Page 1 of 2
can i use this wire?

lower gauge = thicker wire right?

so that means lesser windings?

cant find any thinner wire than this..

can i just use this? is it possible?
I don't know the exact physics, but 22 gauge wire is impractical, if not impossible for winding pickups. (At least for what you're thinking of.) 42 AWG (American Wire Gauge) is what's typically used and is less than hair thin, so it can be tricky to work with. 43 AWG is occasionally used and requires less windings than 42, but again, that's not as commonly used.
I pride myself on my humility.
im from philippines.. i dont want to order from anywhere that far.. i'll just buy a ready-made..

so sad T_T..
you can't use regular wire.

you need magnet wire for pickups.

it's not hookup wire.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by Wisthekiller
What the **** is magnet wire? Pickups just use solid copper wire.

its coated in a fine enamel layer

according to google
Quote by Wisthekiller
What the **** is magnet wire? Pickups just use solid copper wire.

that's right. pure solid uncoated copper wire.

that's there's no difference between a pickup and just a hunk of copper. it's all conductive and touching each other anyway isn't it.
so guys what do you think? can i just use 22 stranded and take a strand of it?
Quote by tumaeka123

No I would not. Do you have any electronics dealers in your area? Go to them and see if they can

If you want 42AWG wire you can order it from www.Stewmac.com It is a USA site, but people from all over the world order their stuff.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tumaeka123

no. pickup wire is insulated with a special coating.
Quote by tumaeka123
aw so really sad about it ... T_T

any alternatives?

Go to your local electronics parts store. they should beable to order you 42AWG enamel coated wire. They probably won't have it in-stock, but you never know unless you ask.

Also do you have any guitar builders/amp builders or repair shops in your area? If you do go to them and ask if they know where you can order it or have any for sale.

Other than these two options the only other option you have is to order from another country. Like I linked you already www.stewmac.com is a very reputable site. People from all over the world order from them. they can be on the expensive side, but there are many products that they carry that you will have a hard time finding any where else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tumaeka123
can i used the one that is used for rewinding fans?

If it is 42 AWG or 43 AWG enamel coated it will work fine. If not keep looking
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
42 gauge wire is used because it is thin enough to allow thousands of winds to fit onto one small bobbin. Now you can use thinner wire, but it will be horribly underwound (little to no output). I've wound a pickup when I was younger with thin magnet wire I found at radio shack. It worked, but that was really all it had going for it. Try to find magnet wire as close as possible to 42 or 43. As you should know, the larger the number of gauge, the thinner the wire. And it is absolutely necessary that the wire is coated. If it's not coated, the coil will simply short out and not work. To me it sounds like there are some principals of how a pickup works that you have yet to understand.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
42 gauge wire is used because it is thin enough to allow thousands of winds to fit onto one small bobbin. Now you can use thinner wire, but it will be horribly underwound (little to no output). I've wound a pickup when I was younger with thin magnet wire I found at radio shack. It worked, but that was really all it had going for it. Try to find magnet wire as close as possible to 42 or 43. As you should know, the larger the number of gauge, the thinner the wire. And it is absolutely necessary that the wire is coated. If it's not coated, the coil will simply short out and not work. To me it sounds like there are some principals of how a pickup works that you have yet to understand.

you are wrong sir.. the larger number of gauge the thicker.. i know the principle of it already...

how about the link i gave?? is it okay?? pls check it out.. and reply
Quote by tumaeka123
you are wrong sir.. the larger number of gauge the thicker.. i know the principle of it already...

how about the link i gave?? is it okay?? pls check it out.. and reply

WTF? you are contradicting yourself.

You obviously don't or won't listen to anyone here that is trying to help you. If you can not find the 42/43AWG enamel coated wire in your area, you'll have to order from another country.

Hopefully a mod will close this stupid thread.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by LeviMan_2001
The larger the number, the thinner the wire. Period. Look it up. I saw the link, looks like a funky ass magnetic pickup.

how does it work?? i tried searching everywhere and it is not the same like what i searched...

hmm is that an alternative way in making pickups?
Look theres probably a bit of wire in that pickup but i really doubt youll be able to recover it without breaking it- !€in order to make a pickup you need a big ass roll of magnet wire. A ton of ut because u will breaka ton of it ur first times
Quote by AcousticMirror
Look theres probably a bit of wire in that pickup but i really doubt youll be able to recover it without breaking it- !€in order to make a pickup you need a big ass roll of magnet wire. A ton of ut because u will breaka ton of it ur first times

yah i know..

but may i know how the link gave is made? (i mean the pickup not the link)
Quote by tumaeka123
yah i know..

but may i know how the link gave is made? (i mean the pickup not the link)

You put [/URL.] around the web address, but without the periods in the brackets.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jan 2, 2013,
Thats just a single coil pickup the wire is wrapped inside the casing. You only took off the baseplate in those picture
Quote by AcousticMirror
Thats just a single coil pickup the wire is wrapped inside the casing. You only took off the baseplate in those picture

no sir.. it is made differently.. i dont know how it is made...

i opened it and instead of magnet at the bottom with wire at the side, it is magnet in the middle acting as the slugs also with somewhat look like a magnetic belt at the side..
Ya single coils use the magnetics as the slugs

Is that pup meant to be hooked up to a battery? if not theres will be a wire coil inside
Quote by tumaeka123
no sir.. it is made differently.. i dont know how it is made...

i opened it and instead of magnet at the bottom with wire at the side, it is magnet in the middle acting as the slugs also with somewhat look like a magnetic belt at the side..

If you'd quit arguing every single thing that is said and ask questions instead, you'd probably get more help.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
oh really sorry... it's just that i never saw something like this on the internet

what i always see there is

magnet at the bottom screw/slugs on the middle then coil on side...

sorry really..
that's what i mean.. thank you....

mine is not using pole pieces.. instead a magnet as you can see in that thread...

then instead of a coil it is using like a magnetic belt not a 42/43 awg wire.....

hmm what do you think guys??
Quote by tumaeka123
that's what i mean.. thank you....

mine is not using pole pieces.. instead a magnet as you can see in that thread...

then instead of a coil it is using like a magnetic belt not a 42/43 awg wire.....

hmm what do you think guys??

Sometimes they wrap the coils in a kind of cloth tape.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
ohhh.... is that so???

hmmm.. back to the question again guys...

so there is no 42 here really..

our thinnest is 22 on wherever electronics shop downtown....

hmmm what if i buy stranded and get a strand of it and just coat it maybe? with wax?? then start winding.. hmmm what do you think guys??

i wish it would work...
Page 1 of 2