Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
So i was looking around to buy a 1x10" cab just to use at home but didn't fancy spending £90 on one

i have a Peavey Bandit 112 that dont work but im sure the speaker is fine is there anyway of me using that to make a cab for my Dual Terror?

i did a google up on the speaker and from the sound of it its a

12" Sheffield 1230
8 Ohm / 80Watt

although im not 100% on this as there is nothing on the speaker beside some numbers 16 9 08
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
If I were you I'd get a multimeter and double check the impedance(ohms), it's always better to be safe because you risk blowing an amplifier's OT(I believe) if you use a speaker of the wrong impedance with it, which isn't a cheap fix. As for using the Bandit as a cab, what I'd do is desolder the wires that lead into the amplifier, and get a 1/4 jack and a bit of speaker cable and wiring that to the speaker, making sure I connect it well and to assure that it is wired properly.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
Ok thank you i dont have one but ill take it in to a music shop tomorrow and get it checked

as for the wiring is it

+ to Jack Socket
and
- to Ring
earthwormjim
12 IQ
Quote by Viban
If I were you I'd get a multimeter and double check the impedance(ohms), it's always better to be safe because you risk blowing an amplifier's OT(I believe) if you use a speaker of the wrong impedance with it, which isn't a cheap fix. As for using the Bandit as a cab, what I'd do is desolder the wires that lead into the amplifier, and get a 1/4 jack and a bit of speaker cable and wiring that to the speaker, making sure I connect it well and to assure that it is wired properly.

It's not going to read a correct value since he'll only be measuring the real component of the impedance.

Ryansmelliott, the resistance you see will only be part of the picture, it'll read a little lower than what it really is. You can estimate though whether it's a 4 ohm, 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker, just round up. The shop you take it too should hopefully know what it is when they measure it.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
Ok thanks for the reply im taking it in now and ill find out, ill start making the cab the weekend i just got the MDF and Ply, im just worried and the speaker now lol
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
it's nothing to worry about so long as you're careful with it and you double check it. As for the wiring, it's + to tip - to ring.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
So just got back and it is a 8ohm speaker and for £1.50 they did the wiring for me =D
Its just making the cab its self now.

what sort of cab design to go for ill have to have a look around any ideas?
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Personally I like semi-closed designs, but it really depends on what you want, closed back's are more focused and directional, open backs are less that, personally I prefer semi-closed because it makes a handy storage space.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
I was going to look at doing a closed back seeing how that sounds, if im not happy make a cut out.
my friend made the cab at work today so 90% of it is done, ill have to go back into town and look at the cloths and stuff just to finish it off
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
so this is what we got so far

http://s13.postimage.org/nqp8ia3mf/Cab.jpg

My good friend Paul has dont 99% of the work =D He's AWESOME

all i have left to do is round of the edges, wrap it and get some new cloth for the front
Last edited by Ryansmelliott at Jan 16, 2013,
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Go to the link I posted earlier to get some tolex to go around it, you're going to want to take off all of the hardware(footpads/wheels, handles, cornerpieces) before wrapping, it'll be cleaner that way.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
yeah i did have a look at that site its really good but the shop i go to has everything i need and cheap as for the hardware its not stuck down yet, just placed on for the pic lol like i said the edges need rounding off and the filler needs sanding as well

so still some work to do
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Ah, then I'd go with the cheaper more comfortable option. What are you gonna do for corner pieces?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
not sure yet i think it comes down to what colour i wrap it in but ill just get some black maybe brass brackets im also thinking about some white beading for the front

i have been looking online all night at what other people have done to get ideas =D
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
black with white piping is always good, Brass would be a really cool differentiation from the usual too.

Personally, I was thinking of doing the next cab I get in diamond plate and a metal grill cloth, with sliver foot pads and other hardware.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
ill buy both see how they look and i think thats whats wrong with things like this there so many good ideas and ways to go about it i never know what to do lol like i got a 4x12 Peavey cab and man its ugly! i really want to make a cab for that but its just time right now i have some gigs coming up and really dont think ill have times to do them =(
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
The nice thing about a gig is, ugly gear gets kinda passed by and people don't really care, exorbitantly cool gear will usually get a mention. At the end of the day though it's all about the music and not many people will care about your gear.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
see i would like to think that but we was in Live Band Of The Year 2012 and found out we was marked down cos we didn't have big stacked amps like the other 2 bands and came 3rd!
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Then that's just crappy judging. Either way I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ryansmelliott
122 IQ
Yeah we not to bothered we are supporting Black Light Burns in Feb so that will be fun but like you said its about the music not the gear
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Either way, do what makes you happy, have a good time and make the people happy, that's the point of being in a band after all.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.