Page 1 of 7
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
90 IQ
Rockingamer posted this blog in that Feminist thread, and there was this picture with a link to the BBC, and it was titles like this:

The battle against 'sexist' sci-fi and fantasy book covers

And another example would be this picture:

Anyways, do you think that comics that always have females pose in sexy and suggestive ways (which are in no way proper fighting or defensive stances) are being sexist?

I personally don't know if I'd use the word sexist. I do think it's really cheap, tacky, and if I liked comic books, I'd find it pretty insulting.
Joshua Garcia
An actual big boy
4,730 IQ
It's way worse in commercials. We men always look like idiots.

Oh wait, you're talking about comics. Oh yeah, screw that. I don't read those.
Quote by imspazzen
i'm horny af for Marge Simpson right about now
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 1, 2013,
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
110 IQ
Is it really worse than this?

People are horny mother****ers, everyone wants to see it.
bradulator
normcore
80 IQ
It's pretty sexist sometimes.

Can we talk about how creepy anime is also since they do the same thing but 100 times worse since their demographic is pedophiles and not just comic book geeks?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
70 IQ
I'm not sure if I'd say they are deliberately sexist, but they certainly encourage sexism with their de-personification of woman as sex object stereotypes.
StewieSwan
Sociopath
130 IQ
It's not like it's a one-way street, though.

Yeah, that's totes realistix
Put me in your top friends
Primus2112
whatever you say "Mor-ty"
113 IQ
Quote by whywefight

dude that's not how you sail a ship

that bitch be distracting you and shit, you're gonna capsize

where's the rest of the ship even, are you on the bow?

is that even a ship?

get your shit together, fabio
i miss the old kanye
DoubleBassCrash
40 IQ
Sex sells, make something provocative & people will buy it, simple as that. What insults one person will turn on another, & as Jackintehbox said, it's marketing, bottom line is making the money.
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
50 IQ
OMG I HAVE THAT SAME NERF GUN

[capslock][/capslock]
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
BladeSlinger
nerd
120 IQ
The portrayal is a little sexist but what it does is support the very sexist mindsets within nerd culture. I've read some interesting articles on women and nerd cultures and I started noticing some of the sexism and misogyny in the general nerd culture.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Amuro Jay
ヴェープル ウェーブ
1,234 IQ
Quote by bradulator

Can we talk about how creepy anime is also since they do the same thing but 100 times worse since their demographic is pedophiles and not just comic book geeks?
The demographic for anime in Japan is only children. Anyone who watches anime past childhood is shunned from society and looked down on as, you guessed it, a pedophile.

Besides, that only happens in shitty anime. Granted, that's most anime.

Big robots > skanky women.
Bad Kharmel
30 IQ
individual examples are not necessarily sexist, however our culture in general has a problem with female objectification
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
10 IQ
It's sex, not sexist. Spend two minutes flicking through a female-demographic magazine or take a glance at any boy-band and you'll see much the same; both sexes have sexual desires and fantasies and they make for fantastic marketing bases.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
41 IQ
Quote by bradulator

totally

I do think it's sexist to put people in poses that are unrelated, or inefficient, to what they are doing just to be sexy.
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
440 IQ
Quote by byob_soad2
totally

I do think it's sexist to put people in poses that are unrelated, or inefficient, to what they are doing just to be sexy.

The fuck is with the dude in the back left's hand

It's like three of his fingers are dislocated
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
41 IQ
Quote by necrosis1193
The fuck is with the dude in the back left's hand

It's like three of his fingers are dislocated

I didn't even notice that. But that's a good thing, because of the comparison to ridiculous positions women are in with some of these comics, etc.
bradulator
normcore
80 IQ
more like DOLCE & GANGBANGA
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
50 IQ
Quote by bradulator
more like DOLCE & GANGBANGA

heheheheh

but really, that's pretty creepy.

And it's like in one of Donnie Darko's dreams.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
BigRed_420
Registered Boozer
10 IQ
Woman logic:

"My sexuality is my strength! I can dress/dance/pose/etc. suggestively because I am a empowered by my sexuality!"

"What!? An attractive woman in a suggestive pose/revealing clothes/etc. In the media!? SEXIST! OUR SEXUALITY DOES NOT DEFINE US. DO NOT OBJECTIFY US."

Seems legit.
Unholy inversion of hope, twisting the faith of the meek into hate.
byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
41 IQ
Quote by WhiskeyFace
How?

Because it uses them purely as sex objects based on what the gender of the person is told should be attractive. The romance books, for example, are saying that the way for a man to be sexy is to be big and muscular.

It's different if the person is using proper form or something, and is also sexy. I don't find that to be a problem at all.
Aralingh
Intelligent person
20 IQ
Quote by byob_soad2
Because it uses them purely as sex objects based on what the gender of the person is told should be attractive. The romance books, for example, are saying that the way for a man to be sexy is to be big and muscular.

It's different if the person is using proper form or something, and is also sexy. I don't find that to be a problem at all.

What if their purpose is to be attractive?
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
10 IQ
Quote by whywefight

Yes. In your particular example, he has a woman all over him and he's being all manly for her (and the female viewer). But at least there's some context.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Mack56
mackabre
269 IQ
a couple of things: http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/

But basically, it's sexist because it pervades every form of media and even when something is supposed to be marketed to women, it's still mainly pandering to male audiences in sometimes disturbing ways.

Now bringing image up because the argument's being made

Last edited by Mack56 at Feb 1, 2013,
CoreysMonster
Banned
210 IQ
Quote by Primus2112
get your shit together, fabio

it's still mainly pandering to male audiences in sometimes disturbing ways.
Fabio is an idol to us all.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 1, 2013,
byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
41 IQ
Quote by Aralingh
What if their purpose is to be attractive?

I suppose it comes down to context and intent. But also the wording of your question. I think it would be sexist if a character was designed only to be sexy. But if a person were to dress a way or take pictures of themself (or through a photographer, or whatever) wanting to be sexy, that seems fine.
WhiskeyFace
:^)
60 IQ
Quote by byob_soad2

I'm not sure I agree that sexy for the sake of itself is inherently bad.

EDIT: I agree with the above.
Last edited by WhiskeyFace at Feb 1, 2013,
CoreysMonster
Banned
210 IQ
Can't have a bad comic book art thread without Rob Liefeld.

EDIT: btw, I'm confused. Is this a thread about the question if it's sexist or not, or if it's a problem?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 1, 2013,
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
20 IQ
Lol. No, it's no more sexist than the male characters who are all handsome and have rippling biceps. It would be sexist if it didn't apply to both sexes. But people who don't read comic books would never catch on to the fact that I will never look or act like Superman because they're too busy feeling sympathy for the fictional female characters.

Every standard set in comic books is unattainable. That's the point of them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 1, 2013,
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.
573 IQ
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Lol. No, it's no more sexist than the male characters who are all handsome and have rippling biceps. It would be sexist if it didn't apply to both sexes. But people who don't read comic books would never catch on to the fact that I will never look or act like Superman because they're too busy feeling sympathy for the fictional female characters.

Every standard set in comic books is unattainable. That's the point of them.

I think part of the perceived problem isn't that women are presented unrealistically (which obviously most of the men are too), but rather they're simply presented sexually. The men are big and muscular, but not for sexual reasons, whereas the women are presented with as much bum and tit as they can fit in.
WCPhils
UnBanned
10 IQ
Quote by MadClownDisease

I don't get this one. Everytime you see something with Captain America or Thor they're showing off their muscles and stuff.

Obviously Iron Man is different since he in a freakin metal suit
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...