Filmed my friend playing his incredible bass solo. What does UG think?

Page 1 of 8
Beserker
More fluid than Jeff Beck
434 IQ
The other night my friend came round for jam and showed me this piece that he's been working on. He insisted that it was too 'far out' and wasn't sure that anyone would be into it, but I was blown away, and knew I had to record it. It has already become something of a youtube hit, so I'm sure you guys will like it too. The next step is to get it recorded properly, and possibly do a simple music video for it. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Z-V2xey-Q

if anyone is going to get their jimmies rustled by this being in the wrong subforum or whatever, how's about you let it stay, just this once, as a little present for my (slightly belated) 10th birthday on UG?
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
It's not even really that amazing. Anyone who's ever touched a delay pedal has done the same thing...
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
pretty gr8

and holy shit....10 years on UG.....

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
Quote by willT08
It's not even really that amazing. Anyone who's ever touched a delay pedal has done the same thing...

theres always one
pinga
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by genghisgandhi
It's cool but not really original. I mean, EitS much?

this
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Beserker
434 IQ
Quote by willT08

On you go then mate, show us your cover.

This takes great chops, delay or not...
Reisgar42
Howyehdoin?
560 IQ
Easily the best thing I've ever seen on UG.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Doctor.Dolittle
Meme-o Friend-o
385 IQ
It was pretty kick-ass, your friend did a great job.
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Beserker
On you go then mate, show us your cover.

This takes great chops, delay or not...

I don't play Bass. And I wanted to listen to Trance, I'd put on some Trance...
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,869 IQ
Okay, so I came in here to be a jackass and make fun of him, but that was pretty awesome.

Give him a high-five for me.
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 81-81
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2015: 5-11
2015 Pick 'Em: 155-101
Beserker
434 IQ
Quote by willT08
I don't play Bass. And I wanted to listen to Trance, I'd put on some Trance...

Well, show us you playing something even remotely as good with a delay pedal. You said anyone could do it. What's that? You can't? Perhaps you should take back your original statement then.
ryan_nadon
ass brain
134 IQ
Quote by Beserker
Well, show us you playing something even remotely as good with a delay pedal. You said anyone could do it. What's that? You can't? Perhaps you should take back your original statement then.

Perhaps you should calm the **** down.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
I, like probably everyone else in the pit, was coming ready to troll, expecting that you were trolling us with some fake bass solo or some nonsense. But damn, that was really sick.

10/10 would listen to again
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Quote by Beserker

Haters gonna hate bro. Let it go.
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by Beserker

your friend is a great bass player and it's awesome that be was able to pull that off

the song however is rather lacking
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Beserker

I don't have any recording equipment here right now. I'd be happy to if I did. Go take some chords from a trance song. Tune down to Drop D and voice them preferably just using your low D and G strings. Pick in rhythmic pattern. Set delay to run on dotted 1/8ths. Done.
Cy5qu4tch
17 IQ
Quote by willT08

I guess anyone who has ever touched a wah pedal has been able to use it as Steve Vai or Joe Satriani have, with that logic.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I came to shit, but left enjoying it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper
1,621 IQ
Really cool tune. And how is it not original? Just because he's using tapping? That's like saying a songs not original caus the guitarist was using a pick. Sending this shit to every musician I know
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Cy5qu4tch
I guess anyone who has ever touched a wah pedal has been able to use it as Steve Vai or Joe Satriani have, with that logic.

With what logic? You've made up some logic of mine.

EDIT: ^^^It's not original becaue firstly it's a direct rip off of Ewan Dobson. And secondly there's already a whole genre of music dedicated to music like this which has done what you hear in this video over and over again for the past 20 years almost.
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 21, 2013,
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
A buddy of mine sent me a link to this video last night. I guess this is circulating pretty widely?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Beserker
434 IQ
Quote by ryan_nadon
Perhaps you should calm the **** down.

Whoa dude...I am calm. I was just saying. I've just had so many of these ridiculous comments over the last few days that it begins to get annoying. I was simply challenging to back up his statement, which he clearly can't do. But you're right, I should let it go, I don't want to turn the thread into an argument.
Cy5qu4tch
17 IQ
Quote by willT08

EDIT: ^^^It's not original becaue firstly it's a direct rip off of Ewan Dobson. And secondly there's already a whole genre of music dedicated to music like this which has done what you hear in this video over and over again for the past 20 years almost.

I was never contesting it's originality with you. You just said that anyone who has ever touched a delay pedal could play the same thing, which I find to be a false statement.
AxeToFall
Dazed Glonuts
30 IQ
Quote by willT08

u gotta pay the troll toll
Last edited by AxeToFall at Jan 21, 2013,
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by AxeToFall

u gotta pay the troll toll

How am I trolling?

>Guy writes very mediocre Trance music
>Points out that it's hardly something to get crazy over and the delay pedal is doing all the work for him
>"Oh my gaadz u trolllll"

?
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
320,000 views?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Camm
Camisonfire
122 IQ
Quote by willT08

With an attitude like yours, I truly hope that you listen to music exclusively from the 30s-60s, because after that, nearly everything has been done "over and over again for the past 20 years almost".

If that's not the case, and you listen to modern music, enjoy it, and share it, then you either need to re-evaluate yourself or admit that you're an ignorant hypocrite.

The choice really is yours to make, but either way you're not impressing anybody.

As for the subject of this thread, as a bassist, I'm pretty impressed with how clean it was over all and I found it to be very trancy and groovey.
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by Camm
With an attitude like yours, I truly hope that you listen to music exclusively from the 30s-60s, because after that, nearly everything has been done "over and over again for the past 20 years almost".

nope
Quote by korinaflyingv
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Camm
In awful Rock music, maybe. Thanks to the nature of actual Trance music (being electronic and all) there is literally infinite ways to make a song and so there is always innovative new music to be heard.
ChrisBW
171 IQ
It's ok. I learned about dual tapping within a year of playing guitar.

Got repetitive after about a minute.
I have a huge fear if rays.