after a 2 week hiatus in the tracking world of the interwebz she finally showed up today.

bastards played her before i did. noooooO!!!!!

although the box had been opened the guitar was still bubble wrapped in it's bag so i don't think it was actually played unless customs agents play in drop Q.

very happy with it so far. i need to change out the strings and put the new brass saddles on later this week when they arrive.

it's an early to mid '80s tokai TE-50. i bought it based on 3 crappy pics on a yahoo japan auction on 11/28 and it finally arrived today after being in customs for 2 weeks. yes there is a risk in doing this and i don't recommend trying it unless you are ok with the fact that you may not get a great guitar. i've done it twice now and gotten lucky both times. my other tokai is a 1979 LS-60 les paul reborn.

fit and finish is very good. it's got it's mojo from being an old guitar, i wouldn't really say vintage but some may. to hold it you can tell it's a quality guitar. also it has almost zero fretwear.

the tone is great, spot on tele in your head tone. it's not really harsh like a lot of newer teles. with the tone knob backed off to about 7/10 it's in a sweet spot where it can do pretty much everything you throw at it.

i'm not crazy about the finish on the fretboard but i probably only feel it because the strings are slinky as hell. i need to put some heftier strings on and see how that feels. can't wait to rip some slide on this piggy.

rock out! \m/
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
That's freaking sexy. Damn, I wish Tokai was a regular brand here in the states.
I hate when DHS goes through packages like that. In fact it's the fifth instrument that was checked by DHS that I saw today.

Anyways HNGD!!
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Dec 18, 2012,
Thanks guys.
Quote by SomeBlueKind
How's the intonation on it? The saddle positions seem a bit unconventional.

Only the a string is off. I have new saddles coming for it so I'll go through it later this week.
total sexay
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Nice! I have used Yahoo Japan before (I used to live in Tokyo) but from what I remember most sellers won't ship overseas, they usually won't deal with Paypal etc.

Next time I am in Japan I will definitely do some guitar shopping, they have some amazing stores over there...
Last edited by Huge Guy at Dec 18, 2012,
^^ thanks jen!
Quote by Huge Guy
Nice! I have used Yahoo Japan before (I used to live in Tokyo) but from what I remember most sellers won't ship overseas, they usually won't deal with Paypal etc.

Next time I am in Japan I will definitely do some guitar shopping, they have some amazing stores over there...

you can use jauce.com or rinkya.com and bid on those auctions from anywhere. or buy off of ishibashi in the u-box section, digimart, others...

Yay!!!

Its here! Its finally here!!!!

Glad you're happy with it dude

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
awesome. was looking forward to this
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

HNGD!

Looks classy.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thanks guys, i've been looking forward to it since Nov 28th.

this should be here tomorrow.

i'll probably just use the saddles off of it.

tele's HAVE to have brass saddles.
Quote by Ippon
Looks sweet. Congrats!

IpponEdit: I noticed that your string tree is rounded while mine is the more modern, wing-type. It also has MIJ near the neck heel ala Fender MIJ.

thank ippon.

my tree is the right one for the 50's ri, yours may just be a straight up modern tokai tele. we can track down a year of mfg by the serial number.
yeah the newer tokais have the "MIJ" on the neck heel, the older ones have the model number sticker like greg's. No idea when they switched, though

EDIT: just looked... mine has the modern string tree. But the 50s-style 3 brass saddles.

SOMEONE CALL THE MOJO POLICE!
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 19, 2012,
i'm not up on the modern versions. ippon must have a newer one then.

i've got this "old mij stuff is better" thing in my head.

i have to stop reading the internet.
i honestly don't know. the only older one i've tried is my strat copy. which is really nice (but needs a refret). It's also a higher st80 model. So it's not really a fair test.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Upon my return from living in the Middle East in the early 1990s, I had to have my Gibson Reverse Firebird and Alvarez Yairi guitars shipped back in crates. Although Delta let me check them in when I flew over, the Saudis wouldn't allow me to take them with me when I left. Cost me $1,000 to have them shipped back. Extortion is what it was.

There was no DHS back then but some of my personal belongings had been pilfered upon my picking up the guitars and one other large container with clothing in it. The guitars weren't touched as best I could tell since they were still in the wooden crates that I saw them put in when before living the Saudi Arabia.

I don't know what type of disinfectant you could use on your guitar to get the DHS scum that was most certainly left on it after they pawed it, but I wouldn't take any chances. They are an infected lot for sure.
^ yeah extortion sucks.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i honestly don't know. the only older one i've tried is my strat copy. which is really nice (but needs a refret). It's also a higher st80 model. So it's not really a fair test.

i would say using and older higher model is the perfect test, i just don't have any of the higher models.

but the lower models i do have are pretty freakin' sweet.

my bridge came so i gotta do a set up later tonight.
^ I mean i only have a newer lower model to compare it to plus the fact the older ones needs a refret and the newer one doesn't. I'd be comparing nitro to poly, which isn't really fair, and brand new frets to, er, not brand new frets.

and oh yeah even the lower MIJs are pretty good. In fact, that's arguably their achilles heel- while the higher end models use more mojo components and wood, they're so little better in terms of the quality of the manufacture/tolerances/QC that it's debatable if they're worth it.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah even the lower MIJs are pretty good. In fact, that's arguably their achilles heel- while the higher end models use more mojo components and wood, they're so little better in terms of the quality of the manufacture/tolerances/QC that it's debatable if they're worth it.

that's exactly why i don't go for the higher end models.

a LS-80 or 100 was $600-800 more than i paid for my LS-60.

a TE-80 is $1000 more than i paid for my TE-50.

for the (to me) minor differences in the models, the mojo of having the upper scale isn't worth the cost.

you're exactly right.
got my saddles on, restrung with 9's, intonation set.

pretty sure next time it's getting 10's.

Do want.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by gregs1020
that's exactly why i don't go for the higher end models.

a LS-80 or 100 was $600-800 more than i paid for my LS-60.

a TE-80 is $1000 more than i paid for my TE-50.

for the (to me) minor differences in the models, the mojo of having the upper scale isn't worth the cost.

you're exactly right.

yeah

my st80 (far as i'm aware) was roughly the same price as the cheaper models (it might be a partscaster as well). But i wouldn't have paid double for it or anything like that.

nitro might be worth a little extra... it does feel that bit nicer (no idea about tone). but again, i wouldn't pay loads more for it.

EDIT: sweet saddles, that looks a lot better now
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Man, I love that thin skin look on a Tele.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
^ me too rooster, but it is a poly finish.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

my st80 (far as i'm aware) was roughly the same price as the cheaper models (it might be a partscaster as well). But i wouldn't have paid double for it or anything like that.

nitro might be worth a little extra... it does feel that bit nicer (no idea about tone). but again, i wouldn't pay loads more for it.

EDIT: sweet saddles, that looks a lot better now

the differences between the models i described is pretty much nitro and number of pieces the body is made of. (also headstock angle and fret edge binding on the LP)

i can't say i'd ever be able to hear the difference between a one piece back LP and a two piece back LP. nor between a 2 piece body tele and a 3 piece body tele.

i can feel the difference between a light weight and heavy one, everyone can. can we hear a difference that can be directly attributed to the wood though? i'm guessing no.

so essentially for the sake of nitro, the added upcharge wouldn't be worth it no me. in each case i can get the lower model guitar refinished in nitro locally for less. (by a shop i know the work of, and know i'd be happy with the job).
^ yeah. i mean my tele is 2-piece centre-joined, which is cool for tgp-style bragging, but I'd agree, can i hear the difference? i doubt it.

way i see it i might as well have supposedly "higher end" features if i'm paying the same price (like, give me the option of 2-piece or 3 piece at the same price and i'll take the 2-piece, everything else being equal), but it's not worth obsessing over either.

and obviously i'd rather have a good 3-piece-bodied guitar than a bad 2 piece, lol.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman