Poll: Do you believe in 'human copyright'?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe in 'human copyright'?
Yes
41 73%
No
8 14%
I'm not sure
7 13%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 2
An absurd argument in the feminism thread sparked me to create this thread.

Do you believe that humans have a sort of 'copyright' to their unique genetic make-up? That is, when we become capable of human cloning, do you believe that a person should have the ultimate authority as to whether or not they are cloned? Why or why not?
It was my privilege
Quote by willT08
Why would there be a scenario where you're being cloned against your will?

Sex dungeons.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by willT08

It was my privilege
The best thing to do is send yourself sperm samples in the mail. You need to prove authorship, after all.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Quote by willT08

yeah i'm kind of confused too.

my instinct tells me that no people do not have a sort of copyright to their genetic makeup.
Quote by CG Man16
Sex dungeons.

The slave with the best pussy gets cloned?

I don't get it.
Quote by due 07
yeah i'm kind of confused too.

my instinct tells me that no people do not have a sort of copyright to their genetic makeup.

Imagine a store full of genetic bottles of celebrities that people could go into to buy the appearance of their children. The scenario isn't important, though. It's a question about rights.
It was my privilege
Quote by willT08

It's like if you really don't want to be cloned but someone really wants to clone you anyway. What if you're like Morgan Freeman and somebody wants to make a clone of you so that they can have the clone narrate their whole life, but you don't want to have clones made because then the clones might try to pose as you when they're not the real you?
*your ad here*
Quote by StewieSwan
Imagine a store full of genetic bottles of celebrities that people could go into to buy the appearance of their children. The scenario isn't important, though. It's a question about rights.

yeah like lattes said, if someone was making money off yr image then that's dumb, but if they're not making money i think it should be fair game. like if i had the infrastructure to clone, i should be able to clone whoever i want (hypothetically).
I'd be okay with being cloned if they weren't doing anything ****ed up like harvesting my clone's organs.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by willT08
The slave with the best pussy gets cloned?

I don't get it.

Take attractive people's DNA ->sex dungeon.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Sure why not.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'd be okay with being cloned

That's not the question though. If I were to steal a hair follicle or something from you and clone you, would you view that as a violation?
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
That's not the question though. If I were to steal a hair follicle or something from you and clone you, would you view that as a violation?

Anyone that says no is lying.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by StewieSwan

Oh, well no I wouldn't much care for that.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by CG Man16

Oh I see.

So is the problem that you're taking away opportunities of employment for attractive people?
Quote by CG Man16

Seems legit. I'm failing to see what's wrong here.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Seems legit. I'm failing to see what's wrong here.

Seems all fine and dandy at first, but then then BAM! syphilis.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
I don't like the idea of there being more than one me. It makes my balls swell. If that was to happen, i'd kill the clone of myself brutally as a form of legal justice.
I don't know about "rights."

However, if you're gonna clone somebody, I think it's better to clone someone with their consent that they don't mind their genetic make-up being copied, rather than somebody with no knowledge about it whatsoever. It doesn't even seem hard to do.
Quote by CG Man16
Seems all fine and dandy at first, but then then BAM! syphilis.

Nigga that's why you wear a condom.

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Nigga that's why you wear a condom.

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

Can I cloewn u? lul
Unless it's for myself, I probably wouldn't appreciate it.
Come to think of it, I can't think of why anyone would want a clone of me to begin with.
Unless they clone me just to see my rad dance moves.

They're not all that rad.
Okay, I don't dance at all. I got nothing.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Genotype =/= phenotype.

If you want to have a child that looks like Ellen Page, you're going to have to replicate the conditions in her mothers womb as well. This is impractical.

What would make more sense is to create a set of "perfect DNA" in which all the best alleles are selected. You could fine tune for arbitrary things like hair colour and height.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Leave it to feminazis to provide unrealistic scenarios to advance their dogma, and in any event, if you're throwing darts Family Guy-style for topics to pair with sex-trafficking to see if it's still ok or not, you are a seriously ****ed up individual, lol.
Quote by The Madcap
I don't know about "rights."

However, if you're gonna clone somebody, I think it's better to clone someone with their consent that they don't mind their genetic make-up being copied, rather than somebody with no knowledge about it whatsoever. It doesn't even seem hard to do.

What about cloning the clone? Would the original "own" the clone, or would the clone be free to make its own independent decision as to whether it wants to be cloned or not?

After cloning, would the clone be, in any way, inferior to the original? Would it face social stigma because the clone would be regarded as a byproduct of the original, and not an independent, sentient being? Would it be insensitive and/or politically incorrect to call the clone a clone?

So many questions.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Would it be insensitive and/or politically incorrect to call the clone a clone?

Yes, the appropriate term is Duplicate-American.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Quote by Fat Lard
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes, the appropriate term is Duplicate-American.

That's offensive. We'll call them unique individu-aw fuck...
It was my privilege
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Why not just American?

Because their duplicated-ness is an integral part of their cultural identity which needs to be celebrated and not marginalized. Check your privilege.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Quote by Fat Lard
Considering the clone would be their own person and not me, I don't really care about who clones me. There's no legal argument for it anyway, my genetic code isn't my own creation. You can argue that to take the DNA would be illegal if it's from drawing blood etc, but as for copyrights, no. I'm kind of surprised people in The Pit on UG are in favor of more copyright laws..
Quote by due 07

And why wouldn't they? It's the individual's body, after all.

It's fine for women to say that they can get abortions because it's their body. Why wouldn't it be fine for anyone to say that their genetic material is part of their body and therefore they have a "copyright" on it?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 31, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And why wouldn't they? It's your body, after all.

It's fine for women to say that they can get abortions because it's their body. Why wouldn't it be fine for anyone to say that their genetic material is part of their body and therefore they have a "copyright" on it?

Because it's not in your body.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
Because it's not in your body.

Last I checked, your DNA (which is certainly where your genetic make-up is recorded) is in your body.

Now, if we're just talking, "I want Christian Bale's hair, and John Smith's nose and...", then I see no issue with that. However, if we're talking DNA, then the individual certainly has a right to determine whether they can use their DNA to clone them.
Page 1 of 2