omertaxtasy
456 IQ
I'm getting a new guitar and I have two choices in mind, from which I can't choose!

1. Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul
2. Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster,if I buy this I'm installing Fender Texas Specials.

I've played them and both the guitars feel equally good with my hands.

I play blues rock, rock 'n' roll, southern rock and classical. A bit of metal too, sometimes.

Anyone help me choose?
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
The Strat would be better suited for the styles you play regularly. Plus you know what you want to do with it already. Why not look at a used US Standard? For the price of the pickups and Mexican you're nearly there!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Bhaok
The evil old man
26 IQ
Les Paul.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Just to add, the Lace Golds are much nicer than the Texas Specials IMO.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Volcz
VCA '18
2,428 IQ
Only thing is the Strat will pretty much die when you try and do metal.

I think a HSS (humbucker in bridge, single coils in middle and neck) Strat would suit you!
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Dempsey68
ihavenoideawhatimdoing
3,329 IQ
i was gonna do a number 2, std MIM strat and texas specials

but may i suggest the fender classic player 60s strat

it's got the custom shop 69 pickups in which sound very similar to texas specials but IMO a bit better.

i play blues mainly (hendrix, SRV, john mayer, BB Kiing) but also some other stuff (Queen, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Green day, led-zep) the list can go on...

and i prefer the 69 pickups than the TS's and i gave both very thorough tests

so buying the CP 60s strat will save you a bit of money too than buying a MIM strat, TS pickups and payaing a man to install them for you.

hope this helps
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
azrael4h
215 IQ
The Strat will be a bit more suited to what you are playing, but a standard Les Paul is not exactly a bad choice (not going to swear a Zakk Wylde edition is however).

However, why buy a MiM? I was able to pull a USA Strat for $599, with the Texas Specials, new. That's about what I paid for my Blacktop MiM Strat. By the time you upgrade the pickups, you're likely within lower-end MiA range at least, or used. I do know that there was a MiA SSS Strat used for about the same as I paid for mine new at the local GC, but I can't swear as to what pickups are in it.
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
Yeah. Why not go for a guitar with Texas Specials from the start? I'm sure you can find a US Strat for maybe a little bit more money.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
the only correct answer is both.

go big or go home.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Why are you looking at Zakk Wylde Les Paul? I mean, Les Paul Standard would fit those styles much better. So if those are the options to choose from, Fender Strat.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper
2,304 IQ
in all honesty, it would probably be a little more beneficial to save for an american strat.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-special-stratocaster-electric-guitar
this one has the Texas Specials in it already.

At any rate, pick the strat. I've been playing strats for years and I have a hard time going to anything else most of the time. I started off as a gibson/epiphone guy but once I picked up a strat, that was all over.

They're very versatile. I play a lot of hard rock, metal, punk and blues with mine. They clean up real good, they have bite and a wide range of tones. for the styles of music you're looking for, the strat is more suitable. You essentially still have humbucking capability in a strat, so in reality, you have the best of both worlds.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

The Dimery
346 IQ
Quote by omertaxtasy
1. Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul

This will make you look like a moron trying to be Zakk Wylde, get a Les Paul unique to yourself.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by The Dimery
This will make you look like a moron trying to be Zakk Wylde, get a Les Paul unique to yourself.

What?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,246 IQ
Quote by The Dimery

Don't be a dick. If he wants that guitar, then so be it. He might even want to be in a BLS cover band some years down the road.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Don't be a dick. If he wants that guitar, then so be it. He might even want to be in a BLS cover band some years down the road.

The irony is, that comment was moronic. I want a new SRV Strat, oh no, maybe people will think I wanna be SRV!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

osiris8
Submit Shark
32 IQ
I've come to the conclusion I really prefer 24.75" scale over 25.5" (short fingers) - so for me: not a strat. For you? Can't say :-D
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
The main reason to not buy the Zakk Wylde LP is because it's not really any better than the Standard, just costs more for the (universally agreed to be rubbish) EMG Hz pickups and his name on the headstock.

But if it feels good to you, go for it. Same with the Strat. You can't compare them because they are totally different in every way; other than both having 6 strings, there is nothing they have in common. So buy whichever one feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears. No reason to choose any other way.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,246 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
The main reason to not buy the Zakk Wylde LP is because it's not really any better than the Standard, just costs more for the (universally agreed to be rubbish) EMG Hz pickups and his name on the headstock.

The later ones do have 81/85's
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
MrFlibble
4,127 IQ
Ah, well if they've finally sorted that out then there's a little more point, though it does still then draw unfavourable comparisons to the various LTD ECs, Kramer Assaults and Epiphone Prophecy guitars which also have active pickups.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Go to a music store. Play both. Buy whichever feels best.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Silver Hilton
Old enough
812 IQ
Having owned both, I vote strat. It's a more comfortable guitar for me, and swapping out pickups and such is easy. I like the idea of the MIM option, and swapping the pickups. I've done that a couple of times, with excellent results.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
MrFlibble
4,127 IQ
^ In that regard, the LP is the better guitar; swapping pickups on a LP is quicker than swapping pickups on a Strat, not that such things should matter considering you shouldn't be swapping pickups that frequently anyway.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
ZW LPs, the MIK one I had, was pretty awesome
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
I just don't think the active pickups will be that good for the music you are going to play. My experience of active pickups was that they lacked the twang passives had. And for the styles you play I would like to have some twang.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
kindadumb
1,198 IQ
An Epiphone LP Traditional Pro or Epi LP Custom Pro might work for covering all your bases - I've yet to find anything lacking in the pickups, and with the coil tap, you can cover a wide range of tones.

Generally speaking, though, I have problems with both the LP and the Strat, which is why I'm now playing an SG.
Maximus_2005
13 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
the only correct answer is both.

go big or go home.

+1

But for now go for hss strat. Go for a used american strat if possible.

Also The paint jobs on the zw les pauls are kinda cool

Quote by The Dimery

As suppose to a ordinary les paul, which will make you look like a moron trying to look like uh les paul
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
wait, you already have a humbucker guitar.

so that was a trick question.

get the strat.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Dude, you need a new amp.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
omertaxtasy
456 IQ
Alright people, I played a friend's MIA Standard Strat, and I've decided to lay all other possible options to rest. It was a blissful experience digging that Strat. I'm going for a new USA Standard Stratocaster - Final.

Now, for the pickups. The new one comes with Fat 50's - are they good enough? Or should I swap them with Texas Specials or the DiMarzio Area Set? For the metal styles I like to play - I forgot to mention I already own a low-end Jackson Rhoads, which also has EMG 81/85s - actives.

I also need to get a good amp. I was using a Marshall MG30 till now, but considering a budget of $300-$600, what are good options? (Marshalls, Fender Amps, Vox Amps?)

For the rest of it, I'm currently using a Korg AX3000G and a Boss GT-100.
Last edited by omertaxtasy at Feb 4, 2013,
Silver Hilton
Old enough
812 IQ
Get it, and play it for a while before you change out the pickups. You may like it as it comes.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
kindadumb
1,198 IQ
A good amp in the $300-600 range? I really like the Tech 21 Trademark 60, which will allow you to go thick and heavy, or clear and bright (or anything you want really). It goes for $600 new and $200-300 used. Granted, it's solid state, but that doesn't personally faze me.

As for tube amps, Peavey's Classic 30 and Classic 50 are also amazing for the money, and I have friends whose Bugera V22s and Blackstar HTs make me drool.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by omertaxtasy
Alright people, I played a friend's MIA Standard Strat, and I've decided to lay all other possible options to rest. It was a blissful experience digging that Strat. I'm going for a new USA Standard Stratocaster - Final.

Now, for the pickups. The new one comes with Fat 50's - are they good enough? Or should I swap them with Texas Specials or the DiMarzio Area Set? For the metal styles I like to play - I forgot to mention I already own a low-end Jackson Rhoads, which also has EMG 81/85s - actives.

I also need to get a good amp. I was using a Marshall MG30 till now, but considering a budget of $300-$600, what are good options? (Marshalls, Fender Amps, Vox Amps?)

For the rest of it, I'm currently using a Korg AX3000G and a Boss GT-100.

If you are going to buy a Strat and also play metal, a HSS Strat would be worth considering (let's not start "SSS Strat can/'t do metal" war). You still get the middle and neck single coil sounds. And you have a humbucker in the bridge that is maybe more suited to the heavier styles. Try both and decide. It really depends on how much you are going to play metal on the Strat and if you are only going to use your Jackson for metal.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
The Fat 50's are quite possibly my favorite stock pickups Fender has put in a Strat.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

NHECOS
UnBanned
1,063 IQ
Les Paul.
Gear:
DIGITECH Grunge -->
IBANEZ Silver Cadet -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1