dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
I'm in an unusual position.

As of Monday, I'll be sending a check as downpayment on a limited edition guitar from a small company in another state and- oddly- it does not come with a case.

This will be the first time in a decade that I've bought a guitar without a case. The first was a Dean EVO, but the retailer had an Epiphine case that fit perfectly. In fact, he had picked it out before I had even arrived to pick up the guitar.

No chance of that happening this time.

So now I have to do something I've never done before- shop for a freakin' guitar case.

Those who have done so: do you bring the guitar along for the ride or do you just use measurements? Is buying one online practical?

Note: All of my guitars have hard cases- I don't trust gig bags- and most of my guitars are either in Gators or have cases that were designed for them, so fit is perfect.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 10, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
glass2012

*Spammer BS*

Somehow, I don't think North Face Jackets will help me, discounted or not, real or fake...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ i'd be worried that my new guitar might get cold while trying to climb a mountain

can't help about the case thing, i've never bought a separate case (well aside from a cheapo gig bag) either.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

charlie__flynn
sex...beer...charlie!
330 IQ
I've only ever bought a hard case for an acoustic and seeing as theyre all similiar shape/ size I could just buy a standard case without bringing the guitar with me and it was fine.

A quick look online came up with this: http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3139-4661
although you may want to do some looking around as that is quite expensive.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
What guitar is it?
Does that company offer a case you can buy seprate?
Is it an odd/extreme shape?
is it a Strat/tele,LP/SG or other type?
You can always take your guitar to the store and test fit to see if it will fit in any cases they have.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
It's a Malden Bad Karma, and unfortunately, they don't make cases at all.

Since its a variant on the classic LP shape, it SHOULD be relatively easy to find a case for it. But the devil is in the details, of course: I don't think it would fit in a case made to hold a real LP (or a close cousin like an Epi) snugly.

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 10, 2013,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
It appears to me that the Michael Kelly Patriot cases might be an excellent fit?

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/instrument/electric-guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Case-105304414-i1446523.gc

Doesn't the manufacturer have any suggestions at all? Surely other customers have asked, or let them know what they have found?

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure I'd buy a guitar from a company that couldn't help me find a case...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 10, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Come to think of it, I asked whether it came with a case, but I didn't ask them for any advise FINDING one when they said they let their customers choose their own. Such an obvious question, and I didn't ask it.

I'll ask the question when I send the check.

I bet the Gators would work, and I like them. The MKP case might work.

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Shot the company an email about this, and they responded that the case issue is new: they used to have custom made cases, but the company that made them just went under.

He then informed me that the Bad Karma is 1/2" wider and @1" longer than a Gibson LP. This could be fun...

alhaq369