Can anyone give me the low down on the Prestige lineup? Been looking at RG 3550s and 3570s in particular, but I'd love to hear some opinions from people who've owned any Prestiges.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I've played an RG3550 at a local guitar shop. Pickups are pretty good.

The neck is smooth and, in my opinion, more comfortable than the average RG. (Like my rg370dx, for example)

I think it's a pretty good guitar for the price and wouldn't mind getting one myself. Though I play mostly any type of Metal/Rock.

Sorry I can't give you more info, cause I only played it for about 5 minutes and moved on to the Jackson's (which I always seem to do at my local shop, hahaha)

Still, you can't really go wrong with any Ibanez Prestige model. They're all exceptional guitars, imo.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
I have one, they're great IMO. Stock pups are not so great, if they're the Ibanez/dimarzio ones.
Neck is great, so is all the hardware.
Quote by Tempoe
I have one, they're great IMO. Stock pups are not so great, if they're the Ibanez/dimarzio ones.
Neck is great, so is all the hardware.

I've got one. No complaints. There are different Ibanez/DiMarzio pups, so you just have to hear it for yourself; easy enough to swap out if they're not for you. Some of them have fragile finishes--the "lazer blue" paint on mine chipped easily in a couple of places, but the black hardware stays black much better than on my Indonesian Ibanez with the "cosmo black" finish that wore off at the store before I even bought it. No problems with the Prestige hardware at all. I do recommend swapping out the strap buttons for strap locks, but that's a given.
Quote by jetwash69
I've got one. No complaints. There are different Ibanez/DiMarzio pups, so you just have to hear it for yourself; easy enough to swap out if they're not for you. Some of them have fragile finishes--the "lazer blue" paint on mine chipped easily in a couple of places, but the black hardware stays black much better than on my Indonesian Ibanez with the "cosmo black" finish that wore off at the store before I even bought it. No problems with the Prestige hardware at all. I do recommend swapping out the strap buttons for strap locks, but that's a given.

Yeah I also have tons of chips in mine, the tiniest tap will take another paint chip. Also they could contour them more, the edges are kinda sharp.
i have three Prestige, looking for a fouth and final.

3550MZ- maple fretboard board real dimarzio pickups, (pickguard style) in a white galaxy. odd deal for some reason i got it a tad under $700 brand new from GC (still think they messed up) binding on fretboard, fancier inlays than the 1570

2570EVSL textured silver Dimarzio/IBZ pickups, i am swapping pickups, they are OK at best (this is the style without the pickguard). i paid $380 but both the seller and i thought it was a 1570. so really good deal binding on the fretboard, again fancier inlays.

1570 - rosewood V7/V8 pickups not bad but will get swapped. i just got it a week or two ago. $503 from guitar center's used site no binding, dot inlays.

now with a little bit more information, my 2570 is on par with 3550, however it didn't have real dimarzios. trem is a bit different on the 3550, some like it some don't. i do. the 2570 has my favorite bridge (i can't ever remember which is which), and the 1570 also a great bridge.

what i am looking for now is a 2520, a little different.

hope some of that helps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you like the necks, I can't think of a reason not to get one. I had a 1570, and it was top notch in every way, except for the pickups, but that's an easy fix. I threw in some DiMarzios and had an excellent guitar with a top of the line locking unit for under a grand, that's hard to beat.
Remember that when it comes to the Prestige line, it's all about quality. They're the best Ibanez you can get without forking out more for a J-Custom. Apart from the quality of all the materials being much higher, it's the craftspersonship as well. My RG2228 has no flaws.

Yeah. No flaws. The finish is perfect. The neck joint is perfect. The neck is perfect. The electronics were perfect. The frets were perfect. Everything was perfect. No work needed to be done. Nothing.

Apart from a setup, of course, since it took all those weeks being shipped. I swapped the EMG 808s out for 808Xs at a later point, and you might like to do similarly to get the exact tone you want in an incredibly solid and buttery workhorse of an instrument.

That's if you like the Ibanez aesthetic, of course. I love their bodies and necks.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I own an RG1527 (not in production any more) and it's still one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I've played some seriously high end gear. I would definitely say if you've got the money and you like Ibanez necks, definitely drop the cash; they are fantastic instruments.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Go 2nd hand and get a used J Custom.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Also don't ignore the signature models that Ibanez produce. If you're going used, something like a Jem, Universe etc... might be worth considering. I've played a fair few Ibanez guitars and I'd place these models slightly above a prestige in terms of quality, although the difference isn't really that much.

But yeah, getting a used (or even new) MIJ Ibanez gives you a great guitar for the price if you like the neck profiles and looks.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Go 2nd hand and get a used J Custom.

This so many times!
I have 2 prestige guitars and they are great...really great...or so I thought until I got my J.Custom.
Again...current prestige guitars are great, but J.Customs blow them away (slight exaggeration maybe, but still!).
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I have an RGR1570 Prestige and love it. If you like the wizard necks, you will love it.
Am I the only one who likes the Dimarzio/IBZs? They're real Dimarzio's but they're custom made OEM models for Ibanez like the ones on the Parker Fly and EBMM Axis. They're not for everyone and admittedly, not really for most people buying RGs. I wouldn't say they're good for metal or anything where you need beefy low end but they have plenty of edge and bite. I considered changing them but I opted not to since I would probably lose what I like most about them.

I disagree with the J. Custom thing though. J. Customs are different from regular RGs for the most part unless you're talking about the higher end mahogany RGs or RGAs that they don't make anymore. It's like if Fender made a really high end korina strat. People looking for a traditional strat won't get it over a regular strat.

But anyway, I love my RG2550Z. But I don't really play modern metal. I play fuzzy garage-y things. It's the perfect guitar for me. The neck is super comfortable for playing fast. It's excellent quality. And it sounds great stock for what I play. I think it's a great compliment to my strat. I'm a huge fan of standard basswood RGs though. If you just like the neck, a J. Custom might be good for you. But if you love everything else about an RG, I say stick with the Prestige.
i would try to get a j-custom, as tom says.

granted, if you like basswood and can get one cheap enough, just get a 1550 or 1570 and swap the pickups.

if you're up to the 3xxx prices (the mahogany ones) then it's normally not much more of a stretch to get a j-custom...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I've been looking and, honestly, the j customs look unappealing, not to mention the cheapest ones I'm finding are 50% more than the 3xxx series prestige models I've been looking at.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Feb 7, 2013,
I've mostly been looking at Guitar Center's used site. Budget wise I'm mostly looking at stuff that is 800-1200 usd.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
I've been looking and, honestly, the j customs look unappealing, not to mention the cheapest ones I'm finding are 50% more than the 3xxx series prestige models I've been looking at.

ah ok, yeah at that amount of a premium maybe it's not worth it. at one point you could pick up a j-custom for little more than the 3xxx prestiges.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Look for the 3120 or 3270 series, alternatively the rgt320 up there is in your budget and they are epic.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by DeadlyIllness
They are good guitars. I don't own one but I've played one. Play one before you buy one.

This is the golden rule, always play before you invest your money in a new piece of gear.
RG3120 prestige owner, 2002 model. Brilliant guitar. If you can get one, do so. You won't regret it!
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700