135 72%
No, I wouldn't bother.
53 28%
Voters: 188.
Page 1 of 4
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Financially or otherwise. If getting married meant absolutely nothing with regards to the law and essentially only meant that you got to call yourselves husband and wife, would you still get married?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Probably not, only if she really wanted to or we had kids I think. Why not just stay together as long as you're happy, you don't need something like marriage to do that. It would only cause more trouble if it stopped working out.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by whywefight
Yes.

Why?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
PoisonousNipple
Banned
42 IQ
Marriage is a celebration of love and honesty, but you wouldn't know about that, you dirty hipster.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by whywefight
because this.

Why is that important to you?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****
1,019 IQ
Yeah. It still carries the implication of a lifelong commitment.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
cornmancer
Thou mayest
814 IQ
If I was with someone who wanted to be married, I'd happily oblige. If I was with someone who was indifferent, probably not, because I too am indifferent. I think it's cool and all, but as I've seen time and again, getting married doesn't actually change your relationship. Especially if you're already living together. so really I'd just do it for her or taxes, medical care, etc.
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Perhaps.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by cornmancer
If I was with someone who wanted to be married, I'd happily oblige. If I was with someone who was indifferent, probably not, because I too am indifferent. I think it's cool and all, but as I've seen time and again, getting married doesn't actually change your relationship. Especially if you're already living together. so really I'd just do it for her or taxes, medical care, etc.

That's pretty much my exact line of thinking when I was tossing this idea around. I think that a lot of people in this generation don't feel motivated by religion to get married, and tradition is still a pretty strong force but time will obviously weaken that. I think that marriage would decline pretty significantly if it was legally irrelevant and nobody got benefits for being married.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
Probably, if only to shut up friends and family from bothering me about when I'm going to put a ring on her finger.
MakinLattes
fully retractable
1,097 IQ
I'm not interested in marriage in either case. It would depend on the other person and what they wanted. If it would make them happy, I would.
WaterGod
BernieBro
541 IQ
I don't care, I don't plan on thinking about that until i'm 35.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Yes
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Why is that important to you?
For me, I just think it's a gesture of showing one's love and dedication (for lack of a better word) to someone else. I do think that people generally have more respect and commitment for marriage and than a simple relationship. Some people not so much, but some people definitely do.
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I wouldn't have a problem with it, I'd do it for more of the "symbolism" of marriage, or something like that.

Idk, piss poor wording, but I don't see what's wrong with getting married to someone you care about if there wasn't legal benefits.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Yes

Never really even thought of it as a "legal benefits" thing anyway

Actually, if someone is getting married for the legal benefits they're probably doing it for the wrong reasons imo. /flameshield
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 16, 2013,
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
it's a big part of our culture. of course i would.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
Who the hell gets married for the legal benefits?

Of course I still would, you soulless jerk.

People who can make more money off the state from being married, and/or getting tax reductions.... The same reason why people on welfare have lots of kids - the more you have, the bigger the check you get to cash each month. Same goes for immigrants that want to get into the country that don't have any other way in besides marriage to a citizen. It's kind of ****ed up, but a lot people do it to screw over the system.

Now to answer the question - Yes. If I loved that person enough and they loved me enough to do it I see no reason why we shouldn't. Marriage (in my opinion anyways) is just a piece of paper signed by the state. Whether we are married or just in a domestic partnership doesn't really matter. What matters is commitment to that person.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Yes. I'd do it regardless cuz i'm not some loser dweeb on the internet who is too good for marriage or something.

I didn't even know you got tax benefits for being married until like a year ago. If I found a girl who I loved and wanted to be with foreva and she felt the same then hells yes i'd do it.
Diamond Dave
1,428 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
People who can make more money off the state from being married, and/or getting tax reductions.... The same reason why people on welfare have lots of kids - the more you have, the bigger the check you get to cash each month. Same goes for immigrants that want to get into the country that don't have any other way in besides marriage to a citizen. It's kind of ****ed up, but a lot people do it to screw over the system.

yeah because the extra cheque amount covers an extra kid and then some!

nobody has kids to be better off financially, that's lunacy
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Idk, piss poor wording, but I don't see what's wrong with getting married to someone you care about if there wasn't legal benefits.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm not trying to dissuade people from getting married, I simply don't personally see the point and am interested in other people's motivations.
Quote by Telecaster7
Who the hell gets married for the legal benefits?

Of course I still would, you soulless jerk.

Quote by bradulator
Yes. I'd do it regardless cuz i'm not some loser dweeb on the internet who is too good for marriage or something.

See, this is what interests me, is the knee-jerk reaction. What's "soulless" about not seeing the point of marriage? Frankly, I could argue that it's shallow to desire an exaggerated celebration over an event that doesn't work out more than half the time. But I'm not arguing that because I'm not anti-marriage. Why isn't being in a committed relationship enough?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
E34Kevin
42 IQ
I wasn't aware there were any other reasons to get honestly married other than you love each other? That you don't have any desire to be with another person? Or is that too much nowadays. Figures, with the divorce rate skyrocketing....
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by E34Kevin
I wasn't aware there were any other reasons to get honestly married other than you love each other? That you don't have any desire to be with another person? Or is that too much nowadays. Figures, with the divorce rate skyrocketing....

How is that a reason to get married? Why does there have to be any further step after "you love each other" and "you don't have any desire to be with another person"? Why can't those things just exist without having to add this whole extra step? I'm pretty sure the high divorce rates make my point more than they make yours.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I bet maybe 2% of all marriages are "for legal benefits."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
jonlambofgod666
10 IQ
Quote by PoisonousNipple
Marriage is a celebration of love and honesty, but you wouldn't know about that, you dirty hipster.

This.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by element4433
I bet maybe 2% of all marriages are "for legal benefits."

I didn't really intend to portray the opinion that a large percentage of people consciously decide to get married specifically for tax breaks or whatever. Shit, I don't even know what the legal benefits for getting married are, that's why I'm using such vague terminology. I'm sure religion still plays a part for a lot of people but I think the main factor is simply tradition, and I'm exploring why that tradition is so deeply embedded in our society because honestly I feel no obligation whatsoever to get married just because it's what you're "supposed" to do.
Quote by jonlambofgod666
This.

That's a highly idealistic point of view and I think divorce rates show it's not really about that anymore. Or maybe it is at the beginning of the marriage, but clearly those ideals don't hold in the long run for most cases.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Jan 17, 2013,
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
I don't think TS wants our opinions, I think he just wants to prove us all wrong.

What are you even basing that on?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,022 IQ
If I had a companion that I wanted to stay with my whole life then yeah.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
I dunno, I have very little interest in this thread. I respect that you have an opinion. You could say that I was 'trolling' you.

...Thanks for posting?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Nah. Marriage is a silly idea to me anyway. A lifetime spent with a person is important, not a single day.

If your wife/husband has to remember your wedding day constantly to be in a happy place, then something's wrong, anyway.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~