Page 1 of 2
naedauuf
1,025 IQ
How do you deal with/treat them?

I usually give them around 5 bucks if they're genuinely entertaining. Not necessarily talented, but entertaining. I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
492 IQ
I've barely ever seen any. Though I'm not exactly in a populated area.

One time, I was playing my bass (unplugged) outside while waiting for my mom to pick me up, and some girl throws a quarter to/at me and made some stuck up comment. I kept that quarter though
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
I walk right by them, because whenever I'm in a place where they happen to be, I'm actually doing something, or on my way to do something.
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,720 IQ
I never see any on the street. Which is odd because I live pretty darn close to downtown. But I don't walk anywhere anyways.

Now, if it's a band in a public area like a small restaurant or some market center then yeah. About $5. Sometimes less if somebody else in my party does it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 28, 2013,
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
374 IQ
I give them a dirty look and tell them to go and get a job
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Man, I busk(used to a lot) around the clubs in perth.

Drunk people are so nice to buskers

I generally don't give them anything unless they impress me, entertain me, or are cool to talk to
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Man, I busk(used to a lot) around the clubs in perth.

Drunk people are so nice to buskers

I generally don't give them anything unless they impress me, blow me, or are cool to talk to

huh...

BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Quote by snipelfritz
huh...

Yeah it's a bit weird I know, but buskers are generally pretty poor and will do anything for money

cheaper than prostitutes as well
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
naedauuf
1,025 IQ
Keep in mind busking doesn't necessarily mean performing with instruments. I think a well done robot man is entertaining as ****
Quote by MetalGS3SE

leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Theres a few in our town centre. Theres one accordion guy whos great (given him a few quid), a guy playing things like Eric Clapton (also gave him a few quid and hes a pretty nice guy) and this guy who plays acoustic songs who is boring as shit. Normally just walk straight past him
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
895 IQ
Don't see many, but unless they're something special I don't give them anything.

There used to be a dude in Nottingham who's right arm had been removed below the elbow. He had a strap attached to it to hold his pick and played guitar like that.

That dude got my change.

These kids hanging around in a group of 5 playing Wonderwall on infinite repeat? They get nothing but scorn and fist shaking.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
naedauuf
1,025 IQ
Can't forget the fist shaking!
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Powersurge213
224 IQ
Quote by Jacques-Henri
When I was in London I saw a guy doing some crazy stuff on a Chapman stick and I gave 5 quid. He was freakin' crazy.

There are a few guys who play stick around London- met one once at a stick conference, lovely chaps and insanely talented

edit; Was it Bucky? I remembered his name
http://www.muttel.com/
Last edited by Powersurge213 at Feb 28, 2013,
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
funny enough, my main source of income at the moment is busking.
I don't care if people throw small amounts of coin, it all adds up.
what I really dont like is when people stand there for a song or two, really get into the music, and then walk off without throwing ANYTHING. that's what pisses me off, I mean, im out there trying to make a living, and then I get that crap, day in day out.
though today I made like $25 off another busker leaving the country, it was all in 5c, 10c and 20c pieces (AUD) and also, the weather dictates what you're going to get. I have to travel by train 1 hour to get into melbourne to busk, and then on days like today (windy and gray) you won't make anything. on a good day, ill make anywhere from $70-$120, but today, I made $30. ive had worse days though.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
895 IQ
Quote by naedauuf
Can't forget the fist shaking!

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
DempseyPunk
go fly some kites
1,175 IQ
Quote by rocknroll93
funny enough, my main source of income at the moment is busking.
I don't care if people throw small amounts of coin, it all adds up.
what I really dont like is when people stand there for a song or two, really get into the music, and then walk off without throwing ANYTHING. that's what pisses me off, I mean, im out there trying to make a living, and then I get that crap, day in day out.
though today I made like $25 off another busker leaving the country, it was all in 5c, 10c and 20c pieces (AUD) and also, the weather dictates what you're going to get. I have to travel by train 1 hour to get into melbourne to busk, and then on days like today (windy and gray) you won't make anything. on a good day, ill make anywhere from $70-$120, but today, I made $30. ive had worse days though.

Yup. shits tough sometimes. Busking is my "part time" job. I make enough at my normal job for rent and insurance, so busking feeds me. I usually play in a duo or group, but alone is better for actual profit.

Whenever I see buskers though, I give them cash if they actually entertain me, or are clearly homeless/squatters/whatever, trying to make a legit buck or two. Ill buy them coffee a lot as well
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
Quote by DempseyPunk
Yup. shits tough sometimes. Busking is my "part time" job. I make enough at my normal job for rent and insurance, so busking feeds me. I usually play in a duo or group, but alone is better for actual profit.

Whenever I see buskers though, I give them cash if they actually entertain me, or are clearly homeless/squatters/whatever, trying to make a legit buck or two. Ill buy them coffee a lot as well

Same. im friends with most of Melbournes good buskers, and ill throw them a few coins here and there, and same for the homeless, but the homeless have a better chance of a cup of coffee or water from me.
busking alone is where it's at, better profit, and you learn alot more about your skillset.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
donender
Get back to work
2,047 IQ
If the are good, i give them a quid or something, but if i'm short on change, i just smile and nod if we make eye contact.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
cptcomet
Band
648 IQ
I don't tend to stop to listen to them.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by progdude93
I walk right by them, because whenever I'm in a place where they happen to be, I'm actually doing something, or on my way to do something.

yeah

if they're doing something awesome i might drop them a quarter or two, or the devil horns handgesture if im drunk
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
926 IQ
Quote by Jacques-Henri
When I was in London I saw a guy doing some crazy stuff on a Chapman stick and I gave 5 quid. He was freakin' crazy.

Basically like this dude.
vid

That is sexy.

Glasgow has some decent buskers though my own town has some sick ones. We had this violinist who played some sick classical/jazz stuff. I tipped him a couple of quid.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Haroldus
18 IQ
I try to ignore them, but that's because I work in a local music shop. When I make eye contact they recognize me and then I have to be fun and give them cash or a discount or something, and when I'm out and about I'm REALLY not in the mood for that.
But in the occasion I see someone play that is genuinely good and entertaining, I'll pass them a few euro's
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
most around where i am are not worth listening to, let alone tipping. some are good tho, ive seen an excellent spoon playing old woman, believe it or not. another guy ive seen quite a few times playing accordion who is pretty good as well. if i catch myself standing and listening to them, ill usually throw the change in my pocket to them.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
I only ever stop to listen if they're some sort of horn player, generally. People who busk with string instruments are usually really, really boring.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

badfish_lewis
Tab Contributor
1,952 IQ
There's this one guy who busks outside the Beer Store near my place. He is there every time I go and even in the past few snow storms he's been there. I've never given him a cent because he absolutely sucks balls and is more of an annoyance than anything. I do admire his heart though, standing out there no matter what the weather, annoying the shit out of people
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Quote by naedauuf
How do you deal with/treat them?

I usually give them around 5 bucks if they're genuinely entertaining. Not necessarily talented, but entertaining. I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.

To become a busker here, now (this past decade), you need a license.
How to go about getting that license.. No one knows, or, a busker might, you could ask them while they're not playing, if they're happy to talk.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 28, 2013,
mjones1992
445 IQ
I actually recently got back from an attempted trip across the country (started in Pennsylvania, and tried to make it to California) hitchhiking/busking for food and cig money along way. I actually made some decent money. Busking at places like truck stops and gas stations yielded a hell of a lot more money during the day then playing in downtown areas, but at night it was definitely better to go near the bars.

I easily made enough to pay for my meals/cigs during the trip, and it sort of brought to light what most homeless (at least in the areas I was in) spend their money on. They pretend to need money for food and what not, but then they turn around and spend it all on drugs and alcohol. Hell, when I was passing through Kansas City, I made over $100 after busking for 5 hours and was able to buy myself a room for the night.

But ANYWAY, payout varies, but I'd say on a good weather day, you can average over $10 an hour, which is higher than minimum wage here in the states.

And incase anyone cares: I made it to Oklahoma City before getting tired of sleeping in parks and ditches with my guitar tied to my legs. But I made enough money busking to afford a Greyhound ticket back to Pennsylvania. The trip from Penn to Oklahoma took about 8 days total, and I probably made more money then I made working an actual job this year.

And if anyone attempts this. STAY OUT OF ST.LOUIS. Busking/Pan-handling is illegal and heavily enforced there. I literally got thrown out of every spot I tried to busk within 10 minutes. It's illegal in Oklahoma City too, but I felt like they took a hell of a lot longer to catch me.
jugglingfreak
UnBanned
66 IQ
Quote by naedauuf
I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.

Well, I can't exactly speak as a musical busker but from a juggling standpoint.

You get far more money if you are entertaining than technically proficient.

They majority of passers-by don't care about technically proficient, they want to see/hear something fun. Someone who can only strum open chords but has a nice voice and sings songs people want to hear will make money than some shredder.

In juggling, it like the "eat an apple while juggling" trick. It's lame, anyone who can juggle 3 objects can do it, but that is what people like to see. Seriously, people prefer to see jugglers doing that over watching someone do 7 clubs behind the back.

Also, people who interact with the "audience" get far better cash. You can have the best juggler in the world juggling the hardest tricks imaginable standing next to some guy doing 3 and 4 objects and cracking jokes with the audience, involving them in the show, etc. The 3 to 4 ball guy will make far more money.

The reason why? I'm a juggler. I love watching jugglers doing difficult technical tricks and it gets boring pretty quick. Now, take someone that doesn't really care that much, they'll get bored even faster.

So tl,dr: Entertaining buskers get money (regardless of technical ability).
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
I ignore them. The only one I've ever given money to is the rock violinist that's always playing here.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
I listen to them, and one time with a friend drunk/stoned of our asses on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road, I think it was (outside the Burger King, not the Mac'D's or the Subway). Was being critical of one who tried to play Stairway To Heaven, -- we just burst out/creased out laughing when he hit a bum note or, the wrong note in the intro, like, all was right but that note, and... We chuckled letting it be known; this was late, like 11pm, midnight, but, his playing was alright, I guess, we we're better but, he had drew a crowd, which included our young-ass-selfs.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 28, 2013,
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by byob_soad2
One time, I was playing my bass (unplugged) outside while waiting for my mom to pick me up, and some girl throws a quarter to/at me and made some stuck up comment. I kept that quarter though

I'd have flicked her off and threw her quarter back.

OT:
If they're good, I'm willing to give them a dollar or two. Most of the buskers around here think good = I play 3 chords. So, they don't get a cent.
BoyLilikoi
934 IQ
I see them all the time. Every time I go in the subway, or wander around downtown I come across them. Some of them are "famous" and draw crowds while others are just trying to get by. Most of them have their own corners, or subway stops. Occasionally I'll just come across someone with a sign that says "I'll tell you a joke for a quarter." I've never obliged.

If I have money on me, I'll tip someone who entertains me from time to time. I don't typically like to hear the traditional songs that would probably earn them the most money. If I have time to listen I'd like to hear a song that I've never heard before.

I also like going to cafe's that have lunch time live music. Usually just a guy and an acoustic. I'll sometimes give them a few bucks too.
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
Quote by treborillusion
I listen to them, and one time with a friend drunk/stoned of our asses on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road, I think it was (outside the Burger King, not the Mac'D's or the Subway). Was being critical of one who tried to play Stairway To Heaven, -- we just burst out/creased out laughing when he hit a bum note or, the wrong note in the intro, like, all was right but that note, and... We chuckled letting it be known; this was late, like 11pm, midnight, but, his playing was alright, I guess, we we're better but, he had drew a crowd, which included our young-ass-selfs.

seriously what does this even say
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
seriously what does this even say

Allow me to translate:
"Trebor and his buddy got high once and mocked a busker like jackasses."
randywolf244
resident arrogant
587 IQ
dude i used to make more busking than i do from my job lol i had one chick walk by and drop a benjamin once. im pretty sure she was mega-baked though lol. she prolly thought i was jimi hendrix or something playing train lol