RRcarnage
21 IQ
Hi, I've had the guitar I have right now for about 6 years now. It is my first electric guitar and I got it as a gift. I've never really cared to buy a new guitar but its pretty beat up and I don't think it's worth putting money into fixing up. I don't know a whole lot about brand names and stuff.

I like to play a lot of death metal but I play progressive melodic type music too. Can someone help me out and tell me what kind of guitars I should be looking at to buy?
Igamikun
UG Newbie
326 IQ
Probably Ibanez, Schecter, Dean, and BC Rich. Those are kind of the standards for metal heads, and they all have guitars that are available at moderate price ranges. You'll probably want something with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I'd say stay within the Ibanez and Schecters probably as they would probably have the best tone for progressive music.

Me personally, I would look get a basic idea on google and watch videos on youtube. After that when you find one that you like, and it's something popular go to a music shop and try it before buying it. I bet you could find something decent in around the $300 range, new or used.
Igamikun
UG Newbie
326 IQ
Oh also ESPs tend to be pretty good. If you decide to get one of their LTD models, definitely try before buying.
3volved
122 IQ
The best advice I can give you is go to a guitar shop, play every guitar on the wall and figure out what you like. I'm not one of those people that subscribes to the theory that certain guitars are for certain genres of music. Find the guitar you feel most comfortable with and then you can use pedals and amps to shape your sound to how you want it.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
While I am not a fan of EMGs, I am a fan of Dean Cadillacs, and the Dean DCR #6 Cadillac Floyd is pretty nice.

I would also check out DBZ and Fernandes guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by 3volved
The best advice I can give you is go to a guitar shop, play every guitar on the wall and figure out what you like. I'm not one of those people that subscribes to the theory that certain guitars are for certain genres of music. Find the guitar you feel most comfortable with and then you can use pedals and amps to shape your sound to how you want it.

This is the best advice really.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Perturabo
38 IQ
All I can say is research as much as you can, either by playing or internet, and check second hand stores and Ebay, get a good condition guitar at a lower price. Also, don't buy a guitar to "fix up", it's not worth it.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by Igamikun
Probably Ibanez, Schecter, Dean, and BC Rich. Those are kind of the standards for metal heads, and they all have guitars that are available at moderate price ranges. You'll probably want something with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I'd say stay within the Ibanez and Schecters probably as they would probably have the best tone for progressive music.

Me personally, I would look get a basic idea on google and watch videos on youtube. After that when you find one that you like, and it's something popular go to a music shop and try it before buying it. I bet you could find something decent in around the $300 range, new or used.

Actually, this is the best advice.

24 extra jumbo frets, humbuckers, and floyd rose bridges definitely suit this music better than 19 or 21 tiny frets, single coils, and hokey bridges like on a Mustang.

Sure, you can shred on a 22 fret hard tail (like Dethklok) but you might find yourself fretting on the neck pup, bending the neck, and using a Digitech Whammy pedal to compensate. So guitars certainly can be optimized for certain genres.

I'd like to see someone play all of "Seek and Destroy" acurately on a Montgomery Ward Airline Hutto model. It's not going to happen. I rest my case.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
I'd like to see someone play all of "Seek and Destroy" acurately on a Montgomery Ward Airline Hutto model. It's not going to happen

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible, no.

Near as I can tell, Metallica plays it in E Standard, E Flat or D Standard.

I suspect you give a sufficiently talented guitarist that Airline and allow him to use whatever tuning he chooses- say, New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG)*- it could be done.

* BTW, even though that is my preferred tuning and I love Metallica, I am not the guy to do it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
RedMist
44 IQ
If I was looking for an entry level metal guitar, I'd likely get an Ibanez.
RedMist
44 IQ
Quote by jetwash69

I'd like to see someone play all of "Seek and Destroy" acurately on a Montgomery Ward Airline Hutto model. It's not going to happen. I rest my case.

My buddy has that guitar and absolutely shreds metal on it. It's not his only guitar and probably not the ideal guitar for metal, but it certainly can be done. Those Airline's have balls.
NHECOS
UnBanned
1,042 IQ
Maybe an LTD.
Gear:
DIGITECH Grunge -->
IBANEZ Silver Cadet -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Budget?

Location?

New/used?

Specs?
Quote by jetwash69

I want to know what that sounds like.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Unlikely? Yes. Impossible, no.

Near as I can tell, Metallica plays it in E Standard, E Flat or D Standard.

I suspect you give a sufficiently talented guitarist that Airline and allow him to use whatever tuning he chooses- say, New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG)*- it could be done.

* BTW, even though that is my preferred tuning and I love Metallica, I am not the guy to do it.

Thanks, Danny. That's exactly my point. With a 24-fret guitar you don't need any of those workarounds because it was made for stuff like that. Valco sure wasn't thinking of Metallica riffs back in the '50s, but ESP sure was every time they built a guitar for Kirk.

BTW, you'll note that even within Metallica, some of Kirk's guitars are better suited for some songs than others. Some of them don't go as high up the neck, but they have longer reaches. No big surprise that Kirk seems to always use a Gibson for those; the shorter scale helps. Although some of those are still hard for me to reach even with my 24"-scale Mustang. But I can't reach them at all on all my other guitars (all 25.5" strats or super strats).

Incidentally, if I plunked down $2,500 or more on a vintage Valco Airline, I don't think I'd tune any of the strings in a pitch higher than the value for each string in E standard tuning--those damn things don't even have truss rods! Plus, with the brittle plastic controls, the wooden bridge, and the delicate tuning machines they are the most fragile guitars I've ever played. It really took all the fun out of playing White Stripes songs on it in the store.

Bottom line. While the player is the most important part of the equation, it's just ridiculous to try to deny that all guitars are equally suitable for every genre. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to suggest that would be the case for amplifiers, so I don't understand why some intelligent people around here seem to think that's the case for guitars. Maybe they're just trolling.
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by RedMist
My buddy has that guitar and absolutely shreds metal on it. It's not his only guitar and probably not the ideal guitar for metal, but it certainly can be done. Those Airline's have balls.

Sure they got balls, and I'd love to have one, but they dont' even have 21 frets, much less 24 like the guitars Kirk uses to play that song. There's one part that goes to the 23d fret. So unless you use a workaround like alternate tuning or extreme bending, you're not going to get that note. Seek and Destroy is probably a weak example of a song that goes high up the neck; it happens like once and it's not even the 24th fret; but it's the first song that came to mind because I'm on a trip with my Affinity and I can't play it right until I get back to my other guitars. Those Airlines are great for most White Stripes songs, but even Jack used other guitars for many of his songs--and for good reason.

The point is those are hassles you won't have if you get a guitar intended for metal. Now those guitars can play anything, but if the neck's pretty flat, it'll be easier for individual notes and harder for barre chords.

There are good reasons different guitars are different. It's not random and it's not without consequence. I just don't get why people try to deny that fact, especially when recommending guitars to inexperienced people.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jan 21, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Bottom line. While the player is the most important part of the equation, it's just ridiculous to try to deny that all guitars are equally suitable for every genre. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to suggest that would be the case for amplifiers, so I don't understand why some intelligent people around here seem to think that's the case for guitars. Maybe they're just trolling.

The old adage of engineering is "Form follows function": in this context, it is clear that some guitars are better suited for particular genres than others.

However, one of the primary functions of guitars is flexibility. Its why the tuners are so easily adjustable by the player, as opposed to something like a harp or piano.

alhaq369
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The old adage of engineering is "Form follows function": in this context, it is clear that some guitars are better suited for particular genres than others.

However, one of the primary functions of guitars is flexibility. Its why the tuners are so easily adjustable by the player, as opposed to something like a harp or piano.

And the more frets the guitar has, the more flexible it will be (to a point...usually 24).

Of course, there's a tradeoff to that, too. Some would say that puts the neck pickup too low, and interferes with getting a tone they like. That's probably the main reason modern Fender MIA Strats have 22 frets instead of 24. Of course some of their most expensive Strats still have 21 frets, but you can only chalk that up to nostalgia. Same for the slot headed truss rod adjuster under the pick guards and 6-point trems (although some purists think that gives better tone than the 2 point trems).

Splittable humbuckers are also more flexible than straight single coils, but there's always the purist who will want the tone of a straight single coil, because there are subtle differences between the sound of a split bucker and a real single coil.

Even alternate tunings have their pros and cons. It certainly changes fingering of the chords, and theoretically could make it harder to play a piece written for a different tuning. With some tunings it could make it impossible.

All this to say that if someone wants to play metal primarily (on a budget), then it's far better advice to point them at Ibanez, Schecter, ESP (LTD), and Jackson, rather than to tell them to play every guitar in the store. If TS wanted to do that, then there wouldn't be any need to come here asking for advice.
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
638 IQ
Well not all metal players use 24 fret guitars by any means. Seems to be more of a stereotype. Same with a whammy bar (nat all metal needs dive bombs and finger vibrato and bends are a serious skill too in metal as in other styles). Most guitars can be made to sound however you want depending on the effects, amp, settings and playing style you use. The main thing is to play comfortably. To many that'll dictate what size and profile neck you'll want (scale and dimensions, not # of frets) , whether you like strings that sit close to the body (flat top) vs strings that are raised more (arched/carved top), if you plan to wank away all day in the higher registers maybe you do want higher fret access but plenty of great solos never go past the 17th-19th fret at the top. Personal preference. Weight may be a factor. All else can be more or less made up for or compensated electronically.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 21, 2013,
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by KenG
Well not all metal players use 24 fret guitars by any means. Seems to be more of a stereotype. Same with a whammy bar (nat all metal needs dive bombs and finger vibrato and bends are a serious skill too in metal as in other styles)... ...All else can be more or less made up for or compensated electronically.

Funny coming from a guy with all those Gibsons in his sig

Never said they all use 24-fret guitars; in fact I even gave an example of one metal guy who often does, but mentioned an example of when he doesn't.

All sorts of metal guys mainly play 21-fret Strats (and a few Telecasters) without a Floyd or some 22-fret Gibson.

Thing is if you want to play any metal you want, then you should have a 24-fret guitar with a Floyd Rose set up for each tuning you want to play, or you'll have to do workarounds. Hell, I hardly play any metal and I got 3 guitars that are designed for it. Most of the time I play on either a 21- or a 22-fret Strat. But it's frustrating when I want to play certain songs and realize I don't have one of the Superstrats around.
Metallion98
10 IQ
Quote by 3volved

My first post here. Hi all. I can't agree more with this quote. As you can probably guess from my nickname, I'm also a metal head. I have a heavily (and professionally) upgraded Epiphone SG that I'm very fond of.

One time I went to a guitar shop to try out "nice" guitars as you say. I tried a Alexi Laiho signature model. Didn't work. Tried a Dave Mustaine signature model. Didn't work. Tried a Dimebag Darrel Razoback. You guessed it. Then I went up to the other floor and took a standard Gibson SG. Just right! I shredded on that thing for 30 minutes before trying a Les Paul custom that was twice the price. I believe I held it in my hands for a full minute before telling them to give me back the SG.

Yes, a certain type of guitar is better for a certain type of music but it's way more important to find a guitar that's right for you. I'd say make a list of the guitars suggested here, then go to a shop and play them.
Last edited by Metallion98 at Jan 21, 2013,
HeartString
23 IQ
I've been doing what 3volved suggested every weekend since August and went with the SG 50's Tribute. Dive in and play them all!
live-love-laugh
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
638 IQ
Quote by jetwash69
Funny coming from a guy with all those Gibsons in his sig

Never said they all use 24-fret guitars; in fact I even gave an example of one metal guy who often does, but mentioned an example of when he doesn't.

All sorts of metal guys mainly play 21-fret Strats (and a few Telecasters) without a Floyd or some 22-fret Gibson.

Thing is if you want to play any metal you want, then you should have a 24-fret guitar with a Floyd Rose set up for each tuning you want to play, or you'll have to do workarounds. Hell, I hardly play any metal and I got 3 guitars that are designed for it. Most of the time I play on either a 21- or a 22-fret Strat. But it's frustrating when I want to play certain songs and realize I don't have one of the Superstrats around.

Ha, ha. In my 35+ years of playing, I've had quite a few Superstrat/Strat guitars for most of the time. It wasn't till 2004 when I finally ended up where I should've been all along, playing a Les Paul. Funny thing is I still sound like me no matter what rig I play.
Moving on.....
jetwash69
889 IQ
Quote by KenG
Ha, ha. In my 35+ years of playing, I've had quite a few Superstrat/Strat guitars for most of the time. It wasn't till 2004 when I finally ended up where I should've been all along, playing a Les Paul. Funny thing is I still sound like me no matter what rig I play.

Well, not everyone is into the upper registers or whammy dives. But if you are, and a Les Paul is the only guitar for you, then you need Buckethead's Les Paul. Take care.

LPs weren't for me. I kept knocking the strings out of the nut when I played them in the store. But I do prefer the HH config and 2 volumes and 2 tones. My Squier now has that setup and that's the biggest reason it's my main guitar over guitars that cost more than 8 times what it cost (before mods).