So I came up with a cheap solution to dampen the noise that the springs make on a floyd rose.

Plasti dip. it works so far and greatly suppresses the annoying sound
Attachments:
20130108_212807.jpg
Interesting! Any issues with tuning?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
To those asking why: Sometimes the springs resonate at particular frequencies, making unplugged playing really annoying.

About the tuning issues, I don't think it will create any as the paint layer is softer and more malleable than the strings to affect their movement in any way. However let's wait for the TS to answer that from his personal experience.

Nice idea TS!
its cool, but i am unsure how it would hold up. and if it restrains the springs from returning could get it out of tune.

let us know. cool idea
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ok, after week of using these springs, there is a significant reduction in noise. Reducing the noise was what i was going for here but i found that it also has some draw backs.

1. The tremolo bar is harder to manipulate

2. You can't make the tremolo flutter.

other than that, it worked perfectly as planned. Tuning it is just the same as well. Also I didn't notice any sustain loss either.

I took it off because i was basically unhappy with my fr not being able to flutter like it's supposed to.

I'm going to try heat shrink tubes next and if that doesn't work then i'll just give and buy the noise canceling springs from fr upgrades
Quote by kohit7
Ok, after week of using these springs, there is a significant reduction in noise. Reducing the noise was what i was going for here but i found that it also has some draw backs.

1. The tremolo bar is harder to manipulate

2. You can't make the tremolo flutter.

other than that, it worked perfectly as planned. Tuning it is just the same as well. Also I didn't notice any sustain loss either.

I took it off because i was basically unhappy with my fr not being able to flutter like it's supposed to.

I'm going to try heat shrink tubes next and if that doesn't work then i'll just give and buy the noise canceling springs from fr upgrades

Try wax instead first.
Quote by sytharnia1560
i've never noticed any noisy springs on any of my tremolo'd guitars

The only guitar I own that has any term noise is my ibby. It's got an edge-III. The noise is from damn thing is starting to wobble. Which is typical of cheap Floyd knock offs.

My Jackson doesn't suffer from any term noise.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Slit a piece of rubber tubing about the same diameter as the springs, slide it over the spring. It doesn't restrict the spring at all.
You just need to suppress vibration, right? Why not use a pad under the springs, stuck to the bottom of the route, just thick enough to touch the springs? You may want to try a resiliant but dense foam, something like mouse pad foam, sliced to the correct thickness. You could probably get away with a thin strip just contacting the middle of the springs.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B