Page 1 of 2
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
So I want an audio interface for recording vocals and instruments. My budget, however, is $150. I've been planning on getting this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-saffire-6-usb-audio-interface

But I've seen some audio interface bundles that come with studio headphones and stuff and thought that might be a better deal. I really have no idea. Can someone help me out?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
That is easily the best interface in your price range, if you can afford to get it then it is what you should get.
But the obvious problem is that if you get the Saffire, then you have no money left for any kind of microphone. Do you already have mics? or have a separate budget for a mic?
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
I already have a MXL V250. My concern is if studio headphones would be necessary to record proper vocals.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
If it's just for monitoring while you record, then no you won't need them. Hell I've used $5 earbuds for that purpose before, it doesn't matter as long as you can hear yourself going through the mic.
For mixing though, you want some studio headphones unless you are going to cross reference like crazy (I do this, it's a PITA but I can't afford a new set of headphones yet so I just run my mixes through everything I have and compare it to professionally mixed songs).
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name
1,659 IQ
I had that audio-interface until it unfortunately was stolen. Really loved, it, it's pre-amps are good knobs are also well scaled.

But a few times it gave me waaaay too much gain. Recording guitar with -10 dB pad and gain all the way even clipped sometimes. If that happens switch it to another USB-part
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Alright, thanks guys!
gateway01
UG's Only Dancing Mudkip
2,648 IQ
I use a Peavey PV6 that works very nicely.
But it's more choice of microphone that matters. Like trying to use an SM58 on an electric guitar probably won't work out too well, as an SM57 works better for elec. guitars and bases. Do a bit of research on this.

EDIT: also, don't bother with bundles that include studio phones, they aren't worth it. All you really need is a set of earbuds.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by gateway01
I use a Peavey PV6 that works very nicely.
But it's more choice of microphone that matters. Like trying to use an SM58 on an electric guitar probably won't work out too well, as an SM57 works better for elec. guitars and bases. Do a bit of research on this.

EDIT: also, don't bother with bundles that include studio phones, they aren't worth it. All you really need is a set of earbuds.

So much wrong with this post:

1- The SM57 and the 58 are the same mic with different grills, by unscrewing the grill in a 58 you pretty much have a 57.

2- No one tends to mic up Bass guitars... let alone with an SM57. If they do it's normally a long side a DI with a nice valve bass stack and a more suitable microphone.

3- You cannot mix on earbuds... they're too over hyped in some areas and completely lacking in others. Monitor perhaps, but mix; no way.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
T4D
30 guitars and counting..
368 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

1- The SM57 and the 58 are the same mic with different grills, by unscrewing the grill in a 58 you pretty much have a 57.

please stop posting this misinformation again and again as fact.

YES human ears find it hard to hear the differences, But go to the music shop and test 10 microphones and they ALL do start to sound the same even some of the cheaper ones..

the "musicians" Ear is the one who should judge. who cares what the brand it is or how cheap it is..

But Shure does market the 57 for live instruments and the 58 for live singing, there is a reason. ? they is a technical preference from the Shure sound engineer's POV they have the knowledge to give you a educated recommendation. ( they are the same price )

but your not a sound engineer ( clearly not ) so your just posting personal preference not fact are you ?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by T4D
please stop posting this misinformation again and again as fact.

It is fact, they use the same capsule. There is three differences between an SM57 and an SM58: The grill shape, the thread used for the grill (to make them incompatible), and the name.
Quote by T4D
YES human ears find it hard to hear the differences, But go to the music shop and test 10 microphones and they ALL do start to sound the same even some of the cheaper ones..

Only if you go do all at once, because your brain will tire and loose focus so you won't be able to perceive slight differences. If you went and compared two or three, spent a while doing something else, then compared more then this wouldn't happen.

Quote by T4D
the "musicians" Ear is the one who should judge. who cares what the brand it is or how cheap it is..

True, but cheap things are usually cheap for a reason. Usually that reason is lesser quality parts which for most purposes leads to a worse sound.

Quote by T4D
But Shure does market the 57 for live instruments and the 58 for live singing, there is a reason. ? they is a technical preference from the Shure sound engineer's POV they have the knowledge to give you a educated recommendation. ( they are the same price )

Sure there's a reason, but it's not coming from the engineering department. Think about this, if they have you convinced that they are different things and you need a mic for live vocals AND for instruments, then you will go and buy both. If you know they're the same, and you don't need both at the same time then you will just buy one of them. It's basic marketing.

Quote by T4D
but your not a sound engineer ( clearly not ) so your just posting personal preference not fact are you ?

It doesn't take a sound engineer to know this, it takes someone who knows how to read technical specifications and/or work a search engine.

Also, look at the context of Chem's post. The guy he quoted said that an SM58 would probably not work well for guitars. Even you can't deny that it's a perfectly acceptable guitar amp mic.
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Feb 11, 2013,
T4D
368 IQ
here we go ,. first I did not personally attack you,.

I posted that you gave your opinion as fact, which is not fair to some asking questions,

YES I can not tell the difference between the sm57 and sm 58 but it's not correct to say they ARE THE SAME MICROPHONE..

some cheap china model could sound the same also ( not be build as well or last as long but they "could" sound the same.

from Wiki and the shure site
SM58 Frequency Response 50 to 15,000 Hz Sensitivity -54.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV); 1 Pa = 94 dB SPL

SM57 Frequency Response 40 to 15,000 Hz Sensitivity -56.0 dBV/Pa (at 1,000 Hz)

the technical specifications don't lie ?

maybe you should explain your meaning of "the same capsule" ?
do you mean cardioid element ? or casing ?

you reply to my point with attitude of a 8 year old girl. because I disagree with you,. I'm wrong and deserve name calling because I don't change my opinion to match yours ?

Quote by chatterbox272
It doesn't take a sound engineer to know this, it takes someone who knows how to read technical specifications and/or work a search engine..

it is funny you posted that I should use Google to find the facts....
Last edited by T4D at Feb 11, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Ah, so they differ in the sections you don't actually want to keep in the guitar mix?

Also did you ever consider that it's the grill that effects the sound responce?

The bit that actually picks up the sound is exactly the same; it's just they put foam in front of the capsule to make it work better as a vocal mic, as it says in the link I posted from Shure's customer services.

They ARE the same Mic IF you take the grill of the 58. I never suggested otherwise.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 11, 2013,
T4D
368 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

They ARE the same Mic IF you take the grill of the 58. I never suggested otherwise.

No because you still have the "integral resonator" on the 58 where the integral resonator is part of the 57's grille.

there is a better FACTUAL links on the Shure site
YES your right some parts are the same ChemicalFire
But still there are differences between the 57 and 58 models

qouted from Here

QUESTION:
What are the real reasons an SM58 should be used for vocals, and an SM57 be used for instruments? Of course, everybody seems to use these mics as mentioned. No one has given me a convincing reason for this, other than 'That's just what you do- everyone does it this way'. Please ease my anxious mind!
ANSWER:
The SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a ball grille that acts as an effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where a smaller grille size is preferred. In this application, pop and wind are not usually a concern.

The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for a closer miking position with a more pronounced proximity effect. The different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is also responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

for me afew words stick out ( we have to detailed here because I admit I can NOT tell the difference between a 57 VS 58 with my ears, ( Same if you compare a Senns e835 / e845 or samson R21 or Sennheiser e835 or Neumann KSM105 with your ears )

But I'm still here because your posting your opinion as "fact" and it's not true or fair to people asking questions about microphones.

they are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design.

he did not say "ONLY", he said "MAIN" meaning not the only difference there are others.

The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly,

Meaning the "integral resonator" is NOT part of the grille assembly on a sm58 what is a integral resonator ?? I don't know ..

so the Microphones Have differences
in frequency-response
58’s frequency response.
57’s frequency response.
and have Different Specifications
SM58 Frequency Response 50 to 15,000 Hz Sensitivity -54.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV); 1 Pa = 94 dB
SM57 Frequency Response 40 to 15,000 Hz Sensitivity -56.0 dBV/Pa (at 1,000 Hz)

with or without the grille ? how can you tell ? maybe listen for yourself =)
if most here can not tell with it on,.. without the grill ?? but there will be a differences ?
Last edited by T4D at Feb 11, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
All that is saying is the one has a short grill design built into the capsule and one has a big ass bulb. It's all to do with how the grills are designed. All it really means is one has the capsule close to the end and one doesn't. By taking the grill off you're switching the sm58's capsule into a very similar acoustic environment to the 57. The phrase integral resonator is just the main part of the mic that resonates... that's just simple logic. Considering a google search throws no light on what one actually is we can assume that is not some component that will massively change the sound of the mic.

And yes we've been through the freq response curve... that's testing the MIC not the internals on their own... it doesn't mean anything in this argument as you're massively changing the padding/frequency blockage in the 58 by taking the grill off. A lot of the top end muffle of the 58 comes from the grill. Some people modify their 58 by ripping out this foam to get a more toppy sound.

As for the fact he says main difference, if you'd read the quote properly you'd notice that the capsules are mounted differently in their bodies, which is probably what he's referring too.

I'm not saying that you should never buy both mics, they both have their uses. But people assume their wildly different... when they're really not.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Why does every thread posted turn into T4D Vs. The Regulars? I mean, holy hell, I can't open any thread without seeing some argument over something tiny. Yes, I know I get in my share of these but for a new person to open up a thread and see a bunch of fighting back and forth over a small thing isn't really good for our community.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
T4D
368 IQ
it started here from a comment i have read afew times...

Quote by ChemicalFire

I just posted the opinion, it was not the true, they are different.

then it seems i had to prove my opinion over someone else's "Facts"

then it when to
the microphones are all the same, if you just don't look and the Frequency Response or the technical specifications. and just judge by the grille and case ? ?

what then about all the other microphones have around the same sounding characteristics and looks as a Sm58 ? .. including mic's from Senns, Samson, Sennheiser, Neumann etc ?? ( the beta 58 was made 1996 does anyone think no other company has tried to reproduce the 58's Frequency Response or improve it ? )

But it seems
if I disagree with any of the local cool kids I'm automaticly wrong and it gets personally and flames fly my way.

sorry I'm not one of the cool kids.

just Do as DisarmGoliath say's and block me and never see my posts.
GT2Z
69 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
Why does every thread posted turn into T4D Vs. The Regulars? I mean, holy hell, I can't open any thread without seeing some argument over something tiny. Yes, I know I get in my share of these but for a new person to open up a thread and see a bunch of fighting back and forth over a small thing isn't really good for our community.

Quote by T4D

But it seems
if I disagree with any of the local cool kids I'm automaticly wrong and it gets personally and flames fly my way.

I totally agree with the above statements, it is the main reason I don't even go on this forum much.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by T4D

I just posted the opinion, it was not the true, they are different.

then it seems i had to prove my opinion over someone else's "Facts"

Because saying "They are not the same" is totally an opinion

Quote by T4D

then it when to
the microphones are all the same, if you just don't look and the Frequency Response or the technical specifications. and just judge by the grille and case ? ?

Well yeah... frequency response changes when you take the grill off... so why does the frequency response diagram matter in this argument?

Quote by T4D

But it seems

Pretty sure no one has insulted you or called you names...

It's more to do that you don't accept anyone arguing with you it seems. You're allowed an opinion, just be cool about it. I'm allowed to argue with and question your opinion. I'm not hating on you, I'm debating you. Which is the point of the forum. You're allowed to question and critique my opinion and I'm allowed to defend it. I've been proved wrong before on this forum and I'm sure I will be again one day. As a student of English it is IMPERATIVE that I back up my opinion, I've got know why I like or think something; it's a valuable thing to be able to do and really just saying "I think X" without justification is really not helping anyone or adding to a conversation.

But I shall refrain from further comment on this topic as LockWolf points out. If you want to continue the topic I'll be happy to weigh in on a separate thread for the purpose, but no more here.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
strangedogs
An Old Dude with an AX...
1,670 IQ
The Sapphire is great choice. It was my main go-to interface until I got my 11 Rack w/Pro Tools 10...

I'll wager 99% of us couldn't tell a Shure 57 from a 58....
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Thanks for arguing about Shure mics when I already said that mic wasn't the issue. You guys are really productive. I suppose I'll be buying this Focusrite off of ebay then so I have spare money for pop filter n such for the mic.
T4D
368 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
Thanks for arguing about Shure mics when I already said that mic wasn't the issue. You guys are really productive.

Well if you didn't want to read or use the advice we (nearly) all agree on in the sticky at the top of the forum

You must have been looking for, or wanted some extra unrelated comments,. which you did get

Hey ChemicalFire your cool, your opinion is fine, you may be right, we do both agree it's hard for are ears to tell the difference. so there is something we agree on. and have to add many other difference brands of microphones could be in that very same Magic 58 range.

it's easy to see I don't mind a debate and you don't as well ,

we were talking about manufacturing process and specification. ( something both of us are not totally knowledge able on ( we're just voicing opinion )

But facts and opinion should be clear when giving advice. I'm sorry if that offended anyone.

it sort of like say Ernie ball strings and D'addario strings are the same,. yeah on the face of it they sound the same, but do they come from the same factory and made the same way ? ( I don't know ? ) maybe the only difference D'addario has better packaging to keep the fleshiness ?

OR

if someone Says the Dimarzio Evolution and the EV 2 sound the same, how do we know ?
one may have afew more feet of copper wire and Dimarzio say's there different ?

I just remember a sound engineer years ago i worked with a very well respected guy in Australia used to swear he could hear the difference. one day at sound check we tested him in a blind test no one in my band could the really tell the difference but here did.

(maybe he was just was lucky that day and had a good guess. ?)
Last edited by T4D at Feb 12, 2013,
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Quote by T4D
Well if you didn't want to read or use the advice we (nearly) all agree on in the sticky at the top of the forum

You must have been looking for, or wanted some extra unrelated comments,. which you did get

I already knew it was a good choice for an interface at my budget, my question was whether or not there was a better one that I should extend my budget for or try to get used. But I'll let you guys bicker, it doesn't actually bother me.
T4D
368 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
I already knew it was a good choice for an interface at my budget, my question was whether or not there was a better one that I should extend my budget for or try to get used. But I'll let you guys bicker, it doesn't actually bother me.

sorry but this topic is a weekly topic

I think the sticky is extremely well worded, I got a second hand M-audio delta 10/10. got it cheaper then new models listed in the sticky but it was second hand,.

what other 2 input 4 output audio interfaces are there that cost more ?

but again the stick does it's job well.
if you want to spend more, your moving up to 8 or 10 inputs, do you need more inputs ?

no one I would say "in whole big wide world" No one has really production tested ALL the audio interface available with all the software options SO there no right opinion out there

to qoute myself from another thread.
Quote by T4D
well the sticky is where you should start Here

no opinion or option is "the best"" only you know that and that will most likely happen AFTER to buy the wrong one =0) and no one person opinion is the best, you have to stick out there, just like the rest of us had to do and shop around, read up and choose.

for me I would start with what DAW are you using ?

what software are you using and what is recommend by it's developer ?
I would trust your DAW's developer opinion far more then any opinion posted here.
and shop around.

my 2 cents

I started in Reason so I would go for a Balance Here

I now use Protools so I lean towards M-audio ( even tho i think Avid sold that company off) I run a Delta 10/10 old but works prefect for me.

you may also need a keyboard and they can be an interface too Here

or guitar effect unit that also become an interface Here

you can also get mixer that are also Audio interface Mackie has one and Behringer has USB versions

which one is the best option F**K knows ??

There are endless options you need to focus on what you NEED. IMO don't go High end, mid range prices are going to do the job and you get you more workflow and features.
specially if it means getting another mic or keyboard or guitar effects or maybe spare money for vst plugins.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
Thanks for arguing about Shure mics when I already said that mic wasn't the issue. You guys are really productive. I suppose I'll be buying this Focusrite off of ebay then so I have spare money for pop filter n such for the mic.

Welcome to the forum

The guy already has a good quality large-condenser (which is infinitely better than either of the Shure dynamic handhelds anyway), so please T4D, shut the hell up.

Technically, T4D is correct. However, in the real world you may as well consider them to be the same mic - it's nothing half a dB of EQ couldn't fix. A skilled engineer can get a killer guitar tone with either, which is all that really matters.

Stop arguing over technicalities and get back to making good music.

At $149, there's nothing else new that beats the Saffire in any meaningful way.

In the UK, the EIE Pro is only about £30 more than the Saffire and comes with 4 preamps, analog VU metering, inserts, MIDI and USB hub.....but in America the pricing isn't so good, it's $100 more than the Saffire 6.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Rawshik

Sorry about that Rawshik, T4D pisses me (and pretty much everyone it seems) off sometimes. A pop filter is definitely a good idea, but you could always make one for a couple of bucks.
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
I was half joking, I mean, my question was answered anyways. But since we're on it, what do y'all think of the stand for the mic? As of right now I just have a generic cheap (like 15 dollars) one and was wondering if perhaps a better one would be worth the investment.

Edit: Also, I noticed that this interface is often compared to the 2i4 and the only difference is that the 2i4 has USB 2.0. How much of a difference is that? Or even the Scarlett 8i6?
Last edited by Rawshik at Feb 12, 2013,
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
I was half joking, I mean, my question was answered anyways. But since we're on it, what do y'all think of the stand for the mic? As of right now I just have a generic cheap (like 15 dollars) one and was wondering if perhaps a better one would be worth the investment.

Edit: Also, I noticed that this interface is often compared to the 2i4 and the only difference is that the 2i4 has USB 2.0. How much of a difference is that? Or even the Scarlett 8i6?

A mic stand is a mic stand, but a shock mount could be helpful. The 2i4 is an updated version of the same interface, it has USB2 (might help reduce latency) and a fancy glowing ring around the gain knob. Only other thing is I would expect it to have longer continued driver support but the Saffire will be supported for a while yet. The 8i6 is an updated version of the Saffire Pro 14. It has 8 inputs and 6 outputs, and they swapped from firewire (which although faster can be temperamental and is increasingly uncommon) to USB2.
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
So overall the 8i6 is better than the Saffire 6?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
So overall the 8i6 is better than the Saffire 6?

Yup, Saffire 6 < Scarlett 2i4 (Only just) < Saffire Pro 14 < Scarlett 8i6. But you have to think about whether you would actually use the extra inputs.
T4D
368 IQ
Quote by Rawshik

i would vote to invest in a pop filter before a fancy mic stand.
I have one of these Stedman pop filter
but any would be alot better then none specially if your using a condenser mic.
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
I think I feel more comfortable going with the 8i6 then if I can get it at a reasonable price used. I noticed that the Saffire 6 has RCA outputs on the back while the 8i6 has TRS outputs? What's the purpose/significance of that?

Also, I know I've been asking a lot of questions. I very much appreciate you guys' help!
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
I don't think it is particularly significant, just the type of connectors they expect you to find on the monitors you would pair with it I think.
bigblockelectra
571 IQ
I don't have any experience with those, but the metal casing look a little more sturdy than my M-Audio unit. You might want to get something with MIDI just in case you ever want to plug in a keyboard. It looks like those do.

TRS are balanced shielded cables, RCA are not. RCA are less suited for long cable runs, but you can go pretty far with them. RCA are used a lot in home stereo, and you will find TRS being used for live sound applications where there could be more interference. Get whatever your equipment uses.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Feb 12, 2013,
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Alright, I just got the 8i6 off of ebay for 150. Next question is what DAW should I use? Right now I have FL Studio and Ableton Live but I'm not too familiar with Ableton yet. Would downloading Pro Tools be worth it instead?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Don't get pro tools, you don't need it. Yes it's an industry standard, yes it's probably more powerful than most of the others, but it's expensive as hell and uses a weird plugin format so you can't even use the free VSTs that are available. Most people here like REAPER, not everyone uses it but we generally agree that price/performance ratio is great.
T4D
368 IQ
Agree best step into Protool after you've used something else, I used reason/record for afew years then sonar/reaper at the same time then move to PT9 now 10.

First is price PT cost alot more then reaper !! and more then what you already have =)
if you have FL studio use that I read alot of users like it, do an album in that and then when you know you way around recording etc and Ableton has a good following too

then check out PT to see if it's worth the investment.. you may after trying go back to FL and be happy. also you may buy more plugins to add to the FL workflow that is working for you instead of changing.

Second is options or workflow PT has, the workflow in FL or Ableton may suit your style more. best find out what you want from the software you have, before you lay out the big buck $$..

an example if you a musician with minimal guitars and more digital instruments type of guy
I would total make you try Reason it's freak'n AMAZING for that type of musician. TOTALLY WOW !!

but if you need more guitar tone options and drum options and workflow options away from the Reason structure .. then well I did and that is why I moved to PT. after 20 or so song in Reason/record I tried Sonar, Reaper and Ableton demo..

how do you know if you don't try what you already have first ? how do you know what you want out of DAW unless you start and best start without spending more then you have to..and it would be a real bummer if you got PT and then found you prefer FL...
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
I wasn't planning on buying anything. Who buys software? But I suppose I'll just stick with Ableton then and try to figure it out. To be honest, I don't under DAW's at all yet.

Can I get banned for saying that?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Rawshik

Can I get banned for saying that?

yes, yes you can. Also, many people here refuse to help you with anything if they think you're a pirate.
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Feb 13, 2013,
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
On top of everything said, the version of Pro Tools that's on the pirate sites is terribly unstable. Don't pirate it
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp