically need to go try them both and decide which one you like more. We can't tell you that. The two are very close, and it basically comes down to flavor differences. Idk if the XXX has an effects loop or not, but there have been a lot of stories of people having issues with the 6505 effects loop (inthe 112 version only). It has something to do with the way they split one preamp tube to do two drastically different jobs. Ususally a better tube in that slot will fix it, but you should factor in a tube swap with either amp anyway, seeing as how they're used AND budget amps.

With either one, if you have the $70 to spare, WGS makes some great speakers. They make two V30 clones that you could use in either amp. The Retro 30 and Veteran 30. With those amps, you're probably better off with the Veteran 30, but it's really up to you. They also make a G12T-100 clone, if that's more your style.
the bands Im into vary. I play alot in the style of lamb of god and metallica. also metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, folk, black, symphonic, thrash.. basically i love all the sub genres of metal too.

Thanks for the info. Helps out alot. I have no way of trying either guys. My guitar centers selection of amps is my style. Most tube amps known for blues and stuff like that. another thing that comes to mind is a krank rev jr head. just trying to keep things around 500ish. my only way of doing things is gonna be youtube and wirrten reviews.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Well, the XXX can be pretty treble-y and bright. The 6505 isn't as bright. Both have PLENTY of gain on tap. Basically, if you want good cleans, get the XXX, and if you don't care, it doesn't really matter much. If you need an Effects Loop that is hassle-free, get the XXX, if you don't plan to ever use it, then it's up to you.
Haven't we had this discussion before?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Blktiger0
Well, the XXX can be pretty treble-y and bright. The 6505 isn't as bright. Both have PLENTY of gain on tap. Basically, if you want good cleans, get the XXX, and if you don't care, it doesn't really matter much. If you need an Effects Loop that is hassle-free, get the XXX, if you don't plan to ever use it, then it's up to you.

not a big effect guy. sounds like the xxx is the best option. thanks alot man, you've been alot of help. I always have mesa in the back of my mind. but the price just drives me away. im sure somebody can understand that.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by Cathbard
Haven't we had this discussion before?

not exactly. but the thread before was lost.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
The XXX will be more versatile. Chances are that it will need new tubes though. Run the wrong tubes in them and they sound like shit, even moreso than the 6505. Load up the preamp with JJ's and they are a fantastic amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The XXX will be more versatile. Chances are that it will need new tubes though. Run the wrong tubes in them and they sound like shit, even moreso than the 6505. Load up the preamp with JJ's and they are a fantastic amp.

that would be my first move man.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by gregs1020
every considered a vypyr tube?

LOL. sure they are going for about $200 nowadays.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
my local GC has a mark IV combo for $1350. being a LOG fanboy, very hard to ignore. might as well at least go try it. its been there for months.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Probably because it has problems and GC refuses to lower the price
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
not really. I usually get about 5 k back. but i was hoping to get another guitar for seperate tuning and a new amp. was hoping to be about 1 k for both. maybe a little give here or there. nothing set in concrete. open to suggestions. I only get gear once a year. so yeah pretty open.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Epic Amp > Second guitar for laziness

just saying

Now, obviously if you're talking from E Standard to C standard or Drop B, that's a different story, but also pretty pointless. What band is going to use such radically different tunings? The idea is to establish a sound, which is best done with one tuning. Personally, I use Reaper to pitch-shift all of my songs I play along to into Eb Standard or Drop Db, which is my preferred tuning.

I mean, personally, I would rather have that Mark IV than a XXX and second guitar. If you're really a LOG fanboy, you would be going for a Mark V or Royal Atlantic, though.
Quote by Blktiger0
Epic Amp > Second guitar for laziness

just saying

Now, obviously if you're talking from E Standard to C standard or Drop B, that's a different story, but also pretty pointless. What band is going to use such radically different tunings? The idea is to establish a sound, which is best done with one tuning. Personally, I use Reaper to pitch-shift all of my songs I play along to into Eb Standard or Drop Db, which is my preferred tuning.

I mean, personally, I would rather have that Mark IV than a XXX and second guitar. If you're really a LOG fanboy, you would be going for a Mark V or Royal Atlantic, though.

ohh okay. i like one guitar e standard/drop d and id like to have one d standrd/drop c. i really didnt think there would be a huge difference between mark iv and v. shows what i know. scratch that idea i guess. just ideas man.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Having a second guitar isn't just about laziness. I normally have three on stage. You can't be retuning between songs, you just grab the next guitar and play.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have 4 guitars. Down from 8.

All in different tunnings. Half are FR and can't easily be adjusted.

You can never have too many guitars.

That being said your guitar is decent so you should put your money towards a good amp in my opinion. Have you been to your GC recently? Even the shitty ones stocked up for the holidays. You should swing by and see what they have and don't overlook the used section.

Hell for the money you have you can get a dual rec or mark IV if you don't get a guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by romeozdistress
not exactly. but the thread before was lost.

its hard to lose a thread. go to private messages than my subscriptions.

i can't believe we are at this again. go play something and if you like it buy it.

you have had everything recommended to you at different points.

why didn't you keep the Renegade? they are actually a decent amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by R45VT
I have 4 guitars. Down from 8.

All in different tunnings. Half are FR and can't easily be adjusted.

You can never have too many guitars.

That being said your guitar is decent so you should put your money towards a good amp in my opinion. Have you been to your GC recently? Even the shitty ones stocked up for the holidays. You should swing by and see what they have and don't overlook the used section.

Hell for the money you have you can get a dual rec or mark IV if you don't get a guitar.

yeah ive seen some older mark ivs for like 800-900 range. might be the best idea. they just dont look the hottest. i mean i can justify the big bucks if I dont buy an amp for a long ass time. without a spare guitar i could go 800-900 for a combo. i wouldnt mind. but getting toward bewer mark territory getting kinda crazy. id like to keep it under 900 total if I could.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i can't believe we are at this again. go play something and if you like it buy it.

never had one. had a jet city wasnt for me. sold it go behind in bills and just getting to getting another tube amp.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
If you can afford a Mark IV buy one and think about another guitar later. Forget about what you think it looks like, all that matters is how it sounds and they sound great.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

that was silly6string

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
a mark 3 is a bit cheaper., ill have to research them. ive seen them for $900. i would like to keep it under 1 k. thoughts on a mark 3 or any other mesa amp that good for heavy stuff under 1000? this is a big difference from last time. i was working with $300 lol. im will to go up to 1000 on a good deal.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Dementiacaptian just bought a mark iii.

You can PM him for questions or bump his NAD.

Mark IV is better than the mark three hands down in my opinion. I say this has it has more controls and separate EQ for each channel.

If you don't think it looks good.... First off you are crazy and second what does looks have to so with it?

Not sure if you can be helped....

Also dual rectifiers are going for cheap these days as well. You will need a cab but could get a 2x12 and a rec for 1k.

Also Krankenstein "plus" might be worth looking at. Make sure it is the plus model. The originals were too thin.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 14, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
Dementiacaptian just bought a mark iii.

You can PM him for questions or bump his NAD.

Mark IV is better than the mark three hands down in my opinion. I say this has it has more controls and separate EQ for each channel.

If you don't think it looks good.... First off you are crazy and second what does looks have to so with it?

Not sure if you can be helped....

Also dual rectifiers are going for cheap these days as well. You will need a cab but could get a 2x12 and a rec for 1k.

Also Krankenstein "plus" might be worth looking at. Make sure it is the plus model. The originals were too thin.

ohh I was just talking about a few of the amps I saw from the 90s. thats all. Il check into that thread man. thanks. the mark iv here is 1349. thats alot more than id like to spend. ill just keep looking the next 50 days or so and see what I can find. im also guess the mark 3 with the eq wouldnt be a good idea? i see one of those in good shape for $899.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by romeozdistress
ohh I was just talking about a few of the amps I saw from the 90s. thats all. Il check into that thread man. thanks. the mark iv here is 1349. thats alot more than id like to spend. ill just keep looking the next 50 days or so and see what I can find. im also guess the mark 3 with the eq wouldnt be a good idea? i see one of those in good shape for $899.

i was wondering how you were going to use tax money when refunds don't even get sent until feb-mar at the earliest.

this is going to be a loooooooooooooonnnnnng thread.
LOL. last year i got mine like feb. 5th. so it shouldnt be too long man. seems like a whole new ballpark of potential amp choices with this budget though.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
It will be another 10 page thread. I can. See it already.

Where are you looking for these prices? GC or CL?

Chances are you would be happy with a JSX or 6505 but since you don't want to test them out you won't know. Don't repeat your last mistake. Go to GC and sit and play a bunch of the amp. Play the new DSL, play a 6505, play a PODhd.

Where do you live? We can look on CL for you. Don't be afraid to show up and test an amp. If you don't like it dot buy it. Test, test, test and more testing before you buy. Don't repeat the JC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
And like I said GC stocked up for the holiday season. Now is the time to play. Play everything you can in the store.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
my craigslist is horrible bro. south bend, IN. guitar center might have some cool stuff. they have krank head and mark iv combo they have had for a while. i know I can at least try those out. btw thanks alot guys. id be lost without your help.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Quote by Cathbard
Having a second guitar isn't just about laziness. I normally have three on stage. You can't be retuning between songs, you just grab the next guitar and play.

I retune onstage at every gig. While our vocalist is announcing the next song, our other guitarist and myself will retune between Drop Db and Eb Standard. It takes no more time than switching guitars does.

Like I said, if you're talking open tunings, or drastically different tunings that require multiple strings to be re-tuned, that's different. However, if it came down to "new guitar and decent budget amp" or "Epic as shit amp that is perfect for me" I'm picking option two every day of the week.

Also, I only use one guitar onstage, but I have a backup in it's case within 10 steps of me at every gig, and then I've got a bunch of cheapo guitars at home that "I'm gonna upgrade eventually"
Quote by romeozdistress
my craigslist is horrible bro. south bend, IN. guitar center might have some cool stuff. they have krank head and mark iv combo they have had for a while. i know I can at least try those out. btw thanks alot guys. id be lost without your help.

Yeah try them out. The Krankenstein "plus" is great for all out metal. You can't dail it incorrectly. The mark has less gain but more variety and flexibility. Also a pain in the ass to dail in on channel 3.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by romeozdistress
LOL. last year i got mine like feb. 5th. so it shouldnt be too long man. seems like a whole new ballpark of potential amp choices with this budget though.

really?

when the hell did you file?

i don't even get my forms back until almost feb.

wow.
Quote by gregs1020
really?

when the hell did you file?

i don't even get my forms back until almost feb.

wow.

If he gets 5k back I want his tax guy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
If he gets 5k back I want his tax guy.

or he needs to do his weekly deductions a little differently?

or maybe he wants that big check every year, some people can't save so they do that.

but letting the gov't hold that much of your money every year? no thanks.
I felt my name was mentioned.

The Mark III is sweet. The XXX is sweet. The 6505+ is also sweet. My point here, is that there isn't an amp that isn't awesome for something.

I think you just don't really know what you want right now dude. I would definitely go play that Mark IV, see if that sort of sound would be worth it to you. I think that you would be happy with the 6505+ as well, even with my Mark III and VHT, no matter what new amp I get I still love the 6505+ tone. Just get out there and play dude.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Page 1 of 3