Page 1 of 2
I just got the offer a few hours ago, I'm so happy
After an awful, awful 2012, finally something happened to make stuff start turning around for me.
5 more years of study and I'll be a doctor
Anyway, are any other denizens of the pit in med school? Advice, warnings, or other comments?
Quote by TEK34
Oh good, from now on I'm definitely bringing all my medical complaints to the pit from now on.

Awesome, I don't start for another month and a half though, so wait until then. If you follow my advice, there will only be a small chance of death.
Quote by TEK34
Oh good, from now on I'm definitely bringing all my medical complaints to the pit from now on.

This.

I have a feverish neck wound from a hobo down the street. Should I devour the neighborhood now or later?

Also congrats.
If you're within driving distance, I'll try and break an arm so you can get some practise giving people morphine.
Quote by Nelsean
This.

I have a feverish neck wound from a hobo down the street. Should I devour the neighborhood now or later?

Also congrats.

I just consulted my textbooks from the previous year, and yes, that's the correct course of action.
Congratulations, dude!
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
ew cadavers
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
have fun cutting up your friend's dead grandpa.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I an sorry to inform you but it takes longer than 5 years. At least if you want to become specialized.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Congrats, man. Glad to hear this.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Quote by Neo Evil11
I an sorry to inform you but it takes longer than 5 years. At least if you want to become specialized.

Implying that med schools are identical all over the world.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
Implying that med schools are identical all over the world.

Would be strange if it takes you 8 years here and 5 years there for the same title. that would induce immigration towards his program and then they cone back here to reapbthe extra incone because here the doctors would get paid more because they sacrificed extra lifetime income.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
be sure to take advantage of your access to medication nahm sayin
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Would be strange if it takes you 8 years here and 5 years there for the same title. that would induce immigration towards his program and then they cone back here to reapbthe extra incone because here the doctors would get paid more because they sacrificed extra lifetime income.

yup
Let me know when you get your degree, I'd get a $50,000 referral bonus where I work to get you in here.

We can split it and you can pay off a little of that med school loan.

Congrats.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Neo Evil11

In america as far as i know, you take a 4 year degree, then get accepted into med school, which takes 4 years. Your first 4 year degree doesn't have to be at all related to science or anything liek that. All the med stuff is put into the 4 years, then you move on to internships etc

Here, you do a hyper-competitive first year of biomedical science, then if you get accepted, you do med school for 5 years before graduating. Then you move on to internships etc.

Different systems

It's 6 years actually, counting the first year biomedical science, then 5 years of med school. And yeah, thats a problem in NZ, people come here all the time for our med schools, graduate, and then move overseas where they can get payed more. It's not because it take 2 years less than some other countries (Since you dont have to get a whole degree before getting into med), it's because its cheap. Medical school fees are heavily subsidized by the government. You only pay $14,000 a year, so at the end, you have a LOT less debt than you would if graduating in some other countries (Eg, USA). So people come here, train at a world-class medical school, pay a quarter or less than what people overseas would pay, then run off overseas and earn heaps.

It's a major issue here. We currently have a shortage of doctors because so many people move to Australia once they graduate to earn more money.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
In america as far as i know, you take a 4 year degree, then get accepted into med school, which takes 4 years. Your first 4 year degree doesn't have to be at all related to science or anything liek that. All the med stuff is put into the 4 years, then you move on to internships etc

Here, you do a hyper-competitive first year of biomedical science, then if you get accepted, you do med school for 5 years before graduating. Then you move on to internships etc.

Different systems

It's 6 years actually, counting the first year biomedical science, then 5 years of med school. And yeah, thats a problem in NZ, people come here all the time for our med schools, graduate, and then move overseas where they can get payed more. It's not because it take 2 years less than some other countries (Since you dont have to get a whole degree before getting into med), it's because its cheap. Medical school fees are heavily subsidized by the government. You only pay $14,000 a year, so at the end, you have a LOT less debt than you would if graduating in some other countries (Eg, USA). So people come here, train at a world-class medical school, pay a quarter or less than what people overseas would pay, then run off overseas and earn heaps.

It's a major issue here. We currently have a shortage of doctors because so many people move to Australia once they graduate to earn more money.

The more you know
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Well done buddy! I'm a 2nd year med student in England, not sure how the course differs over there but be prepared for the hardest studying you've ever done, it's made easier by the majority of it being interesting though so don't worry too much.

My main advice is just to get stuck in with as much as possible, go to guest lectures, join a sports team, go to post mortems, join a society and go on all the nights out (at least here in Manchester the medical school has by far the most debauched nightlife, probably because everyone gets to know each other very well in comparison to most courses where you tend to be better friends with the people you're in halls with). Doing things other than medicine is essential as it quickly becomes your whole life.

By thankful if you have the opportunity to dissect cadavers, you'll realise how difficult it it to tell anything apart in the body, it all looks the same!

Most of all just enjoy, you've done very well to get a place so don't ruin it by only focussing on work (although don't neglect it). You're almost guaranteed to become a doctor after getting into med school as you've proved that you're intelligent enough and the support system is superb as the universities generally put a hell of a lot of money into the med school.

Also, in England the degree is just 5 years and I pay £3200 a year (although that has risen to £9000 for everyone who started last year.

Need any more advice on things like books or just general info let me know!
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Try European systems. I heard that in many of the EU states you don't have to pay for studying medicine - or most other courses.

If I recall it correctly, the whole way down the road (time at university, internships) costs ~300k $ in Germany of which the state covers 90% = 270k $.

Dunno if the public universities can compete with private academies though.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Well done buddy! I'm a 2nd year med student in England, not sure how the course differs over there but be prepared for the hardest studying you've ever done, it's made easier by the majority of it being interesting though so don't worry too much.

My main advice is just to get stuck in with as much as possible, go to guest lectures, join a sports team, go to post mortems, join a society and go on all the nights out (at least here in Manchester the medical school has by far the most debauched nightlife, probably because everyone gets to know each other very well in comparison to most courses where you tend to be better friends with the people you're in halls with). Doing things other than medicine is essential as it quickly becomes your whole life.

By thankful if you have the opportunity to dissect cadavers, you'll realise how difficult it it to tell anything apart in the body, it all looks the same!

Most of all just enjoy, you've done very well to get a place so don't ruin it by only focussing on work (although don't neglect it). You're almost guaranteed to become a doctor after getting into med school as you've proved that you're intelligent enough and the support system is superb as the universities generally put a hell of a lot of money into the med school.

Also, in England the degree is just 5 years and I pay £3200 a year (although that has risen to £9000 for everyone who started last year.

Need any more advice on things like books or just general info let me know!

Thanks for the info!
I have heard that the social aspect at the Auckland Medical School is amazing. Freshers camp is next month, which is apparently 3 days of drinking, partying, swimming, sport, and generally being rowdy. I'm definitely looking forward to that side too :p. And ill never stop playing guitar or exercising, so I have things outside of medicine too.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I just got the offer a few hours ago, I'm so happy
After an awful, awful 2012, finally something happened to make stuff start turning around for me.
5 more years of study and I'll be a doctor
Anyway, are any other denizens of the pit in med school? Advice, warnings, or other comments?

Hey man.

I got a little wart thing on my left butt cheek, can I PM you a picture and get your diagnosis?

Thnxman.

Nah but really dude, good job!
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by Philip_pepper
Hey man.

I got a little wart thing on my left butt cheek, can I PM you a picture and get your diagnosis?

Thnxman.

I'll need pictures of your dick as well. For medical purposes. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I'll need pictures of your dick as well. For medical purposes. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

For you, babe, anything.
Quote by Philip_pepper
For you, babe, anything.

Ty, I'll have a diagnosis in 3-5 minutes, that's usually enough to get the job done and everything cleaned up.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Ty, I'll have a diagnosis in 3-5 minutes, that's usually enough to get the job done and everything cleaned up.

Just got into med school and already abusing patients........
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666

Practice makes perfect.
Quote by slash_GNR666

Yeah well maybe some people like to be ubused.
Congratulations! I'm a medical student in the UK, it's great feeling isn't it? It's a lot of work, but an absolute blast during it.

Make sure you have something recreational - guitar, the gym, whatever - medicine can take over your entire life. Also get involved with non-medics as well, we're a clique-y bunch at times.

Still, well done!
Gear:
Schecter Syn Custom
Deacon Acoustic
Peavey Audition 20
Have to ask, are you doing it for the love of people or the love of personal achievement?

I know dozens of med students and its no small number who have highly questionable motives... not making any assumptions about you here but it really irks me.
Quote by Diamond Dave
Have to ask, are you doing it for the love of people or the love of personal achievement?

I know dozens of med students and its no small number who have highly questionable motives... not making any assumptions about you here but it really irks me.

What's wrong with the love of personal achievement? If I had gone into it I would have done it because of that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Well ideally I would say you'd want to go in it for both. The personal sense of achievement that comes from helping other people

It's not entirely narcissistic.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Neo Evil11
What's wrong with the love of personal achievement? If I had gone into it I would have done it because of that.

perhaps I should have phrased that differently... lets just say it shouldn't be the only or most significant reason.

people doing medicine for the status of doing medicine are imbeciles and destined to be shitty doctors. Your end game has to be helping people is my point, I know too many people who are only in it because they see it as a more reliable/lucrative source of income than being a lawyer/<insert I only care about money job here>/etc. EDIT: and because they think it is the most impressive thing you could say you do at a dinner party...

Quote by mulefish
Well ideally I would say you'd want to go in it for both. The personal sense of achievement that comes from helping other people

It's not entirely narcissistic.

exactly
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by Diamond Dave
perhaps I should have phrased that differently... lets just say it shouldn't be the only or most significant reason.

people doing medicine for the status of doing medicine are imbeciles and destined to be shitty doctors. Your end game has to be helping people is my point, I know too many people who are only in it because they see it as a more reliable/lucrative source of income than being a lawyer/<insert I only care about money job here>/etc. EDIT: and because they think it is the most impressive thing you could say you do at a dinner party...

exactly

You mean there are lawyers out there who are supposed to like being a lawyer? :O
Quote by Diamond Dave

exactly

What if you like the job, not because you help people but it is exciting and takes a lot of knowledge and skill? I don't think you should/can make these generalized statements.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Philip_pepper
You mean there are lawyers out there who are supposed to like being a lawyer? :O

Nah, that's not what I was suggesting, lawyers are obviously even worse for it.

That's half my point though, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up how many say "a doctor or a lawyer"? Quite a few I'd wager, as if they're remotely similar careers... good way to spot an asshat IMO.

But I digress, my sincerest congratulations to TS, really! I've just met that many asshats doing med it bothers me...
Page 1 of 2