After spending a serious chunk of time debating on the merits of different guitars at different price points, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy my dream guitar.

It's a 2013 Gibson SG Standard.

I'll skip the unnecessary information on specs and cut to the stuff that is new for 2013.

-Smaller "61 pickguard. I think it looks quite a bit better than the old "batwing" monster.

-Compound radius neck. Nice and chunky at the low frets for chording, flat and fast for lead work closer to the body.

-'60s style neck joint, with the smaller heel. I personally love this, maintains high fret access even with a straplock installed.

-Classic '57 pickups. Much smoother than the departing 490 and 498.

I don't even know where to begin for a review. It plays beautifully. The neck is remarkably fast yet still comfortable. I've never come accross a compund radius that I liked before, and this one blew me away.

It's very light and comfortable. Nice thick leather strap solves the balance issues inherant to SGs. I'm used to LPs, so I'm looking forward to not being nearly as worn out after a show.

The pickups are phenominal. Lots of bite, but extremely dynamic, especially with a little volume rolled back.

I'm very pleased with it.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
Sharp!

Sweet dreams!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 2, 2013,
Nice, I love white SGs. It's only gonna look cooler and cooler as it gets older.
Quote by griffin888
Nice, I love white SGs. It's only gonna look cooler and cooler as it gets older.

this.

HNGD!
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
If her pickguards were any smaller...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by Alucard817

This should be an automated message from UG anytime someone mentions they got a new guitar, no matter what subforum its in. just have this chick pop up lol

but HNGD! I'm contemplating getting an SG for my next guitar. I think I'll get one with a bigsby though, love the look of the two together.
Man, the white SGs are the best. Doesn't get much sexier than that!

HNGD!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Looks like the standard line is making a step in the right direction. Those are all great new features, except.... the freaking '61 pickguard! I can't stand those things. Bring on the batwinged monster.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If her pickguards were any smaller...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI

HNGD, dude, that's pretty ****ing awesome!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Feb 3, 2013,
That is one beautiful SG right there man! Give her some love I'm seriously considering getting an used SG right now. Shoulda not sell my last one
very nice
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

HNGD!

Nice to have a bit of variety other than the typical cherry and ebony models.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Man you got me grape jelly over here! HNGD!
Check my vids
My youtube page

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Epiphone SG G-400 w/ Pearly Gates in the neck
Vox AC15
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Line 6 GX
Line 6 PODfarm 2
Yeah, the color was a no brainer for me. Black is boring, red is cliche, and the natural burst didn't really fit me.

Thanks everyone.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...